• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

AY1975

Established Member
I see from the GCR website that they are having a Firing Training Weekend this coming weekend (18th-19th Feb) to train new drivers and firemen (or should I say firepeople?).

According to the timetable for this weekend, the 12.00 and 14.00 from Loughborough (returning from Leicester North at 12.50 and 14.45 respectively) will have griddle cars and the 13.00 from Loughborough and 14.10 from Leicester North will be a dining train.

Not sure whether this belongs in this thread or warrants a separate thread (I seem to recall that there was a general thread on catering on heritage railways a few years ago but I can't find it and it's probably locked now), but I wondered whether one single journey on one of the trains with griddle cars, rather than a return trip on the same train, would be long enough to eat a full cooked breakfast or veggie breakfast?

I've never eaten in a GCR griddle car, but I have been on their Christmas dining trains in the past, usually on the evening of the first Saturday in December. As I recall it took at least two, maybe three, return trips on the line to eat a whole Christmas meal, and even ordinarily I would expect that you would need to do one return trip on the dining train to eat a full three- or four-course meal.

Also, although the timetable shows the 13.00 ex-Loughborough as a dining train, when you click on Dining Services and First Class Dining Trains at the top of the homepage it doesn't mention a Saturday lunch service on Saturday 18th Feb but does mention an afternoon tea service on the 14.00 ex-Loughborough on that date (which the timetable shows as having a griddle car).

Also of note is that the 15.45 ex-Loughborough and 16.30 ex-Leicester North (the last train) are shown as being double headed on both days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
An presumably the same applies to the “real” public-service railway? No need for trains to be fully platformed, no need for central door locking, etc. because the public should look before they leap.
Yes - exactly that. Though of course both measures mentioned may of course be justifiable in terms of delay avoidance etc.

D6968

An presumably the same applies to the “real” public-service railway? No need for trains to be fully platformed, no need for central door locking, etc. because the public should look before they leap. No, preserved railways are just as capable of injuring customers as is the big railway, and they should be held to standards. If GCR can’t find the time or funds to extend platforms, it should shorten its trains.
Well I don’t know about yourself, but I certainly like to look where I’m going… I really don’t think it’s that difficult.

Look we really shouldn’t speculate on the incident in question but I do get the feeling that a certain poster has decided to how to put this? Decided to be a bit of a mischief maker in their post.
If you were there and witnessed what happened then I’m sure RAIB would love to have your account and be able to act upon on it.

JKF

Plenty of people have mobility issues, poor vision or are excitable children and wouldn’t easily negotiate an exit onto a platform ramp if a train was misaligned in the station, so a ‘common sense’ justification just won’t wash. A duty of care exists to all users including differing ages and abilities.

Plenty of people have mobility issues, poor vision or are excitable children and wouldn’t easily negotiate an exit onto a platform ramp if a train was misaligned in the station, so a ‘common sense’ justification just won’t wash. A duty of care exists to all users including differing ages and abilities.
+1

12C

Well I don’t know about yourself, but I certainly like to look where I’m going… I really don’t think it’s that difficult.

Look we really shouldn’t speculate on the incident in question but I do get the feeling that a certain poster has decided to how to put this? Decided to be a bit of a mischief maker in their post.
If you were there and witnessed what happened then I’m sure RAIB would love to have your account and be able to act upon on it.
Assuming you’re referring to my post, you have misunderstood. I didn’t witness what happened regarding the injured passenger and I certainly wasn’t intending to be a ‘mischief maker’. I pointed out in the past I had once misjudged a door slightly on the ramp myself, which I admit was my fault, I should have paid more attention, but I can personally see how easily this could lead to an accident. It must be nice to have never made an error of judgement yourself, or a momentary lapse of concentration.

This issue is also no particular secret, and I don’t really see why it can’t be discussed. Trains not being fully platformed is something which happens at loads of heritage railways across the UK, certainly not just the GCR, as used to be the case under BR before the days of CDL. Many run trains longer than the platforms at certain stations and the outcome of this report may open the proverbial can of worms as to how this is done in future.

However if I have misjudged my comments I apologise and will say no more on the matter.

D6968

This is why you’re usually told which portion of the train to travel in and where to alight.
As I say we don’t know the full story so it’s unwise to speculate

Trainfan344

Established Member
One problem I noticed especially at the end of the Winter Gala is the lack of platform staff to be on hand to assist alighting. A few members of platform staff positioned along the platform could help minimise risk.

Falcon1200

Established Member
If GCR can’t find the time or funds to extend platforms, it should shorten its trains.

Or maybe just lock the end door on each set out of use and clearly mark it as such? Much as I agree that the primary responsibility for our safety rests with us, this is a clear risk, particularly to people not used to slam doors which can be opened at any time, unlike trains on the national network.

Flying Phil

Established Member
It was busy on the GCR yesterday with the car parks at Quorn and Rothley virtually full for much of the day. The steam hauled trains had most seats/tables taken and the griddle car was busy. The GCR breakfast is still very good value!
The Windcutter rake was on the training duty with the mixed freight also ready for use.
The two bridges either side of Quorn have been prepared for removal and there is a big "Works" compound at the South end of Quorn station yard.
In the engine shed there were 8 boilerless chassis (Oliver Cromwell, Boscastle, Witherslack Hall, 04, Black 5, 8F, 777 Sir Lamiel plus Thornbury) and the Ivatt 2 being worked on to start its overhaul.

It is Paw Patrol on the GCR for the last three days of running the length of the line. At the end of the week the two bridges either side of Quorn are to be replaced, taking five weeks. There will still be a service though, at weekends, running the DMUs between Leicester North, Rothley and Mountsorrel.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was busy on the GCR yesterday with the car parks at Quorn and Rothley virtually full for much of the day. The steam hauled trains had most seats/tables taken and the griddle car was busy. The GCR breakfast is still very good value!
The Windcutter rake was on the training duty with the mixed freight also ready for use.
The two bridges either side of Quorn have been prepared for removal and there is a big "Works" compound at the South end of Quorn station yard.
In the engine shed there were 8 boilerless chassis (Oliver Cromwell, Boscastle, Witherslack Hall, 04, Black 5, 8F, 777 Sir Lamiel plus Thornbury) and the Ivatt 2 being worked on to start its overhaul.

It is Paw Patrol on the GCR for the last three days of running the length of the line. At the end of the week the two bridges either side of Quorn are to be replaced, taking five weeks. There will still be a service though, at weekends, running the DMUs between Leicester North, Rothley and Mountsorrel.

I’d really love to do the Mountsorrel branch at some point. I’ve viewed the site and visited the cafe but that’s it so far…

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Cowley
Obviously you are not the only one wanting to "do" the branch....Rothley car park was totally full today with passengers for the first day of the DMU service Leicester North to Mountsorrel.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi Cowley
Obviously you are not the only one wanting to "do" the branch....Rothley car park was totally full today with passengers for the first day of the DMU service Leicester North to Mountsorrel.

That’s good to hear.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks a similar turnout today, half an hour till the train and Rothley car park is nearly full.

railfan99

Established Member
Rothley car park was totally full today with passengers for the first day of the DMU service Leicester North to Mountsorrel.

No surprise in the information age that this excellent video featuring lineside shots and a trip on board a two-car railcar is available:

The branch seems in top condition: nicely ballasted.

When I travelled during the September 2022 steam gala, it was wonderful to observe the complicated track layout at Swithland Sidings plus the large number of semaphore signals on the railway.

A friend who visited with his wife a few months before me (we hail from Australia) said GCR seemed to be run professionally. Agree. Though not the longest in England, it had many features those of us who enjoy 'line bashing' look for.

I hope operations on the branch become a regular feature. The weekend's trains may not be typical of what GCR could expect once any novelty factor evaporated, but from the video, they seemed to be very well patronised with not huge numbers of vacant seats. Great! loadings

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
The old bridges either side of Quorn have been lifted out and parts of one are seen here at Rothley.
DSC02455.JPG

The new bridge sections are seen here in Quorn yard. A large rail crane is due to arrive and put them in place this weekend I was told.
DSC02458.JPG

RAIB are now asking for witnesses to the events of 14th January. If anyone was at Loughborough or on a GCR train that day, please get in touch:

railfan99

Established Member
Wow. Single car railcar. Great: 1950s reincarnated.

This railway hasn't published timetables for later in the year: harder to plan a visit.

I assume there will only be occasional timetabled trips along the Mountsorrel short branchline?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan
According to the latest "Main Line" magazine, the Mountsorrel Railway will be operating on the last Saturday from April to August, each Thursday July 20th to August 24th and the weekend 30th Sept/1st Oct. So plenty more opportunities to sample this delightful GCR branch line in 2023.

I'm sure the GCR website will have detailed timetables very soon, now that the two bridges either side of Quorn have been replaced.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Wow. Single car railcar. Great: 1950s reincarnated.

This railway hasn't published timetables for later in the year: harder to plan a visit.

I assume there will only be occasional timetabled trips along the Mountsorrel short branchline?
The last Saturday of every Month. Timetable attached.

Attachments

• Table_ABr_Table_ABr-tt-39720-20230314204243-4945.pdf
    242 KB · Views: 41

railfan99

Established Member
The last Saturday of every Month. Timetable attached.

Terrific, but unfortunately in September I start my Eurail on the 8th and probably am on Eurostar by the 28th.

You have to timetable what you believe will be successful in revenue and patronage, but it's unfortunate the branch can't be served at least weekly, or indeed every weekend Sat and Sun. Presumably the Board or CEO believes it'd cost more than the fares it'd generate, especially with all the negativity about Western economies worldwide (not just, I stress, the UK).

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan
I think there may be a restriction on the number of times the branch can be open (But that might now be lifted??). However the railway have been very pleased with how well the branch line running has been over the past few weekends. We were told, on Saturday, that it had generated £20,000 for the railway. So they may well be revisiting how to use the branch in the future. I'm sure the GCR website will be updated if changes are happening.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Terrific, but unfortunately in September I start my Eurail on the 8th and probably am on Eurostar by the 28th.

You have to timetable what you believe will be successful in revenue and patronage, but it's unfortunate the branch can't be served at least weekly, or indeed every weekend Sat and Sun. Presumably the Board or CEO believes it'd cost more than the fares it'd generate, especially with all the negativity about Western economies worldwide (not just, I stress, the UK).
If it loads well on a Saturday it can be extended. We increased the service to a 2 train service for the 4 weeks a single train was due to operate as it was successful. But that was just the only service operating, now there's competition from the more interesting steam locos and the main line service.

There's absolutely no reason it can't run more regularly if its well patronised and covers it's costs.

railfan99

Established Member
If it loads well on a Saturday it can be extended. We increased the service to a 2 train service for the 4 weeks a single train was due to operate as it was successful. But that was just the only service operating, now there's competition from the more interesting steam locos and the main line service.

There's absolutely no reason it can't run more regularly if its well patronised and covers it's costs.

That's terrific. Attending the Steam Gala six months ago, the GCR came across as a well run railway, even producing a timetable for the four days in a colour booklet.

Swimbar

Has anybody considered the idea of running a Great Western Autotrain down the Mountsorrel Branch on a Gala or Loaned?
I think it could Draw in some crowds just for it being an Autotrain and Steam on the Mountsorrel Branch, A 14xx would work nicely but none of them are in steam currently but I swear there are one or two panniers with autogear equipment on it that could work.
I know this sounds like a pipedream but wouldn't it be cool!!!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Has anybody considered the idea of running a Great Western Autotrain down the Mountsorrel Branch on a Gala or Loaned?
I think it could Draw in some crowds just for it being an Autotrain and Steam on the Mountsorrel Branch, A 14xx would work nicely but none of them are in steam currently but I swear there are one or two panniers with autogear equipment on it that could work.
I know this sounds like a pipedream but wouldn't it be cool!!!
Yes, absolutely, there are people who wish to see it happen who are in a position to make it happen and we just so happened to be discussing an autotrain in passing the other week whilst working the branch service. See also a GWR Railcar, and the NER Autocar. Some are more likely than others however. Oh, and for christ sake don't take that to mean its happening. :)

Trainfan344

Established Member
The first passenger service ran over the bridges at Quorn last night with the TSRs still in place.

Today is the first full day of running between Loughborough and Leicester since the renewal work.