• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Crewkerne Tunnel - West of England Line closed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jayah

On Moderation
The crews are almost all Yeovil Junction based now i believe which makes crewing an Exeter to Axminster shuttle easier and given the other engineering works, they were running an exeter to yeovil shuttle before the closure. I really fail to understand why Salisbury to Yeovil via Westbury is cancelled as there is no issue at all on that bit so that's just SWR screwing everyone. The fact there is no ticket acceptance on GWR (also a first company) or stagecoach buses is ridiculous but typical SWR
Someone on their social media asked if they could drive from Axminster to Dorchester and use their ticket from there, and were told that wasn't allowed and they needed to refund and buy a new ticket, which of course will cost far more than an Advance bought weeks earlier.

They don't even seem to have ticket acceptance with themselves.

embers25

Established Member
By moving all these units back to Salisbury gives them another excuse not to run anything between Exeter and Axminster
Also pretty much guarantees no 0510 or 0725 from Exeter on Monday :( so there goes my trip to work again.

RPI

Established Member
Reported elsewhere as a GWR driver having worked it.
They were on strike, and all of the Driver Standards Managers that work the strike days in Exeter only sign the branches.

"not bothering" is a favourite of SWR...
Is a weekly occurrence. Stagecoach have been doing a good trade on their X30 route this week!

embers25

Established Member
I see SWR have just added Yeovil to Salisbury via Westbury services back in this afternoon. Funnily enough, their Journeycheck also has a train each way from Basingstoke to Exteer via Crewkerne as running which obviously it won't!! How is it so difficult to update Journeycheck correctly!

superalbs

Established Member
And it looks like they have decided to do GWR ticket acceptance after all. Good thing too, as they are legally obliged to... :|

SWR Twitter: Hi, there is GWR ticket acceptance from Exeter to Paddington. ^DM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208_105200_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_105200_X.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 52

Big Jumby 74

How is it so difficult to update Journeycheck correctly!
Probably just simple human error. There are several major problems affecting the SWR network at present, and in such situations it can be easy for those doing such work to become overwhelmed occasionally.

infobleep

Veteran Member
"not bothering" is a favourite of SWR...
And uet they allowed GWR passengers to travel between Reading and Waterloo on Thursday evening.

Seems a hut one sided.

Many of the GWR services from Exeter to Paddington are still being cancelled though.
So ticket acceptance wasn't allowed when they weren't be cancelled and now some still are, it is.

I wonder why it took so long to arrange though.

Somewhere

If that was the case then SWR wouldn’t have loaned a different 158 to GWR each week until a few years ago.
That was a few years ago. Maybe the modifications hadn't been made, maybe the GWR signed the modifications at that point. Things change over the years

vikingdriver

That was a few years ago. Maybe the modifications hadn't been made, maybe the GWR signed the modifications at that point. Things change over the years
Nothing significant has changed. Sand in brake step 1. That's about it. Nothing a sheet of paper wouldn't brief sufficiently if it needed to be briefed at all.

baza585

Nothing significant has changed. Sand in brake step 1. That's about it. Nothing a sheet of paper wouldn't brief sufficiently if it needed to be briefed at all.
Thanks.

1 5car out on Pompey- Cardiff today, 4 3-car and 3 2-cars. Hopefully control may be able to strengthen as the day goes on.

Awful.

RPI

Established Member
GWR guards can work 159's but not use the Selective Door Opening from what I gather

geoffk

Established Member
Is there an update on the repair at Crewkerne?

Last edited:

Dibbo4025

Also pretty much guarantees no 0510 or 0725 from Exeter on Monday :( so there goes my trip to work again
There's still two units in the new yard - was 7 units stuck there originally - so short form on the 0725 but if the line's open both those should run

Reported elsewhere as a GWR driver having worked it.
Believe it was an SWR Salisbury driver, still one who maintains knowledge via Taunton under local agreement

embers25

Established Member
There's still two units in the new yard - was 7 units stuck there originally - so short form on the 0725 but if the line's open both those should run

Believe it was an SWR Salisbury driver, still one who maintains knowledge via Taunton under local agreement
Didn't want to risk so on 0931 Exeter to Paddington and guard had no issue at all with ticket. I see SWR are running empty shuttles to and from Axminster today.....says everything,

DerekC

Established Member
Maybe it isn't the industrial action, maybe those that control things these days have said not to bother. Who really knows anymore!
I am not usually a conspiracy theorist - the cockup principle usually fits the facts better - but I do wonder if the dead hand of politics and the DfT is behind all this. You could believe that this road- and air-transport focused government has a deliberate agenda of trying to show that railways are not essential any more. However I think it's probably that the political drive to offer a good railway service just isn't there, and DfT's assigned role is to cut costs to the maximum possible extent. Who actually decides whether a rail replacement bus service should be put on? I suspect that in reality it's DfT. SWR is just the convenient whipping boy - sorry, person!

geoffk

Established Member
1L17 07.35 Waterloo - EXD via Westbury is now at Yeovil Jn. according to RTT, waiting departure time at 10.39. This suggest the line through Crewkerne is open, although earlier trains shown were all cancelled! Anyone know what's going on? A silly question, perhaps.

embers25

Established Member
SWR haven't deleted all the Yeovil to Exeter trains today so they all still show and just get cancelled last minute!!! Very helpful. The clue being that it came into platform 1 at Junction. Also, note that when the GWR main line got closed again today, GWR, unlike SWR, put in ticket acceptance instantly on most available options.

Trainguy34

1L17 07.35 Waterloo - EXD via Westbury is now at Yeovil Jn. according to RTT, waiting departure time at 10.39. This suggest the line through Crewkerne is open, although earlier trains shown were all cancelled! Anyone know what's going on? A silly question, perhaps.
Also looks like it has been reporting since Farnborough, 15 mins early but nothing from Waterloo to Farnborough. Anyone know why this may be?

Dibbo4025

Also looks like it has been reporting since Farnborough, 15 mins early but nothing from Waterloo to Farnborough. Anyone know why this may be?
Started from Farnborough in the path of 2L13 as part of the plan for the possession at Brookwood

Lucan

Established Member
I do wonder if the dead hand of politics and the DfT is behind all this. You could believe that this road- and air-transport focused government has a deliberate agenda of trying to show that railways are not essential any more.
Exactly what I have been thinking - that they have another Beeching up their sleeve. The DfT's plan could be to allow some lines to deteriorate to the point they can close them with most users and objectors having already given up., the service having become unreliable anyway. Salisbury - Exeter would be a prime candidate, and everything beyond Exeter.

I believe the rail strikes were the trigger for the DfT to start this process which now proceeds with welcoming allowing further infrastructure deterioration, service disruption, throwing BS in passengers' faces by both DfT and the rail unions, all to be followed by service reductions and closures. The strikes were huge news when they started but now the main media hardly mention them any more; people are bored with it (even on this forum) and are finding other means of transport. For example I will resort to fetching certain distant members of my family by car for Xmas for the second year running, and I won't even bother to check to check the situation wrt to railway line blockages and strikes - it is too complex and fluid. The abandoning of HS2 Phase 2 is another aspect of this. The Government are seduced by the idea that self-driving electric road vehicles will solve everything and allow everyone over the age of eight to travel anywhere at low cost with, unlike railways, no further costly special infrastructure required.

Three-Nine

Yeovil to Exeter will now not be open until at least Wednesday 13th December, strong winds have prevented work progressing as fast as expected.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Just to address a few points….

The SWR diesel fleet is no longer compatible in passenger service with other sprinter fleets due to modifications made to the fleet. They can still run together in an emergency rescue situation but mitigations need to be applied.

Regarding an Axminster shuttle, it would need additional crew as you wouldn’t be able to taxi the crew booked from Yeovil Junction and get them there in time. Due to the T&Cs in the drivers contracts, driver changeover cannot be at Axminster, they have to be at Exeter St David’s which adds significant time on. The only feasible way of running any shuttle service would rely completely on overtime and create additional diagrams. When it’s done pre arranged it can be diagramed accordingly, short notice it cannot be.

Irascible

Established Member
Do GW crews sign to Axminster atm?

While I'll at least look at a conspiracy theory if there's a tangible trigger, I think going from SWR being awful to the DfT wants to shut off the entire south west is a bit of a reach.

Veteran Member
Yes, because there is a Barnstaple-Axminster which runs forward ECS to Castle Cary and back for route retention. But there's an overtime ban...
While I'll at least look at a conspiracy theory if there's a tangible trigger, I think going from SWR being awful to the DfT wants to shut off the entire south west is a bit of a reach.
...on this forum? :)

RPI

Established Member
Just to address a few points….

The SWR diesel fleet is no longer compatible in passenger service with other sprinter fleets due to modifications made to the fleet. They can still run together in an emergency rescue situation but mitigations need to be applied.

Regarding an Axminster shuttle, it would need additional crew as you wouldn’t be able to taxi the crew booked from Yeovil Junction and get them there in time. Due to the T&Cs in the drivers contracts, driver changeover cannot be at Axminster, they have to be at Exeter St David’s which adds significant time on. The only feasible way of running any shuttle service would rely completely on overtime and create additional diagrams. When it’s done pre arranged it can be diagramed accordingly, short notice it cannot be.
The sensible thing is just to transfer a few 158's to GWR and let them run services from Yeovil Westwards. Permanently, there's certainly more demand for a reliable commuter service between East Devon and Exeter than there is for what has become a rather second rate and slow service between Exeter and Waterloo.

GWR crews also sign 159's and the route so a shuttle could be run using GWR crew, with the overtime ban now over could well be feasible this week, something needs to give because SWR throwing the towel in west of Salisbury is basically a weekly occurrence these days, we're talking about a not insignificant commuter flow between Axminster/Honiton/Cranbrook and Exeter.

A lot have gone back to their cars, working at Exeter Central a lot I get to know the regulars and a fair chunk have now taken to driving to Digby & Sowton and getting the train in, several of them have now bought season tickets from Digby to Exeter and plan to continue their commute in that manner as it's easier and more likely to turn up, more lost custom for the WoE

Yes only a handful of drivers though, but all Train Managers, Plymouth Train Managers also sign the route.