• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
This contemporary local newspaper story (see link below) seems to indicate that the club named Darlington 1883 was considered at the time by the Football Association, rightly or wrongly, to be a new club.

Thanks for clarifying/summarising the position as regards Rangers FC.

I am not intending to be controversial here, but regarding Rangers FC, it can be divisive up here.

It is not really helped by the two separate memberships back in the summer of 2012 throwing a spanner in the works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I see Lee Johnson has been sacked from Sunderland after their 6-0 defeat away at Bolton.

They are still in a great position for automatic promotion- why upset the apple cart?

If it's not broke don't fix it, I say...

Butts

Veteran Member
I see Lee Johnson has been sacked from Sunderland after their 6-0 defeat away at Bolton.

They are still in a great position for automatic promotion- why upset the apple cart?

If it's not broke don't fix it, I say...

Time for Steve Bruce to return ?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Time for Steve Bruce to return ?

Steve Bruce was last in charge at Sunderland between July 2009 and November 2011 when the Black Cats were still a mid table Premier League club. They're now in League One of course.

But does Bruce really need to work in football again, ever, with all the various pay-offs he has had over the years?

Typhoon

Established Member
Steve Bruce was last in charge at Sunderland between July 2009 and November 2011 when the Black Cats were still a mid table Premier League club. They're now in League One of course.

But does Bruce really need to work in football again, ever, with all the various pay-offs he has had over the years?
No, but .... The 'but' is it is nothing to do with the money - if he can get Sunderland promoted and Newcastle are relegated? If offered it, why not say that he'll take the job until the end of the season It will be better than saying that in the last job was being pushed out of a club in the relegation zone. They are in a good place although it is a strong league - Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth all outside the play-offs but were strongly fancied earlier. Bolton have brought in a shoal of new players.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
considered at the time by the Football Association, rightly or wrongly, to be a new club
Like I said: I know what the FA thought and I don't care. We bought the football club, we saved it, we paid off the debt and they and Raj Singh didn't kill us despite thier best efforts.

This club named Darlington 1883 doesn't exist. Darlington Football Club exists and has done since 1883.

On Moderation
Regardless of which club you support, it’s great to see Christian Eriksen back with a club again and hopefully getting some time on the pitch.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Regardless of which club you support, it’s great to see Christian Eriksen back with a club again and hopefully getting some time on the pitch.
Absolutely - I hope he is fit and well and does a great job.

EDIT - just been thinking back on this and how shocking it was to see. Awful. Cant imagine how his family must have felt to see everything played out on live TV.

Last edited:

EastisECML

Like I said: I know what the FA thought and I don't care. We bought the football club, we saved it, we paid off the debt and they and Raj Singh didn't kill us despite thier best efforts.

This club named Darlington 1883 doesn't exist. Darlington Football Club exists and has done since 1883.
Agree, Darlington are the Darlington they've always been.

On a related note I think Nuneaton have recently been granted the Borough name back?

8A Rail

Established Member
Manchester United have been very quick in their actions against Mason Greenwood.

They have indeed but the guy is innocent until proved otherwise. Surely he is not that stupid, also would not surprise me if it was stitch up too. In this day and age, you never know but will not make no further comment and let the 'law' takes its course (by the way I'm not a MUFC supporter either).

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I think what DarloRich was explaining was that in 2012, Darlington did not have to apply to the FA as a new outfit when the fans gained control, similar as to when Accrington Stanley although they folded in the early 1960s, they never resigned membership of the FA which explains the continuation of the club.
I do think that in terms of the fans etc its a bit more complicated than the strict legal perspective though. I have little doubt Rangers fans see the club as the same club that existed before 2012. And of course you then have cases like Wimbledon / MK Dons - where I am sure most football fans see AFC Wimbledon as the real continuation of the club rather than MK Dons.
Manchester United have been very quick in their actions against Mason Greenwood.
I'm not sure they had much other choice really given the seriousness of the allegations. Certainly not the Sunday morning the club would have been prepared for though!
They have indeed but the guy is innocent until proved otherwise. Surely he is not that stupid, also would not surprise me if it was stitch up too. In this day and age, you never know but will not make no further comment and let the 'law' takes its course (by the way I'm not a MUFC supporter either).
Innocent until proven otherwise - however suspension pending an investigation is fairly common across many industries and workplaces when major allegations come to light, let alone one where the person is a major public figure and as such his contract will very much contain clauses around his behaviour and how it makes the club look in the public eye.
As far his guilt or not, as you say that is up to our justice system to deal with, but the evidence seems pretty solid to me and a stitch up would have required substantial work given the recording and the photo.

SteveM70

Established Member
As far his guilt or not, as you say that is up to our justice system to deal with, but the evidence seems pretty solid to me and a stitch up would have required substantial work given the recording and the photo

Indeed, and a stitch up that if revealed would almost certainly result in pretty serious criminal charges against the perpetrator. But who knows, in this mad world

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interestingly, the limited liability company 'Darlington 1883 Limited' very much does exist. It's the legal entity incorporated in 2012 which currently trades/operates as 'Darlington Football Club'.

See link to club website...

The name change from 'Darlington 1883' to 'Darlington FC' was only approved in 2017, which suggests that 'Darlington FC' wasn't the club name officially in use between 2012 and 2017.

Legal technicalities aside, if Darlington FC supporters consider that their club has continuously been in existence since 1883, then that is their prerogative, but the facts would seem to suggest otherwise.

Link to club website...

Good though that there is a senior club back in the town, and once again bearing the traditional name of the club.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
which suggests that 'Darlington FC' wasn't the club name officially in use between 2012 and 2017.
it was the club name and it was in use other than by FA blazers, trolls and hangers.

Interestingly, the limited liability company 'Darlington 1883 Limited' very much does exist.
That is the LLC that owns the football club. That could be called anything. It has no bearing on the name of the club. The club is called Darlington Football Club.

Good though that there is a senior club back in the town, and once again bearing the traditional name of the club.
We never went way, although is is nice that Darlington Football Club ( founded 1883) are back playing in the town. Sadly that isn't at Feethams but we cant have everything.

Last edited:

Loppylugs

We never went way, although is is nice that Darlington Football Club ( founded 1883) are back playing in the town.

Agree fully with everything you have been saying. The FA are clueless. As an AFC Wimbledon supporter, our reformation has been miraculous after our club was ripped away from under our feet and transported 70 miles away to Franchiseland, with the blessing of the useless FA. Winkleman couldn't be bothered starting a club from scratch so pinched ours. In the words of the FA, AFC's formation "is not in the best interests of football". Well, stuff you, we did it, proud of what we've achieved and now back in our home town too.
I wish Darlington all the best for the future, will be good to see them back in the league, hopefully in the near future.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wish Darlington all the best for the future, will be good to see them back in the league, hopefully in the near future.
thanks - it will be a while. We haven't got the financial muscle to get much higher than we are now. The northern section of the conference has a lot of coined up clubs which make sit really hard. The conference is about 95% full time and we cant support that kind of spend.

Well, stuff you, we did it, proud of what we've achieved and now back in our home town too.
Balls to them. All the FA care about is the PL.

Loppylugs

The poor tired PL players had to have a week off so they can recuperate from their efforts. A ruse to help them through the Cup round this weekend so that we can see the same old boring final again. Meanwhile, lower league clubs are playing at least twice a week now.

75A

Established Member
As a supporter of Bognor Regis Town couldn't have been happier when Wimbledon(a team we had played in 1972) gave 2 fingers to the FA (and MK Dons) and have done really well.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As a supporter of Bognor Regis Town couldn't have been happier when Wimbledon(a team we had played in 1972) gave 2 fingers to the FA (and MK Dons) and have done really well.
Of course AFC Wimbledon is the new club and MK Dons is “continuity Wimbledon” which pretends not to be any more!

Neither club is anything like the old Wimbledon.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Of course AFC Wimbledon is the new club and MK Dons is “continuity Wimbledon” which pretends not to be any more!

Neither club is anything like the old Wimbledon.
All historical achievements of the "old" Wimbledon now belong to AFC Wimbledon, not MK Dons... and rightly so.
MK might be the continuity club in a legal/business sense (and even that's debatable with them having been in administration around that time), but in terms of footballing honours, footballing pedigree, and most importantly the feelings of the supporters, AFC Wimbledon and Wimbledon are to all intents and purposes the same club.

birchesgreen

Established Member
All historical achievements of the "old" Wimbledon now belong to AFC Wimbledon, not MK Dons... and rightly so.
MK might be the continuity club in a legal/business sense (and even that's debatable with them having been in administration around that time), but in terms of footballing honours, footballing pedigree, and most importantly the feelings of the supporters, AFC Wimbledon and Wimbledon are to all intents and purposes the same club.
Indeed, i have a friend who has been a Wimbledon fan since the 80s, AFC is the same club as far as he is concerned.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Wimbledon’s honours went to the London Borough of Merton, not to AFC. The footballing pedigree of AFC is nothing at all like “old Wimbledon” and it is just the fans that consider it a continuity club, even though the spirit of the club is unrecognisable from the Crazy Gang and I’ve yet to hear them sing about their famous FA Cup win of ‘88.

There is no doubt whatsoever that MK Dons are the continuity Wimbledon, in a real sense, although the club doesn’t claim any of the heritage of the old Wimbledon.

Old Wimbledon is very much dead and both AFC and MK are entirely new outfits, and to be honest that’s a perfectly good thing. One club died and two sprang up.

Butts

Veteran Member
Wimbledon’s honours went to the London Borough of Merton, not to AFC. The footballing pedigree of AFC is nothing at all like “old Wimbledon” and it is just the fans that consider it a continuity club, even though the spirit of the club is unrecognisable from the Crazy Gang and I’ve yet to hear them sing about their famous FA Cup win of ‘88.

There is no doubt whatsoever that MK Dons are the continuity Wimbledon, in a real sense, although the club doesn’t claim any of the heritage of the old Wimbledon.

Old Wimbledon is very much dead and both AFC and MK are entirely new outfits, and to be honest that’s a perfectly good thing. One club died and two sprang up.

Did you ever have the misfortune to visit Plough Lane to be greeted by a torrent of urine flowing down the terraces and lavatories whose "aroma" made sitting in close proximity to a Voyager Toilet a preferable experience ?

Having said that I still remember the 1988 ? FA Cup Final when they turned Liverpool over :E

Loppylugs

Oh no, we are the continuation of the old Wimbledon and all our feats achieved during non-league days and league successes from 1977 onwards are listed as ours. Two didn't spring up. One shifted 70 miles away and caused the demise of Milton Keynes City FC.

Did you ever have the misfortune to visit Plough Lane to be greeted by a torrent of urine flowing down the terraces and lavatories whose "aroma" made sitting in close proximity to a Voyager Toilet a preferable experience ?

Having said that I still remember the 1988 ? FA Cup Final when they turned Liverpool over :E

I stood on those terraces for many years and never experienced that. Agreed, the ground was in poor condition as regards to the facilities most grounds enjoy today, but it's non-league heritage scared the living daylights out of the opposition.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Oh no, we are the continuation of the old Wimbledon and all our feats achieved during non-league days and league successes from 1977 onwards are listed as ours. Two didn't spring up. One shifted 70 miles away and caused the demise of Milton Keynes City FC.
Nobody is stopping you believing that. :)

The 1988 FA Cup final was won by Wimbledon, who ceased to exist, and the trophy and "honour" is with the London Borough of Merton, a fair outcome.

AFC claim the honours but they didn't actually win them. Even the AFC site admits this by saying they "believe" they are the "continuation of a spirit"..."kept Wimbledon alive until May 2002". (well yes, they died!). When MK Dons met AFC in the FA Cup neither side believed they had ever won the FA Cup before and no reference was made to it.

Wimbledon is dead, AFC are the new club, long live AFC and it is good they are back in the Football League.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
There has been various people making their feelings known with Raith Rovers over their controversial signing of David Goodwillie, who faced trail for rape and has been branded as a rapist by the judge.

So much has been the outcry that the main sponsor - the writer and broadcaster Val McDermid has withdrawn her sponsorship of the club.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60218045 in its original form which contains some images.

David Goodwillie: Signing could be 'devastating' for women's football​

Published
38 minutes ago

Raith Rovers' decision to sign David Goodwillie has been described as "badly misjudged" by the chief executive of Scottish Women's Football.
Aileen Campbell said the move could have "devastating" consequences for the women's game in Scotland.
Author Val McDermid said Raith Rovers' girls and women's teams had started to sever ties with the club.
Goodwillie was ruled to be a rapist and ordered to pay damages in a civil case in 2017.
Two Raith Rovers directors and the captain of its women's team have resigned in protest at his signing.
Ms McDermid has withdrawn her sponsorship of the club over the move.
But the club has defended its decision, which it said was primarily based on Goodwillie's abilities on the pitch.
Speaking to BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, Aileen Campbell urged the club to reconsider its decision.
The chief executive of Scottish Women's Football, who is a former MSP, said: "The fact the women's club have lost their captain as a result of this is devastating.
"That would be a devastating consequence to lose women from the game as a result of this poor decision."

Ms McDermid told BBC Radio Four's Woman's Hour that she was now focusing on supporting the Raith Rovers' girls and women's teams, from under-10 to senior level.
She said the signing of Goodwillie had left the women's teams "appalled and horrified".
"They had a meeting last night and the upshot of that is, essentially, they want to completely distance themselves from Raith Rovers Football Club," she said.
"They are currently, as we speak, having new shirts printed that don't have the Raith Rovers crest on them.
"They are committed to playing their fixture on Sunday not at Stark's Park, Raith Rovers' ground, but at another ground in the town, at the Windmill pitches."
Ms McDermid said they were also talking about changing the name of the club and were "adamant they no longer wish to be associated with Raith Rovers".
She said she would sponsor the team's new shirts.

Media caption,
McDermid says she was given assurances that the deal would not happen
The author also said that she had been assured there was no substance to rumours that Goodwillie would join in the January transfer window.
She said she spoke to Raith Rovers' chief executive, who told her the club had "no interest" in the player.
"Next thing I know she is negotiating his transfer, so there you go, that's the kind of people we are dealing with here," she said.
Ms McDermid, whose father was a scout for the club, told the programme the signing and its fall-out had been "heartbreaking" for her.
The author was the Scottish Championship team's main shirt sponsor, but said that deal would now end this summer as a result of the signing.
BBC Scotland has asked the club for a response to Ms McDermid's comments.
Judy Hamilton, chair of the Raith Rovers Community Foundation, said she had been shocked to learn about the signing on Monday night and believes the decision "was not risk assessed" by the club.

The captain of the club's women's team, Tyler Rattray, resigned in protest, as did directors Bill Clark and Andrew Mill and supporter liaison officer Margie Robertson.
On Wednesday First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said footballers were role models and urged the club to "think again" about its decision.
"We are talking about a football player who, in a civil court, was found to have raped a woman, who as far as I am aware has never really expressed any real remorse or reflection and I think that sends a really damaging message," she added.
Ms Sturgeon said society still has a long way to go to address issues such as sexual violence and misogyny.
She added: "I would hope Raith Rovers reflect very carefully on the groundswell of opinion that has been expressed over the last 24 hours, from all walks of life but particularly from their own fan base and perhaps think again about this decision."
Former UK prime minister Gordon Brown, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, also said he could not support the signing.
Presentational grey line

Analysis box by Chris McLaughlin, Sports news correspondent

The statement from Raith Rovers has not gone down well.
The references to David Goodwillie's abilities, and the underlining of the decision being about football, did little to quell the unrest that continues to grow.
If anything, it may well have made matters worse for the club. Those opposed to the signing of David Goodwillie were well aware that football was the reason.
Raith Rovers gambled on the flak being manageable. For them it was a risk worth taking.
There is some sympathy for the club's position. Various people from within the game have told me that the fall-out is unreasonable and that football should be an outlet for rehabilitation - but none of those were willing to say so in public.
That in itself is telling. The position taken by Raith Rovers has left them publicly isolated - a situation they are willing to accept, for now.
Presentational grey line

Goodwillie, a former Scotland international, was pictured watching from the stands on Tuesday night as his new club drew 3-3 with Queen of the South.
In a statement, the club said it had signed the 32-year-old because he was "a proven goal scorer".
It said their "foremost consideration" was "his footballing ability".
"While acknowledging the gravity of what happened 10 years ago, as a club we fully support and encourage rehabilitation, and many factors influenced our signing. But first and foremost, this was a football-related decision," it said.
Goodwillie's signing for Clyde in 2017 also attracted criticism, but the club defended its decision and said people should be allowed to rebuild their lives after mistakes.
Clyde supporter Fin McKay contacted a phone-in on BBC Radio Scotland's Mornings programme to praise Goodwillie's contribution to the Scottish League One club.

Mr McKay said: "He had been an absolute role model at Clyde, an exemplary professional. No issues with him whatsoever.
"The abuse that he gets, or he did get initially when he joined Clyde, from other fans is the worst abuse I have ever heard any footballer get on any subject, ever. Absolutely disgusting.
"And he got it regularly and not once did he react to it, apart from scoring goals and celebrating."
Goodwillie never faced a criminal trial over the rape accusation after prosecutors said there was not enough evidence.
Denise Clair, who waived her right to anonymity, said she was raped by Goodwillie and another player in 2011 after a night out.
Both Goodwillie and Dundee United player David Robertson accepted that they had sex with her but maintained it was consensual.
The judge in the civil case ruled that they both raped Ms Clair, who had been "incapable of giving meaningful consent", and ordered them to pay her £100,000 in damages.

75A

Established Member
There has been various people making their feelings known with Raith Rovers over their controversial signing of David Goodwillie, who faced trail for rape and has been branded as a rapist by the judge.

So much has been the outcry that the main sponsor - the writer and broadcaster Val McDermid has withdrawn her sponsorship of the club.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60218045 in its original form which contains some images.
Good for her

SteveM70

Established Member
I’m not sure how Raith Rovers can talk about rehabilitation if the player doesn’t accept his guilt or show remorse