• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go South Coast

aliceh

Universities tend to go back a little later, so there might be the opportunity to shuffle things around for a week and run both the NFT and the college routes perhaps?

I'd also have suggested it might be to do with losing a couple of the Kingston Maurward contracts, but a quick look shows the Tour ended at the same time last year, so... I'm wrong there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Universities tend to go back a little later, so there might be the opportunity to shuffle things around for a week and run both the NFT and the college routes perhaps?

I'd also have suggested it might be to do with losing a couple of the Kingston Maurward contracts, but a quick look shows the Tour ended at the same time last year, so... I'm wrong there!

Maybe they have enough staff returning from annual leave to do both?

nw1

Established Member

Mind you, IIRC the university holiday schedule (on Unilink, for example) began early June, or mid-June at the latest.

When I was at university we had exams in late May or the first 10 days of June (including on one occasion, a Saturday morning!), rarely was anything work-wise going on in late June though the halls of residence remained open for those of us who wanted to hang around and there were a few social events.

MasterSpenny

Was this mentioned already? Either way, first new E400 buses will enter tomorrow. Do they have City or MMC bodywork?
We have taken delivery of the first one of our 49 brand new buses to our depot in Poole, ready for it to enter service on Friday 1 September.

Earlier this year, we announced a total investment of £13.5 million into a new fleet of vehicles, which will predominantly serve ourhigh frequency m1 and m2 routes between Bournemouth and Poole.

Each of the vehicles sports the latest Euro 6 low emissions engine - the newest and cleanest standard for diesel. They are British-built ADL Enviro 400 double deckers, and they cement the bus operator’s commitment to lowering emissions across the region.

The buses also have a striking new look on-board - with a more comfortable and spacious seating layout, and lighter flooring. The upper deck is laid out in a similar way to a coach, and there is a ‘stop’ button on the back of every other seat.

"We are delighted to receive the first few of our new fleet,” said Morebus managing director, Andrew Wickham. “They will go straight into service on our m1 route from Bournemouth to Poole, and will be followed by many more of our new vehicles shortly.

Demand for buses along this and the m2 route prompted us to replace single decker buses with these, higher capacity, double deckers. The m1 and m2 are our quickest routes between the two towns, so I do recommend the bottom deck, if there is seating available, for those who have mobility issues - to give all those on-board ample opportunity to alight at each stop. If you do use the upper deck, though, you’ll be able to take advantage of the extra space and great views.

These new buses offer additional comfort for every passenger travelling on them - as well as being far kinder to the environment, these impressive new Alexander Dennis E400 double decker buses include on-board technology like standard USB and USB C charging points and contactless, tap on tap off payment facilities.

This first bus we shorly be, followed by another 27 double deckers very soon - with an additional 21 arriving next spring.

The aim is to make sustainable transport a more attractive proposition, in order to entice people out of their cars. One full double decker bus can take up to 75 cars off the road - and this investment is a huge step in that direction.

Gloster

Established Member
Saw a red ex-London double deck on Southern Vectis service 9 on Monday. Is this a permanent transfer and how many are there? With its double doors and BUSES rounded it looked out of place.

I understand that it is a loan for up to around ten weeks using buses that came over for the Festival and SV did some work on: they should be here until the new buses are in service. There are, I think, at least three over here. (I saw one, got on another and saw a third and I don’t think that the first could have got there that quickly. (Two were DOE coded: I am not going to say why that sticks in my mind!) Internally they are entirely TfL style: less attractive but more practical than SV. I think the blinds are digital.

buslad1988

I understand that it is a loan for up to around ten weeks using buses that came over for the Festival and SV did some work on: they should be here until the new buses are in service. There are, I think, at least three over here. (I saw one, got on another and saw a third and I don’t think that the first could have got there that quickly. (Two were DOE coded: I am not going to say why that sticks in my mind!) Internally they are entirely TfL style: less attractive but more practical than SV. I think the blinds are digital.
They’ve got a special set of blinds. Actually quite smart!

Example of the blinds shown here and if you browse the album there are a variety of shots on different routes:

Gloster

Established Member
They’ve got a special set of blinds. Actually quite smart!

They are pretty good. I had a quick look as I was shuffling past on the way to boarding and I thought it was a digital blind with finer resolution than the SV ones. I think that the two I saw were DOE6 and 14.

Simon75

On Moderation
They are pretty good. I had a quick look as I was shuffling past on the way to boarding and I thought it was a digital blind with finer resolution than the SV ones. I think that the two I saw were DOE6 and 14.
Unusual for a bus outside London to still have roller blinds, rather than converting to electronic blinds

Marcus Fryer

Unusual for a bus outside London to still have roller blinds, rather than converting to electronic blinds
The latest Go Ahead London buses have digital blinds, which at a casual glance look like the roller blinds on older vehicles. Perhaps the buses transferred out were refitted with these before they left London?

Andyh82

Established Member
If they are only a temporary measure it’s probably cheaper to buy some roller blinds than to buy and install LED screens and to rebuild the destination aperture only to have to then uninstall them a few months later

buscoaster

Has anybody seen the 30 take much of a hit this year from the First X50 - is there room for both operators next year, and if not, who will blink?

WibbleWobble

1713 is out in service - observed around 1810 by myself in Bournemouth Square. 1714 and 1716 are also showing as out, according to bustimes.org.

MasterSpenny

Presume the DOE code’s being retained are because they are short term transfers
Article on the reason they are in the South West:

Here’s why London’s iconic red buses are operating on the Isle of Wight​

If you’ve spotted red London buses on the Isle of Wight and wondered what was going on, News OnTheWight has the answer.

Apparently there are several London buses on the Island, helping out until Southern Vectis’s new buses arrive — scheduled for the end of October.

News OnTheWight reader, Christopher Jackson, got in touch with these photos of the bus, operating on the No.9 route, in Ryde.

Richard Tyldsley, Southern Vectis general manager, told News OnTheWight,
“We have drafted in these buses temporarily from our sister company in London to replace some of our older buses, whilst we await the delayed delivery of our brand new double deckers – that are expected to arrive at the end of October this year.

“Our new buses will have the latest and cleanest euro-6 engines as well as an interior spec offering improved comfort for customers.

“In the meantime, we hope people enjoy seeing a temporary splash of red on the Island’s buses.”

Stephen1001

Two further ex-London Olympuses, DOE32 and DOE37, made their Bluestar debuts today working route 19 (confirmed by sight, not just Bustimes!)

Established Member
Went past the Poole depot on the train today an there was a Cardiff Bus E400 MCC there. Any ideas what it was doing?

BenS123

303 has also joined the morebus fleet on loan - here's a couple of photos I got of it earlier in Wimborne Square

Attachments

• PXL_20230913_151317725.jpg
    PXL_20230913_151317725.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20230913_151328217.jpg
    PXL_20230913_151328217.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20230913_151817807.jpg
    PXL_20230913_151817807.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 87

PTR 444

Established Member
and the 13 is increasing from half hourly to every 20 minutes.
Does anyone know if this frequency uplift is still going ahead? I haven’t found any mention of it on the Morebus website, and it is notably excluded from the 18th September timetable changes page.

BenS123

Does anyone know if this frequency uplift is still going ahead? I haven’t found any mention of it on the Morebus website, and it is notably excluded from the 18th September timetable changes page.
Luckily yes, it's mentioned at the bottom of https://www.morebus.co.uk/get-board-catch-bus-month-2023
"Service 13 from Bournemouth to Wimborne will also benefit from increased journeys with a new 20-minute frequency to be introduced in the New Year."

PTR 444

Established Member
Luckily yes, it's mentioned at the bottom of https://www.morebus.co.uk/get-board-catch-bus-month-2023
"Service 13 from Bournemouth to Wimborne will also benefit from increased journeys with a new 20-minute frequency to be introduced in the New Year."
Ahh thanks for pointing that out. I would not have guessed it was there from the title of the article. Without any further input I would have assumed the September uplift was either still going ahead or shelved completely, but it appears that it will now be starting in the new year

BenS123

Ahh thanks for pointing that out. I would not have guessed it was there from the title of the article. Without any further input I would have assumed the September uplift was either still going ahead or shelved completely, but it appears that it will now be starting in the new year
Took me a while to find it as well! It's probably waiting on more of these new E400MMCs

Wychwood93

The next ones on order are for the m2.
They mix about, as you know - two of the 73 plate new ones are on an m2 as I write - 1717 and 1721. 15 of them on 'bustimes' at the moment. I had one of the Cardiff ones - 303 - on a 1b back to Burton earlier. Obviously still with all the bi-lingual stuff!

Surreyman

Noticeable that Go-South Coasts combined groups 'decker fleet currently contains some pretty elderly examples, B7TLs original and ex London, a Trident, many Scanias and temp' loan vehicles from London & Cardiff.
Covering the Yellow Bus & City Reds operations has stretched the available fleet.
The new E400MMCs seem destined to replace single decks, would hope they can cascade E200MMCs to see off the Versas and Streetlites and the 2005 B7RLEs.

M803UYA

Noticeable that Go-South Coasts combined groups 'decker fleet currently contains some pretty elderly examples, B7TLs original and ex London, a Trident, many Scanias and temp' loan vehicles from London & Cardiff.
Covering the Yellow Bus & City Reds operations has stretched the available fleet.
The new E400MMCs seem destined to replace single decks, would hope they can cascade E200MMCs to see off the Versas and Streetlites and the 2005 B7RLEs.
Well it has yes, but if an opportunity to eliminate your two largest competitors was presented to you, wouldn't you take that opportunity?

There is a longer lead time on new vehicle orders, which evidently has disrupted the normal pattern Go South Coast has of fleet replacement. Typically, the company has prime routes which receive the new investment and then the older buses filter down. Are the Enviro 200 MMCs actually staying in the North West, or are they just temporarily assisting until new vehicles are delivered there?

Cardiff have been disposing of a number of the base white Enviro 400 MMCs which have joined the fleet post the 2015 examples - so if that company wished to raise some money then those 2015 buses (some of which are now on loan) might find themselves disposed of at 8 years old, they're midlife now. That wouldn't be the first time they've got rid of midlife double deck buses in preference to older examples!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There were the superannuated Bristol VRs that were in the Wilts and Dorset fleet. The B7TLs have been drafted in but, as @M803UYA rightly states, it was better to get in and establish primacy than let another firm in even if that means a few elderly vehicles in the short term