• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loppylugs

Things have changed so much when you see Wrexham paying a possible 300K for a League 1 player this week.

Ollie Palmer from AFC Wimbledon, the only player to have scored for us in the past 7 games , including a defeat by Boreham Wood in the Cup! We couldn't compete with the terms Wrexham offered him, no point in hanging on to a player who wants to leave for more cash. Can't blame him at his age. Will probably play them in League 2 next season.

Gemz91

York City 0-3 Bradford Park Avenue

The worst home performance in my living memory at least. We are never getting out of this league, 5 years and counting....

Whats happened to York? Had the commentary on on Tuesday night (couldn't make the game). I get there's a alot of unhappy fans about your board, whats happening? Not investing like you expect them to? Unrest in the team?

Must be hard a hard pill for you to swallow to see Harrogate Town in the football league now!

scotrail158713

Established Member
Wind will inevitably affect many games today right across the country - in fact the Highland League have agreed to a blanket postponement of all games. However there are certain grounds that are more susceptible than others in football and having had a look through the fixtures, Arbroath v Partick Thistle strikes me as one that could be made "interesting" due to the conditions. Sensibly it has been called off.

Last edited:

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
What a signing Luis Diaz will be for Liverpool. An absolute quality player. Just find it even funnier how Spurs have literally bottled everything, can't even sign players despite offering to pay more.

EastisECML

Whats happened to York? Had the commentary on on Tuesday night (couldn't make the game). I get there's a alot of unhappy fans about your board, whats happening? Not investing like you expect them to? Unrest in the team?

Must be hard a hard pill for you to swallow to see Harrogate Town in the football league now!
Back in 2012 I saw York beat Luton at Wembley to gain promotion from the National League to League Two. Ten years later and Luton are three levels above that and York one level below. Ten years is a long time but it's a hell of a turn around.

Feels similar to how in 1995 I saw my club (Blyth Spartans) play away to then League One club Stockport County in the 2nd round of the FA Cup. After that Stockport progressed to the Championship. Then we eventually ended up in the same league as each other for a couple of seasons.

And there are a number of clubs now in the football league who were not so long ago regular opponents of my club. Salford, Harrogate, Accrington, Fleetwood and for one season Burton Albion.

I wonder who will be the next established League club to dramatically decline and which small non-league will rapidly rise and overtake nearby larger neighbours?

Football is fun.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Back in 2012 I saw York beat Luton at Wembley to gain promotion from the National League to League Two. Ten years later and Luton are three levels above that and York one level below. Ten years is a long time but it's a hell of a turn around.

Feels similar to how in 1995 I saw my club (Blyth Spartans) play away to then League One club Stockport County in the 2nd round of the FA Cup. After that Stockport progressed to the Championship. Then we eventually ended up in the same league as each other for a couple of seasons.

And there are a number of clubs now in the football league who were not so long ago regular opponents of my club. Salford, Harrogate, Accrington, Fleetwood and for one season Burton Albion.

I wonder who will be the next established League club to dramatically decline and which small non-league will rapidly rise and overtake nearby larger neighbours?

Football is fun.
If their form does not dramatically improve, Oldham Athletic, a founder member of the Premier League, will end up next season in the National League, the first team to do so.

Some big scores from League 1 today:
Gillingham 2-7 Oxford United
Bolton Wanderers 6-0 Sunderland

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Back to a more mundane level, when Hyde United appointed the "Stockport Legend" known as Jim Gannon, some supporters were of the opinion that his managerial experience would blossom forth at the level of the Northern Premier League, Premier Division.

How wrong they are. Today's 2-1 home defeat against Buxton was their fourth successive league home defeat and Gannon has guided Hyde United from a good league position of ninth to those "down amongst the dead men" and having played more games than some around them.

EastisECML

Hyde are another up and down sort of club who seemed to have gone from amazing progress to the brown stuff hitting the fan. Another one of Blyth's once regular opponents who we've not seen for a while. I remember back at the turn of the century they always seemed to be able to find another prolific scorer to replace the previous one. Simon Yeo, Chris Simm, etc.

EastisECML

Has there been a dramatic increase in the number of supporters at matches suffering serious medical emergencies that require the match to be stopped? I'm sure this didn't use to be a thing until a few months ago. And now it seems to happen every week.

Maybe this has always been a thing but it never gained attention but now people realise it's acceptable to have the match halted to maximise the chances of a full medical response? Or maybe covid has made people more vulnerable and with football matches being a gathering of hundreds to tens of thousands it's just inevitable there'll be someone becoming ill?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Football is fun.

I would have a guess and say Derby County as they are presently in administration with there not being much time left.

Should if The Rams go into liquidation, the new outfit would probably have to start somewhere lower in the league pyramid.

Derby County were once at one time managed by Middlesbrough's finest Brian Clough, who went on to win the European Cup with Nottingham Forest in 1979 and retaining it the next year, having done it the proper way by winning the top flight division the previous season.

SteveM70

Established Member
Should if The Rams go into liquidation, the new outfit would probably have to start somewhere lower in the league pyramid.

The precedent with liquidation is tier 8 if the league concerned will have them - it’s what happened with Halifax and Chester (and Darlington I think). Macclesfield and Bury restarted lower than that

EastisECML

Darlington were placed in the Northern League (I can't remember if it was division one or two) but made very short work of it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Darlington were placed in the Northern League (I can't remember if it was division one or two) but made very short work of it.
It was the Northern League Division One, the ninth tier of English football. Season 2012-13. Finished as league champions with 40 wins from 46 league games and so were promoted (to the Northern Premier League Division One North). Competed as Darlington 1883.

SteveM70

Established Member
It was the Northern League Division One, the ninth tier of English football. Season 2012-13. Finished as league champions with 40 wins from 46 league games and so were promoted (to the Northern Premier League Division One North). Competed as Darlington 1883.

That rings a bell now you mention it. Wasn’t it because the ground they intended to use (ie not the Reynolds Arena or whatever it was called) wasn’t accepted by the Northern Premier League (known as Unibond or Evostik league)? So for footballing/financial reasons they’d have been tier 8 but the ground meant tier 9?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe the old Darlington club had gone into administration for one last time in 2012, and so Darlington 1883 was effectively a new club, meaning that the Northern League Division One was deemed as high up in the non league pyramid that a new club could be placed.

The initial groundshare was with Bishop Auckland FC and the new Darlington club were still there by the time they had been promoted up to the Northern Premier League. Think that by the time that promotion from the Northern Premier League to the National League had become a real possibility, plans were already in hand to move to a more suitable venue (Blackwell Meadows) with potential for higher ground grading, sharing with the local RU club.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The precedent with liquidation is tier 8 if the league concerned will have them - it’s what happened with Halifax and Chester (and Darlington I think). Macclesfield and Bury restarted lower than that

@DarloRich is the one who can give chapter and verse concerning matters of that ilk that affected Darlington FC.
Darlington weren't liquidated. We were in administration and were bought out of administration by a fans consortium. Sadly, our owner at the time ( who know owns Hartlepooh untied and for whom any comment I make would be libellous) would not agree a company voluntary agreement as major creditor or hand over the football competition "golden share" as club owner. We were a Conference Clubs at the time although subject to a 10 point deduction for entering administration.

National League ( and I think Football league rules) say that you cant exit administration and continue in the league without the CVA. This was brought in after Middlesbrough did something similar to our approach in 1986 when Steve Gibson saved that club.

Therefore as the previous owner wouldn't agree a CVA we were relegated from the national league system which was bad enough but when the former owner refused to hand over the "golden share" we were unable to compete in any FA competition. The FA in their all knowing wisdom ( who approved the previous owner as a fit and proper person to run a football club) then decided that in order to get a new "golden share" we had to change our name and start again in the northern league. There is some suggestion the FA advised that this would not happen then changed their mind after the deal had been done which went down, erm, "badly".

With a CVA and the golden share we would have been placed in the NPL with a points deduction. With only the golden share but no CVA I THINK we would have started in the NPL. We couldn't even play in the FA cup for a few years after all this nonsesne!
Believe the old Darlington club had gone into administration for one last time in 2012, and so Darlington 1883 was effectively a new club, meaning that the Northern League Division One was deemed as high up in the non league pyramid that a new club could be placed.

The initial groundshare was with Bishop Auckland FC and the new Darlington club were still there by the time they had been promoted up to the Northern Premier League. Think that by the time that promotion from the Northern Premier League to the National League had become a real possibility, plans were already in hand to move to a more suitable venue (Blackwell Meadows) with potential for higher ground grading, sharing with the local RU club.
We aren't a new club. There isn't an "old" club. It is the same club I started supporting 30 odd years ago with the one key difference that I now own some of it. It really IS my club. I/we don't care what the FA blazers or wiki or anyone else says. We are the same club: One club, one name, one history.

In any event if Derby go pop ( and I don't think they will) I BET the FA don't follow their own precedent. I bet Derby don't start in the northern league and I bet they don't have to change their name. The FA are clueless and will make it up as they go along. Derby are a bigger name than Darlington so will get a "better treatment.

Meole

Do Derby deserve more sympathy than Bury ?
Do not forget the stunt that miracle club Leicester pulled.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That rings a bell now you mention it. Wasn’t it because the ground they intended to use (ie not the Reynolds Arena or whatever it was called) wasn’t accepted by the Northern Premier League (known as Unibond or Evostik league)? So for footballing/financial reasons they’d have been tier 8 but the ground meant tier 9?
The arena was repossessed by the people who had loans secured against it and sold off to the other rugby club in town. We didn't have a hope of buying that ground at the time! We were going to play at Shildon but that was deemed to be less than ideal for such a large following on safety grounds. We then moved to play at Bishop Auckland which is a newer ground and would allow for us to stay there and advance up the leagues until we could return to Darlington. I think Shildon would have been good for Northern League only.

We had already been placed in the northern League before the ground change so the playing location had no influence on that.

Do Derby deserve more sympathy than Bury ?
No - but they will get a better deal if it comes to it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
We aren't a new club. There isn't an "old" club. It is the same club I started supporting 30 odd years ago with the one key difference that I now own some of it. It really IS my club. I/we don't care what the FA blazers or wiki or anyone else says. We are the same club: One club, one name, one history.

As I recall, Rangers FC supporters in Scotland have made a similar argument.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
As I recall, Rangers FC supporters in Scotland have made a similar argument.

I think what DarloRich was explaining was that in 2012, Darlington did not have to apply to the FA as a new outfit when the fans gained control, similar as to when Accrington Stanley although they folded in the early 1960s, they never resigned membership of the FA which explains the continuation of the club.

The situation in Scotland was that the 1872-2012 incarnation of Glasgow Rangers went into liquidation after it emerged that the former owner David Murray had continued using what was Employment Benefit Trusts and giving big money players two contracts to sign (one version for the SFA/FA, and another for the EBT). This used to be acceptable a while ago, as some other sides in Scotland, plus the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, the Manchester clubs, etc were all using them. at some point, HMRC had ruled the EBTs as illegal, and all clubs except one had stopped using them.

Murray eventually bailed out when the noose was starting to tighten and when the Bank of Scotland were going to call in the debts that were owed. Murray sold to the South African businessman/con artist Craig Whyte, who had used season ticket money to buy out Murray (effectively mugging the fans twice). In 2012, Glasgow Rangers went into administration, then liquidation. The present day outfit was established by Charles Green (the same Charles Green who was "the saviour" of Sheffield United, who left them in a worse financial position compared to when he first took over) as Sevco (which became The Rangers, then Rangers International FC) and applied to the Scottish FA as a new member during the summer of 2012 and started in the fourth tier for the new season that began in August 2012. It is noted that the original 1872-2012 incarnation of the club was also still a member of the SFA.

I have a friend who once worked at Ibrox on matchdays and event days providing hospitality services. My friend is still owed money from Murray and has still not been paid almost ten years on. Being as the liquidation process has been a long drawn out affair (it has still not yet concluded), my friend (once the court hearings for the liquidation process have been completed) is (alongside some other individuals who provided all the small things on matchdays and are owed money) going to attempt to bring a lawsuit against Murray and to get him in the dock for tax fraud (ideally the first preference being the Old Bailey in London, as it is outwith Murray's comfort zone), have him stripped of his knighthood, and to have Murray sent to jail.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think what DarloRich was explaining was that in 2012, Darlington did not have to apply to the FA as a new outfit when the fans gained control, similar as to when Accrington Stanley although they folded in the early 1960s, they never resigned membership of the FA which explains the continuation of the club.
This contemporary local newspaper story (see link below) seems to indicate that the club named Darlington 1883 was considered at the time by the Football Association, rightly or wrongly, to be a new club.

The Northern Echo (30th May 2012) said:
...the Football Association believes that the current club is a separate entity and, as they did not register before April 1, are unable to play in the knockout competitions next season.

An FA spokesman said: "The deadline was April 1 and, of course, the new club wasn't running then. We'd like to have accommodated them but we can't...

Thanks for clarifying/summarising the position as regards Rangers FC.