• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2021 Range - Predictions, Announcement, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Peter

Perhaps Hornby need to have a distinct 'charity' range, where the theme supports a charity, then buyers can be clear its a model that supports cause X.

I'm sure that those models would sell well for a premium, I'd buy a model if it supported a charity that I support and pay that bit extra.
I'm not sure they need a specific charity-supporting range: simply adding something something to the box and the catalogue saying "proceeds from the sale of this model go to charity xyz" would be alright.
You wouldn't be alone in paying a bit more for a model which supported a charity you liked. I'd happily pay a bit more too - but the 66731 model from Hornbt last year shows you can sell a model at normal price, donate money to charity, and (presumably) still make a profit from it. That engine cost £75 - just like any other Hornby 66.

I deserted Hattons after they cancelled all of my Bachmann pre-orders 2 years ago. Now they've got a beef with Hornby?

Kernow have been really quick with my orders
Hattons don't necessarily have 'beef' with Hornby - it turns out they have been put into Tier 3 of Hornby's tiered system regarding which retailers get what allocations of models. It's likely, but has not yet been confirmed as far as I know, that Hattons' position is as a result of their Class 66 models and their four- and six-wheeled coach ranges. The 66s are what finished relationships between Hattons and Bachmann IIRC as the latter wouldn't supply a competing manufacturer. Kernow are almost certainly in a higher tier in Hornby's system - but again, I don't know if this has been confirmed.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Hattons don't necessarily have 'beef' with Hornby - it turns out they have been put into Tier 3 of Hornby's tiered system regarding which retailers get what allocations of models. It's likely, but has not yet been confirmed as far as I know, that Hattons' position is as a result of their Class 66 models and their four- and six-wheeled coach ranges. The 66s are what finished relationships between Hattons and Bachmann IIRC as the latter wouldn't supply a competing manufacturer. Kernow are almost certainly in a higher tier in Hornby's system - but again, I don't know if this has been confirmed.

-Peter
Rails upset Hornby enough to get banned, Hattons only annoyed them enough to drop to junk status in their bottom tier 3

Peter C

Established Member
Rails upset Hornby enough to get banned, Hattons only annoyed them enough to drop to junk status in their bottom tier 3
Do we know a reason for Rails no longer stocking Hornby? It happened quite a while ago now but I still haven't found a reason for it.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Do we know a reason for Rails no longer stocking Hornby? It happened quite a while ago now but I still haven't found a reason for it.

-Peter
At a guess, making competing products, not taking all their range, etc. Harsh sanctions from Hornby who not long ago relied on these shops and may well need shops like Hattons / Rails again in the future. Sad actions by an arrogant company whilst it's doing well, forgetting history!

Peter C

Established Member
At a guess, making competing products, not taking all their range, etc. Harsh sanctions from Hornby who not long ago relied on these shops and may well need shops like Hattons / Rails again in the future. Sad actions by an arrogant company whilst it's doing well, forgetting history!
That seems to be the consensus amongst a lot of the model railway community. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened.
Hornby seem to like having two opposing views when it comes to model shops - on the one hand, they say they want to help model shops and encourage people to use them, but then on the other hand, they discourage people from using them by putting them in a bizarre tiering system based on how tidy the shop is!

-Peter

RichJF

That seems to be the consensus amongst a lot of the model railway community. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened.
Hornby seem to like having two opposing views when it comes to model shops - on the one hand, they say they want to help model shops and encourage people to use them, but then on the other hand, they discourage people from using them by putting them in a bizarre tiering system based on how tidy the shop is!

-Peter
Exactly the same issue as Airfix in the plastic kit world. Oh wait...Hornby own Airfix.

Quick to say they support local shops but the minute someone brings out something similar & better they kick up an arrogant, hissy fit.

Peter C

Established Member
Exactly the same issue as Airfix in the plastic kit world. Oh wait...Hornby own Airfix.

Quick to say they support local shops but the minute someone brings out something similar & better they kick up an arrogant, hissy fit.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. We can't expect Hornby to continue treating other manufacturers which pose a genuine threat (for want of a better term) as if they weren't presenting an opposition to their business, but they could easily go about things in a much better way than they've been doing over the past year or so.

Well China will one day steal the market by cutting out the middle man as in Hornby!
I'm certainly interested in seeing where the model railway market heads in the near future - more manufacturers coming on the scene, with all sorts of models being made, but the prices are always going up and up, and nothing new seems to be being done to get new people into the hobby.

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
The P2 model certainly looks interesting - but I've just had a look at this one (R3984 - LNER, P2 Class, 2-8-2, 2002 Earl Marischal - Era 3), and it's £209.99. I'd argue that's out of the reach of most people.
Its not out of sync with current list prices and many sellers will be knocking around £20 off it immediately and no doubt more if its sits too long on the shelves

Peter C

Established Member
Its not out of sync with current list prices and many sellers will be knocking around £20 off it immediately and no doubt more if its sits too long on the shelves
I understand that - it's just a bit too much for me to be able to afford it. It makes you wonder if the models sit on the shelves for longer because they're too expensive, or because they're poor-quality models? I suppose it depends from model to model.

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
Two issues that lead to discounting are overproduction and unpopular liveries. Hornby are often guilty of the former with too quick follow on such as the J15 and K1; they could have partly mitigated the issue by at least issuing models of the preserved locos although in the case of the K1 that would I understand need some tweaks to the tooling but I would have though Apple Green 2005s would have sold by the bucket load. Plain black locos often clutter up sale lists and more often than not they are BR early crest examples.

reddragon

Established Member
Hornby do seem to be mainly steam buffs, due to their lack of modern image availability.

The scandalous lack of HSTs or Class 800-802s in various liveries or even their freighliner wagons. 2nd hand prices are often double+ new. And why no Merchant Navy's in Southern colours?

HSTs should also be in First GW, IC, & original available widely. I can only see GWR, Scotrail, XC or NR,
Class 800s are the biggest joke. Gold dust 001,002 or Paddington, still no others, but various other 800s, 801s, 802s could be done - such variety available to do but not done and no future hope as I don't model LNER and don't want a rainbow version, come on Hornby!

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Two issues that lead to discounting are overproduction and unpopular liveries. Hornby are often guilty of the former with too quick follow on such as the J15 and K1; they could have partly mitigated the issue by at least issuing models of the preserved locos although in the case of the K1 that would I understand need some tweaks to the tooling but I would have though Apple Green 2005s would have sold by the bucket load. Plain black locos often clutter up sale lists and more often than not they are BR early crest examples.
I've got a model of 6021 King Richard II from Hornby (Hattons link) and whilst it's already a lovely model - and as far as I'm aware, it sold pretty well - but I don't think it would have been the end of the world if Hornby had made a model of 6023 King Edward II instead, given that engine is fairly well-known within the preservation scene and carries that same livery.
I totally agree with you with regards to the BR black livery issue. Whilst black may have been, in some form or another, been one of, if not the most common steam loco livery in the 20th century (and even now in preservation), it speaks volumes that the models which tend to be left sitting around on shelves are BR black examples.

Hornby do seem to be mainly steam buffs, due to their lack of modern image availability.

The scandalous lack of HSTs or Class 800-802s in various liveries or even their freighliner wagons. 2nd hand prices are often double+ new. And why no Merchant Navy's in Southern colours?

HSTs should also be in First GW, IC, & original available widely. I can only see GWR, Scotrail, XC or NR,
Class 800s are the biggest joke. Gold dust 001,002 or Paddington, still no others, but various other 800s, 801s, 802s could be done - such variety available to do but not done and no future hope as I don't model LNER and don't want a rainbow version, come on Hornby!
We're in total agreement on this one. I think the most modern model Hornby's made is probably the Class 800, and the most modern model they've made which you can actually get your hands on is probably something like a Class 66 or 67? There are models of other engines/units which have been made by Hornby in modern liveries, but the design of said engine/unit is much older (i.e. the Class 153 model from 2008 which they made in East Midlands Trains (ex-Central Trains) livery, and re-released in 2019 or 2020 for ~£70).

Hornby have made HSTs in various liveries in the past, including FGW "Barbie" and Virgin (and Virgin CrossCountry?), but they're older toolings. To find a model of the original Great Western HST, you'll need to go back to Lima models. As far as I'm aware, Hornby have only ever made their Class 800 available in a full five-car set three times - the first time was when the model was new, the second time for the Paddington version, and the third time for the GWR Trainbow 800008 model in the 2021 range. There's no Class 802 to be had from what I can see, unless you buy two five-car sets and make one up yourself.
They do make a Merchant Navy in malachite green, but it's from the Dublo range, costs in excess of £200, and has "sold out on pre-order" with Hattons: https://www.hattons.co.uk/619195/ho...br_malachite_green_with_brit/stockdetail.aspx
https://www.hattons.co.uk/619195/hornby_r3970_class_8p_merchant_navy_4_6_2_35016_elders_fyffes_in_br_malachite_green_with_brit/stockdetail.aspx said:

Hornby R3970 Class 8P 'Merchant Navy' 4-6-2 35016 "Elders Fyffes" in BR malachite green with British Railways lettering - Hornby Dublo range with Diecast body - Sold out on pre-order​

1623576934593.png
1623576944443.png
Hornby R3970
OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)
Class 8P 'Merchant Navy' 4-6-2 35016 "Elders Fyffes" in BR malachite green with British Railways lettering - Hornby Dublo range with Diecast body - Sold out on pre-order
DCC Ready. 8-pin socket

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I've got a model of 6021 King Richard II from Hornby (Hattons link) and whilst it's already a lovely model - and as far as I'm aware, it sold pretty well - but I don't think it would have been the end of the world if Hornby had made a model of 6023 King Edward II instead, given that engine is fairly well-known within the preservation scene and carries that same livery.
I totally agree with you with regards to the BR black livery issue. Whilst black may have been, in some form or another, been one of, if not the most common steam loco livery in the 20th century (and even now in preservation), it speaks volumes that the models which tend to be left sitting around on shelves are BR black examples.

We're in total agreement on this one. I think the most modern model Hornby's made is probably the Class 800, and the most modern model they've made which you can actually get your hands on is probably something like a Class 66 or 67? There are models of other engines/units which have been made by Hornby in modern liveries, but the design of said engine/unit is much older (i.e. the Class 153 model from 2008 which they made in East Midlands Trains (ex-Central Trains) livery, and re-released in 2019 or 2020 for ~£70).

Hornby have made HSTs in various liveries in the past, including FGW "Barbie" and Virgin (and Virgin CrossCountry?), but they're older toolings. To find a model of the original Great Western HST, you'll need to go back to Lima models. As far as I'm aware, Hornby have only ever made their Class 800 available in a full five-car set three times - the first time was when the model was new, the second time for the Paddington version, and the third time for the GWR Trainbow 800008 model in the 2021 range. There's no Class 802 to be had from what I can see, unless you buy two five-car sets and make one up yourself.
They do make a Merchant Navy in malachite green, but it's from the Dublo range, costs in excess of £200, and has "sold out on pre-order" with Hattons: https://www.hattons.co.uk/619195/ho...br_malachite_green_with_brit/stockdetail.aspx

-Peter
The Dublo MN is still British Railways and not Southern!

Iskra

Established Member
I agree about the over production of Early BR liveries. I think most steam fans go for late BR steam, because then you can plausibly run diesel locomotives on the same layout.

-Peter
I totally agree about Hornby's approach to modern image. It seems to make little sense and they are losing a lot of business. However, it does seem to allow them to keep prices high, whereas if they over-produce or saturate the market it could force prices downwards. They seem happy to leave modern image to other suppliers, when they are best placed to maximise sales from such models. They also don't seem to maximise use of toolings by producing more livery versions from them, which is just wasteful and inefficient business really. The strategy is just all wrong, but maybe that's why they are in the financial mess they are?

reddragon

Established Member
The best example of that is the Hattons 66, available in every livery / number variation imaginable. Even the Dapol / Heljan 52s are available in almost every loco number.

Iskra

Established Member
The best example of that is the Hattons 66, available in every livery / number variation imaginable. Even the Dapol / Heljan 52s are available in almost every loco number.
Yeah Heljan do a lot of liveries for their 26/27/33’s and they are basically the same body shell too.

Same with Dapol and 21’s/29’s.

The smaller manufacturers seem a lot smarter in this area.

Established Member

I do feel the MML has been slightly left out in terms of HST's with EMT one being around 11 years old now but at least it's not to difficult making a EMR red set. Personally I would love a EMT buffer power cars in the revised livery.

The 800's have come out in different packs with them either being the full 5 cars or the ends and separate coach pack. So far there has been:
800001 - Hitachi (ends and coach pack)
800003 - GWR (end and coach pack)
800004 - GWR (full 5 coach)
800010 - Paddington (full 5 coach)

With the following on the way:
800/1 - LNER
800104 - LNER Celebrating Scotland
800008 - GWR Pride
TPE's 802's is mentioned in the 2020 catalogue. Personally I would like to see the 802's produced as the TPE ones would sit nicely with the 68's from Dapol along with Hull Trains and if really needed another GWR one could be produced.

Hornby seem to be doing every livery on a 66 as well over the last few years. Dapol is also doing another round of 68's. Won't be long until all 33 will have a model!

DB

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. We can't expect Hornby to continue treating other manufacturers which pose a genuine threat (for want of a better term) as if they weren't presenting an opposition to their business,

Hattons isn't a manufacturer, but then neither is Hornby - both commission the models from factories in China. The change from 'manufacturer' to 'middleman' means effectively that anyone with sufficient knowledge of the subject can commission models - and a few smaller players have done so very successfully (e.g. Realtrack, Revolution Trains).

Not sure what Hornby is gaining by making it a matter for disagreement - Rails and Hattons are the two biggest online retailers and it's surely in Hornby's own interests for them to have a good stock of Hornby products? Limiting supplies based on production runs doesn't make a lot of sense either - if there is more demand than supply, order a larger batch! Obviously it's going to depend what the model is, but some things are a pretty safe bet. All that is likely to happen if Hornby make it an issue is that more models will get commissioned by the sellers directly, leading to increased direct competition.

I'm actualy surprised how well the market still seems to be doing given the way prices have massively increased over the past decade at way above inflation. e.g. the HST power cars, which a decade ago (when the toooling was new, so wouldn't have paid for itself) could be bought for around 100-120 quid a pair. Recent batches are in the range of around 260-300 quid! Possibly this is being sustained by a generation who have retired relatively early with good pensions - it remains to be seen whether it's sustainable in the long term.

Established Member
I deserted Hattons after they cancelled all of my Bachmann pre-orders 2 years ago. Now they've got a beef with Hornby?

Kernow have been really quick with my orders

My Hattons pre-order for a Corgi product was cancelled last month, eight days after it was placed. The reason given was the inability to acquire the stock to fulfil my order.

Thankfully, I was able to pre-order it directly from Corgi instead.

Peter C

Established Member
I totally agree about Hornby's approach to modern image. It seems to make little sense and they are losing a lot of business. However, it does seem to allow them to keep prices high, whereas if they over-produce or saturate the market it could force prices downwards. They seem happy to leave modern image to other suppliers, when they are best placed to maximise sales from such models. They also don't seem to maximise use of toolings by producing more livery versions from them, which is just wasteful and inefficient business really. The strategy is just all wrong, but maybe that's why they are in the financial mess they are?
Hornby have shown, through their Class 800 models, that they can produce modern-image stock and that people will buy it (even if it is expensive). But as @reddragon says, they've also shown that they don't seem to want to get involved with many other modern image units, or even locomotives in new liveries - a Grand Central Class 90 for example.
The company has apparently made quite the profit during, and then following, lockdown(s), which is obviously good for Hornby as a business but not for the consumers who bought those expensive 'hamper' starter kits. But I digress... ;)

I do feel the MML has been slightly left out in terms of HST's with EMT one being around 11 years old now but at least it's not to difficult making a EMR red set. Personally I would love a EMT buffer power cars in the revised livery.
I think there's still a market for new EMR HST liveries from Hornby, even though the real things have gone from the MML. I've not got one due to the cost, but from what I've heard, a lot of people regard the Hornby HST has being a very decent model but the price puts many people off getting more.

The 800's have come out in different packs with them either being the full 5 cars or the ends and separate coach pack. So far there has been:
800001 - Hitachi (ends and coach pack)
800003 - GWR (end and coach pack)
800004 - GWR (full 5 coach)
800010 - Paddington (full 5 coach)
Ah yes - I'd forgotten about the Hitachi white livery version. The problem with those packs where you get the end cars and then the middle cars separately is that one seems to sell out before the other, or they all get bought too quickly and so you can't find half a set, let alone a full one. And when you do find a full IET for sale, they're very expensive (especially for a unit which, from what I've seen, can't even couple to another of the same model without some bodging).

With the following on the way:
800/1 - LNER
800104 - LNER Celebrating Scotland
800008 - GWR Pride
TPE's 802's is mentioned in the 2020 catalogue. Personally I would like to see the 802's produced as the TPE ones would sit nicely with the 68's from Dapol along with Hull Trains and if really needed another GWR one could be produced.
Now this is all good to see - especially the TPE 802s as they could really compliment Dapol's 68s, as you say. But why they're making two LNER versions, and only the one GWR version, when runs of the latter have kept selling out, is a bit odd. I suppose having a GWR one in some form is nice though - and the rainbow breaks up the green a bit!

Hornby seem to be doing every livery on a 66 as well over the last few years. Dapol is also doing another round of 68's. Won't be long until all 33 will have a model!
The Hornby 66 is the old Lima tooling with a DCC decoder socket fitted and, I think, an updated motor. They're £75 from Hornby, and some places are trying to get closer to £90 for them - especially second-hand. Mine required the addition of an extra weight to it so it would work properly: from what I remember, it didn't have any form of weight in it to begin with. Hornby proved with their Captain Tom Moore 66731 model last year that they could sell those models for the usual £75 price, and donate a lot of the money made from the sale of those models to charity - all whilst presumably making a profit as they're not a charity after all. Given most Lima models seem to sell online for around £40/£50, and Hornby have previously demonstrated that they can sell older models for that sort of price (GWR 14xx for one - £50 a few years ago IIRC and sold out incredibly quickly compared to other models at the time).

The Dapol 68s are very nice models - much better than the Hornby 66s - and unlike some other Dapol products I've seen online, they don't seem to have many, if any issues. However, they have been released before and it might have been nice to see some sort of Class 88 made? I expect that would be a lot of work but it wouldn't require a complete re-tooling.

Hattons isn't a manufacturer, but then neither is Hornby - both commission the models from factories in China. The change from 'manufacturer' to 'middleman' means effectively that anyone with sufficient knowledge of the subject can commission models - and a few smaller players have done so very successfully (e.g. Realtrack, Revolution Trains).
And you can even take that down to anyone who has enough money can commission models - look at Jennifer E. Kirk's Monday Club Accurascale wagon commission, based on her Monday night livestreams. Only a couple of people behind the commission - apart from Accurascale and Rails of Sheffield, of course - although the latter are only selling the items and have no say in the processes behind their manufacture/design from what I remember.

Not sure what Hornby is gaining by making it a matter for disagreement - Rails and Hattons are the two biggest online retailers and it's surely in Hornby's own interests for them to have a good stock of Hornby products? Limiting supplies based on production runs doesn't make a lot of sense either - if there is more demand than supply, order a larger batch! Obviously it's going to depend what the model is, but some things are a pretty safe bet. All that is likely to happen if Hornby make it an issue is that more models will get commissioned by the sellers directly, leading to increased direct competition.
Hornby seem to now be operating under a policy of directing as many people as possible to their own site. If this means treating shops and retailers with decent allocations of models only if they are clean and stock plenty of Hornby Hobbies products, then so be it in their eyes.
Despite the Hornby-Rails falling-out being quite a long time ago now, I've not found a reason for it. Hattons cancelling pre-orders turned out to be Hornby's bizarre tiering system for retailers. Hornby has always made limited production runs of models they know will be popular - their 66731 model is a perfect example of this. Bachmann have since said they'll make their own - and I think it's been released already?

I'm actualy surprised how well the market still seems to be doing given the way prices have massively increased over the past decade at way above inflation. e.g. the HST power cars, which a decade ago (when the toooling was new, so wouldn't have paid for itself) could be bought for around 100-120 quid a pair. Recent batches are in the range of around 260-300 quid! Possibly this is being sustained by a generation who have retired relatively early with good pensions - it remains to be seen whether it's sustainable in the long term.
A lot of my issues with model railways, despite continuing to enjoy the hobby, stem from the price issue. I've not got a large budget, and so second-hand models are often the way to find a particular class I'd like to get. If I can't afford a new model in a particular livery, I'm more than happy to take a paintbrush to an old Lima example and make one myself.
Prices have gone up massively since the early-2000s. One reason people give for this is that model manufacturers were charging old prices for new models, and then realised what they should 'actually' be charging, but I personally see it as just people wanting to make as much money as they can by charging too much for basic models a lot of the time. At some point, the generation with plenty of money will, shall we say, leave the hobby and the companies will need to find a way of targeting their new main demographic before they go under.

-Peter

DB

I think there's still a market for new EMR HST liveries from Hornby, even though the real things have gone from the MML. I've not got one due to the cost, but from what I've heard, a lot of people regard the Hornby HST has being a very decent model but the price puts many people off getting more.

They've done most of the 'proper' liveries (i.e. excluding temporary rebrandings such as EMT to EMR) at one time or another with the current models. Think the first three (F)GW and second (blue) MML liveries are the only substantial ones missing, excluding one-offs. Some haven't been done for quite a while though. Their logic is sometimes strange - e.g. this year doing the LNER set which was repainted into the original livery and only did a few days of railtours in this livery.

The Dapol 68s are very nice models - much better than the Hornby 66s - and unlike some other Dapol products I've seen online, they don't seem to have many, if any issues. However, they have been released before and it might have been nice to see some sort of Class 88 made? I expect that would be a lot of work but it wouldn't require a complete re-tooling.

The Dapol 68 is an excellent model, in both OO and N gauge - definitely a contender for the best model diesel on the market. Dapol seem to have got issues with models sorted now - for quite a while the circuit boards in the N gauge models were crap and frequent causes of problems. In the past few years they've upped their game with this though and they are much better - visibly they look much more professional, and the issues have largely gone away.

An 88 likely would require a complete retool - about the only element which could probably be used is the bogies. Although they look superficially very similar to the 68 due to the cabs and bogies being the same, look at them together and there are a lot of differences - the 88 is slightly longer, the underframe is different, and the bodyside and roof detail is completely different.

A lot of my issues with model railways, despite continuing to enjoy the hobby, stem from the price issue. I've not got a large budget, and so second-hand models are often the way to find a particular class I'd like to get.

Indeed - but the second-hand market seems to have gone mad in the past 18 months too, and some models which were produced recently (but are now sold out new) go for considerably more than their original price.

Peter C

Established Member
They've done most of the 'proper' liveries (i.e. excluding temporary rebrandings such as EMT to EMR) at one time or another with the current models. Think the first three (F)GW and second (blue) MML liveries are the only substantial ones missing, excluding one-offs. Some haven't been done for quite a while though. Their logic is sometimes strange - e.g. this year doing the LNER set which was repainted into the original livery and only did a few days of railtours in this livery.
It does beg the question of if they're going to make the LNER HST Farewell set, then why not something like an EMR Red HST set, or even EMR ex-EMT? Those last two were around for longer on the mainline than the LNER set. I'm sure they could make a limited edition version of a temporarily-rebranded power car if they wanted.

The Dapol 68 is an excellent model, in both OO and N gauge - definitely a contender for the best model diesel on the market. Dapol seem to have got issues with models sorted now - for quite a while the circuit boards in the N gauge models were crap and frequent causes of problems. In the past few years they've upped their game with this though and they are much better - visibly they look much more professional, and the issues have largely gone away.
I wonder if this re-run of their 68s has been caused, at least in part, by people buying all of those TPE ones for use with the Accurascale Mk5s? ;)
They are lovely models. I just wish someone would make some Chiltern Mk3s and a DVT - Hornby did a Wrexham & Shropshire Mk3 DVT a few years ago but now they're impossible to find. It wouldn't be a massive change - just remove the W&S branding, and replace it with a Chiltern Railways equivalent, if they can get necessary rights/licenses to do so of course.

An 88 likely would require a complete retool - about the only element which could probably be used is the bogies. Although they look superficially very similar to the 68 due to the cabs and bogies being the same, look at them together and there are a lot of differences - the 88 is slightly longer, the underframe is different, and the bodyside and roof detail is completely different.
Ah - thanks for explaining. :) I didn't know they were that different!

Indeed - but the second-hand market seems to have gone mad in the past 18 months too, and some models which were produced recently (but are now sold out new) go for considerably more than their original price.
A lot of people - myself included - are putting this down to the lockdown(s). People go through their lofts, find all sorts of old rubbish, and sell them at new prices - repeat until the prices inflate so much that you're paying more for a used model than for a new model.

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
Dapol are a strange outfit; in OO you have the excellent 68 but a woeful 73, many with pick up problems and liveries which if you might look right looking at the model with sunglasses on. I had my sights on the Pullman ones they were doing for Gaugemaster but did not buy due to the poor lettering on the model with spacing and/or fonts wrong.

Peter C

Established Member
Dapol are a strange outfit; in OO you have the excellent 68 but a woeful 73, many with pick up problems and liveries which if you might look right looking at the model with sunglasses on. I had my sights on the Pullman ones they were doing for Gaugemaster but did not buy due to the poor lettering on the model with spacing and/or fonts wrong.
As with seemingly every new model, there are broadly two groups - one group which thinks the model is brilliant, and can't understand where the other is coming from, and the second which thinks the model is a pile of rubbish and doesn't work properly. Sam's Trains is a particular YouTuber who seems to have an awful lot of bad luck with models, including his Dapol 73. He's from the more extreme end of the second group, and almost ridicules manufacturers at points, especially if he's reviewed 'poor' products from them before.
Getting something as important as spacing and typefaces on models wrong isn't acceptable now, considering not only the vast amount of source material available, but also the ability of computers to produce accurate graphics. Hornby don't seem to have had this issue as much as Dapol - if we're not counting their radioactively-luminescent GBRf Class 50s... ;)

-Peter

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if a 43102 & 43274 pack is produced next year being the last pair out of London. They are a decent models and most if not all the changes between companies are represented (roof detail, headlights etc.). I wonder if there could be a market for a cheaper version using the Lima tooling similar to the 66's.

Ah yes - I'd forgotten about the Hitachi white livery version. The problem with those packs where you get the end cars and then the middle cars separately is that one seems to sell out before the other, or they all get bought too quickly and so you can't find half a set, let alone a full one. And when you do find a full IET for sale, they're very expensive (especially for a unit which, from what I've seen, can't even couple to another of the same model without some bodging).
Very true. Looking on ebay now I can see some coach packs but no end's on there own.

Now this is all good to see - especially the TPE 802s as they could really compliment Dapol's 68s, as you say. But why they're making two LNER versions, and only the one GWR version, when runs of the latter have kept selling out, is a bit odd. I suppose having a GWR one in some form is nice though - and the rainbow breaks up the green a bit!
The TPE set has only been mentioned and unfortunately not a product at the moment. Maybe it shows they have considered it and one day it may become reality. Not sure how many changes are required to make a 800 into a 802. I'm sure the LNER ones will be just as popular as the GWR sets as over the last few years there has been 3? runs of LNER mk3's.

The Hornby 66 is the old Lima tooling with a DCC decoder socket fitted and, I think, an updated motor. They're £75 from Hornby, and some places are trying to get closer to £90 for them - especially second-hand. Mine required the addition of an extra weight to it so it would work properly: from what I remember, it didn't have any form of weight in it to begin with. Hornby proved with their Captain Tom Moore 66731 model last year that they could sell those models for the usual £75 price, and donate a lot of the money made from the sale of those models to charity - all whilst presumably making a profit as they're not a charity after all. Given most Lima models seem to sell online for around £40/£50, and Hornby have previously demonstrated that they can sell older models for that sort of price (GWR 14xx for one - £50 a few years ago IIRC and sold out incredibly quickly compared to other models at the time).
So far I haven't had any issues with my 66 but that might be because rakes are quite light.

SCH117X

Established Member
Sam's Trains is a particular YouTuber who seems to have an awful lot of bad luck with models, including his Dapol 73. He's from the more extreme end of the second group, and almost ridicules manufacturers at points, especially if he's reviewed 'poor' products from them before.
I would not put any weight on his reviews - watched one where he criticised the poor running and haulage ability of a loco after first taking it apart and claiming he had put it back together correctly. He also had no idea what the actual haulage ability of the real thing which would never have managed to pull what he was disappointed the model could not.

DB

I wouldn't be surprised if a 43102 & 43274 pack is produced next year being the last pair out of London.

That would indeed seem likely,

They are a decent models and most if not all the changes between companies are represented (roof detail, headlights etc.).

The one thing they've not done is the MML-style 3-aspect headlights. Only one model so far which should have had them, in EMT livery, and they just used the original type with a black surround for that - didn't look too bad, but was clearly not accurate.

I wonder if there could be a market for a cheaper version using the Lima tooling similar to the 66's.

They have done - there was a pair in original Virgin livery about 10 years ago, and within the past couple of years a pair in original blue/yellow livery and a trainset in GWR greem.

Very true. Looking on ebay now I can see some coach packs but no end's on there own.

Possibly people buying just end cars for use as static models?

The TPE set has only been mentioned and unfortunately not a product at the moment.

Suspect they will do it in the next year or two - it's an obvious money-spinner.

Peter C

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if a 43102 & 43274 pack is produced next year being the last pair out of London. They are a decent models and most if not all the changes between companies are represented (roof detail, headlights etc.). I wonder if there could be a market for a cheaper version using the Lima tooling similar to the 66's.
They did it with the last GWR HST out of Paddington (the "Flying Banana" railtour), so an EMR HST version could be done, surely. They've already re-done the Lima HST in the form of a GWR set, but it has the wrong headlight configuration for an MTU HST and would require a bit of repainting or re-tooling to make it accurate. I'd certainly buy a more accurate one.

The TPE set has only been mentioned and unfortunately not a product at the moment. Maybe it shows they have considered it and one day it may become reality. Not sure how many changes are required to make a 800 into a 802. I'm sure the LNER ones will be just as popular as the GWR sets as over the last few years there has been 3? runs of LNER mk3's.
Ah OK - thanks for clarifying :)
I do hope they'll make a TPE 802: it would be a nice addition to the IET range. But the price would be prohibitive for many I expect!

So far I haven't had any issues with my 66 but that might be because rakes are quite light.
I think my issues came from the superelevated curves on my layout, but I'm not sure.

I would not put any weight on his reviews - watched one where he criticised the poor running and haulage ability of a loco after first taking it apart and claiming he had put it back together correctly. He also had no idea what the actual haulage ability of the real thing which would never have managed to pull what he was disappointed the model could not.
Same here - his reviews are hardly balanced. He also has a very basic knowledge of modern stock from what I've seen of his reviews, which means his videos of modern-image locos/units are mostly based on what he expects/assumes a model will be like, rather than what it should be like in relation to its real counterpart.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.