• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks ZWK. I thought they looked like chocks but the yard appears almost flat, unless there is a slope that is not noticeable to the average camera wielding observer.

pdeaves

Established Member
Thanks ZWK. I thought they looked like chocks but the yard appears almost flat, unless there is a slope that is not noticeable to the average camera wielding observer.
Chocks are used to help prevent unwanted movement, gradient or not. You will see that the chocks are both sides of a wheel, not just 'downhill' side (if there even is an up or down hill!).

D365

Veteran Member
As above - any stopped vehicle should be 'chocked'.

ExRes

Established Member
Schedule currently in place for a Tuesday 1424 0Z07 Eastleigh Works GBRf to Tonbridge West Yard GBRf, allegedly 69007 ........

fgwrich

Established Member
Schedule currently in place for a Tuesday 1424 0Z07 Eastleigh Works GBRf to Tonbridge West Yard GBRf, allegedly 69007 ........

I’m rather looking forward to this one, though as usual I’m sure it won’t be long before we see the usual “that’s not the right colour / colours / right rivet” comments. Let the paint froth commence I guess!

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Thats not true our 66s all have working handbrakes, however instructions dictate we must chock them too.
My employer's vehicle survey risk assessments mandates the use of chocks, no matter what the vehicle is!

BRX

Established Member
The delivery of new 69s seems to have slowed somewhat... I've not seen mention of anything beyond 69007 so far. Or is it just that there's less discussion as the novelty wears off?

MattyJames

The delivery of new 69s seems to have slowed somewhat... I've not seen mention of anything beyond 69007 so far. Or is it just that there's less discussion as the novelty wears off?
According to the Class 56 Group on FB, this should be 69007 moving from Eastleigh on Tuesday to Tonbridge

ExRes

Established Member

There are a few recent photos on Flickr of 69008 with it looking, externally, very well advanced, in full grey with yellow panels and the additional control socket which I believe is for unit brake control

RichJF

There are a few recent photos on Flickr of 69008 with it looking, externally, very well advanced, in full grey with yellow panels and the additional control socket which I believe is for unit brake control
I read on PressReader than 69008 will be one of three 69s fitted with Dellner couplings.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
69007 has been named 'Richard Trevithick' and painted in BR Blue Livery. The name was previously carried on donor/progenitor loco 56037.
Thats a solid looking livery. It also carries '56037' not 69007 and no mention of GBRF (that I could see)

XCTurbostar

Established Member
There are always pictures :)

Image shows 69007 sporting full BR Blue with Yellow ends and cab window wrap-around.
Credit to Rob Tiller for the image.

Attachments

• 813EFDC4-5141-4359-B61B-F32FC450F208.jpeg
    813EFDC4-5141-4359-B61B-F32FC450F208.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 306

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
69007 has been named 'Richard Trevithick' and painted in BR Blue Livery. The name was previously carried on donor/progenitor loco 56037.
It looks really good. I like it. Has 56037 with BR logo on one side and other side had 69007 with GBRF logo on it.

I know the 69s are based out of Tonbridge but will they ever venture up North to the West or East Midlands for example or are they designed just for operations in the South? I know 69005 has been to the Severn Valley Railway before but that's a different box of eggs altogether. It would be good to see them around rather then having to travel South all the time (not that I have done that to see them but you get what I mean hopefully).

Last edited:

william.martin

On Moderation
It looks really good. I like it. Has 56037 with BR logo on one side and other side had 69007 with GBRF logo on it.

I know the 69s are based out of Tonbridge but will they ever venture up North to the West or East Midlands for example or are they designed just for operations in the South? I know 69005 has been to the Severn Valley Railway before but that's a different box of eggs altogether. It would be good to see them around rather then having to travel South all the time (not that I have done that to see them but you get what I mean hopefully).
Hopefully I could fill another camera up on photos of class 69's on the SVR sometime soon (no plans that I have heard of though.)

Murray J

I believe 3 are being fitted with Dellner couplings to replace the 47s on rolling stock movement duties so I'd imagine when those 3 are out they'll get round a bit.