• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

tbwbear

The current fleet availability issues with the IET'S means that there are a lot more 9 car sets on the West of England trains, part of the reason for the restaurant in the rear set is that it allows more time to unload all of the catering equipment at Plymouth without delaying the Penzance portion as it can still be unloaded once the Penzance portion has left.
This operational issue at Plymouth is understandable. I often watched the crew struggle a bit to unload from the HST in time for departure. A similar problem occurs in the up direction.

But, are we any closer to the point where someone decides that having the restaurant accessible from only 50% of the train is not a price worth paying for easier operation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
Seeing as the vast majority of London to Cornwall services are now 9 car IETs this is no longer a problem.
But unfortunately this is only temporary and we will soon be back to 10 cars splitting and joining at Plymouth and the associated chaos will return.
Its a shame as the operation all seems to run so much better when the train is formed of 9 cars.

Private Baxter

Established Member
The current fleet availability issues with the IET'S means that there are a lot more 9 car sets on the West of England trains, part of the reason for the restaurant in the rear set is that it allows more time to unload all of the catering equipment at Plymouth without delaying the Penzance portion as it can still be unloaded once the Penzance portion has left.
I accept that as a reaaon, as well as having it ready and waiting on up trains, but hardly encourages people to want to use it, so I still think it would make better sense to use the set doing the full journey, even if it is in the middle of the train. They coped when it was HSTs after all! I believe more of the Penzance services are currently 9 car, though whether that continues post pandemic we shall see. Customers with first class tickets can make a reservation in the dining car, and so that seat will be reserved (so in essence they will have two reservations) but completely agree with the problems mentioned above about having reservations in the wrong section.

WesternLancer

Established Member
This is something I've always fancied doing and will, at some point, when the steak returns. However, I do have a concern based on a review I read on Trip Advisor. Essentially, someone booked Pullman Dining and boarded the train in their seat reserved for travel. When the call came for dinner they attempted to reach the dining car, but couldn't, because the train consisted of two five-car IETs coupled together. Their reservation was in one IET, the Pullman Dining car was in the other! How can you be sure you won't get caught out by this?
When I last did Pullman dining (which was on an HST so obv not going to be an issue then with being in wrong half) I called the GWR customer services team on the number on the Pullman dining web page and they reserved me a place in the dining car as I had given advance notice of my intention to dine - at that time at least the page had a note to say you can do this. No complex questions were asked and it all went smoothly. So you could try that if it still is offered. Mind you I was boarding at Paddington so would have done a visual check on the train / spoken to staff on board before departure as a double check too.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
But unfortunately this is only temporary and we will soon be back to 10 cars splitting and joining at Plymouth and the associated chaos will return.
Its a shame as the operation all seems to run so much better when the train is formed of 9 cars.

No, the change in formation on West Country services is not temporary but part of GWR’s wider long term strategy as the railway rebuilds around leisure travel.

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
No, the change in formation on West Country services is not temporary but part of GWR’s wider long term strategy as the railway rebuilds around leisure travel.
That is welcome news. I know that some of the evening journeys are booked as 9 car, including the 18:03 which is due to have Pullman reinstated.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Not at all. More 9-car Penzance trains is a long-term strategy. Whilst there will still be some 10-cars, the % will decrease as it's been well noted that for convenience and passenger comfort it makes things easier. The 80x fleet being the way it is though and the diagram concerns means that it will be a mixed bag for a few months yet.
Lets hope that will only be 'currently'.

Does anyone know when the extra services will be added?

26th, but its only an increase to 6 trains a day from the current 2.

irish_rail

Established Member
Not at all. More 9-car Penzance trains is a long-term strategy. Whilst there will still be some 10-cars, the % will decrease as it's been well noted that for convenience and passenger comfort it makes things easier. The 80x fleet being the way it is though and the diagram concerns means that it will be a mixed bag for a few months yet.

26th, but its only an increase to 6 trains a day from the current 2.
Fantastic news that if true. Its something I've long banged on about on here , much to the annoyance of some, but , on the ground it has long been obvious that the portion working was a very poor substitute for what came before it on the WofE services.
Full marks to GWR for listening to staff and customer concerns and common sense prevailing.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Fantastic news that if true. Its something I've long banged on about on here , much to the annoyance of some, but , on the ground it has long been obvious that the portion working was a very poor substitute for what came before it on the WofE services.
Full marks to GWR for listening to staff and customer concerns and common sense prevailing.
Agreed and it is true. There have been those on the forum who were vehemently against nine and 10-cars through Cornwall but I (and a good few others including many staff) never thought that five cars as standard would work.

Site clearance work at Ponsandane (the Penzance side of Longrock depot) has begun for the new stabling sidings for the longer trains.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Agreed and it is true. There have been those on the forum who were vehemently against nine and 10-cars through Cornwall but I (and a good few others including many staff) never thought that five cars as standard would work.

Site clearance work at Ponsandane (the Penzance side of Longrock depot) has begun for the new stabling sidings for the longer trains.
I haven't really posted in this section often, but have followed it, so am aware of the various debates surrounding this, but have to say I agree with the views that 9 cars are better for the full distance, so I'm pleased this is the approach they are now taking. Perhaps with the drive towards leisure travel, they might have more of a say about the interior of the 802s.

Back on topic, another issue with dining on the IETs is the layout of the restaurant. Solo diners are spoilt for choice, though they can only face one direction. However there is no suitable seating arrangement for couples, or people travelling with a friend. There is only really the adjacent seats at the front, which might be required by a wheelchair user and their companion, and even if not, they have a lovely view of the constantly opening toilet! Otherwise, on 5 car sets, theres the windowless seats at the very back, again adjacent rather than opposite, and hardly promotes the idea of the travelling restaurant! There are of course tables for four, which is fine for some, or on quieter trains, but not every body wants to necessarily be joined by strangers. But I guess any such alterations would need to go through Hitachi, the DfT, etc.

Essexman

Established Member
Some staff told me that they weren't happy with the layout when the new trains were introduced. Fewer seats, no doubles and all singles face the same way. This is an issue for those who can feel travel sick when facing backwards. If first class is at the rear going westbound the single seats face backwards, hence if I'm travelling alone I tend to use the Pullman only when returning to London. But of course it's a lottery as one doesn't know which way the train will be facing until you see it. Even the indicator boards and platform announcements aren't always right about the formation.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Some staff told me that they weren't happy with the layout when the new trains were introduced. Fewer seats, no doubles and all singles face the same way. This is an issue for those who can feel travel sick when facing backwards. If first class is at the rear going westbound the single seats face backwards, hence if I'm travelling alone I tend to use the Pullman only when returning to London. But of course it's a lottery as one doesn't know which way the train will be facing until you see it. Even the indicator boards and platform announcements aren't always right about the formation.
That's a shame you can't dine when travelling backwards, but understandable. Whilst it doesn't bother me as such, it's nice to have the option. I don't know whether there are fewer seats than HSTs, but there are fewer suitable seats. One crew once told me they don't like to set up the front two if they can help it, and indeed the windowless ones are often left bare, unless requested, so thats quite a reduction!

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
I think there were 17 seats on the HST and 13 on the IETs, but that depends if anyone is occupying the end seats by the wheelchair area.
I certainly wouldn’t use the windowless seat.

Private Baxter

Established Member
You're right it was 17 on HST.
There are 15 on a 9 car (no windowless) and 18 on a 5/10 car, with three windowless. But as you say can often be reduced to just 13 depending on front two.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's all classic DfT really. They specified these massive kitchens to be fitted to all the trains be they 5-car or 9-car but then specified an interior which, whilst not wholly unsuitable, is not well optimised to deliver the premium catering service one of their key operators provides. That's quite apart from the fact that I still bet that there are some IEP kitchens on the GWML which have never been used in anger because GWR only run a handful of services that would require them (less of an issue on LNER to be fair, at least when proper 1st class catering returns anyway).

Private Baxter

Established Member
It's all classic DfT really. They specified these massive kitchens to be fitted to all the trains be they 5-car or 9-car but then specified an interior which, whilst not wholly unsuitable, is not well optimised to deliver the premium catering service one of their key operators provides. That's quite apart from the fact that I still bet that there are some IEP kitchens on the GWML which have never been used in anger because GWR only run a handful of services that would require them (less of an issue on LNER to be fair, at least when proper 1st class catering returns anyway).
Some of the 5 car 800s may never have been used, or at least only once or twice, as the Welsh breakfast/brunch services were typically diagrammed as being 9 car operation.

fgwrich

Established Member
Exactly so. I just wish that, perhaps one day, we could actually see some from of apology from those who ridiculously over specced these units, because frankly and despite all the promises of Improved Catering etc, it's been a farce. At least sense is finally being seen by utilising the 9 cars on the Penzance's.

David Goddard

Established Member
In theory GWR could instigate a reconfiguration on the 802s, as they are not owned in the same was as the 800s.
They could then have a more suitable interior, and with appropriate diagramming use these to work all Pullman services.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
In theory GWR could instigate a reconfiguration on the 802s, as they are not owned in the same was as the 800s.
They could then have a more suitable interior, and with appropriate diagramming use these to work all Pullman services.

Whilst true, where that falls down is DfT insisted both 800s and 802s had the same interior. As DfT now control any GWR capital expenditure you can hardly see ‘improving’ 802s being signed off….

Essexman

Established Member
Large kitchens are good.
Not using them to provide any significant food offering on all but a handful of services is bad.

Taunton

Established Member
Those menu items (especially the duck appearing twice) seem to be straight off the Marks & Spencer ready meals shelf.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Those menu items (especially the duck appearing twice) seem to be straight off the Marks & Spencer ready meals shelf.

I'm no fan of duck, don't like the taste, but I don't have any issue with using high quality "ready meals" in this way at all. If anything you should get a better product by cooking it in a proper kitchen rather than a cupboard on a train. There are of course things that don't suit being microwaved (e.g. steak and chips) but the answer is to serve things that do suit it. Huge amounts of money go into developing quality food for airline business and First Classes which are just heated in an oven (though admittedly not a microwave), not cooked on board.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Agreed, they have a better chance of changing the interior of the 802s, but obviously would need to go through the DfT, who were previously opposed to any modifications. That said, with the push for leisure trade, there is arguably a stronger case to be made. In the Modern Railways article, Mr Hopwood does hint that they would like to improve it, staying "First class is seen as a product with some opportunities for strong growth". Read into that what you will.

Taunton

Established Member
In the Modern Railways article, Mr Hopwood does hint that they would like to improve it, staying "First class is seen as a product with some opportunities for strong growth". Read into that what you will.
Alas the railway has been littered for generations with management perceptions that First Class is a great revenue opportunity just waiting to be captured - and then nothing happens. Either the first class seating runs round as empty stock all week long, or (in more recent times) is sold off excessively cheaply with Advances etc because that is what they are stuck with. The WCML has been plagued with this ever since fixed formation Mk 2 stock came along. The differentials between first and standard class, or at least the worthwhile differentials, have now made first class costs prohibitive. Notably when public service banned travel in first class quite some years ago, principally because it had become so expensive at business hours, no attempt was made to reduce the proportions.

As someone who has more than once had to stand from Birmingham to London because in a "turn up and go" 20 minute interval service was missing a train that routed through from Scotland, it's also galling to find that the First Class is half full, principally with those on Advances who have paid much less, but the premium I would have to pay on a mainstream ticket is huge.

And further thinking back, I recall, long ago, the Edinburgh-Glasgow service with six Mk 2 coaches, one of which was first class, and invariably empty stock. Or it would have been, were it not for the railway officials entitled to first class passes, who treated it as some sort of private club for themselves, while in the remaining coaches it was commonly full and sometimes standing.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I couldn’t eat duck on a train to Devon without Fawlty Towers flashbacks.

Constant apprehension that chef would lift the cloche to reveal a trifle.

northernbelle

Do remember though that the equipment used to cook a meal is only part of the kitchen facility. The refrigeration, ambient stock storage, waste disposal and crew storage are used pretty much on every service.

Exactly so. I just wish that, perhaps one day, we could actually see some from of apology from those who ridiculously over specced these units, because frankly and despite all the promises of Improved Catering etc, it's been a farce. At least sense is finally being seen by utilising the 9 cars on the Penzance's.
You're living on another planet - I seem to remember HSTs running around with the cooking equipment such as hobs and ovens unused on the majority of services which is no different to now (and sets without the required equipment turning up on Pullman workings). Were they over-specced as well?

If anything, the flexibility offered by having the equipment on all IETs is a good thing both for operations now and for any future catering developments.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I couldn’t eat duck on a train to Devon without Fawlty Towers flashbacks.

Constant apprehension that chef would lift the cloche to reveal a trifle.

I am glad you mentioned that - as it has been on my mind ! - (Duck with orange as I recall in the disastrous gourmet evening episode ! :E - filmed near Preston Road , London)