• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes, there are reductions across the GWR network.

Reading to Basingstoke runs once an hour. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...8/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW

The Marlow branch is hourly all day rather than stepping up to half-hourly with the Bourne End split during the peaks https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...8/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW

Not diesel, but the London Paddington to Didcot stopping service runs from Reading to Didcot only https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...8/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW

Only the Reading to Newbury stoppers run, not the London to Newbury service https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...8/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GW
Thanks for that. The info isn't on the GWR Web Site. In fact, I couldn't find the strike info on there last night as it wasn't linked to from the home page as far as I see. However, I did helpfully see a link to it from Facebook today.

It doesn't list the Thursday changes other than telling people not to travel.

I finally looked at the Saturday services. If someone said to me a very limited service would be running across the network, Reading to Basingstoke is not a line I would have thought they would run a service on but they are. I would have thought Plymouth would be more likely to get a service.
  • Bristol Temple Meads-London Paddington
  • Bristol Temple Meads-Cardiff Central
  • Reading to Oxford
  • Reading to Basingstoke

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If someone said to be a very limited service would be running across the network, Reading to Basingstoke is not a line I would have thought they would run a service on but they are.
One driver can run an hourly service from Reading to Basingstoke. With Elizabeth Line services running normally and therefore covering London to Reading, as a strategic link, it is probably worth covering Reading to Basingstoke with the limited resources available.

Goldfish62

Established Member
One driver can run an hourly service from Reading to Basingstoke. With Elizabeth Line services running normally and therefore covering London to Reading, as a strategic link, it is probably worth covering Reading to Basingstoke with the limited resources available.
Plus SWR are running normally so it gives a link from Reading to the south coast and West of England services.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Basingstoke itself is fairly big I guess but then I wouldn't have thought the places in between were and Basingstoke does have direct trains to London on South Western Railway, if one is purely looking at it from a get to London perspective, as opposed to where else one can go.

As you say it's a short line that easier to staff.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
This is really quite abysmal for somewhere of Plymouths size and importance. You'd think someone could be found from somewhere to cover Plymouth panel. Indeed this now means nothing coming on or off Laira depot which will have consequences across the rest of the western and id guess also for XC too??!!

Unfortunately circumstances sometimes dictate last minute changes.

There are only so many contingent staff who sign each panel and often unfortunately a combination of summer leave and then anything unplanned can leave the cupboard bare with regard to competent people.

irish_rail

Established Member

There are only so many contingent staff who sign each panel and often unfortunately a combination of summer leave and then anything unplanned can leave the cupboard bare with regard to competent people.
I'm just interested with what happens regards Laira. Going to lead to alot of additional cancellations spreading way beyond Exeter to Plymouth. If I where NEtwork rail id be bending over backwards, even withdrawing service from somewhere else , just to keep Plymouth to Laira open, but I guess (or hope for the passengers sake) there is some kind of plan in place for the XC and GWR stuff which will be on Laira tonight.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I'm just interested with what happens regards Laira. Going to lead to alot of additional cancellations spreading way beyond Exeter to Plymouth. If I where NEtwork rail id be bending over backwards, even withdrawing service from somewhere else , just to keep Plymouth to Laira open, but I guess (or hope for the passengers sake) there is some kind of plan in place for the XC and GWR stuff which will be on Laira tonight.

The competency to signal trains is a bit like drivers route knowledge you are only passed out on certain panels so very unlikely to be able to move a contingent signaller from somewhere else.

There appear to be some additional ECS moves from Bristol for XC.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Basingstoke itself is fairly big I guess but then I wouldn't have thought the places in between were and Basingstoke does have direct trains to London on South Western Railway, if one is purely looking at it from a get to London perspective, as opposed to where else one can go.
Surely the sensible way to London from Reading on Saturday is direct via SWR into Waterloo or on the Elizabeth line.

Running trains to Basingstoke provides a connection on SWR to Exeter.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Do GWR have their Saturday timetable in journey planners yet? Their strike page says to expect it today, and looking at the times it seems like they are (Bristol to London is hourly when its normally half hourly) but there's nothing explicitly saying this is the strike timetable that I can see.
I finally looked at the Saturday services. If someone said to me a very limited service would be running across the network, Reading to Basingstoke is not a line I would have thought they would run a service on but they are. I would have thought Plymouth would be more likely to get a service.
For Saturday, my understanding is that CrossCountry are running a normal service. So Plymouth will still get served (and travelling from London you can go via Bristol). Won't be fun and will likely be very busy, but it is a service. But yeah obviously doesn't help for tomorrow.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

It’s also dependant on contingent drivers route knowledge. If you have a contingent driver who signs that route but nowhere else you might as well use them to run a service.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It’s also dependant on contingent drivers route knowledge. If you have a contingent driver who signs that route but nowhere else you might as well use them to run a service.
If they had a contingent driver who could provide a service on a line every 3 hours whereas it might normally be 2 trains an hour, would they run a service or decide it's better to provide no service as it's not enough to meet the usual demand.

Is there a point where one decides it's not worth it.

Surely the sensible way to London from Reading on Saturday is direct via SWR into Waterloo or on the Elizabeth line.

Running trains to Basingstoke provides a connection on SWR to Exeter.
I was referring to how one gets from Basingstoke to London and not Reading to London.

Andypandy1968

On Moderation
This is really quite abysmal for somewhere of Plymouths size and importance. You'd think someone could be found from somewhere to cover Plymouth panel. Indeed this now means nothing coming on or off Laira depot which will have consequences across the rest of the western and id guess also for XC too??!!
Isn't that the idea of a strike? To cause maximum disruption.

Grecian 1998

For Saturday, my understanding is that CrossCountry are running a normal service. So Plymouth will still get served (and travelling from London you can go via Bristol). Won't be fun and will likely be very busy, but it is a service. But yeah obviously doesn't help for tomorrow.

XC seem to run an increasing number of services with single Voyagers despite the fact there are still multiple 2 hour gaps in the timetable south of Bristol. There's a gap between the 1045 and the 1245, and the 1245 seems to be a single 220 as standard. If you can actually board that one you'll have done well I suspect.

Unfortunately, Reading to Virginia Water is closed due to engineering work on Saturday and even the fast busses take an hour to get to Virginia Water. The almost all stations Elizabeth line will be considerably faster.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Unfortunately, Reading to Virginia Water is closed due to engineering work on Saturday and even the fast busses take an hour to get to Virginia Water. The almost all stations Elizabeth line will be considerably faster.
Good point. And after my experience with the rail replacement buses on that line a couple of weeks ago it's certainly one I'd recommend avoiding!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The specific situation at Plymouth is due to a rather unfortunate combination of circumstances so I've heard.

Jamiescott1

Saturdays strike timetable seems to start earlier.
Today the first service from maidenhead was 0740 whereas Saturday its 0522

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Saturdays strike timetable seems to start earlier.
Today the first service from maidenhead was 0740 whereas Saturday its 0522
Network Rail signallers aren't on strike on Saturday. Elizabeth Line drivers aren't on strike. Therefore a full Elizabeth Line timetable can run.

GWR aren't running any services from Maidenhead on Saturday and only once an hour through Maidenhead non-stop.

Jamiescott1

Network Rail signallers aren't on strike on Saturday. Elizabeth Line drivers aren't on strike. Therefore a full Elizabeth Line timetable can run.

GWR aren't running any services from Maidenhead on Saturday and only once an hour through Maidenhead non-stop.

Yep my mistake. Thought RMT were striking Saturday too

jimm

Established Member
And now no GWR services on Sunday between Gloucester and Swindon and on the Cotswold Line between Oxford, Worcester and Hereford.

This was posted on Twitter.

I am afraid that there is no services this weekend between Oxford and Worcester due to a lack of staff - Brad

Latest service update for the weekend is at https://www.gwr.com/strike

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed there were trains from Reading to Gatwick Airport yesterday. Am I right in thinking this was only possible due to support staff being able to service the trains on Saturdsy evening, when the strike was taking place, as said support staff were not on strike?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I noticed there were trains from Reading to Gatwick Airport yesterday. Am I right in thinking this was only possible due to support staff being able to service the trains on Saturdsy evening, when the strike was taking place, as said support staff were not on strike?
Different sort of strike on Saturday. Just ASLEF drivers so not the same level of next day disruption.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Different sort of strike on Saturday. Just ASLEF drivers so not the same level of next day disruption.
That's what I thought. So who does all the prepping of trains? Is it cleaners or type of staff? I had assumed shunters would be under ASLEF, and thus it wouldn't be them in this case but I could be wrong.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That's what I thought. So who does all the prepping of trains? Is it cleaners or type of staff? I had assumed shunters would be under ASLEF, and thus it wouldn't be them in this case but I could be wrong.
Isn't it more that they can't get around the depot because the units prepped can't leave to make space with no signallers available?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Isn't it more that they can't get around the depot because the units prepped can't leave to make space with no signallers available?
South Western Railway ran a weekday timetable last Thursday with only changes in the morning to account for signallers starting their shifts at 7:30 am. Surely they also would have units in depots. If it was just a moving trains from depot issue, how could they run such a service?

All I'm trying to do is understand this it works and the limitations.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
South Western Railway ran a weekday timetable last Thursday with only changes in the morning to account for signallers starting their shifts at 7:30 am. Surely they also would have units in depots. If it was just a moving trains from depot issue, how could they run such a service?

All I'm trying to do is understand this it works and the limitations.

The limitation is a judgement call on what service can realistically be delivered, there’s no finite parameters as such like a computer game.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Depot staff are more likely to be RMT staff, although some shunters may be in ASLEF. However that wouldn’t stop the crack of dawn diagrams from operating on a Sunday just because of a strike on the Saturday. Especially as there’s been another day of prep at certain depots.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Given it was only drivers on strike on Saturday, it is interesting that some services finished earlier on Sunday. GWar state it was due to the strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.