• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Electrostar refurbishments: 377s and 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

physics34

Established Member
Be nice if they could chuck some new moquette on the GN 387 seats while they're at it - some are already looking very threadbare.....

A big bear of mine the green astroturf seat covers are dreadful, uncomfortable and look tatty quickly.

GTR constantly miss the boat on this issue

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
I would imagine the Southern seats in GN 387s are because they were ordered by Southern so they could be used on Thameslink until the 700s arrived then being transferred elsewhere.

387star

On Moderation
I would imagine the Southern seats in GN 387s are because they were ordered by Southern so they could be used on Thameslink until the 700s arrived then being transferred elsewhere.
They were destined for GWR at one point but yes presumably the interior was ready to go. C2C units also have southern interiors. They have a unique pattern on the first class seats although first was subsequently moved

Established Member
And make them a bit less Southern — "This is a, service to London Kings Cross" currently plays because it doesn't know how to say Great Northern, and the green livery seems like an afterthought.

The PIS on them seems to have all sorts of issues. A few units announce Cambridge North as 'Cambridge North Gatwick Express', others will play the same announcement twice in a row for no reason, and then some will play a random chime at the end of each announcement!

hwl

Established Member
The one that takes over next September.
As new franchises are dead as confirmed by DfT this morning, I repeat "what new franchise"? It wont be a franchise
As DfT already had revenue risk on GTR (due to the thameslink programme) it is one of their least pressing issues. Even 4-5 months ago DfT had effectively confirmed that they would want GTR to take up the extension to the current term.

KC1

some will play a random chime at the end of each announcement!

I don’t think that’s a fault, I’ve heard it on all southern 377 variants south side and even on the 455s, it sounds more like a airline cabin when the seatbelt lights come on or go off.

SNDave

I don’t think that’s a fault, I’ve heard it on all southern 377 variants south side and even on the 455s, it sounds more like a airline cabin when the seatbelt lights come on or go off.
That chime indicates a new scrolling message on the PIS screens (no audio, visual only) sent by control. Normally service related messages: covid stuff, upcoming engineering works, etc...

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
That chime indicates a new scrolling message on the PIS screens (no audio, visual only) sent by control. Normally service related messages: covid stuff, upcoming engineering works, etc...

Now that's a useful piece of information! Though I already know it's the late-running LNER service at Stevenage...

Recessio

...377/1, 377/2 and 377/3 (107 units) don't have any sockets.

Not that I'd advocate breaking the rules (and also I'm too wary of voltage spikes), but the cleaner's socket in each doorway is often used by people charging their phones in a pinch! So having them installed properly throughout for seats will be a good change.

The oldest 377s are nearing two decades in service, but almost seem a bit newer in their design, so it's good that this refurbishment will help bring them up to par with newer units like 700s.

aleggatta

Not that I'd advocate breaking the rules (and also I'm too wary of voltage spikes), but the cleaner's socket in each doorway is often used by people charging their phones in a pinch!

As someone 'in the know' I can tell you there is no difference in the protections provided by the cleaners socket, and the regular 13A sockets provided (the only physical difference is the RCD covering all 'customer' sockets is In the body end cupboard, whereas the cleaners sockets have them inbuilt)

387star

On Moderation
Not that I'd advocate breaking the rules (and also I'm too wary of voltage spikes), but the cleaner's socket in each doorway is often used by people charging their phones in a pinch! So having them installed properly throughout for seats will be a good change.

The oldest 377s are nearing two decades in service, but almost seem a bit newer in their design, so it's good that this refurbishment will help bring them up to par with newer units like 700s.

You're joking surely

700s don't even have plug sockets let alone armrests or often any tables in standard
Some don't even have WiFi

Mikey C

Established Member
You're joking surely

700s don't even have plug sockets let alone armrests or often any tables in standard
Yes, crazy that Networkers can have wifi whereas the 8 car 700s don't. Is there any plan to upgrade them?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The oldest 377s are nearing two decades in service, but almost seem a bit newer in their design, so it's good that this refurbishment will help bring them up to par with newer units like 700s

With the possible exception of Pacers, I don't think it is possible to bring a train up to par with 700s.

whoosh

Established Member
You're joking surely

I've got a feeling Recessio travels in the declassified rear first class on 700s, and has forgotten the rest of the train is lacking in seat comfort and charging plugs. It's an easy mistake to make!

RichardKing

Do we think that, along with the various interior upgrades, the 377s will receive new branding? I'm thinking something along the lines of 377111, minus the NHS stuff.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I've got a feeling Recessio travels in the declassified rear first class on 700s, and has forgotten the rest of the train is lacking in seat comfort and charging plugs. It's an easy mistake to make!
I’ve been in the 1st class of a 700, wasn’t impressed! A clean 350 in standard or even 1st is much better!
I’ve been on std and 1st in a 377 on the WCML and think they are on par with a 350 in terms of overall comfort.

A pity the 377 /5s and /6s have ironing boards like the 387s do. Why did these get ironing boards as I have never found out why.

If the newest 377s and the 387s had the proper normal 377 seats they would be considerably more comfy.

Do we think that, along with the various interior upgrades, the 377s will receive new branding? I'm thinking something along the lines of 377111, minus the NHS stuff.
I hope they get the new logo. I think the southern livery still looks fairly modern which is a surprise considering it’s age. The southern livery is much better than say white thameslink!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’ve been in the 1st class of a 700, wasn’t impressed! A clean 350 in standard or even 1st is much better!
I’ve been on std and 1st in a 377 on the WCML and think they are on par with a 350 in terms of overall comfort.

In my opinion, first in a 700 is better than any other commuter operator first class, save for the 379s Certainly better than anything WMT do.

bramling

Veteran Member
In my opinion, first in a 700 is better than any other commuter operator first class, save for the 379s Certainly better than anything WMT do.

Definitely not better than a 365.

Actually first on the 700s IMO isn’t bad at all. The whole train should have been like that, perhaps with half tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.