• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SteveM70

Established Member
Solihull Moors 4-2 FC Halifax Town

A game too far for Town, as the exertions and craziness of the last fortnight caught up with us.

And even then, it was a case of what might have been and fine margins. Two of Solihull's goals were deflected shots which probably would have been saved, a third was a mad own goal, and when we got it back to 3-2 Rob Harker had a header hit the underside of the bar but bounce out rather than in.

If and buts.

But are we ready for the Football League? Probably not, and hopefully we'll be better placed in a year's time, especially as neither of the team's coming down from the league looks that strong this time round.

And now the annual game of wait and see about how many players leave - almost certainly Jamie Stott and Tylor Golden will be off, let's hope not too many others

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Norm_D_Ploom

Solihull Moors 4-2 FC Halifax Town

A game too far for Town, as the exertions and craziness of the last fortnight caught up with us.

And even then, it was a case of what might have been and fine margins. Two of Solihull's goals were deflected shots which probably would have been saved, a third was a mad own goal, and when we got it back to 3-2 Rob Harker had a header hit the underside of the bar but bounce out rather than in.

If and buts.

But are we ready for the Football League? Probably not, and hopefully we'll be better placed in a year's time, especially as neither of the team's coming down from the league looks that strong this time round.

And now the annual game of wait and see about how many players leave - almost certainly Jamie Stott and Tylor Golden will be off, let's hope not too many others
I don't think it was fine margins personally, SM were much the better side and deserved the victory.

No 10 for SM was far too good for that level! a few of his team mates weren't far behind.

Hx gave it a go 2h but ultimately the better team won the game.

Jimini

Established Member
Maybe this should go in the "things that annoy you" thread, but has anyone else noticed that the BBC have taken the 'show scorers' options off the footy website and BBC Sport app when viewing the day's fixtures? A mildly annoying and backwards change!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Maybe this should go in the "things that annoy you" thread, but has anyone else noticed that the BBC have taken the 'show scorers' options off the footy website and BBC Sport app when viewing the day's fixtures? A mildly annoying and backwards change!
Almost as good now as the new National Rail website?!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
19-year-old Ollie Arblaster was made captain of Sheffield United for their visit to Old Trafford last night. A couple of years ago he was playing on loan for Bradford (Park Avenue) in National League North during which time he won an England U18 cap. Another former Blades to Bradford PA loanee, Andre Brooks, also started last night. Brentford striker Keane Lewis-Potter and also played for us about 5 years ago as did lower division strikers Macauley Longstaff and Jake Beesley.

But now, thanks to a lack of ambition from the owners and incompetent management, we've been relegated for a second successive season. Who is going to want to lend talented youngsters to a club in the wastelands of NPL division 1 (East)?

steamybrian

Established Member
Crystal Palace 2 Newcastle United 0
As a Palace supporter this result is remarkable.
Following on from beating Liverpool at Anfield and thrashing five goals past West Ham
It is the third win in a row and I cannot remember when they last happened.
They are now mathematical safe from relegation.

Haywain

Veteran Member
On the plus side, it seems to have stopped them chopping off teams names half way through, which is particularly frustrating when you are looking at the foreign results. But it does, on the whole, appear to be a negative change.

SteveM70

Established Member
I don't think it was fine margins personally, SM were much the better side and deserved the victory.

No 10 for SM was far too good for that level! a few of his team mates weren't far behind.

Hx gave it a go 2h but ultimately the better team won the game.

They were the better team, but as I said the circumstances of the last fortnight worked in their favour. And if Harker’s header goes in off the bar, it’s a different game

Did Mark Beck play for SM? Was the main reason we were top of the league at Xmas 22.

He was a sub. Always seems to score against us too, like that Danny Rowe from Fylde and Chesterfield did

Rob F

Short memories down in West Bridgford. :rolleyes:
Not really. I assume you are referring to the play-off final where Toffolo dived and O'Brien (strangely both now on Forest's books though I would not have bet on Toffolo, out of the two, being the one who is a semi-regular Premier League performer) initiated the contact. I agree that both could have been given but neither was more than 50:50.

Forest's post on X was crass and ill advised and I feel was a classic example of someone in a temper pressing send before re-reading what they had written. However, there is a pattern here. Forest have been on the receiving end of terrible refereeing all season, from the fiasco at Old Trafford, Willy Boly being sent off for a perfectly fair tackle, Paul Tierney actually not knowing the rules on how a game should be restarted during the Liverpool game, the free kick that led to Brighton's goal that was not a foul and now 3 decisions in the Everton game that were not even referred by VAR for the on field official to look at. All could have been given and if the last one is not a penalty then I don't know how football works anymore.

Neco Williams is in trouble for his interview when he said that top six sides get those decisions. Sadly, I think he is correct.

It seems to me there are two options here, that PGMOL and its staff are corrupt or they are incompetent. I sincerely hope (and probably believe) that it is the latter, but incompetent officials is not a good place for the game to be in. The only argument for corruption would be that Forest have had nothing from VAR since the financial investigation was announced and an attempt to draw a link between these two things. I really do not want to believe that.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’ve said this before, but I’ll repeat it now - the biggest single issue with VAR is that the VARs are drawn from the same pool as the referees, and I'm absolutely convinced there is a (possibly subconscious) tendency not to try and overrule the on field ref because they know next week it’ll be them on the pitch, and nobody likes saying their mate has got it wrong. Train up some independent people

In terms of how it’s run from a supporter’s perspective, do what rugby union do - play the video on the telly and big screens and let us hear the conversation. But football won’t do that because that would be admitting someone else has done something better than them

Haywain

Veteran Member
However, there is a pattern here.
There certainly is - it's one of Forest wanting to put pressure on referees by suggesting that every decision goes against them. The plan to do this was set out when they chose to employ Clattenburg to try and give this policy legitimacy. Happily it's now backfiring.
The only argument for corruption would be that Forest have had nothing from VAR since the financial investigation was announced and an attempt to draw a link between these two things. I really do not want to believe that.
If you do believe that you really need to give your head a wobble.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not really. I assume you are referring to the play-off final where Toffolo dived and O'Brien (strangely both now on Forest's books though I would not have bet on Toffolo, out of the two, being the one who is a semi-regular Premier League performer) initiated the contact. I agree that both could have been given but neither was more than 50:50.

Forest's post on X was crass and ill advised and I feel was a classic example of someone in a temper pressing send before re-reading what they had written. However, there is a pattern here. Forest have been on the receiving end of terrible refereeing all season, from the fiasco at Old Trafford, Willy Boly being sent off for a perfectly fair tackle, Paul Tierney actually not knowing the rules on how a game should be restarted during the Liverpool game, the free kick that led to Brighton's goal that was not a foul and now 3 decisions in the Everton game that were not even referred by VAR for the on field official to look at. All could have been given and if the last one is not a penalty then I don't know how football works anymore.

Neco Williams is in trouble for his interview when he said that top six sides get those decisions. Sadly, I think he is correct.

It seems to me there are two options here, that PGMOL and its staff are corrupt or they are incompetent. I sincerely hope (and probably believe) that it is the latter, but incompetent officials is not a good place for the game to be in. The only argument for corruption would be that Forest have had nothing from VAR since the financial investigation was announced and an attempt to draw a link between these two things. I really do not want to believe that.
I am referring to those incidents, yes. Your playing squad were happy about them at the time as they were singing about how much they love VAR on the town hall balcony. To then post inflammatory statements on social media the moment decisions don't go their way is unprofessional and I'd argue that it brings the game into disrepute.

The fact that the club have done this whilst their appeal against the points deduction is being considered is similarly underhand. Given that the deduction was already reduced by two points because NFFC admitted the rule breaches, to then appeal the deduction should in turn nullify the reduced points penalty. The people in charge at the club do not come across as "good faith" actors.

Then again, I may be somewhat biased!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Buckie Thistle were crowned as Highland League champions today (by just a +2 superior goal difference compared with Brechin City who finished on equal points) and will now play East Kilbride (Lowland League champions) over the next two Saturdays in the end of season Scottish pyramid play-offs to see who then gets a shot at playing "Club 42" (not yet decided, but will be one of Clyde, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg Rose) for a place in next season's Scottish League 2.
Update. Buckie Thistle won't now be allowed to participate in the play offs, as it seems that they don't, it is claimed, meet the SPFL's entry criteria. East Kilbride get a bye before playing "Club 42" in due course.

Extract...
Saturday's Pyramid Play-Off tie between Buckie Thistle and East Kilbride has been cancelled, leaving the Highland League champions "stunned and devastated" by the claim that they failed to meet Scottish FA licensing requirements.
It means Lowland League champions East Kilbride progress straight to the final against whoever finishes bottom of Scottish League 2 for a place in the Scottish Professional Football League next season.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Buckie Thistle won't now be allowed to participate in the play offs, as it seems that they don't, it is claimed, meet the SPFL's entry criteria.
Buckie Thistle have released a statement complaining about how unfair it all is, but in Scottish football circles it is strongly suspected that along with most Highland League clubs (other than Brechin City) they have no real interest in being promoted. A consequence of Buckie's non-promotion is that there is no way in which Gretna 2008 can now be relegated from the Lowland League this season.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Football conspiracy theories have been going for longer than my 79 years of age.

The unprecedented number of howlers made by top flight goalkeepers in recent weeks is beginning to make me worry whether something sinister is going on.

In season 1962/63, Bristol Rovers goalie Esmond Million took a £300 bribe to throw their D3 match at Bradford and was subsequently banned for life. Despite his efforts, or lack of them, Bradford could only manage a 2-2 draw. Bristol Rovers finished the season a point above Bradford and thus Bradford were relegated, never to return, while Rovers stayed up. If only he had done what he was paid for!

Rovers eventually stayed up after coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Halifax, long after Bradford's season had finished. The season had been extended due to fixture pile ups after a severe winter. Conspiracy theorists said bottom club Halifax threw the game to take Bradford down with them to ensure lucrative local derbies in D4.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Buckie Thistle have released a statement complaining about how unfair it all is, but in Scottish football circles it is strongly suspected that along with most Highland League clubs (other than Brechin City) they have no real interest in being promoted. A consequence of Buckie's non-promotion is that there is no way in which Gretna 2008 can now be relegated from the Lowland League this season.
The three bottom clubs in Scottish League Two still have two matches to play and currently have the following:-
Bonnyrigg Rose......P34...Pts 35...GD -5
Stranraer...............P34...Pts 33...GD -15
Clyde....................P34...Pts 32...GD -16

From what I read, East Kilbride in its present incarnation was started in May 2010 (?) and the ground capacity is said to be 600 of which 400 are seated. That figure, if true, seems a tad on the low side for participation in Scottish League Two, when you allow for the fact that away teams supporters have to be accommodated. I would welcome any corrections to this.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The unprecedented number of howlers made by top flight goalkeepers in recent weeks is beginning to make me worry whether something sinister is going on.
This is almost as silly as the suggestion of corrupt referees a day or two ago. £300 to a goalkeeper 60 years ago was a very significant amount of money, but to bribe a top flight keeper these days would require a very large amount of money - quite possibly millions of pounds.

From what I read, East Kilbride in its present incarnation was started in May 2010 (?) and the ground capacity is said to be 600 of which 400 are seated. That figure, if true, seems a tad on the low side for participation in Scottish League Two, when you allow for the fact that away teams supporters have to be accommodated. I would welcome any corrections to this.
The only ground capacity requirement for the Bronze level licence is that they must have 500 covered places.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The only ground capacity requirement for the Bronze level licence is that they must have 500 covered places.
This is why I was concerned why what I saw was only 400 seated at East Kilbride FC and did ask for clarification of the information that I found. Can100 of the remaining 200 standing accommodation be under cover to meet the 500 requirements?

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is why I was concerned why what I saw was only 400 seated at East Kilbride FC and did ask for clarification of the information that I found. Can100 of thge remaining standing accommodation be under cover to meet the 500 requirements?
The requirement is for 500 places, with no mention of any needing to be seats (although that changes next year when 100 need to be seats). As East Kilbride have a Bronze licence they must already meet those requirements.

This is everything that the Scottish FA Club Licensing Manual says about spectator facilities for the Bronze licence:
SEATS OR STANDING PLACES
There may be seats and standing. There shall be provision for wheelchairs.

LEVEL OF COVER
There shall be an adequate level of cover available for both home and away spectators. Minimum level of capacity is 500 covered places.

DOCUMENTED CAPACITY
The ground will have a capacity calculated by a competent person in accordance with the Green Guide.

FROM 2025
The minimum level of capacity is 500 covered places, at least 100 of these must be seated

AVAILABLE AREAS
Spectators will be capable of being accommodated in all areas within the ground which were ever constructed or used for one season or more as spectator areas. It is acceptable however for the club to leave a maximum of one area outwith the terms of the Safety Certificate and therefore unavailable for use.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Buckie appear to be challenging the decision - the following was posted on their Twitter about an hour ago:

Buckie Thistle Football Club would like to issue the following addition to last night's statement on the SPFL Pyramid Play-offs:
"The club is endeavouring to get to the bottom of the decision to remove us from this weekend's play-off semi final against East Kilbride FC."
"Club officials attended meetings and had discussions with both the SPFL and SFA on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, but no indication was given at any point that Saturday's fixture was in doubt."
"Below is an extract from the Decision Note issued by the SFA, which clearly states a decision on the Bronze Licence is deferred until the 15th of May. Buckie Thistle were awarded derogations on 3 of the items mentioned, and given until 15th May to resolve the Medical items."
"After further discussions with the SFA this morning, we are now looking into the possibility of taking this to Arbitration, as per Article 99 of the SFA handbook."
"Further updates will be provided in due course."

Decision:
In relation to each of the items listed in the Report, the following was decided –

Derogations:
5.7 Floodlights – Granted
6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 6.8, 6.9 Medical (various) – Deferred
8.5 Safety Officer – Granted
8.19 Diversity and Inclusion – Granted