• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How *should* HS2 have been built?

matacaster

On Moderation
Perhaps extend some st pancras to Sheffield services to Leeds using bi-mode. There used to be some such services, but they seemed to have largely disappeared once electrification of wcml was complete. I used to prefer that service even though it's slower (remember it's about capacity) as it was cheaper and scenery is more interesting than the rather bland ecml

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps extend some st pancras to Sheffield services to Leeds using bi-mode. There used to be some such services, but they seemed to have largely disappeared once electrification of wcml was complete. I used to prefer that service even though it's slower (remember it's about capacity) as it was cheaper and scenery is more interesting than the rather bland ecml
They would be so much slower that noone would use them!

They'd have to be so cheap (to convince anyone to use them) that a classic rail service would just turn into a subsidy pit.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Curzon Street - why ?. That was the site of the original London to Birmingham main line and it got superceded by Birmingham New Street - a through station (maybe once steam engines were man enough to make it beyond Curzon Street without requiring a loco change ?). Why on earth are we repeating the same backwards step of a terminus ?. Surely HS2 trains to Birmingham should at least proceed as far as Wolverhampton ?. They could then proceed beyond to anywhere further North with more bits of HS2 added as the appetite requires. Probably a tunnel each side of Curzon Street (if that was the ideal site - I am not sure it is) with a slightly sub surface station.

I have always thought the former Great Western route through Bordesley, Moor Street, Snow Hill and beyond to Wolverhampton looked like a nice straight line so what a waste it is for trams and trains that could not fit into New Street. Rewind thirty-ish years and it was sitting there unused and so that was the time to build HS2. Hindsight !.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Curzon Street - why ?. That was the site of the original London to Birmingham main line and it got superceded by Birmingham New Street - a through station (maybe once steam engines were man enough to make it beyond Curzon Street without requiring a loco change ?). Why on earth are we repeating the same backwards step of a terminus ?. Surely HS2 trains to Birmingham should at least proceed as far as Wolverhampton ?. They could then proceed beyond to anywhere further North with more bits of HS2 added as the appetite requires. Probably a tunnel each side of Curzon Street (if that was the ideal site - I am not sure it is) with a slightly sub surface station.

I have always thought the former Great Western route through Bordesley, Moor Street, Snow Hill and beyond to Wolverhampton looked like a nice straight line so what a waste it is for trams and trains that could not fit into New Street. Rewind thirty-ish years and it was sitting there unused and so that was the time to build HS2. Hindsight !.
All of those routes were looked at though.

Energy

Established Member
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-information-papers-route-development Pages 16-18 of the A1 document discuss the various options for stations and routes in and out of Birmingham.
TLDR an underground tunnel was considered too expensive and New Street modifications would be very disruptive to existing services, the current route would require the least demolition out of the surface routes.

Here is the routes for north of Birmingham as well, Reverse 'S' being my personally preference.

1696185995302.png

Peter Sarf

Established Member
TLDR an underground tunnel was considered too expensive and New Street modifications would be very disruptive to existing services, the current route would require the least demolition out of the surface routes.

Here is the routes for north of Birmingham as well, Reverse 'S' being my personally preference.

View attachment 143911
The current works started more or less cover the common part of all three (ignoring the grainyness round Birmingham ?).

I too think the reverse S would have been tempting. Get to Manchester and then work it out from there. A new trans-Pennine route would obviously fit the reverse S. Reverse E is daft. Manchester has got to be next priority after Birmingham !. Then its really a matter of Scotland direct through/by ?Manchester or via the ECML.

Something vaguely following the WCML is the most likely because the more major towns grew up along the WCML. Yawning gap between Manchester and Scotland though plus a now promised (they say) trans-Pennine route makes via Leeds and Newcastle tempting.

matacaster

On Moderation
I would have considered closing the road adjacent to st pancras (or building a mezzanine floor above it). That would allow at least two additional platforms at st pancras outside the main train shed. This would allow easy access to tubd network and Eurostar. These could perhaps be used for Scottish trains via HS2. Another thought is new platforms between kings cross and at pancras.
Thoughts?

Magdalia

Established Member
I would have considered closing the road adjacent to st pancras (or building a mezzanine floor above it). That would allow at least two additional platforms at st pancras outside the main train shed. This would allow easy access to tubd network and Eurostar. These could perhaps be used for Scottish trains via HS2. Another thought is new platforms between kings cross and at pancras.
Thoughts?
Both have already been done. The East Midlands platforms (1-4) take up the space on the west side of St Pancras and the Javelin platforms (11-13) on the east side. And that's been done without completely ruining the external appearance of the Barlow trainshed from Midland Road and Pancras Road.

matacaster

On Moderation
Both have already been done. The East Midlands platforms (1-4) take up the space on the west side of St Pancras and the Javelin platforms (11-13) on the east side. And that's been done without completely ruining the external appearance of the Barlow trainshed from Midland Road and Pancras Road.
I meant closing the road alongside and outside the trainshed (st pancras road?).

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I meant closing the road alongside and outside the trainshed (st pancras road?).
Yes the platforms would have to be the full length of the whole station so not as short as those for the MML and HS1 domestic services. I suspect that makes it too cumbersome to fit down the side of St Pancras.

JamesT

Established Member
Either Pancras Road (in-between the two stations) or Midland Road (the other side of the station).
Maybe you can fit two platforms in (though trying to stick something on the side might be tricky with everything built up around). Where are the other 8 platforms for a London HS2 terminus going?
Euston was chosen specifically because of all the central London stations, it was the one with the most available space.

RobShipway

Established Member
Yes the platforms would have to be the full length of the whole station so not as short as those for the MML and HS1 domestic services. I suspect that makes it too cumbersome to fit down the side of St Pancras.
What about underground alongside the Thameslink platforms at Kings Cross St Pancras or is there not the space?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
What about underground alongside the Thameslink platforms at Kings Cross St Pancras or is there not the space?
I think the Thameslink station is under the road that runs alongside (West) St Pancras station.

Finding space under deep foundations is a challenge. In an ideal world a through station would have been built somewhere in central London but I think the better way to spend that money would be on another Crossrail route.

A terminus close to the Elizabeth line BUT in central London would have been better than Old Oak Common. Old Oak Common slows down the service from London and only connects with one other transport Corridor (Elizabeth line and GWML) would have been better if it connected with more tube lines. Old Oak Common also undermines the justification for building Euston and this may haunt HS2 soon - I really hope not.

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
At the north end of the station the Javelin platforms are in the way.

And, if you close Pancras Road, what is your alternative proposal for circulating taxis to and from Eurostar departures and the Kings Cross Western Concourse?

RobShipway

Established Member
I think the Thameslink station is under the road that runs alongside (West) St Pancras station.

Finding space under deep foundations is a challenge. In an ideal world a through station would have been built somewhere in central London but I think the better way to spend that money would be on another Crossrail route.

A terminus close to the Elizabeth line BUT in central London would have been better than Old Oak Common. Old Oak Common slows down the service from London and only connects with one other transport Corridor (Elizabeth line and GWML) would have been better if it connected with more tube lines. Old Oak Common also undermines the justification for building Euston and this may haunt HS2 soon - I really hope not.
But Old Oak Common gives you the link that is required for change to Heathrow Airport, without having t go into central London if you are travelling down from Birmingham.

At the north end of the station the Javelin platforms are in the way.

And, if you close Pancras Road, what is your alternative proposal for circulating taxis to and from Eurostar departures and the Kings Cross Western Concourse?
That is why if HS2 was to go to St Pancras, then it would be underground and it would have to be going under underground much of London anyway from Old Oak Common to get to St Pancras.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That is why if HS2 was to go to St Pancras, then it would be underground and it would have to be going under underground much of London anyway from Old Oak Common to get to St Pancras.

The problem with putting Euston underground is that there's nothing sensible to connect it to on the other side of London. All the major intercity routes come into the north and west of London, nothing comes into the south, it's all low speed commuter routes.

"But connect it to HS1" doesn't make much sense as you'll never get the demand for more than a couple of trains an hour through the Tunnel, and HS1 domestic is a fancy commuter route and doesn't need 400km/h 400m trains ten times an hour.

There would be logic to putting the Brum and Manchester stations in tunnel, but for London only a terminus really makes any sense.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Given the progress in tunnel boring machines, building a deep underground terminus is not as comically expensive as it once would have been.

We almost have the tunnel boring machines necessary to bore out the LIRR Grand Central Madison terminus caverns in one go (19m-20m tunnel boring machines have been ordered).

You could build an underground terminus with two or even four platforms per tunnel and the only construction in the centre of the city would be the vertical access shaft and other bits like that.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
But Old Oak Common gives you the link that is required for change to Heathrow Airport, without having t go into central London if you are travelling down from Birmingham.

I just wonder how significant the Heathrow market is - will it justify slowing down all the trains from Euston ?. Remember the passengers to-from Heathrow will be on the Elizabeth line anyway so why not make them change in central London with a terminus on the Elizabeth Line. Farringdon would be good as the Thameslink route is there also. But what space ?.

Yes the HS2 line will be underground already but looking at the footprint of the Euston HS2 station that is a lot of space required - about 10 platforms iirc ?. So its not going to get slipped in underground easily. A lot of buildings have been demolished on the West side of Euston to fit in the HS2 platforms.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There is not the space. There’s an awful lot down there.

I just wonder how significant the Heathrow market is - will it justify slowing down all the trains from Euston ?.

The Heathrow market is basically a side show in terms of the passengers that will use OOC. If Heathrow didn’t exist, the HS2 trains would still be stopping there.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Given the progress in tunnel boring machines, building a deep underground terminus is not as comically expensive as it once would have been.

We almost have the tunnel boring machines necessary to bore out the LIRR Grand Central Madison terminus caverns in one go (19m-20m tunnel boring machines have been ordered).

You could build an underground terminus with two or even four platforms per tunnel and the only construction in the centre of the city would be the vertical access shaft and other bits like that.
The issue will be fire access. King's Cross is a particularly sensitive subject on that for obvious reasons, but given the passenger numbers and the depth such a station would need to be at to avoid the tube, utilities, and British Library basement, safe evacuation times would be a major concern.

The Ham

Established Member
The Heathrow market is basically a side show in terms of the passengers that will use OOC. If Heathrow didn’t exist, the HS2 trains would still be stopping there.

Old Oak Common would be very useful for those traveling to/from Berkshire, Hampshire and Surrey who normally travel through Reading.

The journey time Southampton to Manchester (even using existing services to get to OOC - once the extra stop is added) improves quite a bit.

matacaster

On Moderation
They would be so much slower that noone would use them!

They'd have to be so cheap (to convince anyone to use them) that a classic rail service would just turn into a subsidy pit.
Ah, but it's about capacity we hear. I found the time on MML perfectly ok for a leisure trip to London.

Commuter traffic is all about reaching your destination as quickly as possible, so the view doesn't matter. With leisure travel by train, the view does matter. Travelling at any speed in a long tunnel is really grim and not my idea of a day out to London. People will point to Channel tunnel as being acceptable, but the obvious alternative of a sea crossing is far worse.
I guess less tunnelling would be the answer.

Last edited:

Wychwood93

Old Oak Common would be very useful for those traveling to/from Berkshire, Hampshire and Surrey who normally travel through Reading.

The journey time Southampton to Manchester (even using existing services to get to OOC - once the extra stop is added) improves quite a bit.
With regard to Southampton/Manchester - the overall time would be quicker compared to the current ~4h 15 but, you end up with two changes. Not too bad as a solo traveller, it is when you have wife and children and luggage to do the changes that staying on the through train is easier/better. For Southampton/Birmingham you would certainly stay on. I am sure similar or identical points have been mentioned before! Occasional XC services not calling at Reading........... unlikely, probably, but always worth a thought.

The Ham

Established Member
Ah, but it's about capacity we hear. I found the time on MML perfectly ok for a leisure trip to London.

Commuter traffic is all about reaching your destination as quickly as possible, so the view doesn't matter. With leisure travel by train, the view does matter. Travelling at any speed in a long tunnel is really grim and not my idea of a day out to London. People will point to Channel tunnel as being acceptable, but the obvious alternative of a sea crossing is far worse.
I guess less tunnelling would be the answer.

The reason stored is important is that HS2 could have eased congestion on the WCML, MML and ECML by being at least a little faster (so people would be more inclined to swap to them).

Therefore to get people to do to them if it's slower the price had to be lower. Therefore we'd need to look at the costs to see if we can get those down.

Given staff costs are 1/3 of TOC costs, of wet can reduce those by ~30% you'd be able to reduce TOC costs by 10%. Given we've just ruled out running the trains faster, we can't use that to reduce start time, so it's then down to getting more seats per staff member. You'd need to run trains of at least 840 seats to get that 10%.

However that then means you'll need more rolling stock (and again without it being shorter, you'll not be able to make savings that way). Given that rolling stock is 1/3 of TOC costs and we've just increased train lengths from 11 to 12 (+9%) you've just written off most of the staff savings. At that would require (5 hour round trip currently) 180 coaches to run.

Compare that with the original plan for HS2 for about 3:20 round trip London/Leeds at 3tph which would require 160 coaches (so less coaches than the above).

It would also require less staff time, as r existing services would require 225 hours of driving time, this compares with 150 hours under HS2.

We've also massively increased the number of seats (80x has max of 650 seats vs HS2 being 1,100).

It's difficult to sometimes understand what this means, so if we apply a staff cost of 100 to each seat currently each step provides us with these values:
Only reduced staff hours 66.66
Only extra seats per member of staff 59.09
Both combined 40

Then if we apply the same cost of 100 for rolling stock:
Only the reduced journey times 88.89

The other cost of 100 for the other costs we could leave the same, however as there extra energy costs and possibly extra track access charges due to the extra 10% in construction costs we'll increase it to 125 for a fair comparison (others may disagree with this value, but I needed to set something and it felt a suitable value without being overly optimistic or pessimistic).

Therefore rather than the cost being 300 (maybe a little less) under HS2 it would cost 253.89, that allows HS2 to be cheaper (by about 15% on a per seat basis) and faster.

That's going to make it more attractive than driving and flying if your can get the price level right, however with the potential to offer cheaper tickets than you currently can to cover your costs that's going to be easier to deliver.

With regard to Southampton/Manchester - the overall time would be quicker compared to the current ~4h 15 but, you end up with two changes. Not too bad as a solo traveller, it is when you have wife and children and luggage to do the changes that staying on the through train is easier/better. For Southampton/Birmingham you would certainly stay on. I am sure similar or identical points have been mentioned before! Occasional XC services not calling at Reading........... unlikely, probably, but always worth a thought.

Indeed, I never said that everyone would use HS2, just that it would be faster.

However even if only a few use HS2 over XC, that frees up "capacity" (well a few less standing!!!!) on XC for more people to use XC for journeys between intermediate stations.

Personally Southampton/Birmingham isn't really going to be that attractive. Southampton/Manchester is, not least due to the increased frequency on the Reading/Manchester section. Therefore rather than either changing at New Street or waiting an hour between services you'll have two trains an hour which are faster (with the potential to use the GWR stoppers between Reading and Basingstoke if a XC services is cancelled/late and it still being just about faster).

Even if you miss one train at OOC (in either direction) there's a good chance you'll not be overly delayed to the point that it's the same journey time as it is currently.

Last edited:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
The reason stored is important is that HS2 could have eased congestion on the WCML, MML and ECML by being at least a little faster (so people would be more inclined to swap to them).

Therefore to get people to do to them if it's slower the price had to be lower. Therefore we'd need to look at the costs to see if we can get those down.

Given staff costs are 1/3 of TOC costs, of wet can reduce those by ~30% you'd be able to reduce TOC costs by 10%. Given we've just ruled out running the trains faster, we can't use that to reduce start time, so it's then down to getting more seats per staff member. You'd need to run trains of at least 840 seats to get that 10%.

However that then means you'll need more rolling stock (and again without it being shorter, you'll not be able to make savings that way). Given that rolling stock is 1/3 of TOC costs and we've just increased train lengths from 11 to 12 (+9%) you've just written off most of the staff savings. At that would require (5 hour round trip currently) 180 coaches to run.

Compare that with the original plan for HS2 for about 3:20 round trip London/Leeds at 3tph which would require 160 coaches (so less coaches than the above).

It would also require less staff time, as r existing services would require 225 hours of driving time, this compares with 150 hours under HS2.

We've also massively increased the number of seats (80x has max of 650 seats vs HS2 being 1,100).

It's difficult to sometimes understand what this means, so if we apply a staff cost of 100 to each seat currently each step provides us with these values:
Only reduced staff hours 66.66
Only extra seats per member of staff 59.09
Both combined 40

Then if we apply the same cost of 100 for rolling stock:
Only the reduced journey times 88.89

The other cost of 100 for the other costs we could leave the same, however as there extra energy costs and possibly extra track access charges due to the extra 10% in construction costs we'll increase it to 125 for a fair comparison (others may disagree with this value, but I needed to set something and it felt a suitable value without being overly optimistic or pessimistic).

Therefore rather than the cost being 300 (maybe a little less) under HS2 it would cost 253.89, that allows HS2 to be cheaper (by about 15% on a per seat basis) and faster.

That's going to make it more attractive than driving and flying if your can get the price level right, however with the potential to offer cheaper tickets than you currently can to cover your costs that's going to be easier to deliver.

Indeed, I never said that everyone would use HS2, just that it would be faster.

However even if only a few use HS2 over XC, that frees up "capacity" (well a few less standing!!!!) on XC for more people to use XC for journeys between intermediate stations.

Personally Southampton/Birmingham isn't really going to be that attractive. Southampton/Manchester is, not least due to the increased frequency on the Reading/Manchester section. Therefore rather than either changing at New Street or waiting an hour between services you'll have two trains an hour which are faster (with the potential to use the GWR stoppers between Reading and Basingstoke if a XC services is cancelled/late and it still being just about faster).

Even if you miss one train at OOC (in either direction) there's a good chance you'll not be overly delayed to the point that it's the same journey time as it is currently.

I'm surprised there's no scope for Southampton to Paddington services. With a stop at Hayes for Heathrow connections.

Bartsimho

I'm surprised there's no scope for Southampton to Paddington services. With a stop at Hayes for Heathrow connections.
Southampton being considered South-Western Territory still causing it. Point it out to people and they will just say it's quicker from Waterloo so it's not even worth considering

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Southampton being considered South-Western Territory still causing it. Point it out to people and they will just say it's quicker from Waterloo so it's not even worth considering

True but surely it would just be about creating a Southampton/Bournemouth to OOC HS2 connection? I suppose it would be quicker to just go to Waterloo and get the Northern Line to Euston. Or Crossrail 2 from Clapham Junction! I need to check my forehead again...

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Of course in a real and fair world there would be no need to include Heathrow in the plans as (significant) air travel would never exist !.

Bartsimho

Of course in a real and fair world there would be no need to include Heathrow in the plans as (significant) air travel would never exist !.
I think your missing that we're and island and this isn't just catering to domestic travel.

Having a service which connects to an airport is perfect for international travel as:
1. We are an island. It is inescapable that to get off we have 3 options which are to fly, take a time-consuming boat or build a very expensive tunnel.
2. Getting to an airport is difficult as you have luggage but you have to leave what you aren't taking mainly your transportation to and from the airport so therefore trains are the best option as you can go from your home to the airport and not worry about leaving your transfer transport at home.