• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loppylugs

Swear words are yet to be invented to describe how bad we were. I have been going since 1984/5. Never heard anything like it. We have been crap for many, perhaps most, of those years. This was the worst. ever.

8 points adrift. minus 26 goal difference.

EDIT - we got beaten 8-0 by Watford in the league cup in 1987 but Watford were division 1 and we were division 4 so not as embarrassing as this.
I do genuinely sympathise with you, a horrible scenario. Lord help the person who gives you after eight mints for Christmas !!

75A

Established Member
Been scraping the barrel this week for football to watch.
Last night saw Belgium beat Serbia 1-0 in a friendly played in Leuven in an empty stadium after the match was swapped from Brussels due to a waterlogged pitch.
Romelu Lukaku was sat in the stands looking incredibly bored every time the camera focussed on him, mind you it wasn't exactly like the two most recent Chelsea games.
The Belgium Captain Carrasco scored after 2mminutes and that was that.

Tonight' treats are European Qualifiers between Liechtenstein and Portugal or Slovakia V Iceland.
I've chosen the Portugal game, after all they're full of stars and ranked 6th in the world, and have played 8 won 8 so far in this competition.

Portugal have scored 32 goals in their first 8 games so far yet curiously it's 0 -0 @ Half Time.

Last edited:

JD2168

Defending Italian Serie A champions Napoli have sacked Rudi Garcia after less than 6 months in charge & replaced him with former Watford manager Walter Matzarri until the end of the season.

Urs Fischer has left German side Union Berlin after a remarkable couple of seasons which included promotion & eventually getting to the Champions League for this season.

75A

Established Member
Not a game that will live long in the memory, it was more like a Testimonial match.
Ronaldo scored just after half time and Portugal won 2-0.
They had over 30 shots but less than a third were on target., still only conceded 2 in 9 games.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Everton have been docked, immediately, 10 points after being found to have breached the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules

BBC:
Everton have received an immediate 10-point deduction after being found to have breached the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules.

The punishment is the biggest sporting sanction in the competition's history and leaves Everton 19th in the table on a new total of four points.

The club said it was "both shocked and disappointed" by the "wholly disproportionate and unjust" ruling.

Everton have said they intend to appeal against the decision.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67448714

Now do Manchester City.....................................

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Everton have been docked, immediately, 10 points after being found to have breached the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67448714

Now do Manchester City.....................................
I'd expect that penalty to be at least halved, if not suspended, on appeal. The football governing bodies usually have a bark worse than their bite... until a club small enough to have the book thrown at it fails to dot the i's and cross the t's correctly (exhibit A, Luton Town).
Though I agree that Manchester City must surely be in a similar position even with their greater levels of success (and resultant revenue) over recent years.

Last edited:

1D54

Man City face that many charges and is breaking profit and sustainability rules one of them? If not then there is no comparison between the two cases. Besides City will drag any findings that go against them through every court that is available to them and it will years and cost the FA a small fortune.

Norm_D_Ploom

Swear words are yet to be invented to describe how bad we were. I have been going since 1984/5. Never heard anything like it. We have been crap for many, perhaps most, of those years. This was the worst. ever.

8 points adrift. minus 26 goal difference.

EDIT - we got beaten 8-0 by Watford in the league cup in 1987 but Watford were division 1 and we were division 4 so not as embarrassing as this.
They were considerably better when they had the 1883 addendum, once they went back to the original name they reverted to type.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One of my sons tells me that for most of the match, once the England team got 30 yards out from the Malta goal, the midfield and forward players seemed to forget they were supposed to press onwards and have attempts on goal and decided to play like extra Malta defenders and to return the ball back to the England half of the pitch.

Norm_D_Ploom

Gibraltar would have pulled it round at 3 - 0 but we had a man sent off.

Interestingly, Ireland, who needed to lose to still have a chance to qualify, lost.
Gibraltar managed to lose twice to R of I.
How embarrassed must Gib be about that !

Couple of games this afternoon at 2.00, think I will watch Hungary v Montenegro as I can't see Bulgaria troubling Serbia.
Don't fancy either of the 5pm games then Spain for the evening game.

75A

Established Member
Gibraltar managed to lose twice to R of I.
How embarrassed must Gib be about that !

Couple of games this afternoon at 2.00, think I will watch Hungary v Montenegro as I can't see Bulgaria troubling Serbia.
Don't fancy either of the 5pm games then Spain for the evening game.
I'm with you on that, Spain V Georgia looks better than Portugal V Iceland but later on in the evening San Francisco 49ers V Tampa Bay Buccaneers appeals more.

1D54

Half Time sees Belgium 4 up v Azerbaijan with Lukaku scoring them all. Rather embarrassing for whoever sorts out the music as the Swedish National Anthem was played before the game instead of the Azerbaijani one.

75A

Established Member
Half Time sees Belgium 4 up v Azerbaijan with Lukaku scoring them all. Rather embarrassing for whoever sorts out the music as the Swedish National Anthem was played before the game instead of the Azerbaijani one.
Tell you what, Belgium might be a dark horse for the cup.

scarby

I see that Estonia are set to be in the play-off matches for Euro 2024.

Goodness knows on what basis they have earned it as they are one of the worst national sides in Europe.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Scunthorpe 2 v Darlo 0 - FA Trophy - another defeat but not as bad as Tuesday. We took until the 80th minute to have a shot. Suspect Scunny took thier foot off the gas in the second half.

More important are the 2 home games this week v Warrington & Rushall. 4 points needed from those games. 6 would be better!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
More important are the 2 home games this week v Warrington & Rushall. 4 points needed from those games. 6 would be better!
Expect zilch, then anything more is a bonus! The Darlo v Rushall Olympic fixture, however, is a real "six pointer", even at this stage of the National League North season.