• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonathan110

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems it's only those wanting Crewe or Birmingham who got the email today, I'm Reading and have not received this email.

I got the email too and I'm for Peterborough.
Not sure what to make of it. I think waiting is making me read too much into it!

Seejwalker

I got the email too and I'm for Peterborough.
Not sure what to make of it. I think waiting is making me read too much into it!

Seems to be a few different depots, I don't know what to make of it then. It's been quite difficult being kept in the dark so much.

Lendog2012

Hi everyone, I had the email as well today. At 1st I was a little down as I didn't know if it was a polite way of saying we have filled the spaces so we will keep you in the pool for a while. Then I started to think about it, I actually just think it was a polite message to reassure people that they are looking at it as I suspect they are getting a few calls/emails a day asking for updates.

I might be completely off the mark but just my thoughts.

Stigy

Established Member
Shunters do the same classroom based course as mainline drivers but require less mentored hours to qualify in their job. In my opinion it's a better route into mainline driving as you earn more money sooner.
You would be responsible for moving locos around depots, refuelling and getting them ready to go along with other tasks.
Is it a depot driver post with Freightliner or Shunter though? From my experience, unless it's a Depot Driver or Shunt Driver role, it's not a driver grade therefore the training and assessments are completely different. Sorry if I've missed something here, I've lost track of this thread a little!

Seejwalker

Is it a depot driver post with Freightliner or Shunter though? From my experience, unless it's a Depot Driver or Shunt Driver role, it's not a driver grade therefore the training and assessments are completely different. Sorry if I've missed something here, I've lost track of this thread a little!

Apologies if I've caused confusion for anyone I think I certainly have for myself, I've applied at another FOC as a junior driver and had read on this site that they do both roles. I had assumed this was the same across the industry but just came with a different title depending on the company.
This actually answers why those who are starting as a shunter for FL are only doing 4-5 weeks training where I've been told ten weeks the same as a mainline driver, the only difference being the amount of mentored hours needed to become fully employed (useful) in the role.

Last edited:

Jonathan110

Hi everyone, I had the email as well today. At 1st I was a little down as I didn't know if it was a polite way of saying we have filled the spaces so we will keep you in the pool for a while. Then I started to think about it, I actually just think it was a polite message to reassure people that they are looking at it as I suspect they are getting a few calls/emails a day asking for updates.

I might be completely off the mark but just my thoughts.

I have thought the same about it being a general update due to lots of queries. I was going to email to see if there were any updates but they beat me to it!

Seejwalker

I have thought the same about it being a general update due to lots of queries. I was going to email to see if there were any updates but they beat me to it!

I didn't get this email but have emailed in myself today asking for an update, if I get the same email in response then your thoughts are right. I will let you guys know.

Last edited:

TGreen

Hi guys, I’m in the pool for Birmingham and received the e-mail as well. I replied asking if this meant you were not guaranteed a job with them.

The reply was
‘We have a plan for 4 or 5 courses next year, so still plenty of opportunities.

I’m just not sure yet which locations are required first and how many trainees are required for each location. There are lots of elements to arrange for each course to ensure we are delivering excellent training and trainees where the business needs them.

I’ll be in touch with more information when I can.’

Agree with others on here that it was mainly an update email which I think I misinterpreted.

Bristol VRIII

Hi guys, I’m in the pool for Birmingham and received the e-mail as well. I replied asking if this meant you were not guaranteed a job with them.

The reply was

I’m just not sure yet which locations are required first and how many trainees are required for each location. There are lots of elements to arrange for each course to ensure we are delivering excellent training and trainees where the business needs them.

Agree with others on here that it was mainly an update email which I think I misinterpreted.

That's great thanks for that its put my mind at ease!

Seejwalker

The reply was

Well that's good to hear for those who received the email, perhaps me not getting it is an indication that the depot I'm going for is next priority?

Lendog2012

The reply was

Thanks for sharing that, good to know.

xtradj

I remember the same “looking for instructors” email from vtec. Little did we know that it was the start of the we don’t need you process.

Be careful all and don’t take anything for granted. Keep applying to other tocs as it may be likely they are now oversubscribed

Seejwalker

I remember the same “looking for instructors” email from vtec. Little did we know that it was the start of the we don’t need you process.

Be careful all and don’t take anything for granted. Keep applying to other tocs as it may be likely they are now oversubscribed

This was my thought too, when I spoke with HR a couple of weeks ago they said it was a guaranteed job, but then worried me by adding they are recruiting as many candidates as they can and not targeting a specific number as they didn't know how many where needed. This raised the question in my mind, how can they possibly guarantee a job if they don't know themselves how many are needed.
Now this isn't to scare anyone as I'm still in limbo at the minute with FL, but I haven't put all my eggs in one basket until I have paper in my hand.

Paulm36

Well they can't be over subscribed every where , they've only just finished advertising again for the London area .

Jonathan110

This was my thought too, when I spoke with HR a couple of weeks ago they said it was a guaranteed job, but then worried me by adding they are recruiting as many candidates as they can and not targeting a specific number as they didn't know how many where needed. This raised the question in my mind, how can they possibly guarantee a job if they don't know themselves how many are needed.
Now this isn't to scare anyone as I'm still in limbo at the minute with FL, but I haven't put all my eggs in one basket until I have paper in my hand.

On my DMI they said “you could be put in the pool and then there might be say 10 people for your choosen depot but only one vacancy and there are is no criteria on who is picked from the pool for the position”.

Like you im not putting all my eggs in one basket but still hoping its all good in the end.

Mike121

On my DMI they said “you could be put in the pool and then there might be say 10 people for your choosen depot but only one vacancy and there are is no criteria on who is picked from the pool for the position”.

Like you im not putting all my eggs in one basket but still hoping its all good in the end.

That is strange! I wasn’t told that on mine.. I was told that it’s while they look at dates etc.

Was anyone else told the above?

Seejwalker

That is strange! I wasn’t told that on mine.. I was told that it’s while they look at dates etc.

Was anyone else told the above?

I wasn't told this, I was told the pool was a holding place for all those that they want to have working for them and that it wasn't a case of coming second place to anyone else.
I genuinely don't know what the correct answer is, all we can do is keep waiting and hoping.

AMP

All seems a bit disconcerting at the moment. Hopefully there will be a positive outcome for all. I was under the impression that if you were in the pool you would be getting a job somewhere.

Paulm36

Which is where I've applied for and didn't receive the same email everyone just got.
Same here , I applied on the first round for thamesport , did my stage 1 on the 24th of August and don't have my stage 2 until the 4th of December . It's been a long process for me . Just hoping it's all worth while in the end . There's been a lot of trainee positions in my area recently, and I've been unable to apply for them as I'm still in the process of completing my tests with freightliner , and from what I believe the opc will only allow you to be in the process with one foc/toc at a time?

Luke Allen

It wouldn’t make any sense for a company to still be recruiting for trainee positions if they didn’t have a need for them. It’s a waste of everyone’s time and money. I think it’s easy to speculate, particularly when we’re all waiting but I really do think if you’re in a pool then it’ll be sorted this coming year :)

Seejwalker

It wouldn’t make any sense for a company to still be recruiting for trainee positions if they didn’t have a need for them. It’s a waste of everyone’s time and money. I think it’s easy to speculate, particularly when we’re all waiting but I really do think if you’re in a pool then it’ll be sorted this coming year :)

I don't want to start getting wild on the speculation either I'm just trying to join the dots I can see. All any of us can do is keep hanging in there in the hopes that they are right when telling us were all getting a job.

GLENMAYE77

I haven’t got my Stage 2 until next week.....Stage 1 on 31st Aug.

So I’m guessing there’s quite a few in the pool already.

GJ_DAN

Got my stage 2 on the 5th December. It’s been the longest wait ever, be glad to get it done! Though it’s a bit disheartening to think maybe it’ll be all for nothing fingers crossed it’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.