• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GW 769s to Scotrail?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why would they fit them with Fainsa seating then? That’s not the way Northern have done their current 769s. The base colour for Northern is also white, not blue. And silver doors are part of the ScotRail livery.
I haven't seen the photos, and I'm only repeating information I was given.

I can't speak directly as to its veracity in any part.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wickham

It was stated a long time ago that Scotrail wanted bi-mode unitsas for the Levenmouth line but of course didn't have any. Is this the answer ?

Well it makes sense if nobody else wants them it would be a terrific waste of money otherwise, I know there's a lot of that going round atm but still, hopefully Scotrail got up on the cheap

Dan G

Spotted a freshly painted class 769 poking out of the paint shop at Brodie Engineering this lunchtime.

It's in ScotRail blue with the silver doors, no spots applied yet and full new interior, including the standard ironing board seats.

Unfortunately unable to get any pictures due to driving a train.
I'm curious how you could tell what kind of seats were newly fitted whilst driving a train.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm curious how you could tell what kind of seats were newly fitted whilst driving a train.
If it's in the location I suspect it's in, it's very close to the running line and signal stops adjacent to the place are fairly common, so he'd likely have plenty of opportunity?

hux385

So if they've been fitted with new seating is that 3+2 or 2+2? I doubt they would be used on the Leven line yet since the electrification to Dalmeny hasn't happened yet. Kilmarnock and Maryhill routes would make some sense however.

Tony2

The question of the use of class 769s by ScotRail was raised in a freedom of information request as recently as 17/01/24. ScoRail’s answer was they have no plans to use the class 769s in service!!!

snowball

Established Member
It was stated a long time ago that Scotrail wanted bi-mode unitsas for the Levenmouth line but of course didn't have any. Is this the answer ?
Currently no wires except Waverley - Haymarket - Murrayfield Stadium, about two miles!

skyhigh

Established Member
at the time of the question being asked! A week is a long time in politics. Nothing would surprise me.
If the unit is currently in ScotRail livery and has been re-seated I would be very surprised if they've come up with a plan, painted and altered a unit in under a week.

Darandio

Established Member
My money is still on an Orion unit. Plain blue with no vinyls, ex-GWR silver doors also unvinyled as yet. Seats don't make sense but nor does the ScotRail theory!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Glasgow to Kilmarnock could work, indeed as could extensions towards Carlisle maybe providing a self-contained fleet for both the full length runs to Glasgow and the pretty much hourly shuttle that runs between Dumfries and Carlisle

Quick weekend closure and they could throw up some basic electrification as far as the end of the platform at gretna to get around the issue of changing on the move

Peter0124

Established Member
Glasgow to Kilmarnock could work, indeed as could extensions towards Carlisle maybe providing a self-contained fleet for both the full length runs to Glasgow and the pretty much hourly shuttle that runs between Dumfries and Carlisle

Quick weekend closure and they could throw up some basic electrification as far as the end of the platform at gretna to get around the issue of changing on the move
I can't imagine a 769 being suitable on the entire length of GSW though. Its over 2 hours! I think 156 stock works quite well. As would 158s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I can't imagine a 769 being suitable on the entire length of GSW though. Its over 2 hours! I think 156 stock works quite well. As would 158s.
The 156 stock has the same seats that the OP reported these had been fitted with though. Mind you, neither a 156 or a 769 is particularly nice for long distances, and I think a 158 would be better, but they're not currently cleared.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Agreed, keep them as a seperate fleet without any interworking with services for Carlisle. Glasgow to Kilmarnock running under the wires to Barrhead then switching to diesel to run to Kilmarnock with the 156s running the services which continue towards Carlisle or would end up heading to Ayr if the station was open.

Quite easily. Brodie Engineering Caledonia Works is right next to the running line as you drive in and out of platforms 1 and 2 at Kilmarnock at a leisurely pace of 15mph, so ample time to observe any units sitting in the works yard.

Nice new seats still with the plastic protective covers clearly able to be seen. Definitely ScotRail blue and ScotRail silver on the doors.

Dan G

So just to be clear; while driving a train, you could see into another train parked in a works yard, look through plastic covering, and tell what kind of seats had been newly fitted?

That's truly impressive.

It is confusing that ScotRail had said that there would be no plans to introduce Class 769s while Brodies painted a 769 in ScotRail base livery - but there can only be one decision.

You never know, may be they removed the TSO trailers (like it did when they did the Class 320/4 conversions), removed the diesel engines and become Class 318/9s.

I did predict ScotRail 769 earlier this year in the “2024 Predictions” thread.

Iskra

Established Member
It is confusing that ScotRail had said that there would be no plans to introduce Class 769s while Brodies painted a 769 in ScotRail base livery - but there can only be one decision.

You never know, may be they removed the TSO trailers (like it did when they did the Class 320/4 conversions), removed the diesel engines and become Class 318/9s.

I did predict ScotRail 769 earlier this year in the “2024 Predictions” thread.
As with all large organisations, it is possible that one part doesn't know what another part is up to!

skyhigh

Established Member
If they were going to do that they'd have taken the ex-Northern 319s, rather than convert a 769 back to electric and then remove a vehicle.

Too late, Northern Class 319s have been taken to the Newport National Railway Scrapyard and got thrown in a shredder.* Converting a Class 769 back in any form would have been unviable, so Class 769 it is.

*We all know that this facility is the dreaded Sims Metals facility where many BREL EMUs meet their fate.

So just to be clear; while driving a train, you could see into another train parked in a works yard, look through plastic covering, and tell what kind of seats had been newly fitted?

That's truly impressive.

Thanks!

But just to be clear, the shape of the seats are quite distinctive, even when covered in transparent plastic sheeting and leaving Kilmarnock platform 1 or 2, you have a good view into the yard.

The exile

Established Member

That's truly impressive.
I would hope that train drivers had better than average eyesight!