• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How would you divide up England by region?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
This point came up on the HS2 eastern leg thread so thought it might be an interesting discussion here.

Namely, how would you divide up England into regions? Would you use the same as the official Government regions, or something else?

I have an interest in geography so for me, that would play a part as well as considering what large town or city is the natural 'go to' location for a place.

So, starting in the southeast:

The South East - would be east of the government definition, covering Kent, East Sussex, Surrey and those parts of West Sussex which look to Brighton more than they do Portsmouth - so perhaps from the Arun Valley eastwards

The Central South - as someone who has lived in this area most of my life, I feel there is a Central South identity separate from the SE or SW. It's basically the area which would look to Southampton, Portsmouth or Reading as the local commercial centres, rather than London or Brighton. So Hampshire and the Isle of Wight for certain, as well as the extreme west of West Sussex (Chichester, Midhurst, Petworth), south-eastern Wiltshire (SE of the chalk escarpment above Westbury and including all of Salisbury Plain), and most of Dorset, except those parts northwest of Cranborne Chase - again the chalk escarpment of the north Dorset downs is a barrier in my mind. Also much of Berkshire except perhaps the Bracknell and Slough areas, which would be part of the southeast, and far southern Oxfordshire (Henley area).

The South West - looks variously to Bristol, Exeter or Plymouth. All of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset, as well as the former county of Avon. Those parts of Wiltshire and Dorset northwest of the chalk escarpment, and far-west Dorset also (Bridport area). Dominated by dairy farming with less arable land.

The Oxford-Cotswold region - essentially has Oxford as the main commercial/cultural centre. Notable for the golden-coloured stone of Cotswold buildings, so basically all of Gloucestershire east of the M5 (including Cheltenham even though that's beyond the escarpment) as well as much of Oxfordshire, southeast Worcestershire and southwest Warwickshire.

The Marches - essentially the Welsh border region, beyond the Cotswold escarpment and characterised by higher hills than is present further southeast. Shropshire, Herefordshire, south-western Worcestershire and the Forest of Dean area of Gloucestershire.

The West Midlands - basically the area which looks to Birmingham. Close in definition to the 'official' one but some of Worcs and Warwickshire lost to the Marches or Oxford-Cotswold.

The East Midlands - very similar to the official definition but with the Dark Peak in the North West instead, as to me it seems highly 'northern' in character

The North West - similar to the official definition but minus Cumbria which seems separate to me,remote from the large cities of the NW. So Cheshire, Lancashire, Gtr Manchester, Merseyside, and the Dark Peak area of Derbyshire.

The 'United Counties' or 'M1 country'. Struggling to find a good name for this so will borrow either the previously-dominant bus company of the area or the local motorway. Basically the 'in-between' area of Herts, Bucks, Beds and Northants which seems to be too far west for East Anglia, too far south for the Midlands, and too far east for Oxford-Cotswolds.

East Anglia - much as the standard definition minus the areas mentioned above.

The East - Lincolnshire and east Nottinghamshire.

Yorkshire - big enough to be a region in itself

The North East - Tyne and Wear, Durham and Northumberland (east of the Pennine watershed)

Cumbria, together with any parts of northwest Yorkshire or west Durham which are west of the Pennine watershed.

Anyway, plenty of flaws I'm sure, and I am more famiilar with some of these areas than others - but would be interesting to see what people's thoughts on this are...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
However you try to divide it up there will always be places on the boundaries where someone will say that it should be on the other side (see previous discussions about the north/south divide).

As John Prescott and his minions spent so much time deliberating over it, and as so many agencies follow the results, why not just stick with what there is instead of reinventing it?

Attachments

• GORs_historic_counties_v1.png
    GORs_historic_counties_v1.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 108

nw1

Established Member
However you try to divide it up there will always be places on the boundaries where someone will say that it should be on the other side (see previous discussions about the north/south divide).

As John Prescott and his minions spent so much time deliberating over it, and as so many agencies follow the results, why not just stick with what there is instead of reinventing it?

Not trying to reinvent it, just wondering what people's thoughts are about what regions make most geographical and cultural sense. It's not a serious attempt to try and re-draw any 'official' boundaries.

telstarbox

Established Member
I think the existing regions largely work - the Pennines forms an economic and cultural boundary in the North, Yorkshire folk are kept happy/quiet, and the West Midlands and East Midlands are recognised in other contexts.

Some counties like Oxfordshire and Shropshire don't have an obvious 'big city' field of gravity.

However the East of England one is a bit of a stretch. Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambs fit well together (culturally and being less influenced by London) but the other counties in the region are more of a Greater South East.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Personally I divide England into the 39 shires, not council or lieutenancy areas but the traditional areas.
They are the best understood definition, with a long history, culture and well known names.
When I group the counties into larger regions, I do as follows:

I'd group Lancashire, Cumberland, Westmorland, Northumberland, Durham, and Yorkshire together as The North (this is similar to the historic Northumbria).
Further division would simply just be Northwest and Northeast.

I'd group Cheshire, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, and Hertfordshire as The Midlands (this is similar to the historic Mercia).
Further division could include South Midlands for the Herts, Beds, Bucks, Gloucs and Oxon area, as well as East and West similar to current government regions.

I'd group Devon, Somerset, Cornwall, Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, and Berkshire as The West (this is similar to historic Wessex).
Further division would be The South for Hants, Berks and Wilts, with the West Country for the rest.

I'd group Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire as The East (similar to historic East Anglia).

I'd group Sussex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, and Middlesex as The South East.

I too love maps and like to see these types of discussions, I've long come to the conclusion there is no such thing as a North-South divide except in the mind. England is a rather uniform nation, you get more changes going from town to suburbs than from Bolton to Basildon.
Historically the Marches were most of Wales except Gwynedd, Wikipedia has long being spreading that it covers all the border counties incorrectly.

Attachments

• Regions.jpg
    Regions.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
However you do it, can we have some more inspiring names for the regions than 'the South East' and 'the South West' and 'the North East'? If regions are to work as cultural/administrative units, people need to be inspired to want them, and to culturally identify with them. Look how much loyalty Americans feel towards their states, and then ask yourself, how many US states are called 'the South West' or 'South East America'!

How about names that align with historical regions and ancient kingdoms? Or names that play up to natural features of the area? Say, Wessex, Mercia, Northumberland, Yorkshire, 'Garden of England' (for the one that includes Kent), and so on, would be much better.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
However you do it, can we have some more inspiring names for the regions than 'the South East' and 'the South West' and 'the North East'? If regions are to work as cultural/administrative units, people need to be inspired to want them, and to culturally identify with them. Look how much loyalty Americans feel towards their states, and then ask yourself, how many US states are called 'the South West' or 'South East America'!

How about names that align with historical regions and ancient kingdoms? Or names that play up to natural features of the area? Say, Wessex, Mercia, Northumberland, Yorkshire, 'Garden of England' (for the one that includes Kent), and so on, would be much better.
The inspiring names already exist for the counties and the ancient kingdoms, regions today are entirely made up arbitrarily and the rough directional names are well understood.
America does have statistical regions, also with uninspiring names such as Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, Southwest etc. States over there often have ill fitting names, "Garden of England" is not a good name, as there are millions more gardens elsewhere in England, and Kent is a heavily urbanised county. The South East is also called "The Home Counties" again that isn't accurate for anyone who calls Lancashire home.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Another way of the division of England is that it could be based on a modified version of the former European Parliament constituencies, combined with progressive federalism.

North West Region (Cumbria, Lancashire (including 1974 Merseyside and Greater Manchester metropolitan areas), and Cheshire

North East Region (Northumberland, 1974 Tyne & Wear metropolitan area, Cleveland*, County Durham

Yorkshire (kept as is, minus Immingham, Grimsby, and Cleethorpes as those are south of the Humber)

West Midlands Region (Shropshire, Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, 1974 West Mids metropolitan area)

East Midlands Region (Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, (which would include Immingham, Grimsby, and Cleethorpes from the former Yorkshire and the Humber), Rutland

Eastern Counties Region (Cambridgeshire, Essex (never was part of Anglia at all, unless I had a rubbish history and geography teacher at school many years ago), Norfolk, Suffolk)

London and Middlesex Region (1965 Greater London County Council as per present day)

South Central Region (Berkshire, Hampshire, West Sussex, Isle of Wight)

South East Region (Kent, East Sussex, Surrey)

South Midlands Region (New region, which has Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire)

South West Region (Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall (if not declared as an independent nation), and Gibraltar if they wish to join)

*Depending upon if Middlesbrough wants to leave/join the former North Riding of Yorkshire or not. To me, the locals cannot seem to make up their minds what they want to be.

PTR 444

Established Member
I can see the argument for creating a Home Counties/South Midlands region as most of the towns in the area generally look towards each other economically, rather than those in the wider South East and East Midlands. This would encompass the ceremonial counties of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire. Under a true federal system, Milton Keynes could even be considered the regional capital.

This would leave the South East region covering Berkshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Surrey and Sussex. I would however also include Dorset as it looks more towards London and Southampton than anywhere in the wider South West. This region could be renamed South Coast to reflect the wider geographical area.

All other English ceremonial counties would remain unchanged, while regional capitals would be as follows:

Greater London - London
South Coast - Portsmouth
South Midlands - Milton Keynes
East of England - Cambridge
South West - Bristol
West Midlands - Birmingham
East Midlands - Nottingham
Yorkshire & Humber - Leeds
North West - Manchester
North East - Newcastle

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It depends on your objective as to what each regions should represent. Is it based upon historical links, in which case somewhere like Middlesborough should really be in Yorkshire and not the North East (as it is historically part of North Yorkshire), cultural links, economic links, travel patterns, or just a way of trying to make all areas similarly sized?
In relation to the question I posed above, I think the current system broadly works well, with the exceptions of:

- Northamptonshire should probably be in one of the Southern regions rather than the East Midlands
- Places like Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Essex probably have more in common with Buckinghamshire, Berkshire etc than they do with Suffolk and Norfolk
- North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire being separated from the rest of Lincolnshire since the abolition of Humberside

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you were brought up on a diet of Mike Neville fronting Look North, the Northern Echo, United Auto buses, etc, then are you culturally North Eastern even if you were born and brought up just south of the Tees?
Generally speaking it is the area between the Tees and the Tweed - although it is a bit fluid!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yorkshire (minus Cleveland because they're just wannabe Geordies). Do whatever you like with the rest, it doesn't matter anyway! ;)

Altrincham

It’s an interesting subject and the geography of it is something that I’ve often pondered. While some regions are fairly straightforward in their geography, I always have an image in my mind of the South East being east of the government definition. I always imagine the South East to be an area within a sweeping arc that consists of Sussex, Surrey, London, Essex, and Kent. When looking closely at it, and this has only just occurred to me, it’s a fairly big region which means that parts of the Cotswolds are in the same region as areas overlooking the Straits of Dover.

Thinking about the North West, that too is quite a size when giving it some further thought. Incredible that within the same region there are places that look over the urban areas of Stoke-on-Trent, and that same region’s border is on the outskirts of Gretna.

317 forever

Established Member
Another way of the division of England is that it could be based on a modified version of the former European Parliament constituencies, combined with progressive federalism.

North West Region (Cumbria, Lancashire (including 1974 Merseyside and Greater Manchester metropolitan areas), and Cheshire

North East Region (Northumberland, 1974 Tyne & Wear metropolitan area, Cleveland*, County Durham

Yorkshire (kept as is, minus Immingham, Grimsby, and Cleethorpes as those are south of the Humber)

West Midlands Region (Shropshire, Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, 1974 West Mids metropolitan area)

East Midlands Region (Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, (which would include Immingham, Grimsby, and Cleethorpes from the former Yorkshire and the Humber), Rutland

Eastern Counties Region (Cambridgeshire, Essex (never was part of Anglia at all, unless I had a rubbish history and geography teacher at school many years ago), Norfolk, Suffolk)

London and Middlesex Region (1965 Greater London County Council as per present day)

South Central Region (Berkshire, Hampshire, West Sussex, Isle of Wight)

South East Region (Kent, East Sussex, Surrey)

South Midlands Region (New region, which has Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire)

South West Region (Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall (if not declared as an independent nation), and Gibraltar if they wish to join)

*Depending upon if Middlesbrough wants to leave/join the former North Riding of Yorkshire or not. To me, the locals cannot seem to make up their minds what they want to be.
I agree with most of this. The only exception is that I would not have the South Midlands region. I would have Gloucestershire in the South West region; Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire join Berkshire in the South Central Region; and Hampshire, West Sussex, Isle of Wight plus Essex diverted to the South East Region. So the variations from your proposals would be

Eastern Counties Region: Now just Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Norfolk

South Central Region: Now Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire

South East Region: Now Essex, Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight

South West Region: Now Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, plus Gibraltar if applicable

I would keep the (former) Cleveland Council area in the North East Region but notice an oddity regarding Whitby. As it is served by trains only from Middlesbrough and Arriva North East buses, it feels more like part of the North East than Yorkshire. Mind you, Buxton & Glossop in Derbyshire - served only by trains from Manchester but not the rest of Derbyshire, plus more buses from Greater Manchester than the rest of Derbyshire - similarly feel more like the North West than East Midlands.

Lemmy99uk

For some of us here in the debatable lands, (and I accept not all), Cumbria should be returned to the Kingdom of Strathclyde.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Generally speaking it is the area between the Tees and the Tweed - although it is a bit fluid!
The people of Yarm agree; they voted to be part of Yorkshire! :D

Yorkshire (minus Cleveland because they're just wannabe Geordies). Do whatever you like with the rest, it doesn't matter anyway! ;)
We'll have Yarm but they can have Eaglescliffe ;)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
For some of us here in the debatable lands, (and I accept not all), Cumbria should be returned to the Kingdom of Strathclyde.
Lothian and "The Borders" region were English before they were Scottish, also for a far longer time than Strathclyde had Cumberland. The current border works best for both nations.
All other English ceremonial counties would remain unchanged, while regional capitals would be as follows:

Greater London - London
South Coast - Portsmouth
South Midlands - Milton Keynes
East of England - Cambridge
South West - Bristol
West Midlands - Birmingham
East Midlands - Nottingham
Yorkshire & Humber - Leeds
North West - Manchester
North East - Newcastle
May I ask, what would a "regional capital" do?

-

In regard to other posters here... Why does everyone mention Gibraltar? It is not and never has been part of England. Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are part of England in Church, and football terms, and are closer, but they can not be considered part of England.
Gibraltar has it's own government.

Also people keep referring to Cleveland, that council was unpopular and abolished (like Cumbria council will be in the near future, or Humberside in the past), it is crazy to keep using the un-natural boundaries from it when Middlesbrough is in Yorkshire even by Wikipedia's warped logic.

birchesgreen

Established Member
May I ask, what would a "regional capital" do?
Very good question. There isn't any such thing in this centralised land. Amusingly, when i was working at one of B'ham's universities i saw the marketing stuff they sent out to attract international students where they described Birmingham as the "capital of central England" :p

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In regard to other posters here... Why does everyone mention Gibraltar? It is not and never has been part of England. Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are part of England in Church, and football terms, and are closer, but they can not be considered part of England.
Gibraltar has it's own government.
There may be confusion, in that Gibraltar’s electorate was considered part of the South West of England European Parliamentary Constituency (in that votes from Gibraltar counted toward that constituency).

Grecian 1998

This would leave the South East region covering Berkshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Surrey and Sussex. I would however also include Dorset as it looks more towards London and Southampton than anywhere in the wider South West.

East of Dorchester and Weymouth gravitates towards Poole and Bournemouth, and to a lesser extent Southampton. West of Dorchester and Weymouth definitely has a much stronger Westcountry vibe albeit it's a fairly sparsely populated area. Bridport is effectively the halfway point between Exeter and Bournemouth.

I grew up in Dorset in the 1990s and never noticed any gravitation towards London. As the roads and railways aren't exactly high-speed, it's generally no closer time-wise to London than Taunton or Exeter.

I tend to think of the south as broadly delineated by the TV regions - the South-West is Bristol, Somerset, the western half of Dorset and everything west of there, the South Central region is the eastern half of Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire and possible Berkshire. Surrey, Sussex and Kent are the South-East to me along with the Home Counties orbiting London.

Bournemouth and Southampton have always had a firm view in my experience that they're neither south-west nor south-east - they're South Coast / South Central. They're also roughly halfway along the south coast.

People's perception of regions tends to be guided by their location. A lot of Cornish folk probably think of Bristol as the midlands and Birmingham as somewhere near the North Pole. Some Geordies probably think of Sheffield as just outside the Home Counties. As an Exeter City fan I've heard Walsall fans complaining about the lengthy journey to the south-west. Exeter fans tend to regard Walsall as one of the shortest and easiest trips of the season.

ChrisC

Established Member
I think the East Midlands is a difficult one to define by using county boundaries. Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are both counties that stretch a long distance north to south. Both cities of Derby and Nottingham are very firmly in the Midlands but the north of both counties identify more with the north. There are parts of Derbyshire that are as far north as Manchester and quite a bit further north than Sheffield. Some of the villages north of Worksop in Nottinghamshire are at least as far north as parts of Sheffield. If TV regions are also taken into consideration Buxton, Glossop and NW Derbyshire are in the Granada TV region. Chesterfield, NE Derbyshire, parts of the Peak District and much of Nottinghamshire from Mansfield northwards are in the Yorkshire TV region.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bournemouth and Southampton have always had a firm view in my experience that they're neither south-west nor south-east - they're South Coast / South Central. They're also roughly halfway along the south coast.
That's also true of most of Oxfordshire. Parts of the county are firmly in London's orbit but as you head north and west that changes. It comes out in the accent too - it's a mix of South West and South East which means most locals sound a bit like Ricky Gervais.

And then Banbury is rather like the Midlands in many ways, with a more industrial feel. Oxford probably would be too if the university had never existed (you can get a slight hint of this in Cowley which does feel like a Midlands manufacturing town). All of which makes Oxfordshire a very difficult county to place into a region!

Flinn Reed

I agree with a lot of the orginal post - I've thought about this before in relation to how rail franchises could be reorganised, to distribute them more equally, and try to keep most services within an area under the same operator (though with the exception of some longer distance services). However, I would also seek to cross over the Wales/Scotland borders rather than separating them (though very unlikely for political reasons). Of course this is based more on where the rail network is, rather than dividing equally by area. Could be something like the following, based on the key towns/counties:

A - London area metro services

B - Kent, Sussex, Brighton, East Surrey

C - Portsmouth, Southampton, Guildford, Bournemouth, Weymouth

D - Bristol, Bath, Reading, Devon, Cornwall, Salisbury

E - Gloucester, Swindon, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Cardiff, Swansea, Mid Wales

F - Chilterns, Milton Keynes, Northampton, West Midlands, Aylesbury, Oxford

G - Bedford, Stevenage, Peterborough, Leicester, Lincoln, Nottingham, Derby

H - Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridge, Stansted

I - North Wales, Liverpool, Manchester, Stoke, Chester

J - York, Hull, Sheffield, Doncaster, Leeds, Bradford

K - Newcastle, Blackpool, Preston, Carlisle, South Scotland

L - Glasgow, Edinburgh, North Scotland

M - Longer distance intercity (e.g. West & East Coast, Cross Country etc)

Altrincham

I think the East Midlands is a difficult one to define by using county boundaries. Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are both counties that stretch a long distance north to south. Both cities of Derby and Nottingham are very firmly in the Midlands but the north of both counties identify more with the north. There are parts of Derbyshire that are as far north as Manchester and quite a bit further north than Sheffield. Some of the villages north of Worksop in Nottinghamshire are at least as far north as parts of Sheffield. If TV regions are also taken into consideration Buxton, Glossop and NW Derbyshire are in the Granada TV region. Chesterfield, NE Derbyshire, parts of the Peak District and much of Nottinghamshire from Mansfield northwards are in the Yorkshire TV region.
I’ve often thought this about Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire both being fully in the East Midlands. With the southern end of Derbyshire there is a definite and palpable Midlands association.

But when I’ve traversed the Woodhead Pass (with the urban areas associated with Manchester in one direction, and the landscape of West and South Yorkshire visible for miles in the other direction) I’ve never thought that I’m in the East Midlands. (In fact, and on a separate note, travelling over the Woodhead Pass is the quickest way to cover three distinct regions in a very short space of time).

To me, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire always felt like counties of two halves, which is something that I don’t find with other counties like Cheshire, Staffordshire, or Leicestershire.

Senex

Established Member
But when I’ve traversed the Woodhead Pass (with the urban areas associated with Manchester in one direction, and the landscape of West and South Yorkshire visible for miles in the other direction) I’ve never thought that I’m in the East Midlands. (In fact, and on a separate note, travelling over the Woodhead Pass is the quickest way to cover three distinct regions in a very short space of time).
Wasn't Woodhead station in Derbyshire, the entrance to the tunnel in Cheshire? And Cheshire had a short but significant border with Yorkshire. This area could certainly never be called Midlands or East Midlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.