• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holyhead electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianW

Established Member
Very true. But in a world of tight budgets where we can't do them all at once, surely there are better uses of that limited budget than electrifying North Wales?
Time for a timely reminder? What is this line for? Contributors have mentioned many relevant matters, eg
- Holyhead for Dublin- who for?
- Freight??
- North Walesians to go shopping in Chester, or Liverpool- Business?
- Waiting for HS2b wiil save money we (UK and Wales) don't have
- The idea of investing out of recession seems remote; we have 'full employment'
- North Wales Powerhouse rail??

Call me unimaginative.

How many 'red wall' seats benefitting?
Electrifying North Wales seems an odd choice in a world where there are no wires across the Pennines, along the Chiltern line, the Birmingham Snow Hill routes, half of the Midland Mainline (and many more) would seem rather odd.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As we all know - any real Irish passenger traffic is now in the air, there is no container traffic to Holyhead (it was an absolute loss maker anyway , due to tough competition from other routes and an imbalance of trade) etc.....so internal traffic within Wales and the near English regions.

Bright ideas anyone ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As we all know - any real Irish passenger traffic is now in the air, there is no container traffic to Holyhead (it was an absolute loss maker anyway , due to tough competition from other routes and an imbalance of trade) etc.....so internal traffic within Wales and the near English regions.

Bright ideas anyone ?

To add traffic and take cars off the A55? Reopen Caernarfon (a significant tourist destination) and replace the Holyhead leg with a shuttle from the Junction interworked with the Conwy Valley, every two hours calling at all stations on both routes.

But wires wise and back on topic, as I said Scotland has it right - the three options are wires, batteries or hydrogen (or closure). Dead dinosaur burning has to stop. To me, for anything with 2tph or more, which it has, the correct one is wires.

mmh

Established Member
I don't understand why this keeps getting resurrected. Holyhead will never be electrified. The Conwy tubes are a distraction, even if it is possible to put OHLE on them, that's an irrelevance really. It's Conwy Cob that's the problem. Good luck trying to put OHLE along it.

(a significant tourist destination)
Caernarfon? It really, really isn't.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't understand why this keeps getting resurrected. Holyhead will never be electrified. The Conwy tubes are a distraction, even if it is possible to put OHLE on them, that's an irrelevance really. It's Conwy Cob that's the problem. Good luck trying to put OHLE along it.

It'll be electrified or it'll be closed. Possibly discontinuous with batteries.

snowball

Established Member
It's Conwy Cob that's the problem. Good luck trying to put OHLE along it.
In what way is Conwy Cob a problem? Exposure to the wind? They did the Ayrshire coast. They did the Border bridge at Berwick.

mmh

Established Member
In what way is Conwy Cob a problem? Exposure to the wind? They did the Ayrshire coast. They did the Border bridge at Berwick.
It's not a technical problem, it's a political problem.

mmh

Established Member
It'll be electrified or it'll be closed. Possibly discontinuous with batteries.
If you buy into unworkable greenwash, perhaps. It won't be closed. Today's government targets aren't a future government's targets. And they are, well, just targets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you buy into unworkable greenwash, perhaps. It won't be closed. Today's government targets aren't a future government's targets. And they are, well, just targets.

If the Conwy Valley was in Switzerland it'd be wired.

This being the case, there's nothing at all off kilter about wiring a mainline with three trains per hour (four in some hours) over its busiest section, as it will have once the Liverpool is extended to Llandudno once enough 197s arrive.

Suggesting that shouldn't be wired is like suggesting we should go and rip the third rail up on half of Merseyrail and get some 150s in.

I could see a case to electrify only to Llandudno and work Holyhead as a shuttle BMU/HMU given its reduced importance, but I can't see any case for not wiring at least half way across.

Actually that may make sense. It avoids Conwy, and Junction-Holyhead is plenty short enough to do on batteries.

mmh

Established Member
Who's going to object to wires along there? People wouldn't even notice.
I thought you knew the area reasonably well, but perhaps not as much as you think.

Why do you think the Conwy tunnel was built?

Why do you think Deganwy has a recent second level crossing built in an era they're frowned upon?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought you knew the area reasonably well, but perhaps not as much as you think.

Why do you think the Conwy tunnel was built?

So the dual carriageway could be built through to Holyhead.

If you're suggesting running what is basically a French standard motorway across above ground next to the Cob is in any way similar to sticking some wires up on the extant railway, I think you're over NIMBYing things.

Why do you think Deganwy has a recent second level crossing built in an era they're frowned upon?

I didn't know it had, but presumably to get to the other side of the railway in a wheelchair accessible manner for reasons of a new development or somesuch? Generally lift fitted footbridges are not fitted outside of stations.

snowball

Established Member
The Welsh government and local authorities have been pressing for electrification of the line for decades. Probably ever since the original electrification of London to Crewe. They aren't going to object to any reasonably carefully designed proposal.

mmh

Established Member
I could see a case to electrify only to Llandudno and work Holyhead as a shuttle BMU/HMU given its reduced importance, but I can't see any case for not wiring at least half way across.
Hang on, you were only just telling us of Caernarfon's importance, but now you're proposing cutting electrification back to Llandudno?

Again, I think people who think they know here well are misguided. That would be politically impossible. Anyone who thinks you could do that has no idea what turmoil would happen. Even if it was to happen, electrification of the coast would have to be all or nothing. No MS would dare support partial electrification.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m all for electrification of the line, and believe the rate of passenger usage to be completely irrelevant. Trains don’t run on electricity to improve capacity or make a quieter journey, but to stop the air being damaged further by fossil fuels. My god, the enormous gust of black smoke that rose from a dwelling 158 at Shrewsbury today made me cough just to see it!

I also think Caernathon and Llandudno deserve more attention than Holyhead, but Bangor is far too busy to send almost all trains to Llandudno.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Which will be why the Welsh government has built a new bypass east of the town, to benefit the tourists heading to the coast further south.

Electrifying the North Wales main line is a bit like electrifying Cambridge-Ely-Kings Lynn.
You wouldn't have done it unless as an efficient and cheap extension of the GN/GE wiring to Cambridge (involving some singling across the fens I think).
Getting the wires west of Crewe/Warrington is the first requirement, to put Chester and its wide hinterland (including the Wirral and Deeside) on the HS2 map.

Freight is insignificant at the moment, but if Wylfa Newydd finally gets off the ground the route to Anglesey will become a strategic resource.

krus_aragon

Established Member

Actually that may make sense. It avoids Conwy, and Junction-Holyhead is plenty short enough to do on batteries.

My spidey-sense is reminding me of the debates of where to build a railhead/port for Ireland back in the 1840s: Advocates of Llandudno pointed out that it avoided the need to deal with the Conwy (river) and further awkward landscape further west. :)

Here comes my tuppence-plus on the issue:

There are many other lines that need electrifying, and many have a better business case for doing so than the NWCL. I only see that as an argument for doing those sooner, as opposed to not doing the NWCL.

For lines within the Welsh Government's sphere of influence, there aren't many lines higher up the electrification list than the NWCL. Other than extending SWML electrification, all the areas in the Wales & Borders franchise that have a better case are over the border in England (wires to Bristol, Shrewsbury-Wolves, Chester-Crewe/Warrington). Given that the Welsh Government don't even have responsibility for rail infrastructure in Wales, it'd be a bit rich for them to start making shopping lists for English lines too.

The elephant in the room: HS2. There are existing arguments over the fact that the London-Birmingham-Crewe-Manchester line is being considered as a project benefiting both England and Wales for funding purposes. Without getting into that patch of long grass again, the planned rolling stock and routes for HS2 do not include any trains to Chester or North Wales, neither do they include any bi-mode designs (not even the classic-compatible variety). This implies that any London-North Wales services will remain on the WCML, or involve a change onto HS2 at Crewe.

In light of the HS2 situation, I reckon that if Westminster agreed to fund the electrification of the NWCL, in order to allow direct classic-compatible services post-HS2, the argument over HS2 funding and Barnett consequentials would evaporate overnight. That may even be what the Welsh Government are trying to manoeuvre towards.

Given that the Scottish Government are planning on electrifying to Dundee/Perth/Arbroath (and a lot of suburban lines) by 2029. After electrifying the Core Valley lines, is it that out-of-whack for the Welsh Government to seek to do a mainline in a similar timescale?

mmh

Established Member
Really? Huge castle, medieval walls. Not to mention the steam railway.
A tourist's interpretation. As I said, Caernarfon is not a significant tourist destination. Which is why it has very little tourist accommodation. It is a tourist attraction. North Wales is full of them. The only settlements of any size which are tourist destinations are Llandudno and Conwy. Everywhere else is either an attraction, a holiday park, a day trip, or somewhere someone might base themselves while driving around.

Which will be why the Welsh government has built a new bypass east of the town, to benefit the tourists heading to the coast further south.
Indeed. I challenge anybody here to take a week's holiday in Caernarfon and share their experience.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Whilst I am not sure Holyhead route is highest priority for electrification, can somebody please explain why the Conway tubular bridge cannot be electrified. Is it lack of vertical clearance height, or simply that attaching a modern solid bar overhead conductor to a riveted wrought iron structure is not possible. I assume no one is daft enough to think it would get catenary wires.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Exactly. And lots of hotels, some of which can command quite hefty prices. And a nice old centre with lots of pubs and restaurants. A potentially great base, as Betws fills up, to arrive by train, stay in a hotel and use the Sherpa'r Wyddfa, if you can work out what it is, to go and walk up the mountain the Welsh would rather you didn't call Snowdon. Potentially very attractive.

Holyhead by contrast is a dump. And a Caernarfon train would call at Bangor (which by contrast to Caernarfon isn't that nice, though is studentville).

Indeed. I challenge anybody here to take a week's holiday in Caernarfon and share their experience.

Don't be silly. It's not in that market, it is in the "hotel weekend break" market. A week in a touring caravan watching the rain stream down the windows might be cheap but doesn't drive the Welsh economy to that extent.

We often holidayed near Llandudno and a visit to Caernarfon, usually to the castle, pretty much always featured.

That somewhere has a bypass doesn't mean it's not worth visiting. Bypasses are normally built to make places nicer for people going to them and to make going elsewhere easier, not because they are not themselves worth visiting.

Whilst I am not sure Holyhead route is highest priority for electrification, can somebody please explain why the Conway tubular bridge cannot be electrified. Is it lack of vertical clearance height, or simply that attaching a modern solid bar overhead conductor to a riveted wrought iron structure is not possible. I assume no one is daft enough to think it would get catenary wires.

It's not the bridge. It's one person who thinks the local NIMBYs would be chaining themselves to the rails across Conwy Cob because of a few masts* and a bit of wire they may not even notice.

* I concede the GWML scheme is overengineered and horribly ugly, but you don't need to use massive girders for it, there are nicer looking options for a section with a very low linespeed, look at some of the French low speed stuff, or cast iron tram catenary masts.

A tourist's interpretation. As I said, Caernarfon is not a significant tourist destination. Which is why it has very little tourist accommodation.

You what? There is plenty. Some of it e.g. the large TL and PI are quite recent, but it's always had hotels. It is also a more useful gateway to the National Park than Bangor is.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
All of them need doing. Scotland has got it bang-on.
Absolutely right.
I think you are deluding yourself. When (almost) everyone wants it for a myriad of differing reasons, and several sensitive solutions have been found for heritage locations elsewhere, why on earth should we allow a few nimbys cut off their noses to spite everyone else's faces?
I am confident that sense will prevail - if we are not totally bankrupted by a Dutch auction of Tory leaders trying to prove that a state and a government are not necessary nowadays...

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Whilst the ferry connections might justify an Intercity type train every 2-3 hours, and we could probably do with some more summer Saturday trains, does electrification of circa 100 miles really represent a good use of money when the combined population of Holyhead, Bangor, Llandudno, Rhyl and Prestatyn is about 100,000? We have so many missing links and stubs with bigger populations.
It's less about population and more about the fact that burning dead dinosaurs has to stop. But if you are willing to restrict to a dedicated fleet, then it could be discontinuous electrification.

One thing we will have to wait and see (and it's going to be hard to predict) is if the majority of passengers value retaining/reinstating a through London service in the long term, or if post-HS2 everyone will just switch to HS2 at Crewe, as it's so much quicker, and in that case it might be better to run something like an hourly Holyhead to Birmingham via Crewe and Stafford, which could be wholly TfW operated, alongside the Liverpool and Manchester services, and those could all use dedicated battery fitted EMUs?
Here's an idea: once HS2 is open between Euston and Crewe, divert the ICWC Holyhead services via Birmingham (hopefully the massive recast brought about by HS2 will allow an hourly path for a Pendolino or pair of 805s (shame they're only 5 coaches, there aren't enough of them to run it hourly as pairs of units) Euston-Birmingham-Wolverhampton-Stafford-Crewe). Since changing onto HS2 would be a quicker of getting to London anyway, there will no longer be a need to run the Holyheads via the Trent Valley route and north Wales would gain fast services to Birmingham instead. That way, there should still be plenty of people using the service - it's just most will be using it for trips to/from Birmingham instead of London.

You could of course just drop the London workings altogether and give the fast Birmingham route to TfW instead, but politically it would retain a through London service even though hardly anyone would use it as such.

Exactly this. Electrifying North Wales seems an odd choice in a world where there are no wires across the Pennines, along the Chiltern line, the Birmingham Snow Hill routes, half of the Midland Mainline (and many more) would seem rather odd.
All of those need to be done, they are all recomended for electrification in Network Rail's TDNS (including the North Wales coast to Holyhead and Llandudno). In fact, the Snow Hill lines are shown green with dotted pink (which I think means electrification recommended but alternative traction would be feasible) whereas the North Wales coast is solid green (core electrification) along with the MML and most of the TPE network (York-Scarborough is an exception which has the same green/pink as the Snow Hill lines).

Yes, Holyhead is (rightly, probably) going to be a far way down the list of most people's priorities alongside things like TPE and MML, but it needs to be done eventually.

And a potential gateway to Snowdonia, with Sherpa buses to both Beddgelert and Llanberis. Snowdonia has a real problem with cars; car-free tourism would be a huge boon for the area.

Whilst I am not sure Holyhead route is highest priority for electrification, can somebody please explain why the Conway tubular bridge cannot be electrified.
We don't know if it can't be electrified; I very much doubt it is completely impossible unless the vertical clearance is so tight you couldn't even raise a pantograph in there (and if it was, I think somebody in British Rail might have noticed back in 1981 when a rolling programme of electrification, including Holyhead, was recommended).

It's not the bridge. It's one person who thinks the local NIMBYs would be chaining themselves to the rails across Conwy Cob because of a few masts* and a bit of wire they may not even notice.

* I concede the GWML scheme is overengineered and horribly ugly, but you don't need to use massive girders for it, there are nicer looking options for a section with a very low linespeed, look at some of the French low speed stuff, or cast iron tram catenary masts.
There are nicer-looking options than the GWML stuff even for fairly high linespeeds. A quick Google image search for HS1 has mostly returned pictures featuring far less-obtrusive OHLE than the GWML monstrosities. Indeed, with a suitable design single track cantilever, the ugliest bit can be the actual wires (mainly because it isn't just the contact wire, there's a load of other 'knitting' involved in OHLE as well for some reason).

snowball

Established Member
It's like the Forth bridge, and Standedge tunnel, and like the Severn tunnel was ten years ago. Its unelectrifyability is no more than a persistent rumour.

krus_aragon

Established Member
We don't know if it can't be electrified; I very much doubt it is completely impossible unless the vertical clearance is so tight you couldn't even raise a pantograph in there (and if it was, I think somebody in British Rail might have noticed back in 1981 when a rolling programme of electrification, including Holyhead, was recommended).
An ex-BR man once told me of the electrification study done back in the 80s, and noted that the Conwy Bridge was seen as the major obstacle on the line then. I didn't get any further details, and of course half a century's progress can ease things considerably.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
An ex-BR man once told me of the electrification study done back in the 80s, and noted that the Conwy Bridge was seen as the major obstacle on the line then. I didn't get any further details, and of course half a century's progress can ease things considerably.
The 1981 'Review of Main Line Electrification' is available on the web (https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/DoTBRB_Electrification1981.pdf). Unfortunately CTRL+F (Find) isn't finding any specific mention of Conwy - maybe there's a more-detailed study of the north Wales line specifically out there somewhere?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if they can - it's two very tight single bore tunnels, I'm not convinced there's the clearance available, even for a conductor rail.
Clearance for 25kV has effectively reached zero with the surge arrestor and insulating paint scheme being pursued on the valley lines.

Discontinuous electrification is probably dead in the long run as a result

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Clearance for 25kV has effectively reached zero with the surge arrestor and insulating paint scheme being pursued on the valley lines.

Possibly odd cases where there isn't room for the wire above the train? But not many.

Rhydgaled

Established Member

Hang on, if the surge arrestors and insulating paint is being used on the valley lines, why are they also doing discontinuous electrification? I guess the upfront costs and still less with discontinuous electrification, and the fact in will cost more in the long run doesn't factor in when the capital budget is what they've been given as part of the City Deal grant (plus an EU grant).

Status
Not open for further replies.