• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gone and got myself an interview with DB Tyne & Wear Metro!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrysno1dad

Who's a happy boy then, just got my interview letter from DB today.

Anyone who has been through the process with them, if you have any tips they would be greatfully recieved. I'm desperate to move jobs and this just seems ideal.

I don't suppose anyone knows what tests they actually use if i was to progress past the interview stage?

I've been told at Doncaster you have to do the Gb, mechanical and reaction tests then a very nasty interview.

Of course I have to impress at interview number 1 first.

fingers crossed, fingers crossed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beveridges

Established Member
I've been told at Doncaster you have to do the Gb, mechanical and reaction tests then a very nasty interview
Thats for heavy rail now DB Tyne & Wear Metro is light rail so I believe they do a seperate set of tests

GNER 373

Well done Harry's Dad!

I also have received the letter to which I was very happy! What dates your interview?

I wouldn't be too sure on the light/heavy railway part as Metros run on the national rail network between Pelaw and Sunderland therefore the testing is as rigorous as mainline ones are.

Sammy h

I received a letter, but I have been incited to an interview in Newcastle? Maybe it was a different job I applied for...

harrysno1dad

I was sure i'd missed out, so rang to get some feedback and the HR team told me, they had nearly 600 applicants and were still going through them, I rang on wed last week and they told me they were nearly down to the shortlist, and hoped to have the letters out next week with ints early jan.

My int is in newcastle at the Thistle hotel. Trainee Traincrew is the role I applied for. Tuesday 8th is my int date.

Congrats on your interviews by the way. But keep your hands of my job!!:D:D

Last edited:

GNER 373

I was sure i'd missed out, so rang to get some feedback and the HR team told me, they had nearly 600 applicants and were still going through them, I rang on wed last week and they told me they were nearly down to the shortlist, and hoped to have the letters out next week with ints early jan.

My int is in newcastle at the Thistle hotel. Trainee Traincrew is the role I applied for. Tuesday 8th is my int date.

Congrats on your interviews by the way. But keep your hands of my job!!:D:D

Same here! Same date! Good luck....and don't worry from what I can make of it they take in more than one at a time due to the training costs, it's cheaper to do a few than one! Might see you in Doncaster!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I received a letter, but I have been incited to an interview in Newcastle? Maybe it was a different job I applied for...

I think you maybe misread the OP. the interviews are in Newcastle but they normally do the testing at Doncaster :)

Sammy h

I did misread the OP, I apologise.

I presume they do the interviews before the tests to save money. Cannot wait, can't believe I have an interview. Hopefully there are a few jobs available. Research begins now!
Does anyone on here work for them out of interest? Are Sundays included in the salary or on top of the salary?

Established Member
You'll be rostered to work any day of the week, I don't think there are any extra allowances for weekend working. Can't remember about Bank Holidays.

harrysno1dad

bank holidays are normal days if you are on the rota to work (8 week rolling pattern i think but don't quote me on that), you do however get a lieu day to take at a later time for working it.

CGS

I did misread the OP, I apologise.

I presume they do the interviews before the tests to save money. Cannot wait, can't believe I have an interview. Hopefully there are a few jobs available. Research begins now!
Does anyone on here work for them out of interest? Are Sundays included in the salary or on top of the salary?

There's 18 jobs as far as I'm aware mate. I've got my interview on Jan 9th-good luck!

Sammy h

Good to know there are a few jobs available.

Having spoken to them it appears that this is just a competency based interview to see if suitable for the job, then the tests will follow later in January/February.

Anybody had an interview with them before and know what to expect?
Can anybody confirm you would still receive a priv card working on the Metro? Is it still classed as the 'railway' ?

Established Member
You get free travel on Arriva Group services, and a Priv card for Northern and TPE. No other discounts on the rest of the TOCs.

Established Member
They were advertised a while ago now, around September/October (on the Nexus website as well).
How did people find the interviews?

Sammy h

I really enjoyed my interview. I think it went rather well, but we will see...

I was told... 550 applicants, 115 have been interviewed. When they do an intake they take six on. They are possibly doing two intakes, one in April and one three months later in July so quite a tough process. Not sure how many they wo choose for the tests, but I was told over 50% don't get through the tests....

Fingers crossed I make the next round, really enjoyed it today and would absolutely love to get the job. Good luck to everyone else :)

harrysno1dad

I felt it went well on leaving, obviously though during the day afterwards, I went through all my answers and realised that I had missed loads of important information. Hopefully though i've done enough, I so so so want this job, it'll mean so much to me and my family, I really hope I've done enough.

I was told that if by the end of Feb if you haven't head then its game over, was that the same message that others got? I assume that this is so long due to them sending people for the tests until they have the numbers they require.

Best of luck for all that went for the interview. I didn't ask the how many are being interviewed question as I wasn't sure if I wanted to feel even more depressed if I had missed out only to a few others. 115 is quite a lot, as expected. So my answers will have had to be good to progress.

Clip

Established Member
Good luck to you all I hope you get the jobs you went for!!

If not - dont give up hope theres always next time

Sammy h

Now we play my favourite railway recruitment game.... The waiting game :)

I was told the testing would be done at the end of January/February so I presume we will hear soon.

Hopefully by email, although I was advised I had an interview in a letter so maybe they will do the same...

Good luck again people!

loui282

Hi, I'm new to this forum and attended my interview at the thistle hotel on 9th of jan. I was told same as everyone that if you havent heard by end of feb then you were unsuccessful. Was also told that they would take on 6 trainees for the april course intake. They did mention though that even if u are not in the april intake u can still be asked to do the assessments and be put in their waiting list for the next intake even if its a year later. So they are just doing the tests and interviews now. Wonder if anyone has been invited to the assessments that take place on thursday. Would be a shame to be invited with only a few days notice eventhough they did warn us about the assessments on thursday. If anyone has heard anything back, do let us know. I'm still waiting to here back.

Sammy h

May I ask how you know there is an assessment on Thursday?

Last edited:

GNER 373

Hi, I'm new to this forum and attended my interview at the thistle hotel on 9th of jan. I was told same as everyone that if you havent heard by end of feb then you were unsuccessful. Was also told that they would take on 6 trainees for the april course intake. They did mention though that even if u are not in the april intake u can still be asked to do the assessments and be put in their waiting list for the next intake even if its a year later. So they are just doing the tests and interviews now. Wonder if anyone has been invited to the assessments that take place on thursday. Would be a shame to be invited with only a few days notice eventhough they did warn us about the assessments on thursday. If anyone has heard anything back, do let us know. I'm still waiting to here back.

I got given a practice booklet for the tests and heard everything you've mentioned above except for the tests on Thursday...which Thursday?

loui282

The lady that gave us the booklets mentioned that the tests were next thursday which I'm assuming is the 17th. I thought that was a bit short notice with just a week to revise especially for people who hadnt practiced the tests before. Anyway I could have heard wrong if no one else was given this info. I was never told about the tests being end of jan/feb, but on the other hand I never asked coz I already thought I knew that they were next thursday. Lets all wait and see.

Sammy h

I presume nobody has heard back then? Hopefully this confirms that the tests are over the next few weeks and not tomorrow!

MetroKen

I haven't heard back yet, I'd say if we haven't heard by friday then that's it as i know someone who has made it through and they got their letter today - theres always ftpe....but it closes Friday. Fingers well and truly crossed mate
Also tests not tomorrow, they are running from next thurs to 5th feb

Established Member
I know of a couple who have had their letters today, one has an assessment at the end of next week, the other is the week after.

Sammy h

No letter for me :( Not looking good, hopefully my postman will be delivering some good news tomorrow! Fingers crossed.
Not a letter today either, heartbreaking stuff. Thought my interview went really well, gutted.

harrysno1dad

No letter for me :( Not looking good, hopefully my postman will be delivering some good news tomorrow! Fingers crossed.
Not a letter today either, heartbreaking stuff. Thought my interview went really well, gutted.

Same here, i've heard nothing, but thought that my interview had gone really really well.

I'll be totally gutted if I dont' hear anything. Of course all the early ones may fail the tests and not have the conentration etc... and thus allowing us to have a shot!

I've had todays post aswell!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.