• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caboose Class

OK - thanks! A couple of Cricket questions:-
1) Who is the only English batsman to have scored a triple century in a Test Match at Headingley?
2) Who was the last England cricketer to have scored a Test Match triple century? It was more than 30 years ago!!!!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've cheated on the first, as a friend has told me that it was John Edrich (310*) against New Zealand in 1965. The second one is Graham Gooch (333).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that would be Sir Donald Bradman, who scored triple centuries there in 1930 and 1934.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you .. some more questions on Test Match grounds for you:

1. How many grounds have hosted Test matches since the start in 1877?
2. Which was the first and when?
3. Which was the most recent new ground, and when?
4. Which was the most recent new ground in England and when?
5. There are, or have been, two Test match grounds with "Lords" in the title - one is in London, of course, but where was the other one?
6. Which is the only English Test match ground not now used for cricket?

Play ... !

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
3. Australia v England in Hobart, Tasmania in January 2022, the most recent Test match.
6. Bramall Lane, Sheffield, now used exclusively for football by Sheffield United FC?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
3. Australia v England in Hobart, Tasmania in January 2022, the most recent Test match.
6. Bramall Lane, Sheffield, now used exclusively for football by Sheffield United FC?
3. No, Hobart became the latest Ashes ground last week, but it's been used for Test cricket since 1989.

6. This answer is right - it was used for one Test (a defeat against Australia!) in 1902.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
You actually asking which is the ground to become a cricket Test Match venue for the first time, most recently (and when)?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Yes, I am ... it's not Hobart, which was the 62nd ground to be used for the first time in 1989.

I can see where the confusion has arisen, though, and I've amended the question (and the following one) slightly to clarify the position.

Caboose Class

1. 121 Test Match grounds
3. Ekana Stadium, Lucknow, India in 2019
5. Lords in Durban, South Africa
I think questions 2,4 & 6 have been answered correctly.

Caboose Class

Well as cricket questions seem to be popular, here are three more:-

1. Which England bowler has conceded the most runs (28) in a Test match over?
2. Which West Indian bowler bowled a 15 ball over (9 no balls) against Australia?
3. Which England bowler has had the most 10-wicket hauls in Test matches?

SteveM70

Established Member
1 is the Burnley Lara himself, Jimmy Anderson. The Aussie all rounder who isn't Glenn Maxwell was batting - can't remember his name though

Last edited: