• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

12CSVT

Established Member
Another random though what is the lowest team in the league that has gotten into Europe?

I'm probably right in thinking several Welsh clubs have played in the Cup Winners Cup (Newport County, Merthyr Tydfil to name two). When Newport played in Europe (1981 I think it was), they were in the lower divisions of the football league.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
Always a pleasure seeing Villa gettitng their just deserts.

Aw the Villa fans don't care about losing the semi, it was only a noddy cup after all - or it was when the "other" BCFC won it (and knocked them out along the way) ;)

I read that it was Villa's 2nd win of 2013 so things are not all bad :D

Donny Dave

Established Member
At a rough guess, Bradford are looking to earn roughly £1 million in gate money from the final alone (provided it's a sell out).

Not a bad guess I made last night ....

Bradford City's historic win worth £1 million

Bradford City's historic trip to Wembley could be worth £1m to the club, according to its joint chairman.

The Bantams became the first fourth-tier side in over 50 years to reach the League Cup final after beating Aston Villa on aggregate on Tuesday night.

Mark Lawn said it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" for potential sponsors, as well as for the club.

The League Two side will take on either Chelsea or Swansea at Wembley on 24 February.

Butts

Veteran Member
About time, and while they're at it could they please sack Garth Crooks.

He was a player nobody could stand and he's managed to seamlessly translate that into his t.v. work.

He's almost as "wooden" as John Barnes used to be when he did Channel Five a few years back :lol:

Lampshade

Established Member
I'm watching the Swansea vs Chelsea game - I think every football supporter with a heart is wanting a Swansea win tonight.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I decided to participate in the wintertime fun today and purchased an Aston Vill sledge. I've never gone downhill so fast in all my life.

Donny Dave

Established Member
What the hell did Wenger give to his players at half time? 1-1 at the break, 5-1 after 57 minutes! :shock:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Eden Hazard has been dismissed for kicking out at a ball that the ballboy was holding. That's a new one on me.

Donny Dave

Established Member
Hazard could be in for a lengthy ban then. The FA don't like it when players attack anyone else, let alone a young person who is helping out ....

Donny Dave

Established Member
Still no excuse to kick out at the ball boy.

I'm going to predict now that Hazard will get a ban similar in length to what Eric Cantona got for the kung-fu kick ....

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Phil6219

Looking at it, to me it seems the ball boy is the one who is out of order there. While Hazard should not have done what he did (effectively try and kick the ball from under the boy) he should not have been sent off.

Aside from that, fantastic now we can have a proper League Cup Final for the first time in decades...

Phil 8-)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looking at it, to me it seems the ball boy is the one who is out of order there. While Hazard should not have done what he did (effectively try and kick the ball from under the boy) he should not have been sent off.
Eh? I don't get this. If I did that I'd expect to be sacked instantly! Why are footballers allowed to get away with an assault?

The ballboy appears to have made an ill-advised tweet, and was doing a bit of timewasting, but that's no excuse for a fully grown up professional to act in that way. Absolutely pathetic.

Anyway good to see 2 real clubs (ie, not plastic parasites) in a major Final. Makes a refreshing change!

richw

Veteran Member

Aside from that, fantastic now we can have a proper League Cup Final for the first time in decades...

Phil 8-)

hazard is an adult and should know better. Can't condone his behaviour and is indefensible. It is violent conduct/ bringing game into disrepute/ ungentlemanly conduct. Take your pick which offence,

Phil6219

Again, I am not saying what he did is right what I am saying is that the ball boy was out of order.

One can not argue that "he is only a boy" as he has a responsibility and frankly has risked bringing his club into disrepute by his frankly childish actions. If he did that on his school playing field he would have been more than kicked.

Phil 8-)

Oswyntail

Established Member
Looking at it, to me it seems the ball boy is the one who is out of order there.....
Utter rubbish. If something is interfering with play, it is up to the officials to sort it out. It is not for the players to take matters into their own hands. Then it is in no way justifiable to use violence against anyone in a football match (which is why retaliation is an offence). Finally, even outside the rarified gentlemanliness of football "kicking someone while they are down" is a well-known phrase used to portray an unfair act. I would suggest a long suspension, huge fine, and legal proceedings hould be the outcome.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Again, I am not saying what he did is right what I am saying is that the ball boy was out of order.

The ballboy was probably emulating what some plastic pompous premier league footballers do themselves on occasion. Hardly surprising that youngsters follow such poor examples, is it?!

I still cannot see how you can justify that reaction. Yeah, the ballboy shouldn't be following the poor example of badly behaved footballers by acting like that, but a professional should know better than to kick the lad.

As I said before, I'd expect to be sacked instantly if I did that. Wouldn't you? The excuse "he was out of order" in order to somehow justify the action, would be a ridiculous excuse! I can think of loads of times I've witnessed people do fsr worse things than the ballboy, and I've somehow managed not to kick them. It's not exactly difficult... unless you're a multi-million earning footballer, I guess.

Phil6219

I'm not justifying the reaction, I am saying the ball boy should not have done what he did.

I did say that maybe the red card was harsh and upon reflection I retract that.

Phil 8-)

ReverendFozz

I'm not justifying the reaction, I am saying the ball boy should not have done what he did.

I did say that maybe the red card was harsh and upon reflection I retract that.

Phil 8-)

The ballboy should not have done what he did, it is the kids job to hand the ball back, I dont believe Hazard has intentionally kicked the boy, he was simply trying to kick the ball fro underneath him, I am not trying to justify his actions, he has been caught kicking out towards a kid and should be punished, I believe Hazard has apologised, give Hazard a hefty fine and a few games ban and draw a line under it.

The lad himself needs to answer questions about what the hell he thought he was doing, at the end of the day, he should have handed the ball straight to Hazard instead of fannying about

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pat Nevin, the former Chelsea player and once in a senior role at the PFA made quite an impassioned statement of his views on the matter this morning on BBC1 whilst being interviewed and claimed that the camera angle shown in the existing clip did not reveal what actually occurred.

I am still waiting to find out what offence the referee had decided upon, in order to issue the red card.

richw

Veteran Member
I've seen a few reports the ball boy is the son of one of the Swansea directors.
Rafa Benitez was spot on in his interview. Rafa said both hazard and the boy were in the wrong and both should be punished.