• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jeremy Corbyn suspended from Labour Party (now reinstated) and whip removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNova

Jeremy Corbyn is going to announce a new project tomorrow afternoon that he says he's worked on since the Spring:

View attachment 87041

At this stage it's still speculation and may turn out be relatively minor, like a new charity or charitable cause, but a large part of his base seem to be hoping it's a new party. If it does turn out to be the latter, then there'll be trouble ahead if the core Labour party loses a large part of its base. However, on the flip side if it helps unite the remainder of the party it maybe more appealing to those put off voting for them by Corbyn (both in Tory ranks and being absent at the last election because of this).

Watch this space...
If you've been working on a new party since the spring, then there's no defence of his suspension or as someone who should be taken remotely seriously these days.

What's been evident over the last few days is that he and his core fanbase don't get why the lost last year's GE. It's the fault of the voters, the saboteurs, the lying jewish community. Kinder, Gentler politics - my arse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yeah I’m pretty sure it will be.
I think he’ll also admit that he was the least useful person to throw his hat into the ring and drag those in the country who didn’t know who he was into a pointless cul-de-sac from which there was no return, leaving us with no credible opposition at a time when we needed one more than ever, don’t you think?

That or he has invited some horrible terrorist fan boy to tea.

I doubt he will quit. The 80k a year and huge pension for doing nowt are hard to give up

daodao

Established Member
What's been evident over the last few days is that he and his core fanbase don't get why the lost last year's GE.
Other prominent Labour shadow ministers, in particular Starmer, deliberately undermined Corbyn by trying to promote an anti-Brexit message. That turned off many core Labour voters in the more Brexity areas (the so-called red wall). By last December, most voters (including many Remainers as distinct from Remoaners like the Lie Dems) just wanted to get Brexit done.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Other prominent Labour shadow ministers, in particular Starmer, deliberately undermined Corbyn by trying to promote an anti-Brexit message. That turned off many core Labour voters in the more Brexity areas (the so-called red wall). By last December, most voters (including many Remainers as distinct from Remoaners like the Lie Dems) just wanted to get Brexit done.

Oh come off it. There was no "stab in the back" by Starmer or others. Corbyn and his acolytes were immensely toxic to traditional Labour voters (and pretty much everyone else outside of a narrow subset of people). Pretty much every poll and interview conducted after the election showed that whilst Brexit played a role (the "oven read deal" was certainly seductive) the bigger issue was the man himself. Heck there was even one cracking poll that showed that the actual policies and manifesto were quite popular but that Corbyn was not. Even anecdotally the people I spoke with, even those who went on to vote Labour, all disliked Corbyn (I certainly was holding my nose and voting Labour more because I liked my MP than anything else) the man was utterly toxic.

Labour have a lot of work to do to regain the trust and votes of their former heartlands but those that supported Corbyn need to accept that he was a terrible leader, a terrible candidate and an unmitigated disaster both for the Labour party and the country itself.

SuperNova

Labour were heavily beaten in the 2019 European elections - something that Corbynites regularly ignore. They had to change tact, otherwise people like me would've deserted the Labour party as I did in those elections. Let's also not forget Corbyn called for article 50 to be enacted on 24 June 2016, utterly bonkers.

Labour lost the last election because of the leadership, not Brexit. It was the number on reason as polling data showed, with a unachievable manifesto being 3rd and Anti-Semitism (a fault of the leadership) 4th. Blame Brexit all you want, but when the leader of the opposition has a net approval rating regularly below -40% and at times -60% then you cannot simply ignore the British electorate and blame everyone else.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Using terms like this makes you sound 12 years old to be honest.

Limp Dems is quite funny though, use that instead.

brad465

Established Member
Corbyn's poor leadership definitely played a part in Labour's election loss, but the damage didn't come from Labour switching to Tories, despite the red wall largely changing blue, it happened because Labour voters disliking Corbyn either didn't turn up to vote, or voted Lib Dem/elsewhere, where their votes were less effective. The Tory only went up around 1% nationwide, it just so happens red wall seats were won by them through apathy of opposing voters. In theory it should mean claiming those seats back isn't too difficult, with recent polling suggesting 36/45 sets are already under threat to returning to Labour if this holds off or improves for the latter by 2024.

He's announced his project, which is called the peace and justice project:

1607872484635.png
I’m pleased to announce the new Peace and Justice Project, bringing people together for social and economic justice, peace, and human rights in Britain and across the world. Find out more in our video and sign up to our launch here https://eventbrite.co.uk/e/jeremy-corby

Last edited by a moderator:

On Moderation
Corbyn's poor leadership definitely played a part in Labour's election loss, but the damage didn't come from Labour switching to Tories, despite the red wall largely changing blue, it happened because Labour voters disliking Corbyn either didn't turn up to vote, or voted Lib Dem/elsewhere, where their votes were less effective. The Tory only went up around 1% nationwide, it just so happens red wall seats were won by them through apathy of opposing voters. In theory it should mean claiming those seats back isn't too difficult, with recent polling suggesting 36/45 sets are already under threat to returning to Labour if this holds off or improves for the latter by 2024.

He's announced his project, which is called the peace and justice project:

View attachment 87080
Presumably it's really the "Peace and Justice, unless you're Jewish, Project"?

brad465

Established Member
The court challenge trying to overturn his suspension has begun:

The first stage of Jeremy Corbyn's legal challenge to overturn his suspension as a Labour MP will begin in the High Court today.
Lawyers acting for the former leader want the party to disclose documents relating to the process of his suspension.

They want the Labour Party release papers relating to Mr Corbyn's initial suspension as a party member, and negotiations with Keir Starmer's office over his reinstatement.
The release of any documents showing there was a deal could be politically explosive in Labour circles, as Sir Keir had publicly set himself against lifting sanctions on his predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.