• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Do you mean Chester rather than Chesterfield ?
That's what I thought. Chesterfield play in the Vanarama National League and won 2-1 away at Bromley last night to move to 6th place in the table.

The name for this tournament would be European Club Championship Cup (or European Cup for short).
The very first European Cup final was held at the Parc des Princes in Paris on 13th June 1956 between Real Madrid of Spain and Reims of France, with an English referee, Arthur Ellis. Reims took a very early 2-0 lead, but Real Madrid gradually came more into the game and won the match 4-3. The only non-Spanish player in the Real Madrid side was a centre-forward whom I always admired, Alfredo di Stefano from Argentina, who scored 216 goals for them in 282 appearances.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
But I don't see Steaua Bucharest or any club of similar stature (Villa or Forest for example) coming close to European glory these days
You say that but Villa weren't far off this season, if Grealish hadn't gone off for several months with an injury then they could've been in the top four and made it to the Champions league.

roversfan2001

Established Member
You say that but Villa weren't far off this season, if Grealish hadn't gone off for several months with an injury then they could've been in the top four and made it to the Champions league.
Which, given they shouldn't even be in the Premier League this season, would have been extremely (un)fortunate*.

Disclaimer: I don't like Villa very much. :lol: The ghost goal against Sheffield United last season was an absolute disgrace though.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Which, given they shouldn't even be in the Premier League this season, would have been extremely (un)fortunate*.

Disclaimer: I don't like Villa very much. :lol: The ghost goal against Sheffield United last season was an absolute disgrace though.
I'd say with the performance this year they've safely proven they belong in the Premier League :lol: But you're definitely right about that Sheffield goal, it clearly went over the line.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I'd say with the performance this year they've safely proven they belong in the Premier League :lol: But you're definitely right about that Sheffield goal, it clearly went over the line.
In fairness to them they've done well, started like a house on fire so could afford to be a little bit pants for a few months. That goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Sheff Utd and they've still not recovered.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding the ESL proposals if/when the big six get well and truly booted off their horse. Could potentially be three of them finishing outside the top six this season. I suppose 7th place is a qualifying spot this season too after Man City won the League Cup.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In fairness to them they've done well, started like a house on fire so could afford to be a little bit pants for a few months. That goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Sheff Utd and they've still not recovered.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding the ESL proposals if/when the big six get well and truly booted off their horse. Could potentially be three of them finishing outside the top six this season. I suppose 7th place is a qualifying spot this season too after Man City won the League Cup.
Shame they couldn't keep it going, would be nice to have several 'non ESL' clubs in the top 4. Sheffield Utd are an absolute state this season, maybe with a few changes they'll have good luck in the championship next season.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Shame they couldn't keep it going, would be nice to have several 'non ESL' clubs in the top 4. Sheffield Utd are an absolute state this season, maybe with a few changes they'll have good luck in the championship next season.
I quite like Bramall Lane too so purely from a selfish point of view I'm glad we're playing them again next season. :D Sacking Wilder was a very strange move from them, they might have been awful this season but they're still in a far better position than they were when he took over.

Loppylugs

I hope the Sheffield 'keeper Aaron Ramsdale does not get too much blame for United's demise. We had him on loan at AFC Wimbledon for a season when he was at Bournemouth and he was our player of the year! A very confident young man in my opinion.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At Manchester United, I believe if the team came in losing at half-time when they had more than enough of the possession in the first half, it was said that Fergie was not averse to using "the hair dryer" treatment in his half-time beratement. I wonder what OGS said in his half time talk in the Europa Cup semi-final first leg at their home ground of Old Trafford, when they were 1-2 down, giving Roma two priceless away goals. Whatever it was, it certainly worked as in the second half, they scored five unanswered goals, winning 6-2.

Loppylugs

Downing my Bailey's after AFC Wimbledon's survival in League 1. Not the way we would like to have done it after a home defeat to Pompey but many thanks to Doncaster and Blackpool for saving our bacon.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
In the aftermath of the protests at Old Trafford today causing the game against Liverpool to be called off, I'm wondering if the rabble have shot themselves in the foot. United had to win to stand a remote chance of becoming champions but this action could result in a deduction of points thus handing the title to City on a plate.

Darandio

Established Member
In the aftermath of the protests at Old Trafford today causing the game against Liverpool to be called off, I'm wondering if the rabble have shot themselves in the foot. United had to win to stand a remote chance of becoming champions but this action could result in a deduction of points thus handing the title to City on a plate.

That would never happen, Sky would make sure it couldn't happen to their beloved United.

Speaking of which, their coverage this afternoon was a disgrace. The corporate mouthpieces of Carragher and Neville repeatedly claiming all protests were peaceful despite a video circulating on social media showing them speaking earlier to a steward/officer with his face peeled open. Souness got it right and called out the non-peaceful element where a flare had been thrown at the Sky gantry, they couldn't shut him down quickly enough.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That would never happen, Sky would make sure it couldn't happen to their beloved United.

Speaking of which, their coverage this afternoon was a disgrace. The corporate mouthpieces of Carragher and Neville repeatedly claiming all protests were peaceful despite a video circulating on social media showing them speaking earlier to a steward/officer with his face peeled open. Souness got it right and called out the non-peaceful element where a flare had been thrown at the Sky gantry, they couldn't shut him down quickly enough.
Has Sky really so much power over the authorities who decide upon those in charge of deciding what penalties to impose upon clubs. If so, we need a new authority in football.

daodao

Established Member

M/c United should be deducted 15 points for the farce today and forfeit the match.

Darandio

Established Member
Has Sky really so much power over the authorities who decide upon those in charge of deciding what penalties to impose upon clubs. If so, we need a new authority in football.

It wouldn't surprise me, Sky have far too much power these days when it comes to all matters Premier League.

Darandio

Established Member
That puts Sky on a par with the owners of the six Premier League clubs who attempted to join the aborted league.

It's why they have actively been giving people such as Gary Neville so much airtime to relay his personal views about the aborted league and club ownership, people like him have been inciting the behaviour seen today. Sky are very happy to give it a platform because they weren't at the table for the new league and are scared stiff of losing their iron grip.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Very well said. Don’t know why they were given so much air time to condone what went on.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Will 7th go into the Europa League or into that new Europa Conference League?

---------------------

Good to see an All premiership final for the Champions League again, hopefully both Man Utd & Arsenal will make it an all premiership final for the Europa League tomorrow.

JamesT

Established Member
Will 7th go into the Europa League or into that new Europa Conference League?

If 7th is in lieu of the EFL Cup winner then it would be the latter competition.

Of course, qualification for Europe is still very much in the air. Depending on who wins the two European competitions, 4th could be a Europa League spot instead of a Champions League one.

Good to see an All premiership final for the Champions League again, hopefully both Man Utd & Arsenal will make it an all premiership final for the Europa League tomorrow.

United hopefully can’t mess up a 6-2 lead, but I’m not convinced that Arsenal have the strength to overturn a deficit going into a crunch game.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Since the Champions League final is due to be played in Turkey, which currently is in a Covid-19 lockdown situation, will that affect the number of English supporters allowed to attend that match?

It’s absolute madness playing it there now. It should be played at Wembley in the current situation which would be better for everyone concerned.
Needless risk and expense for the teams and the fans isn’t it?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It’s absolute madness playing it there now. It should be played at Wembley in the current situation which would be better for everyone concerned.
Needless risk and expense for the teams and the fans isn’t it?
Especially for those Chelsea fans who would not have as far to travel as far that those from 'oop North to Wembley...:p.

How about playing it at Old Trafford?