• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

JamesT

Established Member
You appear to be talking about players from several different clubs, and I'm not even sure which Jude you might be referring to.
I'm assuming he's talking about them playing for England and the most likely Jude would be Bellingham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

Jesse Lingard has finally found a new club, this is surprisingly FC Seoul of South Korea so he will be playing in the K-League.

There are reports that from next season a Blue card will be introduced for a sin bin for players to be sent to for 10 minutes for dissent or cynical fouls.

UEFA president Alexander Ceferin has announced he will not run for presidency in the 2027 elections.

Blackburn Rovers have been unsuccessful in their appeal over the signing of Duncan McGuire after they admitted they submitted the paperwork late.

SteveM70

Established Member
There are reports that from next season a Blue card will be introduced for a sin bin for players to be sent to for 10 minutes for dissent or cynical fouls.

Dissent - yes, absolutely (and it already happens at grassroots level)

Cynical fouls - oh great, another subjective can of worms is opened. (And not needed either - cynical fouls already attract a greater sanction than a similar foul in other circumstances - eg a little shirt pull to stop a break is a nailed on yellow but a shirt pull by an attacker is only ever a free kick)

Haywain

Veteran Member
As an extension of the existing trial to professional football but not yet decided which leagues will be doing it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Dissent - yes, absolutely (and it already happens at grassroots level)

Cynical fouls - oh great, another subjective can of worms is opened. (And not needed either - cynical fouls already attract a greater sanction than a similar foul in other circumstances - eg a little shirt pull to stop a break is a nailed on yellow but a shirt pull by an attacker is only ever a free kick)
The "cynical fouls" label is not particularly helpful, is it? I'd assume that what is meant by that is the "taking one for the team" type fouls- the attempts to stop a breakaway. Sometimes that's a shirt-pull, but sometimes it's a nasty or dangerous foul that only avoids a red card due to the presence of a covering defender, or distance from the goal being defended. If the threat of being sin-binned would have prevented the foul by a Blackburn defender on Boxing Day which caused a nasty injury to Huddersfield forward Delano Burgzorg, or the countless other examples every week where a defender has scythed down an attacker and got nowhere near the ball, then it has to be a good thing.
A shirt pull by an attacker can be cynical (though most of the time it's just "handbags"), but they aren't dangerous from a player safety perspective.

Wolves 0-2 Brentford: not my side’s afternoon at all, through 2 defensive howlers and Brentford’s back line being solid.

Still, solid mid table will do for this season after our escape last campaign.

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds 3 Rotherham 0

Leeds normally like to lose to struggling Yorkshire rivals, so I went into this one with a little trepidation after our 1-1 draw that felt like a loss at the New York Stadium earlier in the season. Even the Championship super-computer had Rotherham to come away with a 0-1 win, so I wasn't alone in my scepticism. A controversial opening Bamford goal saw Leeds ease to victory against a lacklustre Rotherham. The game really did reflect both teams league positions and Leeds should have scored plenty more really. Rotherham only managed to bring 611 supporters for the short journey, although their away form is dire and they probably feel the same way about the Championship, as I do about Leeds getting pasted in the Premiership each week, so hard to blame them.

Leeds now 1 point behind Southampton in 2nd place.

SteveM70

Established Member
Halifax scored two first half goals, in an away game, including one from Andrew Oluwabori, and went on to beat Dorking 3-1

I've had to go for a lie down

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Leeds 3 Rotherham 0

Leeds normally like to lose to struggling Yorkshire rivals, so I went into this one with a little trepidation after our 1-1 draw that felt like a loss at the New York Stadium earlier in the season. Even the Championship super-computer had Rotherham to come away with a 0-1 win, so I wasn't alone in my scepticism. A controversial opening Bamford goal saw Leeds ease to victory against a lacklustre Rotherham. The game really did reflect both teams league positions and Leeds should have scored plenty more really. Rotherham only managed to bring 611 supporters for the short journey, although their away form is dire and they probably feel the same way about the Championship, as I do about Leeds getting pasted in the Premiership each week, so hard to blame them.

Sorry we couldn't hang on to do you a favour down on the South coast, despite leading 2-0 at half-time against a Southampton team that haven't lost in over 20 games. The final score of 5-3 was a great advert for Championship football, with all five of Southampton's goals coming from substitutes (edit: apart from the own-goal of course!). Strength in depth was the difference, with Huddersfield having to name two goalkeepers on the bench and bring on a young lad who's not fully recovered from an injury himself. Hard to come away from such a good performance with nothing, but if we can play to that level for the rest of the season we should manage to avoid the trapdoor yet again. Most teams in this league don't have £20m+ on the bench.

Last edited:

DannyMich2018

Leeds 3 Rotherham 0

We're still 1st in the Championship table after our win at Watford today. Not best game but still 3 points though. Ipswich drew 2-2 so helps us all in the top 4.

Iskra

Established Member
Sorry we couldn't hang on to do you a favour down on the South coast, despite leading 2-0 at half-time against a Southampton team that haven't lost in over 20 games. The final score of 5-3 was a great advert for Championship football, with all five of Southampton's goals coming from substitutes (edit: apart from the own-goal of course!). Strength in depth was the difference, with Huddersfield having to name two goalkeepers on the bench and bring on a young lad who's not fully recovered from an injury himself. Hard to come away from such a good performance with nothing, but if we can play to that level for the rest of the season we should manage to avoid the trapdoor yet again. Most teams in this league don't have £20m+ on the bench.
It's no problem, we just have to win our own games, and we have some big ones still to come. You did well though, it's a shame you couldn't win as that would have lifted you nicely clear of the relegation zone. Some good goals in the game having now watched the highlights.

We're still 1st in the Championship table after our win at Watford today. Not best game but still 3 points though. Ipswich drew 2-2 so helps us all in the top 4.
Yes, Ipswich got off to a great start, but I did think they would struggle long-term. I'm very much looking forward to Leeds-Leicester on a Friday night game in a couple of weeks :D

dangie

Established Member
Blackburn Rovers 3-1 Stoke City

Stoke City boss Steven Schumacher:
If you give a Championship team a 3-0 head start, then you're doomed’
’That's kind of what we did. We didn't start well enough.’

Just once, I’d like the manager to come out and say…… we were sh*te……

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A couple of strange handball decisions resulting in penalties in the Luton - Sheffield Utd game yesterday.
What happened exactly? (The Blades got an unexpected 3-1 win, obviously, to give themselves an outside hope of still escaping the Premier League drop zone).

1D54

Leverkusen 3 Bayern 0.

Five points clear now in the hunt for the first title in their history. Is the curse of trophy less Harry Kane about to strike the Baverians who have won their league for the last 11 seasons?

Haywain

Veteran Member
What happened exactly? (The Blades got an unexpected 3-1 win, obviously, to give themselves an outside hope of still escaping the Premier League drop zone).
In both cases the offence was so unobvious (is that a real word?) that not one player appealed and play was at the other end before it was stopped for the ref to go to the pitchside monitor.

As for the result, our performance was a bit subdued and Wilder seemed to have figured out how to deal with our most obvious threats. A very poor result for us on a day when three points would have lifted us a couple of places.

75A

Established Member
In both cases the offence was so unobvious (is that a real word?) that not one player appealed and play was at the other end before it was stopped for the ref to go to the pitchside monitor.

As for the result, our performance was a bit subdued and Wilder seemed to have figured out how to deal with our most obvious threats. A very poor result for us on a day when three points would have lifted us a couple of places.
I guessed you'd of been there, it's always better to hear from someone that saw it with their own eyes rather that what I think I saw on MOTD.

Leverkusen 3 Bayern 0.

Five points clear now in the hunt for the first title in their history. Is the curse of trophy less Harry Kane about to strike the Baverians who have won their league for the last 11 seasons?
Would be very amusing to a non Harry fan.

Last edited:

DannyMich2018

It's no problem, we just have to win our own games, and we have some big ones still to come. You did well though, it's a shame you couldn't win as that would have lifted you nicely clear of the relegation zone. Some good goals in the game having now watched the highlights.

Yes, Ipswich got off to a great start, but I did think they would struggle long-term. I'm very much looking forward to Leeds-Leicester on a Friday night game in a couple of weeks :D
Yes I agree. Also the Leicester vs Southampton game in just over a month's time will be a big game too!! Ipswich have done great but think they'll struggle if they get promoted. Interesting times ahead.

Iskra

Established Member
Yes I agree. Also the Leicester vs Southampton game in just over a month's time will be a big game too!! Ipswich have done great but think they'll struggle if they get promoted. Interesting times ahead.
Leeds have Southampton at home last game of the season :D

JD2168

A result I did not expect today was West Ham 0 Arsenal 6, I thought it would be much closer but West Ham fell apart after Arsenal’s first goal. This result also removed Arsenal’s goal deficit to Manchester City.

The Aston Villa vs Manchester United game was much closer but Aston Villa failed to defend corners well (Kamara vs Maguire was a total miss match) & it brings the Europa League/Champions League race much closer.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Following on from Qatar retaining their Asia Cup title on home soil yesterday, hosts Cote d'Ivoire (is it still considered PC to use the French name? The BBC have reverted to English...) have come from behind to beat Nigeria 2-1 in the final of the African Cup of Nations.