• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia makes further changes to its weekday timetable (from 10th January 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm hearing of some very heavy but not unexpected loadings this morning. Tuesday-Thursdays will be the interesting days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So who knows, did it run this morning, anyone know if it’s now in the plan?

Yes it ran, under control arrangements.

As it happens, it was the only GA train arriving at Liverpool St in the morning peak today that was late. everything else was on time or early.

dk1

Veteran Member

As it happens, it was the only GA train arriving at Liverpool St in the morning peak today that was late. everything else was on time or early.
Had some fantastic runs lately up road in the morning peak. Up to 6 early departing Stratford & even earlier into Liverpool St. So unusual to have the platform there available.

Established Member

Or in the case of The Hook Continental, cancelled. 07.15 Parkeston to Liverpool St (08.45) seems to have failed before setting sail.

andystock22

Twitter is full of complaints about overcrowding on GA services during the peaks, especially on the Southend Victoria line.

I would expect the overcrowding to get worse Tuesday to Thursday.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Twitter is full of complaints about overcrowding on GA services during the peaks, especially on the Southend Victoria line.

I would expect the overcrowding to get worse Tuesday to Thursday.
SE restoring full service from next week no halfway house so GA need to at least get on with reinstating services where there is visible overcrowding.

dk1

Veteran Member
I wonder why so many keep asking exactly the same question? Why not just read the replies to other tweets?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Or in the case of The Hook Continental, cancelled. 07.15 Parkeston to Liverpool St (08.45) seems to have failed before setting sail.

yes, I was careful with my words ;)

SE restoring full service from next week

a full Dec ‘21 timetable, which is someway short of their Pre Covid Level. But about right for the passenger levels.

Whereas GA were running full Pre covid services, bar the Stansted express and a couple of changes on the GE, which was far too much for the passenger levels. one hopes GA will find a happy medium, at about the Southeastern level of provision.

Established Member
Yes a happy medium would have been a Saturday service with peak / school additionals as appropriate. Off peak is the same so most freight paths would still work.

Traincrew, especially drivers, is not so much a problem as the DfT seem to think as GA sensibly recruited for all the training they needed for the new stock. Now that training is virtually done it appears they can usually cope with covid related sickness.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes a happy medium would have been a Saturday service with peak / school additionals as appropriate. Off peak is the same so most freight paths would still work.

One wonders why it has taken is taking so long for that penny to drop. It’s been pretty clear that would be the answer for a long time.

Traincrew, especially drivers, is not so much a problem as the DfT seem to think as GA sensibly recruited for all the training they needed for the new stock. Now that training is virtually done it appears they can usually cope with covid related sickness.

DfT will be well aware of the crew situation at GA. Again that’s been pretty clear for a while.

Established Member
That’s the frustrating part. We seem to be going round three sides of a square to get to where perhaps we need to be.

Meanwhile the planners and roster staff are caught in the crossfire tearing their hair out. Traincrew are subject to short notice modifications which while legal, are pushing the boundaries of the diagramming and rostering agreements.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That’s the frustrating part. We seem to be going round three sides of a square to get to where perhaps we need to be.

Meanwhile the planners and roster staff are caught in the crossfire tearing their hair out. Traincrew are subject to short notice modifications which while legal, are pushing the boundaries of the diagramming and rostering agreements.

Agreed on all counts. Some TOCs have reached the right answer relatively quickly. Some haven’t. Can’t figure out why.

Bikeman78

Established Member

The current timetable seems to be the worst of all worlds. Peak time trains towards Cheshunt and Broxbourne depart two minutes apart, then nothing for 28 minutes. As you say, a Saturday timetable seems like a sensible way forward.

At the moment they have way too much stock. Around 45 class 317/379 for 16 or 18 diagrams. I'm surprised that one or the other wasn't binned on January 10th. They don't need both any more. I wonder if they'll bother going back to King's Lynn.

mtmikethom

RTT is showing the WTT in operation on the Clacton line from next week.
It probably hasn’t been updated yet, the mainline shows WTT as well, judging by the very few people I saw were on the 1830 London to Norwich at Ipswich last night I very much doubt it’s back to normal, most likely last summers timetable, probably updated late tomorrow I would think

Just seen the 12 car 1802 Liverpool St - Ipswich depart Stratford, just about every seat taken and probably 200 plus standing, plenty of none mask wearers so defiantly not a train to be on tomorrow.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
It is going to be interesting next week as I guess greateranglia are trying to juggle the allocation of available units. There still don't seem to be enough class 720s in service yet to resume a full timetable. The class 379's are virtually off lease. So that leaves the ageing class 317 and 321s but availability of those will depend on maintenance as that is probably being run down prior to withdrawal.

mtmikethom

RTT is now showing the timetable for next week as the same as now, at least on the eastern side, which the national rail journey seems to indicate, but the GA website app journey planner shows a lot more services!

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I see 1P15 (SX) 07:26 Norwich-Liverpool St is actually running for the very first time. It’s been planned to run since 2020 but never has. It is however at the expense of the Ni90 departure at 08:00 for now. In fact none of the 4 planned Ni90 services are running. The closest is The East Anglian 17:00 down which gets to Ipswich non-stop in 56 minutes but waits until 18:00 to depart (in the path of the 18:00 Ips-Nrw shuttle) then stops additionally at Stowmarket & Diss.

Overall it’s a much better Intercity timetable with a half hourly service from early morning until early evening.

Class 170101

Established Member
I see 1P15 (SX) 07:26 Norwich-Liverpool St is actually running for the very first time. It’s been planned to run since 2020 but never has. It is however at the expense of the Ni90 departure at 08:00 for now. In fact none of the 4 planned Ni90 services are running. The closest is The East Anglian 17:00 down which gets to Ipswich non-stop in 56 minutes but waits until 18:00 to depart (in the path of the 18:00 Ips-Nrw shuttle) then stops additionally at Stowmarket & Diss.

Overall it’s a much better Intercity timetable with a half hourly service from early morning until early evening.
Good riddance Norwich in 90. 17:00 Down calling at Stowmarket and Diss will be to cover for cancellation of 1P74 Ipswich to Norwich shuttle.

dk1

Veteran Member
Good riddance Norwich in 90. 17:00 Down calling at Stowmarket and Diss will be to cover for cancellation of 1P74 Ipswich to Norwich shuttle.
Hopefully just for a few months but a massive improvement on this last few weeks. Some hideous crowding this morning.

Class 170101

Established Member
Hopefully just for a few months but a massive improvement on this last few weeks. Some hideous crowding this morning.

Maybe but hopefully the last train to return after other places have their services returned first.

Alfie1014

I know it’s been a nightmare constantly rewriting the plan but the obsession with faster trains to Norwich results in some perversities and failure to serve the core ‘commuting’ market. There are no IC calling at Manningtree between the 16:00 and 17:30 with the 16:02 and 17:02 stoppers being the only trains from London between these times and means the 18:00 Mann to Harwich Tn connects out nothing much really. Also Colchester only has 3 trains departing London between 17:00 and 18:00 (if we count the 17:58 as the 18:00 in disguise) which is one less than at the moment with the amended Sunday service!

mtmikethom

I know it’s been a nightmare constantly rewriting the plan but the obsession with faster trains to Norwich results in some perversities and failure to serve the core ‘commuting’ market. There are no IC calling at Manningtree between the 16:00 and 17:30 with the 16:02 and 17:02 stoppers being the only trains from London between these times and means the 18:00 Mann to Harwich Tn connects out nothing much really. Also Colchester only has 3 trains departing London between 17:00 and 18:00 (if we count the 17:58 as the 18:00 in disguise) which is one less than at the moment with the amended Sunday service!
Seems odd they don’t put a Colchester stop in the 1730 ex London, timings look as if they can, are they expecting it and the 1700 be very heavily used?
Also notice the 1730 ex Norwich seems to be only as far as Colchester with no return passenger working. RTT will no doubt tell more on a day or two.

dk1

Veteran Member
That does seem rather poor. I expected it to go more to a Saturday service rather than this wholly inappropriate Sunday schedule. Colchester has traditionally been omitted weekdays at this time due to the overcrowding it would inflict on the Intercity services.

Last edited:

andystock22

Two trains an hour at weekday peak times on the Southend Victoria line is simply not enough capacity for the number of commuters on that line. The overcrowding situation is made worse by Southminster trains only operating to Wickford (apart from the 06:05 to Liverpool Street). I've heard reports of commuters being not able to board trains at Billericay.

Even operating 3 trains an hour from next Monday, I suspect you will still get overcrowding on Tuesday to Thursday.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Even operating 3 trains an hour from next Monday, I suspect you will still get overcrowding on Tuesday to Thursday.

if the trains are 10 car 720s from next week, it would be astonishing If they are overcrowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.