• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ram83

Hi Ram83,

Congratulations on getting through to psychometrics and good luck!

If you scroll down to Driver2B on the following link they include a comprehensive breakdown of their day which might be of use to you; https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trainee-train-driver-assessment-day.172736/

I don’t recall writing a report of any description and my intake were tested to an enhanced standard.

Best of luck
That's a really detailed account, brilliant thanks. Hope your first week is going well

Ram83

SarahDee

Just wondered if anyone would be willing to give me a heads up on the application questions - competencies etc. I would like to apply in the future but am aware the vacancies are only advertised for a short time so would be helpful to have an idea of what they are requiring in advance. Thanks to anyone able to help.

SarahDee

Hi Sarah,

I'd advise really reading through the forum, the information is here.
Thank you, I have read through and most of the information seems to be about the process once the application has been accepted. I am asking about the initial application, when the role is first advertised. My husband is a train driver for a different TOC and when he applied there were a few competency based questions - give an example of a time when you have remained calm under pressure etc. As seems to be the case with all TOC's the advert was closed well before the closing date due to a high number of applications. I just wondered if the application for LNER was the same with regard to wanting scenario based answers which may take some time to write and compose. Hope that makes sense. Thank you.

TreacleMiller

The only bit I can remember specific to LNER was a directory search type exercise where you check a series of tables against a key and look for errors.

Theres also some situational questions where you pick your response from four possible options.

Northern and LNER were very similar in that regard.

Interview again for Leeds going out. This is the third round to my knowledge..

Last edited:

SarahDee

The only bit I can remember specific to LNER was a directory search type exercise where you check a series of tables against a key and look for errors.

Theres also some situational questions where you pick your response from four possible options.

Northern and LNER were very similar in that regard.

Interview again for Leeds going out. This is the third round to my knowledge..
Thank you!

Twotwo

My friend has been given a start date for the first week of August. She applied for this campaign. Anyone know how long rules and traction is?

TreacleMiller

Thanks Two Two

Successful DMI for me and ive got my start date, medical pending.

A further course in August too I believe.

Is anyone here on the June training course?

Last edited:

arkleycd

Thanks Two Two

Successful DMI for me and ive got my start date, medical pending.

A further course in August too I believe.

Is anyone here on the June training course?
Hi, How long did you wait for your Psychometric tests following result of you DMI? Curious as I passed my DMI for Newcastle 11/4/22 but still awaiting a date for Psychometrics?

Basically depends where you live and the closest assessment centre...
I have been offered Manchester or Doncaster.

I wanted a good few weeks.
Doncaster have all had covid, so there will be a back log.
As LNER don't assess in house, they are trying to grab places with outsides agencies!

It will happen!! Just watch for the email / text

Hazza

Hi, How long did you wait for your Psychometric tests following result of you DMI? Curious as I passed my DMI for Newcastle 11/4/22 but still awaiting a date for Psychometrics?
I waited around 2 months!

How long did everyone wait after their successfully passing psychs for a job offer? I passed mine last Saturday and still waiting to hear from LNER.

TreacleMiller

I had passed them prior to my DMI tor another TOC. I dropped that id passed them during my DMI and had a job offer the sane day.

beepcop

I'm just wondering if anybody else is in the same carriage as me when it comes to the application process. I can see that plenty of people seem to have been through interviews and have already been offered jobs. Congratulations to those. I applied back in January and completed all of the required tests at the time. I logged into my account earlier on today just to see if there had been any update and it seems there has been nothing since mid January where I was told they were working through applications. Is a delay of several months without update standard for this industry, and if not is it safe to say I've been unsuccessful this time? I've not had a rejection email I would expect. Any insight is welcomed

Shunted

I'm just wondering if anybody else is in the same carriage as me when it comes to the application process. I can see that plenty of people seem to have been through interviews and have already been offered jobs. Congratulations to those. I applied back in January and completed all of the required tests at the time. I logged into my account earlier on today just to see if there had been any update and it seems there has been nothing since mid January where I was told they were working through applications. Is a delay of several months without update standard for this industry, and if not is it safe to say I've been unsuccessful this time? I've not had a rejection email I would expect. Any insight is welcomed
I’m no expert on this but having read these forums for the past 9 months or so, railway recruitment has no logical timescale and some people get job offers within weeks and others after 2 or 3 years in the process especially through Covid!
January is still early days and very much no news is good news in my opinion.

SarahDee

Just wondering what stage you are up to and which depot you applied for?

beepcop

Thanks for the response. I will carry on waiting, hoping I hear anything soon. The last activity I did was the recorded video interview, there's not been any response so far. I applied for Kings Cross.

SarahDee

I don't think it would be unreasonable to contact HR to make an enquiry - hardly pestering them after 4 months of nothing. I'm guessing it would feel more reassuring if others on here had said they were in the same position.

MeatAndTwoMeg

Hi all, I have my MMI coming up very soon and just wanted to gauge the experience those that have been through this stage have had. I have been told, by a train driver manager from a different TOC, that the interviewer is likely going to try to keep drilling down into your answers to make you feel like you are not answering them very well in an attempt to throw you off. Have many of you found this to be the case?

Also, I am currently preparing my examples to the various "tell me a time when..." questions that might come up. Part of these preparations include how I might answer any probing questions. The probing questions I am using so far are listed below, but I would be grateful if anyone else can think of any others that I am missing:
-Why did you take that approach?
-What would you differently in hindsight?
-How did it make you feel?
-What hurdles did you overcome?
-When/where/who were you with?

TreacleMiller

That's exactly what they do. They'll ask the same question again mid answer slightly differently, that happened on two of my six questions. Also expect a lot of follow up questions like "how did you feel doing that" etc.

What worked for me was keeping on track with answers despite this would be my advice, though if they get into softer skills etc. clearly adapt your answer and address immediate question before going back to your original line of response.

My MMI was a very "dry" experience and almost standoffish compared to the DMI.

seapacific

Hello, I have recently applied for a job as a trainee train driver for LNER. I did the video interview about a couple of weeks ago and am still waiting on a response. Can anyone help, had similar experiences or know anything else? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Established Member
Hello, I have recently applied for a job as a trainee train driver for LNER. I did the video interview about a couple of weeks ago and am still waiting on a response. Can anyone help, had similar experiences or know anything else? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Be patient. A small team of people, to process a bell of a lot of applications, as well as dealing with other recruitment as well.
No real timescale, could be days, could be weeks.

There is already threads about LNER recruitment on here, they will have lots of feedback about timescales.

Ps, goodluck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.