• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

mresh91

I got invited to the September assessment centre . For Southern . They had quite a few slots to choose from. I applied 03/21.
This was for the Southern shunter to mainline progression wasn't it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cara

I got invited to the September assessment centre . For Southern . They had quite a few slots to choose from. I applied 03/21.
Same for me! Given my own strengths and weaknesses I am a bit nervous about a couple of specific tests they have described but practice will hopefully make perfect.

Can I say a huge thank you to all that have been contributing to this thread, your advice and experience have been invaluable to me and it is nice to see such a supportive network between applicants.

REO Nate

Same for me! Given my own strengths and weaknesses I am a bit nervous about a couple of specific tests they have described but practice will hopefully make perfect.

Can I say a huge thank you to all that have been contributing to this thread, your advice and experience have been invaluable to me and it is nice to see such a supportive network between applicants.
If you are at all concerned, have you purchased the relevant training package?

Cara

If you are at all concerned, have you purchased the relevant training package?
Hi Nate, thank you for replying. Thankfully the ones of concern can be practised fairly easily, but I have looked into getting the relevant packages. Will purchase them if the practising does not seem to yield better results! My assessment date is not until the end of Sept so have a full month to practice. Fingers crossed!

REO Nate

That’s a good amount of time to prepare and I sincerely hope you do well.

I was concerned when I did the tests (with another TOC), especially with the VSE, which GTR don’t do. I found the training software gave me the confidence boost I needed and really helped me to feel prepared.

The very best of luck to you.

Joshy

This was for the Southern shunter to mainline progression wasn't it?
No it was the GTR Trainee Train driver vacancies. They just finally confirmed that I'll be doing the assessment centre for Southern. I was hoping for Thameslink.

Does anyone have the Aslef company overview with the salaries? I cant seem to access it anymore

Traffic71

Yep, me too :(.
Does anyone know how many people attend an assessment centre at a time? I thought with restrictions eased, I might be in with a chance now as they could increase the amount attending, but not this time. Also, if they randomly select someone and that person can’t attend, do they allocate that place to someone else? Probably no one can answer my questions but just wondering…
Hi mate. I’ve been getting those same emails for the past 6 months or so. I have no idea how people are picked for the next assessment date. I have heard that it’s all down to how well you have performed on the online tests. If that’s the case I’ve obviously done poorly or everyone else has done really well!!
I have a friend who is a driver on Southern. He told me they are slowly getting through everyone but they are selecting certain applicants over others, if you get my drift?!
it’s also frustrating when I hear of people who applied way after me have already had interviews etc but then again there are others who have been in the pool for years who still haven’t been given a role.

polaris324

He told me they are slowly getting through everyone but they are selecting certain applicants over others, if you get my drift?!
As the original job advert specifically said they would particularly welcome applications from certain demographics, I wonder if some applications were prioritized for "random selection" for assessment dates over others???
Anyone who gets selected for assessment has still got to pass to the same standard but it is frustrating when those applying far later have had assessments and interviews.

Traffic71

As the original job advert specifically said they would particularly welcome applications from certain demographics, I wonder if some applications were prioritized for "random selection" for assessment dates over others???
Anyone who gets selected for assessment has still got to pass to the same standard but it is frustrating when those applying far later have had assessments and interviews.
I imagine quite a few have been prioritised but you are quite right - Everyone still has to pass the same tests and get through the interviews. Just wish it was me!

Driver_wife

I applied at the same time as 3 of my friends - 2 men 2 women (including me) I got the assessment day pretty much straight away(March) one of the men got an assessment day for next month and the other woman and man still haven’t had an assessment day yet. I think it’s as random as they have suggested. Plus I have passed all relevant stages now and I am waiting in the pool - and I have been told each month I’ve not been chosen for each course running up to November and could still have some wait. Female and BAME were encouraged to apply, but they’re not prioritised once past application I doubt..

lawtoni

I've just been offered and received contract for an 11/10 start with GN
Extremely lucky. Hang in there everyone in the process and best of luck to all

safetrain

First of all congratulations and best of luck with your course.
Secondly how long have you been waiting if you don’t mind me asking. Just so I can have a rough idea of what I need to expect

I applied at the same time as 3 of my friends - 2 men 2 women (including me) I got the assessment day pretty much straight away(March) one of the men got an assessment day for next month and the other woman and man still haven’t had an assessment day yet. I think it’s as random as they have suggested. Plus I have passed all relevant stages now and I am waiting in the pool - and I have been told each month I’ve not been chosen for each course running up to November and could still have some wait. Female and BAME were encouraged to apply, but they’re not prioritised once past application I doubt..
I’ve passed every stage by March, for thameslink. I haven’t been receiving updates for More than a month. So I had to contact contact them are you still getting monthly updates about courses?

lawtoni

Secondly how long have you been waiting if you don’t mind me asking. Just so I can have a rough idea of what I need to expect

I’ve passed every stage by March, for thameslink. I haven’t been receiving updates for More than a month. So I had to contact contact them are you still getting monthly updates about courses?
Thank you mate
This was a dec 2020 application with a fairly steady flow through the assessment and interview process. And a lot of luck

Driver_wife

Congratulations

Yes I had one this month- but I am waiting for southern. They told me the next November course is full and they will update me next month about possible December courses..

GN Boy

Congratulations! I assume you’ve been offered a place at Hornsey depot? You’ll love your time here at GN.

jayrod

Hi everyone,

I've been offered a interview (DMI) but not able to make the dates they offered me. I have emailed them stating the reason, but have had no reply.

They sent me a reminder today asking me again to choose a date they offered me, so I just selected the can't makes these dates option.

Will this go against me in anyway or I'm I just being paranoid?

Last edited:

REO Nate

Hi everyone,

I've been offered a interview (DMI) but not able to make the dates they offered me. I have emailed them stating the reason, but have had no reply.

They sent me a reminder today asking me again to choose a date they offered me, so I just selected the can't makes these dates option.

Will this go against me in anyway or I'm I just being paranoid?
No it won’t. I had to reorganise an assessment centre at the last minute after a care issue popped up and they were really understanding.

Natalia.Mat

Assessment day for me for TL on 31/08 in East Croydon.
Hi, hope your assessment went well. can you share with us how it went. was the group bourdon test pen and paper or was it computer based? what other tests did you have to sit, can you please give me an idea of what to expect on the day. thank you

safetrain

Hi, hope your assessment went well. can you share with us how it went. was the group bourdon test pen and paper or was it computer based? what other tests did you have to sit, can you please give me an idea of what to expect on the day. thank you
once you get to that stage, an email will be sent out to you with everything thats coming. they will explain it all.

Luckyflames

Hope everyone is well and staying positive. Could I ask what everyone’s length of time was between DMI & MMI ?

Shin G

Hi all.

Very lucky to have been offered a start date for Welwyn Garden City depot on the 11th of October.

Hope you all get through the assessments without any issues. I'm so happy!

G

lawtoni

Hi all.

Very lucky to have been offered a start date for Welwyn Garden City depot on the 11th of October.

Hope you all get through the assessments without any issues. I'm so happy!

G
Many congratulations!
I'm on that course too so I look forward to meeting you