• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

rjhds118

Hi,
I have a dilemma.
I've done GTR-1, waiting for results.
I have also been invited for an assessment day with another TOC for a future trainee part time driver on 2 March. I cant miss the opportunity but I would love to do an assessment centre with GTR for a full time position.
If I fail the tests with this toc in March does that mean I will not be able to do the assessments for GTR if I make it through? (Within 6 months).
I don't want to miss an opportunity but also don't want to jeopardise my chance with GTR.
Also if you fail one of the tests, does that mean you only have one more shot at doing that particular test again or do you have to retake all of them again?
Any help and thoughts would be appreciated. Thank y

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gs1

Thanks for the replys.

I didnt know the mmi formed part of the assessments hence counts towards your 2 strikes and no re apply within 6 months. I thought mmi was conducted by the toc for the successful candidates who had passed the tests.
Bit worried now. What's the best way to prepare. Is there a list of subjects from which the opc will pick out and request examples for?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

LCC106

Established Member
There’s loads of information on the MMI if you use the search function. Look into the STAR technique to answer questions too. Good luck!

PickleTree

Thanks for the replys.

I didnt know the mmi formed part of the assessments hence counts towards your 2 strikes and no re apply within 6 months. I thought mmi was conducted by the toc for the successful candidates who had passed the tests.
Bit worried now. What's the best way to prepare. Is there a list of subjects from which the opc will pick out and request examples for?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
For me the MMI was the toughest part of the process. I have been used to competency style interviews but the MMI was very much focused on how you dealt with things psychologically etc. A lot of how did that make you feel type questions. As others have said focus on the STAR method to help you answer, you will be slightly prepared as you are asked to provide examples to the questions you are going to be asked beforehand.

Had an email today. Not sure why I have to wait 6 months?

Thank you for your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver - Great Northern

After reviewing your application, I am afraid that on this occasion we will not be moving forward with your application for this specific role.

We are unable to give individual feedback at this stage however I’d like to thank you for taking the time to complete your application.

If you would like to re-apply for this role, or any other vacancy with us, we would be happy to receive another application from you. Please note you would need to wait for a minimum period of six months to apply for this role or a similar role.

Thank you, again, for your interest in working for our company and we encourage you to continue your journey with us online.

Best wishes for a successful job search,

Class2ldn

Its standard practice, if you're unsuccessful then you normally have to wait 6 months, I've just had the same with another toc and that was for a qualified drivers position

LCC106

Established Member
Yep. The gap allows you to gain extra experience and saves them from re-sifting you. If you were not suitable this time around and another job was advertised next week, you would probably be no more suitable then either. That’s my guess anyway.

micker001

I got the same email. Unsuccessful. I have 1 more application left but I'm not to hopeful. I think its because of travel. I am happy to relocate but its not looking like an option. I shouldn't have applied because I'm waiting 6 months now for a position that I never had a chance for.

It seems as though great northern are getting there with responding to applications. It's the first time I've seen people posting a response they've got from them. Unlucky to those that have the unsuccessful email but there is always another chance! Chin up and carry on.

I'm still waiting for my response, fingers crossed for everyone else.

Melmatrixx2

Hello all
I was wondering for the Tea-occ part 3 should I be looking out for just the Matching symbol and ignore the area code and phone numbers? I’m not clear on what exactly I have to do

thanks

Gs1

Hello all
I was wondering for the Tea-occ part 3 should I be looking out for just the Matching symbol and ignore the area code and phone numbers? I’m not clear on what exactly I have to do

thanks
Hello all

thanks
Depends, what do the instructions say? Are you using a software to practice it? I'm sure there will be instructions of what you have to do.
I have seen a youtube video by how2become where you have to find the correct symbol and area code whilst counting the tones. However, I'm not sure what the real test is. Have you been invited to assesment? If so there should be instructions in your learning pack.

Hi,
Got e mail today to do mini scaat? Anyone else done it or preparing to do it?
What does it involve, is there time limits etc. A heads up would be nice.
Thanks in advance.

Melmatrixx2

I have seen a youtube video by how2become where you have to find the correct symbol and area code whilst counting the tones. However, I'm not sure what the real test is. Have you been invited to assesment? If so there should be instructions in your learning pack.

Hi,
Got e mail today to do mini scaat? Anyone else done it or preparing to do it?
What does it involve, is there time limits etc. A heads up would be nice.
Thanks in advance.
Yeah I have seen the video as well I guess that’s why I’m confused lol ..because I read somewhere on this forum to disregard everything else and mark the matching symbols.. guess Il have to wait and see lol

Yeah have an assessment next month ..
I used the OPC material to practice .. was definitely worth it in my opinion pretty much the same logic as the real test .

asdfwho

Received my invite to do the Mini Scaat Online Test this morning. Relieved, as the more I thought about my SJT answers the more I was convincing myself it would be a fail!

Quin79

Had an email following GTR-1.....unsuccessful. Maybe took it as a formality seeing as got to DMI Jan 2020. Maybe not for me. Good luck to everyone still in the process.

KingKiev123

Just completed the Mini Scaat test for Southern and received a no from Great Northern on Tuesday. Still haven't heard back from Thameslink .

Gs1

Just completed the Mini Scaat test for Southern and received a no from Great Northern on Tuesday. Still haven't heard back from Thameslink .
I have to take mini scaat, what does the test consist of, did you practice for it? Thanks for the advice.

KingKiev123

I have to take mini scaat, what does the test consist of, did you practice for it? Thanks for the advice.
It was 3 tests which consisted of looking for all instance and highlighting specific letters in a row of letters. Pretty much like the one on this link http://www.theopc.co.uk/practicetes...e88d317f-809b-40b1-b5e6-e95febd399a4.pdf&id=3.

1st test was looking all instances for just one particular letter in a row
2nd test was looking for all instances of one particular upper case letter and one particular lower case letter
3rd test was looking for all instances of one particular letter and the also the letter at the beginning of that specific row.

It was time with having maybe 3 or 4 minutes for each test.
As for practice I took a quick look that the pdf that I've linked but you also get a couple of practice goes on the test itself.
Good luck

Gs1

Do you have to click on the letters when you see them or have to write your answer of how many times you saw each letter?
Thanks