• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Iskra

Established Member
Amazing work in those pics. I’ll be happy if my layout ends up half as good. The scenery is the bit that makes me most nervous but you’ve smashed it.

The bubble car looks great too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks @Iskra. :)

Quick update time then.

I’ve been working on the south end extension this last week (the Exeter end).
If you’ve read the more recent posts on here you’ll know that when I originally built the Lapford section it stopped at the bridges either end of the layout and I’ve since added the extra fold up boards at each end to finish off the front of the layout in a better way.
Fair play if you’re still following me banging on about it by the way. ;)

I don’t like sharp curves on a layout which is why I try to hide them as much as possible by using trees and bridges etc. Sometimes curves can be a feature if they’re done right and look like they’re following the contours of the land which is what I’ve tried to do here.

So after doing all of the grass again, finishing the trees and doing various other jobs I’ve toned the greenery down by airbrushing some earth colours over it and I’m fairly pleased that you can’t easily tell which the new section is (basically everything past the bridges in the foreground).
80A951BE-EB6A-41FB-878E-2043A4A0DEF9.jpeg

I’ve also tried to disguise the road going into the backscene by using (yes you guessed it) more trees and a corner:
83B8A80C-193C-4338-B27F-7E4259A1F61C.jpeg

The lane:
A1677715-AFA1-44F2-8E18-95D50275DD56.jpeg

And here’s a couple of photos of a 33 heading towards Barnstaple with some cement wagons. I’m calling the river bridge ‘Dead Tree Bridge’ at the moment...
4BF84A73-9129-42A9-946F-FB11DA3F2102.jpeg

Quite pleased with this to be honest:
3C10857E-5623-4F26-9201-44CCE06D5B7E.jpeg

I still need to work out what I’m going to do with the backscene. I bought a load of blue card just to use temporarily but I think something will come to me at some point if I don’t rush it.
So there you go.

Thanks as always for reading and commenting on it. I really do appreciate it.

Iskra

Established Member
I agree with you about sharp curves- disguising them is the best way to go and you've done well with that. I think your current backscene represents a dreary British sky quite well and the trees help blend it in, so I don't think you really need to do anything more there. If you want to really step it up in terms of backscene there are photo-realistic ones available from Gaugemaster I believe that look the part, but I'm not sure how good they look on a real layout.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I agree with you about sharp curves- disguising them is the best way to go and you've done well with that. I think your current backscene represents a dreary British sky quite well and the trees help blend it in, so I don't think you really need to do anything more there. If you want to really step it up in terms of backscene there are photo-realistic ones available from Gaugemaster I believe that look the part, but I'm not sure how good they look on a real layout.

Yeah I did have one before and I kind of liked it but if anything it looked a little bit too busy somehow.
This was it:

765E6C42-1C40-4EA8-AC6D-0BA833AC68EA.jpeg

It’s a bit grand and mountainous for Devon!
I’d really like something that’s just hills and trees really, but it’s going to have to be about 4 metres long...

Iskra

Established Member
Yeah I did have one before and I kind of liked it but if anything it looked a little bit too busy somehow.
This was it:

View attachment 92236

It’s a bit grand and mountainous for Devon!
I’d really like something that’s just hills and trees really, but it’s going to have to be about 4 metres long...
I disagree, it actually quite reminds me of the line up to Okehampton and I think it looks pretty decent. However, I’m yet to travel the Barnstaple Line so don’t know how well it compares to the scenery there.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You seem to be able to do really good scenery very quickly! Looks great

Yeah I’ve got a bit of a system now so it does come together fairly quickly, although the area I’m working on isn’t that big either I guess compared to what you’re building.
I also have a little bit of space in a corner of the front room where I make things which I can do while we’re watching a film together which works well and means that I’m still being sociable. ;)

I disagree, it actually quite reminds me of the line up to Okehampton and I think it looks pretty decent. However, I’m yet to travel the Barnstaple Line so don’t know how well it compares to the scenery there.

That’s interesting that you say that. I’d say that the route to Barnstaple does have slightly different scenery to the Okehampton line and actually I see what you mean with it looking a bit like the Okehampton route.
Food for thought...

Iskra

Established Member
It is of course your layout, so don’t feel obligated to follow my preference!

Also, can I request that the next shots you show us involve the 50, I feel like I’ve not seen it for a while and it’s my favourite loco of yours.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Also, can I request that the next shots you show us involve the 50, I feel like I’ve not seen it for a while and it’s my favourite loco of yours.

Will do. :lol:
I haven’t used it for a while so you’ve given me a reason to give it a run out now. ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks @Iskra. :)

Quick update time then.

I’ve been working on the south end extension this last week (the Exeter end).
If you’ve read the more recent posts on here you’ll know that when I originally built the Lapford section it stopped at the bridges either end of the layout and I’ve since added the extra fold up boards at each end to finish off the front of the layout in a better way.
Fair play if you’re still following me banging on about it by the way. ;)

I don’t like sharp curves on a layout which is why I try to hide them as much as possible by using trees and bridges etc. Sometimes curves can be a feature if they’re done right and look like they’re following the contours of the land which is what I’ve tried to do here.

So after doing all of the grass again, finishing the trees and doing various other jobs I’ve toned the greenery down by airbrushing some earth colours over it and I’m fairly pleased that you can’t easily tell which the new section is (basically everything past the bridges in the foreground).
View attachment 92225

I’ve also tried to disguise the road going into the backscene by using (yes you guessed it) more trees and a corner:
View attachment 92226

The lane:
View attachment 92232

And here’s a couple of photos of a 33 heading towards Barnstaple with some cement wagons. I’m calling the river bridge ‘Dead Tree Bridge’ at the moment...
View attachment 92229

Quite pleased with this to be honest:
View attachment 92231

I still need to work out what I’m going to do with the backscene. I bought a load of blue card just to use temporarily but I think something will come to me at some point if I don’t rush it.
So there you go.

Thanks as always for reading and commenting on it. I really do appreciate it.
I only saw this yesterday evening when just scrolling through the forums and my response is very similar to my response last time: looking good! Having a train run through the scenery connects it all together well but the scenery does a good job of doing that itself - if that makes sense. I wouldn't have been able to point out where one bit of scenery starts and the other ends if you hadn't said!
That country lane looks really nice - it's got a sort-of Postman Pat feel to it. And I mean that in a good way!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How about a cattle grid over the join?

I just made this. ;)

07CB3A40-A3C2-466D-A741-5F9E9A5C69BC.jpeg

Here you go @Iskra. 50032 having a run out this afternoon.

Leaning into the corner under the bridge:

111D0A64-4D79-490D-A6D8-18C6EAC4414C.jpeg

And opening up out of Lapford...

19F81E09-7F46-4B9E-84A9-05F7FE05A2CB.jpeg

I only saw this yesterday evening when just scrolling through the forums and my response is very similar to my response last time: looking good! Having a train run through the scenery connects it all together well but the scenery does a good job of doing that itself - if that makes sense. I wouldn't have been able to point out where one bit of scenery starts and the other ends if you hadn't said!
That country lane looks really nice - it's got a sort-of Postman Pat feel to it. And I mean that in a good way!

-Peter

Thanks Peter.

I’ve just been trying to find a suitable 1980s tractor and trailer to hide the other join.
I may have to make a kit as there’s not much around.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I just made this. ;)

View attachment 92352

View attachment 92354

View attachment 92355

Thanks Peter.

I’ve just been trying to find a suitable 1980s tractor and trailer to hide the other join.
You're very welcome :)
I just tried finding a tractor/trailer online but then realised I had;
1) approximately no knowledge of tractors
2) exactly no knowledge of 1980s tractors

Now, if you were looking for Class 37s it would be a different story... ;) (by which I mean I could find one, but I'd know next to nothing about it)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Now, if you were looking for Class 37s it would be a different story... ;) (by which I mean I could find one, but I'd know next to nothing about it)

-Peter

Ah go on. Find me a 37 instead.
I like them. :)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
On the small embankment adjacent to the site of the signal box Lapford was spelled out in small white painted stones. In the early 90s a little old man from the village would still come and repaint them now and again. Today they are either buried or disappeared. Does this feature appear on your layout?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the small embankment adjacent to the site of the signal box Lapford was spelled out in small white painted stones. In the early 90s a little old man from the village would still come and repaint them now and again. Today they are either buried or disappeared. Does this feature appear on your layout?

No I haven’t actually done that but I am aware of it. You’ve made my mind up to do it now though as I thought it had disappeared by 1990.

Not my photo but you can make it out in this one (which I think is circa 1986 when the Skipper was on a test run?):

A1358F04-4C9E-4DCF-803D-3DE2D6BA5F6A.jpeg

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Seeing it again in the photo would suggest it's not small stones,perhaps gravel? The lettering looks like it's dug out and filled. Perhaps the old chap also trimmed it too!
I wonder if one dug around you'd still find it under the grass/bushes/nettles?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seeing it again in the photo would suggest it's not small stones,perhaps gravel? The lettering looks like it's dug out and filled. Perhaps the old chap also trimmed it too!
I wonder if one dug around you'd still find it under the grass/bushes/nettles?

Actually you’re right. It’s not painted bricks is it? I might ask on rmweb because there’s a couple of people on there that know every detail of the line.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It looks too even to be bricks. Wooden cut outs,concrete? If all else fails it could be an evening out with the trowel and shears to find the origional.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It looks too even to be bricks. Wooden cut outs,concrete? If all else fails it could be an evening out with the trowel and shears to find the origional.

I’ve got a strimmer too... ;)

Gloster

Established Member

-Peter
I just made this. ;)

View attachment 92352

View attachment 92354

View attachment 92355

Thanks Peter.

You don’t really need a 1980s tractor as lots of tractors go on for years and years. It is only in Chelsea that they change them frequently.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good points actually guys. A nice old rusty Fordson might do the trick.

Peter C

Established Member
Have you made much more progress on the layout @Cowley? I'm really invested in the potential of a tractor on Lapford.

-Peter ;)