• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How could Lumo expand/develop/improve?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that if their plan is approved, Luno would be going into Queen Street? I think this would make a lot of sense!
I also observed while travelling First Class yesterday from Dundee to London, a lot of people got on at Edinburgh but then it mostly cleared out at Newcastle! Not many people were left travelling onto London. Is there a significant flow between Edinburgh and Newcastle or would many of the people likely have come from connecting services i.e. from Glasgow? This would siggest that Lumo would cater for this flow if it is mostly from Newcastle northwards.

Established Member
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that if their plan is approved, Luno would be going into Queen Street? I think this would make a lot of sense!
I also observed while travelling First Class yesterday from Dundee to London, a lot of people got on at Edinburgh but then it mostly cleared out at Newcastle! Not many people were left travelling onto London. Is there a significant flow between Edinburgh and Newcastle or would many of the people likely have come from connecting services i.e. from Glasgow? This would siggest that Lumo would cater for this flow if it is mostly from Newcastle northwards.
Cleared out at Newcastle? Are you sure on a Sunday? Most LNER trains are full all day.

najaB

Veteran Member
I also observed while travelling First Class yesterday from Dundee to London, a lot of people got on at Edinburgh but then it mostly cleared out at Newcastle! Not many people were left travelling onto London.
Was there some specific event on in Newcastle? It's been a while since I travelled down to London on a Sunday but the trains always used to be quite busy all the way.

takno

Established Member
I'd say that's pretty unusual. There certainly is some traffic from Edinburgh to Newcastle, and from points north to Newcastle on the trains which go further afield, but it's normally a small fraction of the people travelling from Edinburgh, and in general it's replaced by additional people getting on at Newcastle.

danbarjon

I know that for me personally when I go Glasgow as often as I do I would much prefer a Newcastle to Glasgow QS train rather than Newcastle - Glasgow QS with a change at Edinburgh. Lumo will definitely gain some regular travellers from me and my family.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I know that for me personally when I go Glasgow as often as I do I would much prefer a Newcastle to Glasgow QS train rather than Newcastle - Edinburgh - Glasgow QS. Lumo will definitely gain some regular travellers from me and my family.
It took me a moment to parse that as a preference for a through train rather than changing at Edinburgh, since that through train also passes through Edinburgh.

ScotTrains

Newcastle is a popular destination for Glaswegians and with very few direct LNER and XC services now, most people will change at Edinburgh. I think the Lumo service will be very popular from Glasgow.
It just a shame they don't do 1st class as those leisure passenger including myself will still prefer to change at Edinburgh onto a better, 1st class train.

It'll be interesting to see how many Glasgow to Edinburgh passengers choose Lumo over Scotrail especially since Scotrail removed the previously very popular catering service! Perhaps it'll force them to reinstate it!

TheWalrus

Established Member
Yea I’m sure, there was still a number of us after Newcastle but it was pretty full between Edinburgh and Newcastle, a lot like I say cleared out there. I expected it to be busy after Newcastle too.