• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I knew this one would look good :D:lol:

And sorry to those who are a fan of Orange & Black, but as DB still owns the rights to that, it'll be a while before anything else comes out in that again sadly!

While I'm not a fan of the light clusters on these 69s, I have to say 007 looks a lot better with them than the original, and somewhat squinting Romanian recessed lights.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I knew this one would look good :D:lol:

And sorry to those who are a fan of Orange & Black, but as DB still owns the rights to that, it'll be a while before anything else comes out in that again sadly!

While I'm not a fan of the light clusters on these 69s, I have to say 007 looks a lot better with them than the original, and somewhat squinting Romanian recessed lights.
Totally agree Rich.
Best of the lot so far.

Have to ask though - how did the class 50 crowd get away with painting their 50 into orange and black ?

fgwrich

Established Member
Totally agree Rich.
Best of the lot so far.

Have to ask though - how did the class 50 crowd get away with painting their 50 into orange and black ?
Not sure on that one - I'm sure the 50 alliance has the contacts though. Not that GBRf wouldn't, but I can imagine DB wanting to charge far more for it and GB just thinking that it isn't worth the hassle.

The_Train

Established Member
Ah OK. Must have been for a press photo then.
It was reported as being something to do with a contingent from Cardiff Canton who were there for the naming and livery unveiling. As soon as the festivities ended the 56 number was replaced and the arrows removed and replaced with the GB branding

Just had a lot of messages flying around that the GBRf Class 69 project has been cancelled, concluded with this -

"69002’s run to Mountfield and then Soton was the run that sealed their fate today

John Smith was aboard for inspecting performance and it’s believed that was the final straw"

Is this true?

zwk500

Veteran Member
What was the source of that message (or platform, if unable to identify a source)?

brad465

Established Member
Does cancelled in this case mean they won't convert anymore and just keep using the ones that have been converted already, or they will bin off the converted ones as well? Have any actually run proper services?

trainmania100

Established Member
Looks like it ran pretty well today arriving on time at soton, surely there were equations to deduce performance before money was actually spent? What's the problem now?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Does cancelled in this case mean they won't convert anymore and just keep using the ones that have been converted already, or they will bin off the converted ones as well? Have any actually run proper services?
Quite a few RHTTs and some other drags.

trainmania100

Established Member
69005 has been on Newhaven aggregates too.

You'd think they'd identify any problems before converting 8 units

D365

Veteran Member
From speaking to people on the ground, there are certainly a few mixed opinions on what the 69s are like to work on.

Even so, I’m going to hold my breath on this thread.

dmncf

If true, I think the main factor in this decision might not be failure of Class 69s, but GBRf's success at securing eleven more Class 66s/77s from mainland Europe:

D365

Veteran Member
If true, I think the main factor in this decision might not be failure of Class 69s, but GBRf's success at securing eleven more Class 66s/77s from mainland Europe:
Given the time and effort that's been put into the 69s, I would be surprised if it was something as straightforward as that.

Wolfie

Established Member
Given the time and effort that's been put into the 69s, I would be surprised if it was something as straightforward as that.
Exactly. That might result in no more conversions but binning those already done would appear to be a real waste of money.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's been posted on se gen that it's a temporary withdrawal caused by the discovery of a hairline crack in 69 004 following a derailment.

D365

Veteran Member
It's been posted on se gen that it's a temporary withdrawal caused by the discovery of a hairline crack in 69 004 following a derailment.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on my inbox for any safety reports.

On Moderation
Well 69002 just passed me at Richmond on 6Y83, so not stopped yet.

Future

Reportedly, the main reason for the swift withdrawal is that the crack may have split the crankshaft because of the 69’s lack of engine mounts or dampers. Also the remaining 56 conversions are on hold indefinitely so 081 and 098 are saved for now!

On Moderation
Reportedly, the main reason for the swift withdrawal is that the crack may have split the crankshaft because of the 69’s lack of engine mounts or dampers.
That’s no different from a 66 in terms of engine mounting, is it?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Reportedly, the main reason for the swift withdrawal is that the crack may have split the crankshaft because of the 69’s lack of engine mounts or dampers. Also the remaining 56 conversions are on hold indefinitely so 081 and 098 are saved for now!
This sounds like they'll be out of action until a modification can be designed and installed?