• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GwR HSTs to be stood down

RPI

Established Member
I knew I hadn't imagined it! Quite a few drivers aren't that happy about it either, especially ones who are enthusiasts, quite a few this week have put social media posts of them working their final HST and being sad about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or correct me, but it has more to do with ASLEF not being happy about there being no booked work from Monday.
That doesn't really make sense. There's no booked work for 150s or 153s in North Wales but they still go there almost daily. Another example, the last pair of 707s on SWR has no booked work and turns out randomly on any of the routes they used to work.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So let me get this right as its difficult to say from the posts above. Are we saying there are now no booked GWR HST diagrams from today?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
So let me get this right as its difficult to say from the posts above. Are we saying there are now no booked GWR HST diagrams from today?

There are no booked GWR HST diagrams on Sundays.

Mondays to Saturdays there are 3 diagrams running between Penzance and Plymouth with a daily extension of a single working to Exeter (M-F) and from Exeter (Sat).

The above workings are crewed by Penzance, Par and Plymouth traincrew. As per ASLEF requirements other HSS drivers (the old intercity grade) have had their HST competency removed from today, newer GWR drivers keep that competency for 6 months.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I knew I hadn't imagined it! Quite a few drivers aren't that happy about it either, especially ones who are enthusiasts, quite a few this week have put social media posts of them working their final HST and being sad about it.
Surely whether or not members of the unions like a particular train type or not due to enthusiasm should have no bearing whatsoever on anything??

Exeter guards have booked work in Cornwall too.
On 158s and IETs.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Seems odd that they’d be allocated to trains on captive Plymouth Penzance diagrams (bar one very late extension M-F), but okay.

It’s not actually that surprising as the daily extension to Exeter works back ECS to Laira so has no need for a guard.

Exeter guards also have quite a lot of work in Cornwall and of course sign mk3 loco hauled coaches (the only depot who does). There is much greater similarity between mk3 loco hauled coaches and Mk3 HST coaches than there are between cl43s and cl57s so there is more than enough work for guards to maintain competence.

The_Train

Established Member
We all know this short-sighted decision will ultimately impact passengers. Castle sets have been brought out on multiple occasions to rescue a diagram because of IET unavailability (see the final, final, final, final, final, final, final, final, final, final HST to Worcester as an example) but now ASLEF have had their way, there will be no choice but to cancel these diagrams when IET availability goes the same way

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
We all know this short-sighted decision will ultimately impact passengers. Castle sets have been brought out on multiple occasions to rescue a diagram because of IET unavailability (see the final, final, final, final, final, final, final, final, final, final HST to Worcester as an example) but now ASLEF have had their way, there will be no choice but to cancel these diagrams when IET availability goes the same way
If 802 availability is that poor, they can put Castles on IET diagrams south of Plymouth and have customers change at Plymouth for onward services to London and Cardiff if necessary. Not ideal but not a major issue if that’s only done ad hoc.

co-tr-paul

Booked from this weekend.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118_233125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_233125_Chrome.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_20231118_233117_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_233117_Chrome.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 171

Kernow_Celtic

Just like to point out (hard to believe though it is!) , the remaining 2+4 work is very thinly spread, with Plymouth for example having hardly any work on them (HSS and GwR). I think the idea that Exeter need to keep up competency isn't going to happen, because, if anything we may see drivers at Plymouth struggling to drive them every 6 months on the mainline. Having Exeter drivers doing traction refreshers and nicking Plymouth trains probably wouldn't go down well there! There simply isn't the work going forward, unless Dft back down and allow further sets to be retained and diagrammed.

MCR247

Established Member
You do wonder why someone proposed it, and ASLEF decided it would be a good idea, so got it agreed.

Perhaps it is intended to ensure the TOC fully thinks through these kind of changes and doesn’t rely on crew happening to have competency on trains they are no longer booked any work on?

Towers

Established Member
It’s not actually that surprising as the daily extension to Exeter works back ECS to Laira so has no need for a guard.

Exeter guards also have quite a lot of work in Cornwall and of course sign mk3 loco hauled coaches (the only depot who does). There is much greater similarity between mk3 loco hauled coaches and Mk3 HST coaches than there are between cl43s and cl57s so there is more than enough work for guards to maintain competence.
It would certainly be interesting if use of the Sleeper MK3s as a proxy means of maintaining Castle competence was to actually be suggested! They may be similar but they’re certainly not the same traction!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It would certainly be interesting if use of the Sleeper MK3s as a proxy means of maintaining Castle competence was to actually be suggested! They may be similar but they’re certainly not the same traction!

It isn't a proxy - the Exeter guards have booked work on the castle sets to keep competency, I was just pointing out both sets are mk3s so have a lot of commonality too.

Train Maniac

Out of curiosity, do we know if the HSTs will still be around Cornwall by mid March? (Crosses fingers)

co-tr-paul

Out of curiosity, do we know if the HSTs will still be around Cornwall by mid March? (Crosses fingers)
They are alive until 2025 as things stand at the moment.
No idea as to which power cars and sets are now in service !

It isn't a proxy - the Exeter guards have booked work on the castle sets to keep competency, I was just pointing out both sets are mk3s so have a lot of commonality too.
The only thing in common between Sleeper/day coach Mk3 and HST mk3 is bodyshell and bogies. Separate competency required as completely different in many, many respects.

ClnRe

In this month's Railways Illustrated magazine it states that 'Eight (GWR) Class 43's identified as being due for imminent withdrawal, according to Railways Illustrated sources, are 43207/029/094, 43122/153-155/162.'
The magazine thought that the withdrawals may take place before the December timetable change or the end of the year.
It also says that four sets are to remain in traffic, although discussions continue regarding the retention of a fifth set.
Can anyone confirm this?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
In this month's Railways Illustrated magazine it states that 'Eight (GWR) Class 43's identified as being due for imminent withdrawal, according to Railways Illustrated sources, are 43207/029/094, 43122/153-155/162.'
The magazine thought that the withdrawals may take place before the December timetable change or the end of the year.
It also says that four sets are to remain in traffic, although discussions continue regarding the retention of a fifth set.
Can anyone confirm this?

It won’t be 43207!

Western Sunset

Established Member
Can anyone confirm this?
Think there are some typos in the above list...

co-tr-paul

" Within the office talk " was 6 sets for the 3 mon to sat diagrams. No idea on what power cars or sets and think still a little early to confirm until things on yhe duagrams settle down.
Others may be able to confirm.

irish_rail

Established Member
I could of sworn 154 and 155 where two with a long term future, but perhaps not. 122 hasn't done much for past few weeks, seems inactive at Laira so I'd say that looks a good bet to go. Time will tell I suppose.