• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
769949 on

3O10 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:46716/2022-06-10/detailed#allox_id=0
3V11 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:46723/2022-06-10/detailed#allox_id=0

late in to RDH due to pts failure. Following 1Oxx to GTW was heaving so a 769 would be beneficial.

Was two drivers under instruction by freight driver by the looks of it.

1654857734456.png

an out back from RDG to RDH shown this afternoon as well

3O90 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:46732/2022-06-10/detailed
3V71 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:46740/2022-06-10/detailed

TurboMan

Any information about test runs on the Henley branch line?
Nothing yet. The plan is to get 769s on Gatwicks first, then Basingstoke, then the Thames branches, so a little way off yet.

I saw a class 769 today going through Oxford at around 12:50.
On the way to Long Marston for temporary storage.

thanks for clarity and good hear that GWR are moving forward might get them for Dec22 TT change yet.
It's still possible!

fgwrich

Established Member
Nothing yet. The plan is to get 769s on Gatwicks first, then Basingstoke, then the Thames branches, so a little way off yet.

On the way to Long Marston for temporary storage.

It's still possible!
I’m surprised in a way that Basingstoke isn’t first, purely as that could / would keep them to 1, if not 2, power modes all day saving any technical issues with the changeovers.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It's still possible!
Presumably critically dependent on how long the industrial action extends into the summer and autumn, the extent to which that prevents crew training, and more importantly whether the union accepts them.

I’m surprised in a way that Basingstoke isn’t first, purely as that could / would keep them to 1, if not 2, power modes all day saving any technical issues with the changeovers.
The implications for other traffic are greater if a failure causes disruption on the Reading to Basingstoke route than on the North Downs Line. Northbound between Shalford and Guildford is about the only place a failure would cause significant inconvenience to other operators. Clearly there are other places where the tracks are shared but by fairly inconsequential services in the grand scheme of things.

gabrielhj07

The plan is to get 769s on Gatwicks first, then Basingstoke, then the Thames branches
I'm not entirely up to speed with the 769s so forgive me if this has been covered already, but will the electric capabilities of these trains allow for through trains from the Thames branches into Reading/London. Obviously at the moment, it's less than desirable to run diesels under the wires.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm not entirely up to speed with the 769s so forgive me if this has been covered already, but will the electric capabilities of these trains allow for through trains from the Thames branches into Reading/London. Obviously at the moment, it's less than desirable to run diesels under the wires.
No.

There is no line capacity for through trains off the branches into Paddington.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Reading to Redhill and back to Oxford ran today.

Lets hope the industrial action doesn't frustrate progress too much

TurboMan

Does anyone know which units are currently stored and which ones are at Reading?
See this post. Those 6 are at either Oxford or Reading, with the rest either at or on the way to Long Marston.

Lets hope the industrial action doesn't frustrate progress too much
There are no 769 runs next week, due to the industrial action.

No.

There is no line capacity for through trains off the branches into Paddington.
Never say never. Projects at GWR have a habit of creeping beyond their original scope.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Never say never. Projects at GWR have a habit of creeping beyond their original scope.
While I can see what you are saying, with the Elizabeth Line service filling the relief line in a way never seen before and trains with better acceleration on the main line, there really isn't a sensible scenario in which through trains from Paddington to Bourne End or Henley would return, and certainly not with 769s.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Does anyone know which units are currently stored and which ones are at Reading?
769923 EH
769936 EH
769939 EH
769940 EH
769944 EH
769947 EH
769922 LM
769925 LM
769927 LM
769928 LM
769932 LM
769937 LM
769946 LM

769935 OX
769943 OX
769959 OX
769930 RG
769938 RG
769949 RG

EH: Arlington at Eastleigh
LM: Long Marston
OX: Oxford CS
RG: Reading TCD

TransportHub

769923 EH
769936 EH
769939 EH
769940 EH
769944 EH
769947 EH
769922 LM
769925 LM
769927 LM
769928 LM
769932 LM
769937 LM
769946 LM

769935 OX
769943 OX
769959 OX
769930 RG
769938 RG
769949 RG

EH: Arlington at Eastleigh
LM: Long Marston
OX: Oxford CS
RG: Reading TCD
Thanks
See this post. Those 6 are at either Oxford or Reading, with the rest either at or on the way to Long Marston.

There are no 769 runs next week, due to the industrial action.

thanks

DelW

Established Member
Today (16th June) marks exactly a year since I first photographed a 769 running on the North Downs line. I think that was the first occasion that one had worked through to Gatwick, if not then it was quite close to the first time.

I didn't imagine then that a full year later, not only would none of these units have carried a single passenger, but that we would still have no idea when (if ever) that might happen.

At least the 3-car Turbos will be getting retrimmed soon to finally remove the First Group blue and pink interiors. At the rate we're going, the new interiors will have worn out again before they leave the North Downs.

Minstral25

Established Member
Today (16th June) marks exactly a year since I first photographed a 769 running on the North Downs line. I think that was the first occasion that one had worked through to Gatwick, if not then it was quite close to the first time.

I didn't imagine then that a full year later, not only would none of these units have carried a single passenger, but that we would still have no idea when (if ever) that might happen.

At least the 3-car Turbos will be getting retrimmed soon to finally remove the First Group blue and pink interiors. At the rate we're going, the new interiors will have worn out again before they leave the North Downs.

I have a photo in the Cutting between Reigate and Redhill dated June 14th - I think that was second time they went to Gatwick, which in itself was much later than envisaged. Disappointing roll out I agree.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I have a photo in the Cutting between Reigate and Redhill dated June 14th - I think that was second time they went to Gatwick, which in itself was much later than envisaged. Disappointing roll out I agree.
they haven't been running down to Gatwick on the recent training runs

OscarDe

Looks like hope for the 769's! There is a new stop marker with a power changeover sign at Reigate so for me this means they will be running between Redhill
and Reading. Will attach a linked photograph.tempImageCFwzg9.png

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks like hope for the 769's! There is a new stop marker with a power changeover sign at Reigate so for me this means they will be running between Redhill
and Reading. Will attach a linked photograph.
I hate to disappoint you but those power changeover signs aren't new. Nothing appears to have changed about the expectation of them running between Redhill and Reading.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ah right.. Perhaps I never noticed them, I'm sure there were different ones a week ago. Might delete then haha feel a bit silly now.
No need to feel silly; whether it’s recent or not it’s still interesting to see the project in progress :)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I don't think progress could be frustrated much more than has already been the case! If they come, great, but I have long since given up hope.
Having had the opportunity for a quick peer through the windows they look reasonably ok internally. The trips last week all ran to time and it feels like FGW haven't given up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.