• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Was this the pig which was rescued from a sinking German warship in 1915

Strathclyder

Established Member
Was it the name of the pig that was left aboard the SMS Dresden as she was scuttled after the Battle of Más a Tierra in May 1915, being rescued and brought aboard one of the British cruisers (HMS Glasgow) involved in the skirmish?

Last edited:

Loppylugs

Was this the pig which was rescued from a sinking German warship in 1915

Indeed it was.

Was it the name of the pig that was left aboard the SMS Dresden as it was scuttled after the Battle of Más a Tierra in May 1915, being rescued and brought aboard one of the British cruisers (HMS Glasgow) involved in the skirmish?
You got pipped at the post, but deserve a big bonus point for the info.

Pigs were on board German ships to supply fresh meat for the crews. The pig was adopted by HMS Glasgow and named Tirpitz. The Brits awarded Tirpitz the Iron Cross for being last to leave the sinking SMS Dresden! Porker remained a firm favourite with the crew. The head of Tirpitz was stuffed and mounted for display in the Imperial War Museum, it's trotters are there too as knife and fork handles after being on display as symbols on the second HMS Glasgow in WW2. Poor old Tirpitz went to the dinner table in 1919 after being auctioned for charity !!

Yours @341o2

341o2

Established Member
There are two British actresses who share the same surname but are not related. Both played the part of the principle character's wife in 1970's TV adaptations of an existing series.
Who are they?

MotCO

Established Member
Can you clarify where the original series were? Were they radio shows converted to tv series?

341o2

Established Member
no, one was from the north of England and was based on a series of short stories collected into novels, the authour's wife told her husband "people in your profession don't write books", the books were a runaway success. She (the wife) was given a different name in the books as did the authour use a pen name

The other more associated with radio drama based in London, one correction is that the first TV episode was broadcast in 1969. There were four series in collaboration with Taurus films of Munich, mostly set in European and other locations as a result. The series suffered badly from the BBC policy of wiping redundant recordings during the 70's,of the 52 episodes only 16 survive in the UK. The radio adaptations are more well known and broadcast on BBC R4extra regularly

perryman

I think this was a Scottish FA Cup game - involving Inverness (I think it was pre- name change) but I can't remember who they (eventually) played - Stirling or Raith perhaps?

Caboose Class

I think this was a Scottish FA Cup game - involving Inverness (I think it was pre- name change) but I can't remember who they (eventually) played - Stirling or Raith perhaps?
OK. I'll let you have it! It was actually Inverness Thistle v Falkirk. From the archive:- Back in the icy winter of 1979, the Scottish Cup second-round clash between Inverness Thistle and Falkirk had to be postponed no fewer than 29 times. The original date for the game was January 6, but the clubs had to wait 47 days until the Kings Mills ground was eventually declared playable, on February 22. When the match finally took place, four first-half goals helped Falkirk seal their spot in the third round. However, because of the 71-day period between the second-round draw and Falkirk's win, Billy Little's side were forced to visit Dundee just three days later in round three, where a late penalty ended their cup journey.

perryman

OK. I'll let you have it! It was actually Inverness Thistle v Falkirk. From the archive:- Back in the icy winter of 1979, the Scottish Cup second-round clash between Inverness Thistle and Falkirk had to be postponed no fewer than 29 times. The original date for the game was January 6, but the clubs had to wait 47 days until the Kings Mills ground was eventually declared playable, on February 22. When the match finally took place, four first-half goals helped Falkirk seal their spot in the third round. However, because of the 71-day period between the second-round draw and Falkirk's win, Billy Little's side were forced to visit Dundee just three days later in round three, where a late penalty ended their cup journey.
Another controversial VAR outcome. Thank you.

Horsa
Espresso Egitto
The Saudi Moon II
?
Susak
Neptune Diamond
Long Jin
Jian Zehn
Neptune Garnet
Leda Maersk

What replaces the question mark (and of course, why)?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, they're all ships (I did check and found that my initial guess that they were all horses was wrong!) but I don't know what the answers to the two questions are.

perryman

Well, they're all ships (I did check and found that my initial guess that they were all horses was wrong!) but I don't know what the answers to the two questions are.
I hadn't considered they could be horses... but you are correct with your checking - maritime vessels they are (I'm not sure exactly what determines what a 'ship' is).

perryman

I've added a couple of embarkation/disembarkation pairings, to hopefully assist:

Horsa - Folkestone/Boulogne
Espresso Egitto
The Saudi Moon II
?
Susak - Madras/Singapore
Neptune Diamond
Long Jin
Jian Zehn
Neptune Garnet
Leda Maersk

Neo9320

Is the missing one herald of free enterprise and that’s the order that they sunk in? (Long shot guess btw)

perryman

Is the missing one herald of free enterprise and that’s the order that they sunk in? (Long shot guess btw)
No, no sinking involved here.

Another pairing:

Espresso Egitto - Venice/Alexandria (via Piraeus)
The Saudi Moon II
?
Susak - Madras/Singapore
Neptune Diamond
Long Jin
Jian Zehn
Neptune Garnet
Leda Maersk

Caboose Class

Al-Shama - Dubai to Bombay. These are the vessels that Michael Palin used to get "Around the World in 80 Days" back in the late 80's.

perryman

Al-Shama - Dubai to Bombay. These are the vessels that Michael Palin used to get "Around the World in 80 Days" back in the late 80's.

Exactly that. Well, Al-Sharma, pedantically... meaning 'candlelight' in Arabic.

The full maritime itinerary:
The Saudi Moon II - Suez/Jeddah
Al Sharma - Dubai/Bombay
Susak - Madras/Singapore
Neptune Diamond - Singapore/Hong Kong
Long Jin - Hong Kong/Guangzhou
Jian Zehn - Shanghai/Yokohama
Neptune Garnet - Tokyo/Long Beach
Leda Maersk - Newark/Felixstowe (via Le Havre)

You've been piped aboard, 3 minutes to sunset Sir (or whatever the sea scouts used to say).

DaleCooper

Established Member
Exactly that. Well, Al-Sharma, pedantically... meaning 'candlelight' in Arabic.

The full maritime itinerary:
The Saudi Moon II - Suez/Jeddah
Al Sharma - Dubai/Bombay
Susak - Madras/Singapore
Neptune Diamond - Singapore/Hong Kong
Long Jin - Hong Kong/Guangzhou
Jian Zehn - Shanghai/Yokohama
Neptune Garnet - Tokyo/Long Beach
Leda Maersk - Newark/Felixstowe (via Le Havre)

You've been piped aboard, 3 minutes to sunset Sir (or whatever the sea scouts used to say).
What about post #21,082?

perryman

What about post #21,082?

I didn't see that, sorry (I'm sure sometimes there's a delay server-side in answers/responses posting, as I'm as certain as I can be that I checked.

However, I would say that the answer @SteveM70 gave wasn't correct as I was looking for the name of the vessel. I realise one may have then got the answer from then knowing what the names but unless anything thinks different I think @Caboose Class should still have the next question but in the interest of sitting on the fence I'm more than happy to gave a play-off question.

Apologies again.