• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

arkleycd

Anyone else on the course starting in January? I know I am the only one from Newcastle going so thought I would see if the rest was made up from Leeds?
I am also waiting for course for Newcastle, I was told in June I would be on the January course but don't think that's happening now, when did you hear about your medical?

arkleycd

I had mine last week once I had been given my start date
When did you get your start date? I'm just trying to scale how much notice you got re the start in January? Bet your over the moon, I'm assuming the the course is in york? Was the medical local?

Driver068

Morning, I was wondering if anyone could answer a quick query please.
Who conducts the classroom apprenticeship training please and whats the actual role titled. Are they internal/external or drivers/former drivers.
I ask as i know a collegue who's wanting to get into the training side of things on LNER. I know this is an apprenticeship page but someone reading this either on the inside or in the know able to assist.
Many thanks and good luck in your applications

T T

Morning, I was wondering if anyone could answer a quick query please.
Who conducts the classroom apprenticeship training please and whats the actual role titled. Are they internal/external or drivers/former drivers.
I ask as i know a collegue who's wanting to get into the training side of things on LNER. I know this is an apprenticeship page but someone reading this either on the inside or in the know able to assist.
Many thanks and good luck in your applications
Hi there.
Classroom training is done by drivers who are seconded to the training sept. Just referred to as driver trainers I believe.
Def need to be a proficient driver on the route first before being able to go into trading, altho I think a previous trainer transferred in specifically and they kind of fast tracked the route knowledge to get them up to speed
Hope that’s helps

MeatAndTwoMeg

Hi, does anyone on the January course know when exactly the classroom training phase ends? I'm looking to rent accommodation short term in York and need a better idea of how long I'll be there before a landlord will agree to let to me.

The people department have asked the trainers this question on my behalf, but haven't had an answer yet.

DoubleO

Hi there.
Classroom training is done by drivers who are seconded to the training sept. Just referred to as driver trainers I believe.
Def need to be a proficient driver on the route first before being able to go into trading, altho I think a previous trainer transferred in specifically and they kind of fast tracked the route knowledge to get them up to speed
Hope that’s helps
The trainers aren't seconded, they are full time Training Delivery Managers. Specific route knowledge isn't required but significant driving experience and ideally training/assessing experience are.

Defty27

Hi, does anyone on the January course know when exactly the classroom training phase ends? I'm looking to rent accommodation short term in York and need a better idea of how long I'll be there before a landlord will agree to let to me.

The people department have asked the trainers this question on my behalf, but haven't had an answer yet.
I believe I was told April, three months class room based and then back to your station. Did you receive your welcome to invitation the other day for the 9th of Jan?

tallpaul82

My course was 12 weeks long with two weeks leave at the end (subject to passing). Then the traction was another 4 weeks. We split that between York, Leeds and Doncaster though.

MeatAndTwoMeg

I believe I was told April, three months class room based and then back to your station. Did you receive your welcome to invitation the other day for the 9th of Jan?
I thought it would be around April, but was hoping for LNER to be able to narrow it down a bit more! I haven't had the Welcome to invitation yet, but it's only been two days since I received my contract.

My course was 12 weeks long with two weeks leave at the end (subject to passing). Then the traction was another 4 weeks. We split that between York, Leeds and Doncaster though.
Ah okay, so classroom plus 2 weeks leave would take us up to mid April. If I don't get an answer from LNER soon I suppose I'll just have the lease end on the15th April and stay in a hotel if it takes longer or the traction element is up north rather my home depot.

Thank you both for your replies.

I thought it would be around April, but was hoping for LNER to be able to narrow it down a bit more! I haven't had the Welcome to invitation yet, but it's only been two days since I received my contract.

Ah okay, so classroom plus 2 weeks leave would take us up to mid April. If I don't get an answer from LNER soon I suppose I'll just have the lease end on the15th April and stay in a hotel if it takes longer or the traction element is up north rather my home depot.

Thank you both for your replies.
Be aware that the traction element can change even when you have a written schedule. The railway isn’t linear and is much more reactive than proactive.

beepcop

Good luck to all of you who have managed to proceed to the later stages, I hope you succeed and training goes well.

I have not yet had a reply to the email I sent to HR several months back querying whether I remain a potential candidate. As it is now approaching a year since the initial application perhaps it is time for me to consider this a failure and to start looking elsewhere.

JamesGareth

I’ve posted this on the Newcastle forum also as that’s where I am applying to be based - Had my medical yesterday, all went well except the ECG flagged up some abnormalities which need to be looked at by a cardiologist, they didn’t give much else away! Anyone else had anything similar? If so what did you do?

heedfan

I’ve posted this on the Newcastle forum also as that’s where I am applying to be based - Had my medical yesterday, all went well except the ECG flagged up some abnormalities which need to be looked at by a cardiologist, they didn’t give much else away! Anyone else had anything similar? If so what did you do?

It's fairly routine to be flagged for further checks by a cardiologist. I had the same experience, all you can do is wait and see what comes back. It is likely it will be absolutely fine. Try not to worry, if you haven't heard back in a week then chase it up. Hope it comes back with good news for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.