• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go South Coast

nw1

Established Member
According to bustimes.org, the Swindon vehicles are 401-406 and 408 and they have been operating on the 10,13,15 and 20 during the past week.

Ah, are those the green and blue single deckers which have been around since Bluestar took over? They have been focusing on the 10, 13, 14 and 15 for some months now.

They were never branded Swindon if so, and seem to be with Bluestar long-term, unlike the More, Salisbury Reds and Southern Vectis examples.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marcus Fryer

Ah, are those the green and blue single deckers which have been around since Bluestar took over? They have been focusing on the 10, 13, 14 and 15 for some months now.

They were never branded Swindon if so, and seem to be with Bluestar long-term, unlike the More, Salisbury Reds and Southern Vectis examples.
Yes, they were in Swindon until about 9 months ago, then moved to Bluestar. From the same bustimes.org source as quoted in post #330.

nw1

Established Member
Yes, they were in Swindon until about 9 months ago, then moved to Bluestar. From the same bustimes.org source as quoted in post #330.

Thanks, incidentally you say they were on the 10, 13, 15 and 20 in the past week - I presume they were on the 14 also.
I say that as the 14 typically interworks with the 13 and the 10, or at least it did prior to September.

Marcus Fryer

Thanks, incidentally you say they were on the 10, 13, 15 and 20 in the past week - I presume they were on the 14 also.
I say that as the 14 typically interworks with the 13 and the 10, or at least it did prior to September.
Again according to the same source as post #330 (bustimes.org) they were also on the 14.

Towers

Established Member

They do carry a strapline along the sides at roof level which says “Better bus services in Southampton”, which was altered from the original which read “…in our town” when they ran in Swindon. It’s subtle though! :)

Eyersey468

Established Member
When are the new buses for Southern Vectis arriving? I believe they were due last month but haven't heard anything to say they have arrived

Dorsetbus

When are the new buses for Southern Vectis arriving? I believe they were due last month but haven't heard anything to say they have arrived
I think the last few morebus vehicles are about to arrive. I'd expect the southern Vectis vehicles after them.

PTR 444

Established Member
Any planning condition would have to be relevant to the development being permitted. Legally, the Council couldn’t justify requiring a bus priority scheme just because of any changes to the buildings; the two are unrelated.
Would it be possible for the council to buy out the ferry company and undertake all improvements themselves?

aliceh

Would it be possible for the council to buy out the ferry company and undertake all improvements themselves?
I don't think Dorset council have any funds to do so. They're expecting (if I've read their budget plans right) to have a deficit over the next four years, so there wouldn't be any room to purchase the ferry company.

In theory, if they had enough money, it could happen. But that's an impossible 'if'.

Man of Kent

I don't think Dorset council have any funds to do so. They're expecting (if I've read their budget plans right) to have a deficit over the next four years, so there wouldn't be any room to purchase the ferry company.

In theory, if they had enough money, it could happen. But that's an impossible 'if'.
The ferry straddles the boundary between Dorset Council and Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole Council.

WibbleWobble

The ferry straddles the boundary between Dorset Council and Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole Council.
Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole Council have no money, they are desperately trying to save it. Even the Air Festival's future is up in the air, despite the millions it generates, and Christmas lights this year have been axed.

The alternative is the council goes bankrupt and if the council goes bankrupt, we have to make those cuts but someone else decides and those cuts are even worse.

That is the stark warning from the leader of BCP Council about the “very difficult time” ahead for the local authority’s finances.

aliceh

True, but the ferry road itself is fully on the Dorset Council side. Even if they could, I doubt BCP would care enough to spend that much money on something outside their area so that a single, non-council funded bus route could skip a few queues. I think the 50, outside of tourist season, largely operates so people from Purbeck can get to Bournemouth rather than the other way around, too.

OptareOlympus

True, but the ferry road itself is fully on the Dorset Council side. Even if they could, I doubt BCP would care enough to spend that much money on something outside their area so that a single, non-council funded bus route could skip a few queues. I think the 50, outside of tourist season, largely operates so people from Purbeck can get to Bournemouth rather than the other way around, too.
No, even in winter, the flow is around 95% towards Swanage.

MotCO

Established Member
Interesting. Obviously as a private road Dorset Council can't do anything on the Shell Bay side as highway authority, but the delays do raise wider transport and tourism issues, and in a sane world some improvement on the status quo should be possible.
The Council could close the road before it becomes a private road, depriving the ferry company of any traffic. It wouldn't take long for the ferry company to back down and allow faster access for buses :D

miklcct

On Moderation
There is an article published by Bournemouth Echo titled "Letter: 'Bus passengers should be aware of fare madness'", describing how morebus charges a passenger more than £2 for a single journey just because the bus changes the number en-route.

The journey involved was from the Broadway to the hospital, and
The driver said the fare would be £3 – my friend reminded him calmly and politely that all journeys are now advertised at £2.

The driver’s reply was that as this bus changes its number partly along the route that charge is more than the usual £2 – as the change in the bus number constitutes a separate journey.

[...]

When she got home she rang the Morebus company to try to gain some sense of the situation and it was confirmed by the manager she spoke to that if you are on a bus that changes it s number on route the driver can charge you an extra amount of money!
It seems that it's a loophole where the bus company can take advantage of, right? By registering their loop services with separate numbers on different part of loop, morebus can circumvent the £2 cap while remaining in the scheme, getting extra money from both the passenger and from the government (because two "journeys" instead of one are submitted to government for reimbursement).

Routes 12/22 and 16/17 are both operated in this way. Also, can morebus charge extra when taking a through journey on X6 from Bournemouth to Verwood as well because it is "registered as two different services"?

WibbleWobble

It seems that it's a loophole where the bus company can take advantage of, right? By registering their loop services with separate numbers on different part of loop, morebus can circumvent the £2 cap while remaining in the scheme, getting extra money from both the passenger and from the government (because two "journeys" instead of one are submitted to government for reimbursement).
Given the 12 and 22 started when Yellow Buses collapsed (albeit as 4 and 2 respectively), then the services were registered before the £2 fare cap began.

I believe transfer fares, of which this would be, were excluded from the fare cap by the Department for Transport. The likes of the X6 would be different because it would be seen as the same service.

As the journey concerned was a transfer fare, it would be excluded from any reimbursement because it would be excluded from the scheme. So your comment about getting two journeys worth of reimbursement would be false.

Titfield

Established Member
Also I would expect it might be just as quick (if not even quicker) to take the 40 bus from Swanage to Wareham and change onto the train for Bournemouth.

Given the "connection time" at Wareham it is quicker to take the 50 bus from Swanage to Bournemouth rather than 40 bus Swanage to Wareham and then SWT, it is also considerably cheaper.

341o2

Established Member
There is an article published by Bournemouth Echo titled "Letter: 'Bus passengers should be aware of fare madness'", describing how morebus charges a passenger more than £2 for a single journey just because the bus changes the number en-route.
But it wasn't en route. It terminated at Castlepoint, then departed on a different route.
So could I catch a 5 at Kinson, travel to the Square where it becomes a 1B, and travel to Christchurch, or a M1 at Littledown, stay on board at Poole, where it becomes a M2, and travel to Southbourne, likewise for £2?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Not knowing the area at all, I have a couple of questions:
  • What's the actual distance travelled on the journey mentioned in post #347, and
  • What would it have cost before the £2 fare cap was introduced?

WibbleWobble

Not knowing the area at all, I have a couple of questions:
  • What's the actual distance travelled on the journey mentioned in post #347, and
  • What would it have cost before the £2 fare cap was introduced?
I've just re-read the article - a trip to the hospital from The Broadway would be impossible on the 12/22 as neither serve that stop. The 12 runs via Muscliff estate, so the closest stop would be halfway down Broadway Lane. From The Broadway, the m1 (or failing that, the 14 or 15) would provide a direct bus (so £2 under the cap, not sure on the pre-cap fare but probably something like £2.50).

Wychwood93

I've just re-read the article - a trip to the hospital from The Broadway would be impossible on the 12/22 as neither serve that stop. The 12 runs via Muscliff estate, so the closest stop would be halfway down Broadway Lane. From The Broadway, the m1 (or failing that, the 14 or 15) would provide a direct bus (so £2 under the cap, not sure on the pre-cap fare but probably something like £2.50).
The Bournemouth Echo is not known for actually checking stories and letters. In the comments under the article the last, current, entry points out the same point that you have raised. A couple of weeks ago I did hear a conversation between a customer and a driver of the 12/22 - the driver said that the change of number made no difference nd not to worry about it.

Eyersey468

Established Member
The Bournemouth Echo is not known for actually checking stories and letters. In the comments under the article the last, current, entry points out the same point that you have raised. A couple of weeks ago I did hear a conversation between a customer and a driver of the 12/22 - the driver said that the change of number made no difference nd not to worry about it.
Off topic but let's face it it seems like none of the press are very good at fact checking

aliceh

Just to muddy the waters further, I would add that in the past - certainly when they were the 2/4b with Yellow Buses - through fares were available on the route. The 4B (now 12) originally ran to the Hospital and this when was cut back to Castlepoint, the through fare was introduced after a bit of backlash about passengers from Winton and Muscliffe having to pay twice to get to the hospital.

More have never made any specific mention of through fares on the route. When they originally took over the Yellow Buses routes, all they said was "This route will then continue as a route 2, so for those needing Royal Bournemouth Hospital and Iford you can stay on the same bus." which leaves it open a bit as to how the fares are set on that.

pm2304877

On Moderation
I know there's a caveat on buslists.uk fleet movement notices but GSC have received a large number of ex London DOE class ADL E40D s with Optare bodies Are these being "switched" (pun intended)?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I know there's a caveat on buslists.uk fleet movement notices but GSC have received a large number of ex London DOE class ADL E40D s with Optare bodies Are these being "switched" (pun intended)?
An E400 with an Optare body? I'd suggest your source is incorrect. Do you have the direct link to the page that this information came from?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Seen heading down the M5 earlier today (23rd October) were 2x Enviro200 MMC in Swindon Bus Company colours. I don't know if they had been on loan elsewhere or were transfers. I saw them between, I think, J13 and J12 but I was heading north so no idea of registrations.

Dave

WibbleWobble

Seen heading down the M5 earlier today (23rd October) were 2x Enviro200 MMC in Swindon Bus Company colours. I don't know if they had been on loan elsewhere or were transfers. I saw them between, I think, J13 and J12 but I was heading north so no idea of registrations.
Returning home from loan at Wigan / Bolton.

An E400 with an Optare body? I'd suggest your source is incorrect. Do you have the direct link to the page that this information came from?
An E400 chassis yes - albeit was still referred to as a Trident chassis for a time. Even Optare referred to it as a E400:
  • Available on a choice of chassis - Volvo B9TL, Scania N230UD and ADL E400

Last edited: