• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mmmm, looking at FP1, Hamilton might end up regretting not finalising his contract by now. Would say Russell might be the cheaper option to help Mercedes secure the 2021 constructors championship.
I'm not sure I would go that far yet its only P1 but if he carries on like this then I think Hamilton's salary might be going down :lol:, Bottas looks very under pressure. As we have seen Bottas can out qualify Hamilton on a Saturday but its Hamilton that wins the races much more than Bottas.

Last edited:

EveningStar

I'm not sure I would go that far yet its only P1 but if he carries on like this then I think Hamilton's salary might be going down :lol:, Bottas looks very under pressure. As we have seen Bottas can out qualify Hamilton on a Saturday but its Hamilton that wins the races much more than Bottas.
Agree ... one practice does not make a summer. And very much agree that Bottas must be feeling uncomfortable right now.

Darandio

Established Member
Bottas all over the place in FP2, Russell still has him spooked.

It was a fairly good shout that Russell had a very good chance of getting a Mercedes seat in 2022 regardless of this weekend as he's their driver, his 'loan' expires then and he has hardly put a foot wrong in a tricky Williams. I reckon a podium this weekend pretty much guarantees it, in fact I think he'll be on pole tomorrow.

Domh245

Established Member
he has hardly put a foot wrong in a tricky Williams

I'm not quite so sure about that - his race performances have generally been rather lacking - Imola and Austria 2 come to mind this year as prime examples of failing to capitalise on situations, I would have included Mugello as well but the Williams' do seem to be terrible at starts, so that's perhaps not entirely his fault. Perhaps he'll perform better if he's at the pointy end of the grid and trying to race people less

Bottas does seem to have been spooked (damaging his car pushing in FP1, track limit violations in FP2), although I think if they abandon monitoring track limits for qualifying like they did last week he'll be able to stick it on pole

Bottas all over the place in FP2, Russell still has him spooked.

It was a fairly good shout that Russell had a very good chance of getting a Mercedes seat in 2022 regardless of this weekend as he's their driver, his 'loan' expires then and he has hardly put a foot wrong in a tricky Williams. I reckon a podium this weekend pretty much guarantees it, in fact I think he'll be on pole tomorrow
Not so sure assuming Lewis stays for another 2 to 3 years I think he may have to wait until then to have a chance in the Merc, I don't think Merc will want two British drivers in the Cars, afterall they may be British based but they are not a British Team.

I'm not so sure he will get pole either if Bottas gets it together, Bottas did a quicker lap but it was deleted over track limits, its also of course not a typical F1 track.

But Russell is putting in a good effort so far if he can keep it up.

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It was a rather tongue-in-cheek reply. I think Vandoorne would have been more likely to fill in at Mercedes if Hamilton had tested positive on a Thursday, rather than a Monday.
It was pretty much confirmed in an interview with Toto Wolff that the factor that allowed them to switch in Russell rather than Vandoorne was time afforded to them, since it allowed Mercedes and Williams to have a discussion and fully rattle through contract details.

D365

Veteran Member
It was pretty much confirmed in an interview with Toto Wolff that the factor that allowed them to switch in Russell rather than Vandoorne was time afforded to them, since it allowed Mercedes and Williams to have a discussion and fully rattle through contract details.
Just finished watching said interview, as it happen. This clarifies Vandoorne’s role and the kind of situation in which he would be called upon.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
With Lewis's condition reportedly becoming worse, this means he could miss Abu Dhabi, meaning George may stay in the car for the last race. If he can keep up his current performances, could he have a seat for 2022?

D365

Veteran Member
With Lewis's condition reportedly becoming worse, this means he could miss Abu Dhabi, meaning George may stay in the car for the last race. If he can keep up his current performances, could he have a seat for 2022?
See below:
Russell has done very well in practice - now for qualifying.......................
I'm a huge fan of Russell (we both grew up in Cambs), but qualifying today will be the true decider for whether he has earned the "Mr Saturday" moniker!

D365

Veteran Member
Oops, better avoid this thread. I'm only watching the Channel 4 highlights and this is the one weekend that I don't want to be spoiled!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Russell missed out on pole by a quarter of a tenth of a second! Very close.

apparently the first time he has been out qualified by a team mate in his f1 career!

Russell missed out on pole by a quarter of a tenth of a second! Very close.

apparently the first time he has been out qualified by a team mate in his f1 career!
Good performance from Russell which will do him no harm, I think it emphasizes again that Albon isnt good enough.

Domh245

Established Member
A great showing from George. As he said in the post qualifying interview though, Saturdays are his forte so it'll be interesting to see how it gets on tomorrow. Especially with a fighty Verstappen in the mix, starting on softs and with a slightly quicker race pace

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
To be that close to Bottas takes some doing in your first outing. Now all George has to do is turn that performance into a podium.

On another note, Perez is just advertising himself again, especially considering Albon was down in 12th.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good performance from Russell which will do him no harm, I think it emphasizes again that Albon isnt good enough.

To be that close to Bottas takes some doing in your first outing. Now all George has to do is turn that performance into a podium.

On another note, Perez is just advertising himself again, especially considering Albon was down in 12th.

Red Bull need to get the deal done. Albion is drowning not waving. He is, quick, talented, a good guy and well liked by the team but isn't close enough to Max and that means Red Bull aren't close enough to Mercedes.

D365

Veteran Member
Agree with both of those points.

Sad to see Russell’s quali streak end, but I couldn’t think of a better way for it to end.

Possibly a day of history, as a George Russell win will make him the 20th British Driver to have won a Grand Prix - the first new British winner since Lewis Hamilton at Canada 2007 and the 110th overall!

This one is wide open and will be wild - just as the F2 Feature Race was yesterday.

Also with George being a Wolverhampton Wanderers Fan (as pictured last August v Man Utd!), I can't help being biased that a good result for him and then a Wolves win v Liverpool, will make it one awesome night!

1607252077755.png

Personally I dont think he will win but happy to be proved wrong, if he gets third behind Bottas and Verstappen it will be a good result, I think second is possibility depending on how good the race pace of the Red Bull is, but of course there the possibility of rookie style mistakes at this stage, qualifying is one thing the race is another.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
That is unfortunate for him to bow out of Grand Prix racing in that way, hope he can get the farewell test he needs to get over the incident