• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

From Monday 19th July - Government has laid Regulations revoking (most) restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I hope everyone enjoys their new freedoms as of today in England!

I will be continuing to wear a mask and socially distance where I feel necessary whilst working on board my trains until such time as I see fit. As we come into contact with lots of different people daily I will feel better doing this in the short to medium term. I’ll probably get questioned on it but it’s my choice the same as others will choose to not wear them anymore.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Freedom has once again been restored in England. Social Distancing and the mask mandate have now ended, and all businesses are once again open.

Let us hope that this evening marks the end of a dark, sad period for our country of which will be purely confined to history books from here-on in. Be kind, respect the opinions and personal choices of others and, most importantly, enjoy your newfound freedom. I hope I'm not far behind you all!
Amen!

MARK

Pete_uk

Established Member
Good luck everyone!

Going into a shop this morning will be like leaving your cabin for the first time at a nudist camp.

sd0733

Established Member
Still plenty of people wearing masks on trains this morning
Amazingly there are. Even though the early morning ones were empty with literally 1 person per coach im yet to see a maskless passenger.

ABB125

Established Member
Amazingly there are. Even though the early morning ones were empty with literally 1 person per coach im yet to see a maskless passenger.
I'd estimate around 50% so far, with a higher proportion of staff (particularly station staff) wearing masks. My next train is Swindon to Paddington, which will probably be better loaded and may give a more accurate representation.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
More than 50% wearing masks at Leeds. Quite a lot more. The only exceptions on my platform out of about 40 people are those still eating Macdonald's after a night clubbing.

Not particularly suprised as that more represents the percentages I see amongst friends/family/colleagues.

ABB125

Established Member
I'm going to have to revise my previous estimate of 50% upwards, to somewhere in the region of 95% mask wearing. I was expecting some people to wear masks, but not this many!

NSEFAN

Established Member
Perhaps regular commuters will be more keen to wear masks, but leisure travellers won't be?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
People have obviously taken note of the size of the statistics covering infection and deaths that rose in the last seven-day period and it is up to personal choice what people decide what action they will take. Recent events have shown that it is still possible to test positive even after receiving two injections.

nedchester

Established Member
Freedom has once again been restored in England. Social Distancing and the mask mandate have now ended, and all businesses are once again open.

Let us hope that this evening marks the end of a dark, sad period for our country of which will be purely confined to history books from here-on in. Be kind, respect the opinions and personal choices of others and, most importantly, enjoy your newfound freedom. I hope I'm not far behind you all!

I think that’s an important point about respect. I do think that in some places it’s going to cause conflict and that’s not good.

I hate the term “freedom day”, it’s tabloid newspaper garbage.

I will continue to carry a face covering and will use it where I see fit.

DustyBin

Established Member
People have obviously taken note of the size of the statistics covering infection and deaths that rose in the last seven-day period and it is up to personal choice what people decide what action they will take. Recent events have shown that it is still possible to test positive even after receiving two injections.

It’s just as likely they don’t want to stand out or be confronted, accepting that there are people who think a bit of cloth will protect them. I think once we reach a critical mass of non-wearers the majority will follow, when that will be though I’m not sure.

jumble

To be fair no one has ever claimed that the double jabbed vaccine is more than around 90% effective.
This of course means that it was always fairly obvious that some people would test positive

It’s just as likely they don’t want to stand out or be confronted, accepting that there are people who think a bit of cloth will protect them. I think once we reach a critical mass of non-wearers the majority will follow, when that will be though I’m not sure.
Not in London
No one here cares much if you wear a mask or not and has not for a very long time ( excepting some small shops, British transport police, TFL Enforcement and of course our friendly council covid marshalls)

DustyBin

Established Member
To be fair no one has ever claimed that the double jabbed vaccine is more than around 90% effective.
This of course means that it was always fairly obvious that some people would test positive

And the (circa) 90% effectiveness is against serious illness is it not? I suspect minor symptoms and asymptomatic infection will be fairly common, although I’m happy to be told I’m wrong if anybody has actual data.

jumble

That is a very good point. I am thinking why did I bother? It is making no difference to our ability to live a normal life. Definitely won’t be getting the boosters.
Come on
Just imagine where we would be now if there had not been the vaccines
On friday some jackass sitting near me coughed a lot and was wringing with sweat on the tube having removed his mask to drink.
I was really pleased I took the decision to be double jabbed at that moment

DustyBin

Established Member
Not in London
No one here cares much if you wear a mask or not and has not for a very long time ( excepting some small shops, British transport police, TFL Enforcement and of course our friendly council covid marshalls)

I agree in regard to London. Of all the places I’ve visited recently London had the lowest mask compliance.

westv

Established Member
Should anybody who is double jabbed still be "concerned" or "worried" or "anxious"?
Three words I have seen in this mornings local clickbait news website.

APT618S

On my bus this morning most people were still wearing a mask but when alighting I noticed that the sign on the floor telling people to wait behind (to keep 2m from the driver) had been removed.
In Sainsburys there was a noticeable reduction in mask wearing from perhaps 80% to 50%. Noticed that all the plastic screens round the self service tills had been taken down.

DustyBin

Established Member
Should anybody who is double jabbed still be "concerned" or "worried" or "anxious"?
Three words I have seen in this mornings local clickbait news website.

The vast, vast majority definitely not. They’d like you to be though.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I agree in regard to London. Of all the places I’ve visited recently London had the lowest mask compliance.
It also has the lowest vaccination rate I think. I can therefore understand why the Mayor is concerned, even though I do not think masks or other restrictions are the right way to address this.

DustyBin

Established Member
It also has the lowest vaccination rate I think. I can therefore understand why the Mayor is concerned, even though I do not think masks or other restrictions are the right way to address this.

It’s also the most densely populated and is “high risk” in terms of public transport, and yet cases remain relatively low. Interesting!

DelayRepay

Established Member
It’s also the most densely populated and is “high risk” in terms of public transport, and yet cases remain relatively low. Interesting!
I guess that could be linked to the fact they had very high case numbers in the first wave in 2020, and in the Christmas wave. Maybe London has lower immunity from vaccines but this is offset against higher immunity as a result of previous infections?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think it has probably hit as high as it is going to get. Everyone over 18 has had the option to have the jab. They have chosen not to for whatever reason. i can’t see the opinion changing for a lot to why they have chosen not to have it.

DustyBin

Established Member
I guess that could be linked to the fact they had very high case numbers in the first wave in 2020, and in the Christmas wave. Maybe London has lower immunity from vaccines but this is offset against higher immunity as a result of previous infections?

That’s my theory. Conversely up here in the North East we’re topping the infection rate table having had low rates historically. Perhaps it’s just nature doing it’s thing?

DelayRepay

Established Member
I think it has probably hit as high as it is going to get. Everyone over 18 has had the option to have the jab. They have chosen not to for whatever reason. i can’t see the opinion changing for a lot to why they have chosen not to have it.
Some might have it if they are going abroad, either to get into the other country or to be able to avoid quarantine on return. Some might have it if the government continue to make noise about domestic vaccine passports.

But I agree coverage isn't going to get much higher than the current levels.

Fragezeichnen

From a foreign perspective I find it quite hard to understand the decision of the UK government.

The UK current has the 4th highest infection rate of any country in the world. In Berlin where I live the infection rate is 15/100,000, which is a little dissapointing because last week it was 5. In the UK yesterday it was 665.

No-one here is talking about a "freedom day". Removal of corona restrictions is slow and steady.

Domh245

Established Member
From a foreign perspective I find it quite hard to understand the decision of the UK government.

The UK current has the 4th highest infection rate of any country in the world. In Berlin where I live the infection rate is 15/100,000, which is a little dissapointing because last week it was 5. In the UK yesterday it was 665.

No-one here is talking about a "freedom day". Removal of corona restrictions is slow and steady.

Infections are effectively irrelevant with the vaccine uptake we've got. It was never really about infections in the first place but the hospitalisations - previously infections was a good proxy for this, now much less so.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That’s my theory. Conversely up here in the North East we’re topping the infection rate table having had low rates historically. Perhaps it’s just nature doing it’s thing?
Though thankfully at least in the Tyne & Wear area cases seem to be gradually reaching a peak. I suppose once you have however many thousands of people isolating and schools starting to break up, the chain of transmission starts to fall apart.

Indeed, Newcastle had quite a wave last September with university students returning but that quickly burned out too, with smaller waves in Oct/Nov and January.

Status
Not open for further replies.