• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anything to do with Sylvia Plath? Grave is possibly that of her former partner, the poet laureate Ted Hughes, who some folk blame for Plath's early demise.

SteveM70

Established Member
Anything to do with Sylvia Plath? Grave is possibly that of her former partner, the poet laureate Ted Hughes, who some folk blame for Plath's early demise.

You’re on the right track, it does involve Sylvia Plath, and yes some people saw Hughes’ behaviour as a big part in her sad decline and eventual suicide aged just 30.

But it isn’t Ted Hughes’ grave, and why specifically is the grave defaced?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Other way round. Plath's grave? But not sure why it would be repeatedly vandalised. Must be something to do with the breakdown of the relationship.

SteveM70

Established Member
Other way round. Plath's grave? But not sure why it would be repeatedly vandalised. Must be something to do with the breakdown of the relationship.

Yes, it’s Plath’s grave and you’re skirting all around the reason - you’ve got the. background but not the specifics, but it’s close enough for me.

The name of the gravestone is Sylvia Plath Hughes, and some of those who blame Hughes for her death repeatedly scratch out the word “Hughes”

(Hughes’ ashes were scattered on Dartmoor so he has no gravestone)

Incidentally, there are a series of panels on the platform fences at Mytholmroyd station (the village just down the valley where Hughes was born) telling the story of The Iron Man, which he wrote to console the children after their mother’s suicide

All yours

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Who was the English Anglican clergyman who was supposedly the inventor of rugby football.

Buried in Southern France, a bonus point for the rugby league town / city that he was born in.

SteveM70

Established Member
Is this a trick question? The obvious answer is William Webb Ellis, but I’d always assumed he was local to Rugby so the American bit puzzles me

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this a trick question? The obvious answer is William Webb Ellis, but I’d always assumed he was local to Rugby so the American bit puzzles me
Right guy, but not American! Has also been disputed just how much he had to do with the creation of rugby football.

Just need his birthplace town / city now.

SteveM70

Established Member
Right guy, but not American! Has also been disputed just how much he had to do with the creation of rugby football.

Just need his birthplace town / city now.
Sorry, that’s scan reading whilst cooking dinner for you! I saw Anglican as American. Sorry

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Was trying to confuse you all with the additional detail.

So, anyhoo, where was the Reverend William Webb Ellis born?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Salford is the correct answer to the supplementary question.

As @SteveM70 got the initial William Webb Ellis question right, he next gets to play the game.

During World War I, the German high command, concerned at the popularity of the song 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary' among their soldiers and sailors, commissioned patriotic German lyrics to fit the tune. Which town or city replaced Tipperary?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
During World War I, the German high command, concerned at the popularity of the song 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary' among their soldiers and sailors, commissioned patriotic German lyrics to fit the tune. Which town or city replaced Tipperary?

I’m trying to remember that scene in Das Boot but I’m sure they just sang the English in the film.

Heidelberg?
Trying to imagine the German text in my head, what German place matches the syllables of Tipp-er-ary?

It's not Heidelberg, but you're on the right lines in looking for a name that scans the same as Tipperary.

I was watching clips of 'Das Boot' on YouTube quite recently, Tom, and you're right, it was the English version.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So the answer isn't a tricksy one that German combatants still sang 'Tipperary' regardless?