• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

Established Member
GWR website says that Pullman can only be booked by first class passengers, although standard class passengers can ask upon boarding if a space is free - so it seems unlikely there would be space, as first class passengers are likely to want to book dinner?
I was on a Pullman train out of Paddington and staff came through Standard with menus proactively advertising it just after the service resumed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
I was on a Pullman train out of Paddington and staff came through Standard with menus proactively advertising it just after the service resumed.
Excellent, just like "the old days" of Intercity when the Chief Steward came through taking table bookings.

Established Member
Excellent, just like "the old days" of Intercity when the Chief Steward came through taking table bookings.
A couple of individuals near me expressed an interest, but had eaten already so obviously didn't partake. But either way, the steward was more than happy to take any questions and let people see the menu, myself included as I was only travelling to Reading. I really do need to do it one day.

Nippy

I would be happy if they bought back the morning Breakfast/Brunch Pullman. Used to enjoy having the full breakfast on the down Wales at 10:15 (or 10:45 - my memory isn't quite what it was!)

WesternLancer

Established Member
I would be happy if they bought back the morning Breakfast/Brunch Pullman. Used to enjoy having the full breakfast on the down Wales at 10:15 (or 10:45 - my memory isn't quite what it was!)
The breakfasts of course used to be the most popular meal not so log ago. Even entered Private Eye mythology as the 'Inter City Sizzler' I seem to recall!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm less fussed myself. I've occasionally treated myself to the Pullman dinner going to and from Uni, and it is a nice treat and worth the price, but if you ask me £18 is ridiculous for a fry up followed by some welsh cakes.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I'm less fussed myself. I've occasionally treated myself to the Pullman dinner going to and from Uni, and it is a nice treat and worth the price, but if you ask me £18 is ridiculous for a fry up followed by some welsh cakes.

It’s about the equivalent price to many hotel breakfasts in all honesty. Not cheap but comparable!

Private Baxter

Established Member
I thought £18 was very good value for what I was getting. I'd feel full long afterwards. I wish it would come back.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I thought £18 was very good value for what I was getting. I'd feel full long afterwards. I wish it would come back.

Compared to £12.50 that Mercure are charging for breakfast when I'm staying in July, then £18 actually sounds reasonable. The Pullman breakfast would undoubtedly be better too!

Mind you, they'd probably look at me funny if I asked them for my choice of breakfast, which would be a big serving of piping hot baked beans, several pieces of toast (hold the butter!) and a big mug of coffee. Preferably with a handful of biscuits to dunk in my coffee, while I enjoy the view out of the window.

I might not want to pay £18 for that though! :lol:

Established Member
Yes, but as I generally prefer a Pret a Manger sandwich to a fatty full English anyway, it’s especially unenticing for me :lol:

If you’re not having the fry up then I agree £18 looks pretty poor value for the other options.

Great to see the steak is back on the main menu!

Private Baxter

Established Member
There was actually a mothers' day brunch special on Sunday, which was supposedly well attended. Though a one off, perhaps it acted as a trial for breakfast/brunch again. The menu appeared a little different to the old breakfast.

Bit of gossip on the Pullman, which I took for the first time in a while tonight. Apparently the Welsh Pullman is being shifted to the 1748 from Paddington, vice 1848.

Bit disappointing in my view, it's not a service I'd tend to catch as it's a bit early for a full working day in the office and is generally a bit hard to justify for the price of the ticket. Plus it's almost too early for dinner based on the arrival time into Cardiff (I'd probably just eat at home).

Any news on when this is due to happen?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Updated menu on the Pullman, finally. Starting next week. I doubt it is still quite pre covid standard, but good to see a change at least.

chrisdevlin

Anyone had any experience with how busy the Friday Welsh Pullman gets? Have a standard class ticket but hoping to sample it this afternoon!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The CIS screens at Paddington are still advertising that the 18.48 to Swansea has a Pullman dining service.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Mind you, they'd probably look at me funny if I asked them for my choice of breakfast, which would be a big serving of piping hot baked beans, several pieces of toast (hold the butter!) and a big mug of coffee. Preferably with a handful of biscuits to dunk in my coffee, while I enjoy the view out of the window.

I might not want to pay £18 for that though! :lol:
Id assume it would be a set offering.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Id assume it would be a set offering.

Most likely. Saves my money so I can't complain too much. I don't think I would enjoy sitting there around others as I eat anyway, not these days. I don't enjoy having a meal with others in general though, apart from a select few people!

Essexman

Established Member
I'm not very impressed with the new menu, or the one it's replacing.
I'll wait until they bring back steak on every Pullman train before I use it again.

Vespa

Established Member
I'll wait until they bring back steak on every Pullman train before I use it again.
Last time I was on it was pre pandemic I had for starter pate and toast (I think) roast grouse with vegetable, chocolate pudding.

What's on offer this time round ?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Anyone had any experience with how busy the Friday Welsh Pullman gets? Have a standard class ticket but hoping to sample it this afternoon!
How was it on Friday? Before it was re-timed it was always very quiet. Hopefully it does a better trade now it is at a more sociable time.
I'm glad they've changed it, though have yet to try it. Steak is offered on all its services now. I agree though, it is not quite the standard it was pre pandemic.

chrisdevlin

How was it on Friday? Before it was re-timed it was always very quiet. Hopefully it does a better trade now it is at a more sociable time.

I'm glad they've changed it, though have yet to try it. Steak is offered on all its services now. I agree though, it is not quite the standard it was pre pandemic.
There were about 6 of us in total! Some people did come to have a look once the announcements were made on the train, but didn't end up joining. Think the lack of takeaway service discouraged them.

baz2277

I'm really interested in sampling this, but a little confused by actually booking it. I need to book a little in advance due to work commitments, but there doesn't seem to be an option to confirm a pullman dining booking when you buy a ticket. Is it the case that if I book a first class seat I am guaranteed a seat in the pullman coach??

When i've searched I can't get any further than the end of May, so how can I ensure I get to eat beyond this time?

Seems very clunky!

How many seats are actually available for dining per service?

Also how far am I likely to need to travel to enjoy the meal? Are we talking all the way to Plymouth, or would Bristol/Cardiff be enough time??

Cheers

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm really interested in sampling this, but a little confused by actually booking it. I need to book a little in advance due to work commitments, but there doesn't seem to be an option to confirm a pullman dining booking when you buy a ticket. Is it the case that if I book a first class seat I am guaranteed a seat in the pullman coach??

When i've searched I can't get any further than the end of May, so how can I ensure I get to eat beyond this time?

Seems very clunky!

Also how far am I likely to need to travel to enjoy the meal? Are we talking all the way to Plymouth, or would Bristol/Cardiff be enough time??

Cheers
I believe that on services which are booked to have Pullman the carriage is blocked from reservations so it can be kept clear for diners. First class ticket holders can make a reservation for dining here. In my experience the crew will come through first class once they've set up to find those with reservations and then any other diners. Priority goes to first class ticket holders and I've not heard of any reports of first class ticket holders being unable to get seated even without a reservation so standard class ticket holders will also usually be invited to avail themselves of the service once all first class ticket holders have been seated.

I would tend to grab a seat next close to the carriage they've laid up for Pullman service (the 1st class vehicle with the driving cab in it) so you have the best chance of securing a single seat (unless, of course, you're happy to share with strangers! Each to their own after all) as then the crew will get to you quickly. If you join close to departure you can always just go straight to the dining car and ask there as they may already be seating people but the odd time I've done it I've been on early enough that they've not finished setting up so ask you to take a seat in the next carriage whilst they sort themselves out.

London to Taunton/Newport I'd suggest would be the minimum for an unhurried experience. They might be able to accommodate slightly shorter journeys if you tell them in advance however.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Seems very clunky!

Cheers
well, when I last did it I booked an Advance 1st to be sure to have a good chance of using it (as 1st class gets preference over std IIRC) - then I followed advice on GWR website ref Pullman dining which said ring and reserve a seat in the dining car - which I did and they took my details for the train concerned. I then made sure to present myself as soon as the 1st call for dining was made (having had a word with dining car staff when boarding at Paddington too) - this all worked well and was well worth the effort.

I did belt and braces as I only made the whole journey just to sample the restaurant car. In the event it was not full and walk up std class passengers could have easily had a seat to dine, but I wanted to be certain of one.