• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Established Member
you need to be more careful - you damaged the brake system ;)

Max wasn't very happy with the situation on the radio.
Not as bad as he has been sometimes, but it does sometimes sound like his father's anger issues have been passed on.

As we all know, the only person who can beat Max Verstappen is his father! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Mind you if i was driving at over 100mph with dodgy brakes and someone kept radioing me i'd probably be a bit grumpy too.

Did anyone else think the Sky commentators were a bit off? They seemed to have different timing info to what was being shown on the screen. A few times they were going on about a driver gaining on someone though the times on screen showed the complete opposite.

kristiang85

Established Member
Did anyone else think the Sky commentators were a bit off? They seemed to have different timing info to what was being shown on the screen. A few times they were going on about a driver gaining on someone though the times on screen showed the complete opposite.

Yes I thought that too.

Established Member
Mind you if i was driving at over 100mph with dodgy brakes and someone kept radioing me i'd probably be a bit grumpy too.

I've given up on the "International feed" (Sky) and watch the F1 TV feed now that they have improved the commentary - and found the same for them.

Strangely, the live data stream I had running (F1MV) had the same info as the commentators and it was the live graphics that were wrong.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Perhaps a rule change is in order - possibly something like "One car of every team is checked" and then "If a car is found to be in violation, the teammate's car is then checked as well"
I venture to suggest that all the cars should be checked.

As to the planks - could running more over the kerbs than the other cars, or bouncing more on track, not cause this extra wear?

Presumably they did check that the planks weren't too thick, hence the wear? I have to admit I'd love the headlines that would generate... "Thick planks cause disqualifications..."

Established Member
I venture to suggest that all the cars should be checked.

As to the planks - could running more over the kerbs than the other cars, or bouncing more on track, not cause this extra wear?

Presumably they did check that the planks weren't too thick, hence the wear? I have to admit I'd love the headlines that would generate... "Thick planks cause disqualifications..."
The "plank" has metal parts that are regulated by the FIA, and must be a certain mm when checked afterwards.

If the car is scraping too much, or hitting curbs too much, then it's too close to the ground.

JD2168

The old plank, been a while since that caused a DQ.
Indeed, the last disqualifications for Plank wear are Michael Schumacher in the Benetton at the 1994 Belgian Grand Prix & Olivier Panis in the Ligier at the 1994 Portuguese Grand Prix.

The Plank was introduced in 1994 after the tragic weekend at Imola as part of the safety measures introduced after Ayrton Senna & Roland Ratzenberger were killed & Rubens Barrichello was seriously injured.

Mogster

I love the fact that in the most high tech of sports a plank of wood is so vital.

Aye, however, it might have been part of a tree once but now this is eye wateringly expensive F1 spec wood…

Jabroc® is a non-impregnated, densified wood laminate developed primarily for a wide range of industrial applications including Motor Sport. The grade specially produced for this industry is constructed to the highest density possible using thin veneers creating a dense, stable, high strength laminated board with excellent wear resistance. Jabroc ® offers high stability, increased strength, stiffness and improved life when replacing hardwood, and on the other hand, reduced weight, shorter machining times, is non-sparking and non-conductive when replacing metals. Jabroc has half the strength of steel at only one-fifth of the weight. Jabroc ® is an established product and is in use worldwide in all racing series.

66701GBRF

If such an issue is found with a car then at the very least the second car should be checked. Quite strange how that's not the case.

bspahh

Established Member
How does the plank contribute to the safety of the car?
Without a plank, you have a broad area under the car which can be close to the ground. That gives a lot of downforce. However, if you go over a kerb or hit a bump in the track, you lose lots of downforce rapidly, which could cause a crash. That makes the car really fast in corners, but very sensitive.

The plank reduces the area of the car which can be close to the ground, so the car loses grip more predictably.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There would be "hell on" if Mercedes had gone for slightly different strategy and Hamilton had won the race only to be disqualified for plank wear!

Mogster

There would be "hell on" if Mercedes had gone for slightly different strategy and Hamilton had won the race only to be disqualified for plank wear!

That DSQ would have required brass balls from the stewards. Taking away a win is huge, especially Hamilton’s first win for 2 years.

I still find it intriguing that no one has been excluded for this since Schumacher in 1994.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That DSQ would have required brass balls from the stewards. Taking away a win is huge, especially Hamilton’s first win for 2 years.

I still find it intriguing that no one has been excluded for this since Schumacher in 1994.
I wonder if it‘s because if there‘s been plank wear issues found during scrutiny after practice or qualifying they have been rectified prior to the race? Might get relatively less publicity?

DelW

Established Member
Reading about Perez leaving RB at the end f the year - if he does (and I dont think he will) who replaces him?
There was a discussion about this on the R5SX coverage of second practice last night. IIRC, even if Perez stays next year, his contract expires at the end of 2024 so the question will have to be addressed either this year or next.

From what I recall (I was falling asleep at the time), most of the likely candidates have had a run in Alpha Tauri or Red Bull and haven't found favour, Albon having been probably the best of those.

Lando was mentioned as a possibility, with the caveat that he might not want the seat. Despite the success of RB's recent cars, being team-mate to MV is likely seen as something of a poisoned chalice.

najaB

Veteran Member
There was a discussion about this on the R5SX coverage of second practice last night. IIRC, even if Perez stays next year, his contract expires at the end of 2024 so the question will have to be addressed either this year or next.

From what I recall (I was falling asleep at the time), most of the likely candidates have had a run in Alpha Tauri or Red Bull and haven't found favour, Albon having been probably the best of those.

Lando was mentioned as a possibility, with the caveat that he might not want the seat. Despite the success of RB's recent cars, being team-mate to MV is likely seen as something of a poisoned chalice.
There's been talk that they've been trying to convince Sebastian to come out of retirement, with the enticement of having a couple of seasons driving a really fast car. From the team's perspective he would make an excellent second driver since he's already got multiple championships and so has little to prove.

Established Member
Checo's P2 in the championship looks a lot safer than it did at the start of the weekend.
And by the first corner of the next race, it's up in the air again!

JD2168

Max Verstappen has won the Mexico City Grand Prix with Lewis Hamilton in second & Charles Leclerc in third. Lando Norris finished fifth after a great drive from 17th on the grid, if the restart was better he could have challenged for a podium.

The race had a lengthy stoppage around half way through the race after the rear suspension of Kevin Magnussen’s Haas broke in the esses section causing a red flag.

Sergio Perez retired after the first lap after contact with Charles Leclerc at the first corner.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Reading about Perez leaving RB at the end f the year - if he does (and I dont think he will) who replaces him?
The rumour mill also includes Alonso going to Red Bull with Perez going in the opposite direction to Aston Martin. Not sure whether Aston Martin would want to release Alonso and have Perez back tbh (particularly with Lance Stroll struggling), but Alonso I assume would relish the move to Red Bull

JamesT

Established Member
The rumour mill also includes Alonso going to Red Bull with Perez going in the opposite direction to Aston Martin. Not sure whether Aston Martin would want to release Alonso and have Perez back tbh (particularly with Lance Stroll struggling), but Alonso I assume would relish the move to Red Bull
The stuff I was reading was suggesting that Danny Ricciardo is the favourite to replace Perez next year, having performed well since returning to Alpha Tauri.

Mogster

It’s unfortunate, exciting though the prospect is, I just don’t see any chance of Alonso rocking up at RBR next year. Horner would have to be out of his mind to invite that potential management nightmare. Team Verstappen are astute enough to not let it happen, should he beaten by a 40+ Alonso Max’s stock as the new anointed one would be on seriously shaky ground, it’s too much of a risk. The only person spreading these rumours would be Alonso himself and his people.

The only guys I can see at RBR next year are Perez or Ricciardo, and Perez does drag suitcases stuffed with Mexican telecoms cash along with him.

najaB

Veteran Member
The only guys I can see at RBR next year are Perez or Ricciardo, and Perez does drag suitcases stuffed with Mexican telecoms cash along with him.
There are also rumours making their way around (when are there not?) that Red Bull are speaking with Seb to see if he wants to come out of retirement to just drive a fast car for two years. The thinking is that he's still a skilled-enough driver to keep Mercedes and Ferrari in his rear mirrors, and there won't be any intra-team rivalry since he's already got multiple championships under his belt.