• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If compact devices and "simple" cabling were specified for these applications, then es, probably could be delivered, caveat-ed with caution about reliability and serviceability.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
You want giant chunky connectors with massive pins and massive metal plates.

Modern connectors are just too flimsy.

Even 4-pin XLR for example.

Crun

About 20 minutes ago I saw a Class 800 decorated with 'Azuma' written here and there and red swirls down the side heading south after passing through Peterborough Station. My first ever sighting of an 800.

Last edited:

Steve14

5X80 Old Dalby - Reading arriving prompt. Forming 5X81 to Stoke Gifford after a few mins.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 185

leomartin125

Do any of these IEP movements run on electric on the ECML/NLL?

The test runs use OLE, but the ECS movements, like this one, are run purely on diesel mode. The path they get from NR for ECS does not include time to change power supply and potentially suffer from issues doing this. It is done purely on diesel to maximise efficiency so it doesn't need to change power supply every time it reaches a section with no OLE.

Also the IEP's have not been route cleared on the NLL to use OLE, as they will never need to upon EIS and it's purely just for ECS moves. The section between Copenhagen Junction/Camden Road Jct and Willesden Junction/Acton Canal Jct is also far to short to worry about fiddling about with changing power supplies, even if the 378's already do that anyway.

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
The test runs use OLE, but the ECS movements, like this one, are run purely on diesel mode. The path they get from NR for ECS does not include time to change power supply and potentially suffer from issues doing this. It is done purely on diesel to maximise efficiency so it doesn't need to change power supply every time it reaches a section with no OLE.

Also the IEP's have not been route cleared on the NLL to use OLE, as they will never need to upon EIS and it's purely just for ECS moves. The section between Copenhagen Junction/Camden Road Jct and Willesden Junction/Acton Canal Jct is also far to short to worry about fiddling about with changing power supplies, even if the 378's already do that anyway.
So in the future the only changing of power supply on the move will be on GW?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the change over time be much longer going from electric mode to diesel mode then from diesel mode to electric mode?

leomartin125

So in the future the only changing of power supply on the move will be on GW?

No, they do not change power supply at all during ECS moves. They do during testing but this is all coordinated via the planned route to give it places to switch and time to do so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Will the change over time be much longer going from electric mode to diesel mode then from diesel mode to electric mode?

Who knows? That's impossible to know until it is seen done, probably find out when driver training starts from April next year.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

I know it's early days and it's only testing, but it would be nice to see the bi-mode thingy actually working in normal traffic (at speed, as in the spec).
DfT didn't just order a Voyager replacement.
How are they going to get mileage accumulation on electric and switching modes I wonder?

leomartin125

I know it's early days and it's only testing, but it would be nice to see the bi-mode thingy actually working in normal traffic (at speed, as in the spec).
DfT didn't just order a Voyager replacement.
How are they going to get mileage accumulation on electric and switching modes I wonder?

All the mileage accumulation and testing of the switchover between OLE and diesel has been included in the testing, and a large sum of the power type switching tetsing was completed at Old Dalby Test Track.

Tw99

I went down to see the return working from Stoke Gifford to North Pole at Pangbourne this afternoon. 2 x 5 car sets, leading one green, trailing one white (as far as I could tell in the pitch darkness!). Not particularly exciting video here. Running on diesel I think, but still pretty quiet.

https://youtu.be/FG6qC8bL7rk

leomartin125

I went down to see the return working from Stoke Gifford to North Pole at Pangbourne this afternoon. 2 x 5 car sets, leading one green, trailing one white (as far as I could tell in the pitch darkness!). Not particularly exciting video here. Running on diesel I think, but still pretty quiet.

https://youtu.be/FG6qC8bL7rk

Yup that means 800004 and 800003 have both made their move back to North Pole IEP depot today. Would make 800003's debut visit, and it's been quite a while since 800004 has been at North Pole too, back in the Summer it went to Stoke Gifford.

Mordac

Established Member
Maybe this is only obvious in hindsight, but things would have been much easier if the VTEC order had been scheduled to come first. HSTs could have gone to either Scotrail or to GWR, enabling their HSTs to go to ScotRail, and the Mk4s as well.

Mordac

Established Member
What would GWR want with non ATP-equipped HSTs and what would Scotrail want with Mk4s?

I just meant the Mk4 could go somewhere, since they're just coaches that can be hauled by any loco. Not necessarily Scotrail. And I forgot about ATP. My bad.

EDIT: Though they could use the HSTs for the same thing they're going to use the GTi HSTs now.

ExTankieAaron

we were only expecting just one 5 car T3. I'll ask what's up there in morning.
was supposed to get to us Thursday as I was going to be the first driver to bring a 80x onto depot. never mind lol

Established Member
we were only expecting just one 5 car T3. I'll ask what's up there in morning.
was supposed to get to us Thursday as I was going to be the first driver to bring a 80x onto depot. never mind lol

The picture I've seen does only show 1 x 5 car in the shed,.

D1009

Established Member
800101 has been doing the overnight test Stoke Gifford to Plymouth and back this week. I'm told they are simulating crush loaded conditions, with three times the normal number of weights in the coaches.

Tracked

Established Member
Saw one in Doncaster station this morning, guessing 003 but didn't catch the number, it went through platform 3 at 06:42 on diesel rather than OHL. Looks nice, didn't look like there was seating in the rear car yet though.

Established Member
Saw one in Doncaster station this morning, guessing 003 but didn't catch the number, it went through platform 3 at 06:42 on diesel rather than OHL. Looks nice, didn't look like there was seating in the rear car yet though.

It had done over night testing between Doncaster and Darlington.

Tracked

Established Member
It is 800003, so no need to guess as I confirmed. Look at the forum before you post.

Did, that's why I said I was guessing it was 003 after seeing your post where you'd said it was presumably the only one, as I didn't catch the number on it - which you'd have seen in my post :roll:

Incidentally, you've quoted the wrong person.

Status
Not open for further replies.