• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I’m not sure how Raith Rovers can talk about rehabilitation if the player doesn’t accept his guilt or show remorse

Goodwillie has never shown any remorse, which seems to be the big sticking point.

I recall there being a Welsh player at Sheffield United in recent years, who done time for rape. There was controversy when he was released and rejoined The Blades, which led to Jessica Ennis requesting her name being removed from one of the stands at Brammall Lane.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesT

Established Member
Goodwillie has never shown any remorse, which seems to be the big sticking point.

I recall there being a Welsh player at Sheffield United in recent years, who done time for rape. There was controversy when he was released and rejoined The Blades, which led to Jessica Ennis requesting her name being removed from one of the stands at Brammall Lane.
Though a significant difference with Ched Evans is that his conviction was overturned and he was found not guilty after a retrial.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Celtic 3 Sevco 0. Normal service is resumed. :E:E:E

THC
Not my team but a great result for Scottish football - please don't mess it up Celts.
The goalkeeper was the only away player to score above 5 out of ten on the BBC ratings and the three next highest were the three half time subs. All 16 players used by Celtic were rated above 6 out of ten, with Joe Hart on 7.78 the lowest rated of the starting eleven but it sounds like he didn't have much to do.

Last edited:

THC

Not my team but a great result for Scottish football - please don't mess it up Celts.
Ange has his feet on the ground. He has us playing at times irresistible football, very much the Celtic way, and has quite an eye for a player - nine of last night's starters signed since he took over last summer. There's a long way to go of course but the dreck served up under Lennon last season is beginning to recede from memory. Whatever happens from here, it'll be quite a ride.

THC

SteveM70

Established Member
Who actually supplies the player ratings on the BBC website?

Anyone who chooses to log on and do it. So obviously it can get distorted. But it still isn’t as bad as Garth Crooks’ team of the week, which regularly features stuff like two defenders, attacking midfielders at wingback etc etc

SteveM70

Established Member
So, Celtic beat Rangers 3-0 in last night's Old Firm game, and the home team's players get decent ratings. Quelle surprise! ;)

I didn’t mean last night’s where distorted, just that certain players tend to get scores that don’t always reflect their performances, but instead reflect (un)popularity or reputation

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
After their lucky escape against Kidderminster today, there is a new team called West Jam United.
Reminded me of their narrow escape from a giant-killing at the hands of Emley FC (then of the Northern Premier League) in 1998.

Huddersfield Town go into the hat for the 5th round, after a weather-affected (in terms of quality) 1-0 win over Barnsley (the Town v. "Tahn" derby). Nice to have a bit of a run to mark 100 years since Huddersfield won the cup, but we've not been beyond the 5th round in my lifetime... and we're running out of possible "easy" draws!

EastisECML

Reminded me of their narrow escape from a giant-killing at the hands of Emley FC (then of the Northern Premier League) in 1998.

Huddersfield Town go into the hat for the 5th round, after a weather-affected (in terms of quality) 1-0 win over Barnsley (the Town v. "Tahn" derby). Nice to have a bit of a run to mark 100 years since Huddersfield won the cup, but we've not been beyond the 5th round in my lifetime... and we're running out of possible "easy" draws!
West Ham were never behind against Emley though. Yesterday they were minutes away from what might have been the biggest gap between 'upsetters' and 'upsettees' in FA Cup history? For most of that match it looked like West Ham had no way back into the contest.

Nice thinking back to Emley though, pretty sure the entire village was empty that day so they had to station police there to deter burglars.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
West Ham were never behind against Emley though. Yesterday they were minutes away from what might have been the biggest gap between 'upsetters' and 'upsettees' in FA Cup history? For most of that match it looked like West Ham had no way back into the contest.

Nice thinking back to Emley though, pretty sure the entire village was empty that day so they had to station police there to deter burglars.
That FA Cup run might have indirectly led to the original club's eventual downfall after moving to Wakefield. With hindsight, even the NPL was a higher level than a team from a village of around 2k people could sustainably compete at. Wakefield itself being very much a rugby league city, with soccer fans from the city being split between nearby Leeds, Huddersfield, Barnsley and (to a lesser extent) the two Sheffield league clubs.

Nottingham Forest away for Huddersfield in the next round... well, it was good while it lasted!

EastisECML

That FA Cup run might have indirectly led to the original club's eventual downfall after moving to Wakefield. With hindsight, even the NPL was a higher level than a team from a village of around 2k people could sustainably compete at. Wakefield itself being very much a rugby league city, with soccer fans from the city being split between nearby Leeds, Huddersfield, Barnsley and (to a lesser extent) the two Sheffield league clubs.

Nottingham Forest away for Huddersfield in the next round... well, it was good while it lasted!
I remember the first season they moved they got over 3500 for a match against Stalybridge who they were competing with for promotion. But after that, they were lost in that stadium.

From what I think I know they've now moved to a much smaller ground in Wakefield and Emley supporters have started their own club back in the village? They have a decent little ground which borders the cricket pitch iirc.

SteveM70

Established Member
I remember the first season they moved they got over 3500 for a match against Stalybridge who they were competing with for promotion. But after that, they were lost in that stadium.

From what I think I know they've now moved to a much smaller ground in Wakefield and Emley supporters have started their own club back in the village? They have a decent little ground which borders the cricket pitch iirc.

Wakefield FC (the continuation of Emley) were wound up about 2013ish. They had a tidy little ground at College Grove; we went there with Halifax in 2009/10. At the time Marc Roberts was there, who’s now at Birmingham

There’s a separate Emley AFC now

75A

Established Member
Setting up a nice trip to Merseyside (Everton) in the next round.
I went there in the 90's following Woking, and had a cracking day out, nice friendly people.

SteveM70

Established Member
Setting up a nice trip to Merseyside (Everton) in the next round.
I went there in the 90's following Woking, and had a cracking day out, nice friendly people.

Unless they’ve improved it a lot, the view from the away section is shocking!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wakefield FC (the continuation of Emley) were wound up about 2013ish. They had a tidy little ground at College Grove; we went there with Halifax in 2009/10. At the time Marc Roberts was there, who’s now at Birmingham

There’s a separate Emley AFC now
The closest thing Wakefield has now to a club of its own is probably Ossett United (formed in 2017 through the merger of Ossett Town and Ossett Albion) who play in the Northern Premier League Division One East (tier 8 of the pyramid).

Carlisle

Established Member
Disappointing to see Kurt Zouma playing for West Ham tonight given his highly publicised mistreatment of animals .

Last edited:

75A

Established Member
Good to hear, I only had the BBC text going…
Sat down last night watching all 3 games by flicking channels, didn't take me long to realise that St James Park was going to be special. The intensity was awesome & I decided that I'd concentrate solely on it, and boy was I glad I did. Alan Saint-Maximin really was outstanding and I shall definately try to watch 'the Barcodes' again and based on last night, really hope they stay up.

Darandio

Established Member
we cant be having that! We don't need Newcastle getting all three legends "gonna win the league man Malcolm man" again! It is unbearable.

Despite supporting none of the clubs I have to confess I didn't mind listening to those three despite the constant delusion. Guilty!