• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greasy Spoon Cafes

Do you like traditional Greasy Spoon Cafes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
There’s a really good one just through the arches behind Vauxhall Station in London. It’s called Kennington Lane Cafe. I’ve used it when I stayed at the nearby Travelodge. Fantastic good value breakfast at half the price of the rubbish Travelodge breakfast. They have a very extensive menu for the rest of the day too. Really friendly and most customers in there seemed to be regulars that they knew.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Personally, I'd rather pop into Bills or Cote for brunch or something,
I am not sure you are comparing like with like here. I also wonder if you have ever been without the money to eat in these type of places. £12.95 ( as mentioned above for something called a Bills brunch) was more than my weekly food budget at several times during my life.

As for local cafes they are there to do a job: provide a cheap warm bacon roll when I have a stinking hangover or if i am off to the match early doors! If I am going out for breakfast with my partner after a long lie in we will go to the nice little restaurant round the corner. They do a good "brunch" in a civilised environment.

it is horses for courses as they say.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Established Member
Personally, I'd rather pop into Bills or Cote for brunch or something, but I'd prefer even a Tesco meal deal, or hunger, to a trip to a greasy spoon.
When I am in York I like to have breakfast in Betty’s. I enjoy the breakfast and the experience and will even pay the £15+ as a one off treat. It is not something that I would do much more than once a year and as long as it’s clean I love greasy spoon type places for breakfasts. Like others I also sometimes like runny eggs, tinned tomatoes and black pudding from Bury is the best.

SteveM70

Established Member
I like a fried breakfast about once every 3 or 4 months, and the best fried breakfasts come from what are characterised as (but aren't really) greasy spoons. Bridge Cafe in Todmorden is good - quick and cheerful service, inexpensive, and happy to substitute items on the menu so I don't have to endure the hell that is eating tinned tomatoes. And its only a couple of hundred yards from the station too

96tommy

Love a greasy spoon. For a few years I lived pretty much next door to Pellicci's (an East London institution) on Bethnal Green Road and was never out of the place. Nowadays I live in Notting Hill and the lack of greasy spoons is disappointing to say the least!

ChrisC

Established Member
No it isn't: Stornoway Black Pudding is.

EDIT: although Bury black pudding is the best you will get in Tesco on a regular basis.
I agree that genuine Stornaway black pudding is excellent and I have eaten it when I have been on holiday in the Western Isles. It was Bury black pudding in comparison to the sliced black pudding that you get on many breakfasts that I was referring to. The black pudding that you get from local butchers and markets in the Bury area and in other parts of Lancashire is better than that sold in Tesco.

gg1

Established Member
Love them, and compared to chippies and takeaways, the proportion of bad ones is far smaller. When I lived in Leicester in the early 00s there was a really nice one about 5 minutes walk from home, used to average 1 visit a week.

The only thing I can't be doing with is tinned tomatoes - it's fresh tomatoes or none at all.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
@D365 from a quick search, it looks like Cafe Nuvo in between Victoria and St. James' Park is a greasy spoon not unlike what this thread is about. If you wish to try it, I'd love to know what you think. I don't dispute that while I hate such cafes myself, they are remarkably popular with some.

When I am in York I like to have breakfast in Betty’s. I enjoy the breakfast and the experience and will even pay the £15+ as a one off treat. It is not something that I would do much more than once a year and as long as it’s clean I love greasy spoon type places for breakfasts. Like others I also sometimes like runny eggs, tinned tomatoes and black pudding from Bury is the best.
I would love to do that myself. The breakfast in Betty's looks wonderful.
EDIT: although Bury black pudding is the best you will get in Tesco on a regular basis.
That's not true black pudding coming in the packets; the true Bury black pudding is served up fresh in the Bury market, still in the skins! :wub:
I'll probably get some stick for this, but an early morning McDonalds bacon & egg McMuffin with extra hash browns (to die for) and a piping hot coffee was my standard "go-to" as an office worker in Birmingham ..... The nearest equivalent to a greasy spoon café in the town I now live in is actually very good value for money with a wide range of all-day breakfast options. In contrast, the more up-market local restaurant seems to have gone downhill since the pandemic - increased prices and slightly chipped crockery last time I went.
I don't drink coffee from McDonald's; I prefer a vanilla latte from Starbucks or chai-tea latte from Pret-A-Manger (I know, hopelessly basic of me) myself, but a sausage and egg McMuffin and their iconic hash browns is a great "quick" breakfast for when at Waterloo at 7am, about to get onto the tube. It is still fatty and unhealthy, but I far prefer it to "cafe" food.
Believe it or not, I'm not all that bothered about getting square sausage as long as the links are okay. Decent black pudding is a must and sliced haggis is definitely a plus, although not always offered. Regarding the lighting factory, I've got no idea. I know Thorn had a place in Buckie (originally AEI, perhaps), which is about the same distance from me in the opposite direction.
Not a fan of Lorne; I find Lancashire/GM black pudding and Scottish haggis to be delicious.

ChrisC

Established Member
The only thing I can't be doing with is tinned tomatoes - it's fresh tomatoes or none at all.
I certainly prefer fresh tomatoes but I would rather have tinned tomatoes than those large ones cut in half and only slightly cooked that are served on many breakfasts. Sometimes I think it would be preferable to have a completely uncooked fresh tomato than one that is hard in the middle and has only been under a grill for a few seconds. All personal choice.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I certainly prefer fresh tomatoes but I would rather have tinned tomatoes than those large ones cut in half and only slightly cooked that are served on many breakfasts. Sometimes I think it would be preferable to have a completely uncooked fresh tomato than one that is hard in the middle and has only been under a grill for a few seconds. All personal choice.
I like grilled cherry tomatoes on the vine. Wonderful taste and very juicy. The flavour of tomatoes on the vine is very good.

southern442

Established Member
I absolutely adore these types of places, especially if one is eating out on a budget. Much much wider variety than fast food places, and they fill you up much more easily for not much more of the cost. Plus you can get a really great cup of tea from most of them, and you're supporting a local business in the age of monopoly chain restaurants. In fact writing this has made me want to go to one right now for brunch, but alas I will stick with my packed lunch as I'm off to the pub this evening so have to watch what I spend.

Big Tim

Stornoway Black Pudding is indeed my absolute favourite. In Broughty Ferry (Tayside) just now and will have to nip to the local chippy for some Stornaway Fritters tonight now this has come to mind!

(Sorry I know I’m off topic!) :)

Drogba11CFC

Very good one next to Alton station. You can choose whatever 5, 7 or 9 items you like and get a free cup of tea or coffee.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There used to be an absolutely fantastic one right in the middle of Leeds, at least until 2005-2006 ish. Can't remember the name and no idea if it's still there!

Sadly I never came across that one.

I did live in Leeds at that time, so used to frequent one called "Crusty Bin's" in Headingly :)

D365

Veteran Member
@D365 from a quick search, it looks like Cafe Nuvo in between Victoria and St. James' Park is a greasy spoon not unlike what this thread is about. If you wish to try it, I'd love to know what you think. I don't dispute that while I hate such cafes myself, they are remarkably popular with some.
If this thread is still going in April I shall report back. From my side, I appreciate a simple hot lunch in the £3-5 range, to keep me going during an office or depot day.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Amazingly enough, this is the only Greasy Spoon I've visited in the last 20 years, on several occasions but not in the last 5 or 6 years. It was a Sunday morning staple for my companion and I when visiting London, aided by free legal parking within yards. The last time I visited fried egg, hash browns, two rashers of bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, fried bread and tomatoes, together with a round of toast and mug of tea or coffee had just gone up to £3.50! Actually, we had to go to the cafe opposite once and it was almost as good and similarly priced.

Trackman

Established Member
It's always a treat to find one that does fried bread !
Don't think I've had one in 40 years, think the last time was with my dad somewhere in London as he knew a great 'hidden gem' Transport Cafe. The plate was absolutely full- enough calories for a week and several myocardial infarctions in the future. Can't beat fried bread though!

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'll agree with those who don't like tinned tomatoes. Normally there's a choice of baked beans instead in the cafes I frequent. I have to disagree with those who like fried bread though; toast every time for me. The best places will offer thick brown toast and not the thin white stuff.

You do have to be choosy though. If in an unfamiliar place I choose the busiest as it's likely to be the best. In Wales they have to display food hygiene ratings outside, which is useful. I'm not sure if that applies elsewhere.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A good tip is to try and go to somewhere frequented by truckers and builders. Those guys will expect a decent feed.

XAM2175

Established Member
A good tip is to try and go to somewhere frequented by truckers and builders. Those guys will expect a decent feed.
Bit like how I know my local Chinese is a good 'un because it's where the cops from down the road get their dinner :E

Status
Not open for further replies.