• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST coach disposals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
It certainly has been a mixed week for the former Angel / EMT Short sets - One vehicle saved for private use (41207), one vehicle heading to the scrapyard with 42586 in the consist.
42407 is one of the former GC/EMT vehicles as well.

spotify95

Just had a further look at this, the majority of todays rake being the former NL51 rake delivered to Ely last week.
Did I say it or did I say it...

From page 21, post 617: "Chances are, the next thing you'll see NL51 on is Ely Papworth Sidings to Newport Sims Metals..."

Looks like this actually happened. Saddening to see the Mk3s go, but totally expected.

Though I do note that I can't find any footage online (as of yet) of it under the code 5Q42 (though there are videos online of the previous 5Q42 Newport moves).

warwickshire

On Moderation
Did I say it or did I say it...

From page 21, post 617: "Chances are, the next thing you'll see NL51 on is Ely Papworth Sidings to Newport Sims Metals..."

Looks like this actually happened. Saddening to see the Mk3s go, but totally expected.

Though I do note that I can't find any footage online (as of yet) of it under the code 5Q42 (though there are videos online of the previous 5Q42 Newport moves).
Good news. For 5q42 Friday 08th October 2021.
1. There is a you tube video called 8 more intercity coaches going for scrap at Simms.
Showing move past the Newport tunnels.
2. Second you tube video called. 57310 with ex emr scrap stock for scrap. Showing move from a reading car park.
Please note both have side footage off vehicles concerned and do cover train well.
However For 5q42 ely to Newport Simms on Friday 08th October 2021. Train ran around 30 minutes early or so.
So sadly it could have been missed by some.

41120 is Angel owned, that’s why it has gone to Ely. If it was Porterbrook’s it would have gone to Burton, then Long Marston with the rest of their vehicles.
Thank you - record corrected

spotify95

Good news. For 5q42 Friday 08th October 2021.
1. There is a you tube video called 8 more intercity coaches going for scrap at Simms.
Showing move past the Newport tunnels.
2. Second you tube video called. 57310 with ex emr scrap stock for scrap. Showing move from a reading car park.
Please note both have side footage off vehicles concerned and do cover train well.
However For 5q42 ely to Newport Simms on Friday 08th October 2021. Train ran around 30 minutes early or so.
So sadly it could have been missed by some.
Thanks, I've found them now:

Given how many coaches have already been sent off for scrap, I just search for the train identity code (5Q42).

Hopefully some more of these MK3s can be preserved before the next inevitable scrap move.

Geeves

Established Member

Looks like right place at the right time over SIMS metals at Newport, gives a little clue to how the MK3s were dealt with, some are on their sides, the bogies are off, theres a few white coaches next to the shredder but not sure what they are. Greater Anglia DVTs maybe

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Looks like right place at the right time over SIMS metals at Newport, gives a little clue to how the MK3s were dealt with, some are on their sides, the bogies are off, theres a few white coaches next to the shredder but not sure what they are. Greater Anglia DVTs maybe
Yes, those are DVTs in Anglia livery.

Several GWR HST trailers in that image, and also two PEP vehicles, one with a pantograph, at the mid left upper next to the GWR Mk3s on their side.

Two separate stacks of bogies, in there, very likely mostly off Mk3 stock. One lot in the middle near what looks like a freshly arrived rake of MK3s, the second lot over near the disused jetty. Looks like they're removing the bogies then dragging them over to the area near that jetty for manual dismantling - probably with a gas axe - since the first plie is all complete examples while the second pile is in various states from complete to just odd wheels.

Last edited:
Yes, those are DVTs in Anglia livery.

Several GWR HST trailers in that image, and also two PEP vehicles, one with a pantograph, at the mid left upper next to the GWR Mk3s on their side.

Two separate stacks of bogies, in there, very likely mostly off Mk3 stock. One lot in the middle near what looks like a freshly arrived rake of MK3s, the second lot over near the disused jetty. Looks like they're removing the bogies then dragging them over to the area near that jetty for manual dismantling - probably with a gas axe - since the first plie is all complete examples while the second pile is in various states from complete to just odd wheels.
Not a gas axe. They use one of those hydraulic digger attachments to rip it.

fgwrich

Established Member
Not a gas axe. They use one of those hydraulic digger attachments to rip it.
Indeed, it is a sad ending for them. Having watched similar at Eastleigh, it seems to be a combination of Gas and Hydraulic cutter for locos, and hydraulic cutter or grabber for stock. It is, oddly enough, like watching a dinosaur eat it’s way through something.

Here’s an example of the Hydraulic Grabber eating it’s way through a Bristol RE (Before anyone asks, it’s chassis was to far gone and sadly not worth retaining, but paid for itself in the spare parts it generated!)

Mogz

Pity.

I would have thought that a refurb with sliding or plug doors and the installation of PRM compliant interiors would have made a cheap and cheerful stop gap for secondary long distance services eg Cross Country or to increase capacity elsewhere.

At least some have been saved for regional services (GWR, Scotrail).

Just seems a pity when we’re always being told that services are short because of a lack of suitable rolling stock…

Towers

Established Member
Pity.

I would have thought that a refurb with sliding or plug doors and the installation of PRM compliant interiors would have made a cheap and cheerful stop gap for secondary long distance services eg Cross Country or to increase capacity elsewhere.

At least some have been saved for regional services (GWR, Scotrail).

Just seems a pity when we’re always being told that services are short because of a lack of suitable rolling stock…
What's that you say; comfortable, quiet, well-riding intercity rolling stock? Can't see that taking off :(

On a serious note, in fairness the MK3s were very well used indeed, and a lot of them would likely have been well and truly life expired.

reddragon

Established Member
Most GWR mark 3 coaches in latter days, were patched with gaffer tape, filler & iron-worm plated over all buried in a fresh lick of paint. As attempted conversions to sliding doors showed, many were beyond it!

As good as they once were, rotting 40+ year old steel has no future on a modern railway.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Just for completeness, I went back today with a better camera. I can confirm that the one on the left, with the icon of a bicycle, is 44015. The one on the right, couldn't see a number, but it has an inordinate amount of gaffa tape applied, there are some curious white marks in the black section and the "paint" appears to be peeling vinyl. In the interests of data economy, I attach two cropped (but full resolution) images. The originals are nearly 13MB each. These are much more reasonable!

M.
These appear to have been used for an upcoming Sky Cinema film called Last Train to Christmas.

Towers

Established Member
These appear to have been used for an upcoming Sky Cinema film called Last Train to Christmas.
The trailer suggests quite a variety of rolling stock also features - glimpses of a MK1 and what appears to be the APT!

There are also some interior shots on board a very nicely restored original spec MK3 - I presume that's one of the pressrved examples, unless the studios did a very decent job of tarting up one of the above?

fgwrich

Established Member
The trailer suggests quite a variety of rolling stock also features - glimpses of a MK1 and what appears to be the APT!

There are also some interior shots on board a very nicely restored original spec MK3 - I presume that's one of the pressrved examples, unless the studios did a very decent job of tarting up one of the above?

That APT style interior is actually built inside 44015, using a combination of IC80 seats from a Mk2 with new coverings (I believe Crewe now has the rest of them). Inter-City Red interior is 40402, and although I’m unsure which, a ex Chiltern vehicle has also played its part in the filming due to the near original lighting layout. I’m led to beleive that was also treated to a form of ‘refurbishment’ for the filming of this Sky led production as well.

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
That APT style interior is actually built inside 44015, using a combination of IC80 seats from a Mk2 with new coverings (I believe Crewe now has the rest of them). Inter-City Red interior is 40402, and although I’m unsure which, a ex Chiltern vehicle has also played its part in the filming due to the near original lighting layout. I’m led to beleive that was also treated to a form of ‘refurbishment’ for the filming of this Sky led production as well.
Wow, that's a pretty amazing level of attention to detail, nice! Bit of a shame that the lot will presumably be binned afterwards, if it hasn't already.

Watching a this (linked above) trailer on YouTube there are a couple of 'interesting' bits; a scene at 0:43 where I can't work out what the interior is - the lights and luggage racks certainly aren't standard MK3 - and a scene at 0:50 which shows an exterior view of a european steam hauled train; obviously being a brief trailer it's difficult to be certain but there are BR MK1 interior shots immediately before it, so hopefully they haven't invested all that time & effort in accurate MK3 interiors only to go and spoil it with a foreign 'steam train'! :D

Last edited:
Anyone know what former EMR HST coach is sitting next to the ECML near morpeth, presumably turned into a sleeping accommodation

ryan125hst

Established Member
The Grim Reaper keeps calling for the Lets Go Farewell set but it appears to have escaped another week.
What's happening with this set now? It hasn't been used since the Let's Go Round Again tour has it? I was looking at the photos I have of it last night and it looked amazing two years ago. I doubt the same can be said now if it's been sat all this time.

Thanks, I've found them now:

Given how many coaches have already been sent off for scrap, I just search for the train identity code (5Q42).

Hopefully some more of these MK3s can be preserved before the next inevitable scrap move.
It looks like the first and last coaches were ex Arriva Trains Wales loco hauled coaches? I'm suprised they were able to couple them to HST trailers as I thought there were differences between the couplings (and electrical supplies, although this is irrelevant on an empty train heading for scrap!)