• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Mk4 livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ironically peeling the vinyls off the the TFW Mark 4s would leave them pretty much in standard TFW livery, as underneath the vinyls remains East Coast grey, but as mentioned above the black window bands are painted. TFW’s standard livery is of course… Grey with black window bands!
Well there we are then, save 'em some money! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

For a livery that is supposed to be a new design and not an adapted version of Intercity Swallow, it doesn’t half look like Intercity Swallow!

I think it looks good. Intercity Swallow has always suited the 91s and Mark 4s, and the Azuma inspired brown actually looks alright in this case. When I first heard “Azuma inspired” I was worried they’d try copying the Angry Birds style red cab ends, which as good as they look on the 80xs would have been utterly hideous on the 91s and DVTs because the shape of them simply wouldn’t suit such a design.

Ironically peeling the vinyls off the the TFW Mark 4s would leave them pretty much in standard TFW livery, as underneath the vinyls remains East Coast grey, but as mentioned above the black window bands are painted. TFW’s standard livery is of course… Grey with black window bands!

East Coast grey was much darker than the shade TfW use. The black window bands won't be painted with tidy edges (they go under the vinyls, so it wouldn't matter), and given the age of the paint below and the length of time the vinyls have been on they are almost certain to rip some of it off when the vinyls are removed.

Once those vinyls come off they are going to have to do a full repaint, in reality.

boiledbeans2

I think it looks great!
It reminds me of the early SWT livery being a tweak of the NSE livery - with the addition of the orange stripe.

Doomotron

I think my preferred option would have been a boxier 80x livery but this is still very cool.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
TFW’s standard livery is of course… Grey with black window bands!
It’s white on the legacy fleet. I’m not sure why they decided to switch to grey for the new fleet; probably because it hides dirt better. Looks less smart though.

fgwrich

Established Member
East Coast grey was much darker than the shade TfW use. The black window bands won't be painted with tidy edges (they go under the vinyls, so it wouldn't matter), and given the age of the paint below and the length of time the vinyls have been on they are almost certain to rip some of it off when the vinyls are removed.

Once those vinyls come off they are going to have to do a full repaint, in reality.

Indeed, if you want an example of how stock can look once the vinyls have been removed, take a look at how 153325 & 333 looked on their way from Exeter TMD to Cardiff a few years ago.

owidoe

Given that LNER is run by the OLR, could this livery be the new totally-not-InterCity livery for GBR, or is this wishful thinking?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Given that LNER is run by the OLR, could this livery be the new totally-not-InterCity livery for GBR, or is this wishful thinking?
It looks too similar to LNER's current Azuma livery to be a GBR livery.

james_the_xv

Maybe the same design but different colours for each intercity operation? Green for western region, red for east coast, blue for west coast etc?

Christmas

I wonder if they'll name them something ridiculous?
I'm still baffled about why they don't have LNER on anything other than the driving vehicles on their 'Azuma'.

mmh

Established Member
Which would mean they won't match the DVTs and locos already painted in the standard TfW livery!
They already don't match. The DVTs carry charity vinyls. As for the coaches, they're close enough to TFW's colours for nobody other than on here to really care, I suspect.

I wonder if they'll name them something ridiculous?
I'm still baffled about why they don't have LNER on anything other than the driving vehicles on their 'Azuma'.
Why? Virgin only put their logo on driving vehicles. (Despite many here claiming Virgin over-branded, livery was one place they certainly didn't)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They already don't match. The DVTs carry charity vinyls. As for the coaches, they're close enough to TFW's colours for nobody other than on here to really care, I suspect.

Why? Virgin only put their logo on driving vehicles. (Despite many here claiming Virgin over-branded, livery was one place they certainly didn't)
As someone has said several times, I think it’s Bletchleyite who often (correctly) points this out, Virgin never splashed the logo around - it’s First that like to slap it in every blank space they can!

GWVillager

Presumably the TfW sets are due for a similar repaint? Would be slightly weird if they retained the ex-VTEC/LNER stickers when the LNER sets themselves don’t
As sd0733 says, TfW is quite keen on retaining the GC Black and Orange, though I hadn't heard anything about the orange stripe being replaced with red (though I had speculated this myself). They do intend to repaint all of the Mk. 4s in several years time ultimately, but until then I think the ex LNER vehicles will remain in that tatty livery. Not entirely sure though.

ash39

Established Member
Pics:

225:
View attachment 113845
Source: “Stephen Frogatt"

I assume they will use the same stripey vinyl from the Azuma livery on the maroon section and the LNER logo will sit where the Intercity logo used to be, if so I think that'll be a smart looking thing.

It definitely needs the stripes otherwise it looks like someone tried to copy Swallow but got the paint colour wrong!

I'm also in two minds about the black window frame and grill extension - there's no other black anywhere on the train so maybe they should have been grey to match the coach doors? I understand the historic link to them being black but I'm not sure it works? Need to see it for real.

Also, the front valance/skirt need to be white!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
TFW’s standard livery is of course… Grey with black window bands!
It’s white on the legacy fleet. I’m not sure why they decided to switch to grey for the new fleet; probably because it hides dirt better. Looks less smart though.
No blank window bands on TfW's 230s or 197s.

As someone has said several times, I think it’s Bletchleyite who often (correctly) points this out, Virgin never splashed the logo around
Except on the original WCML livery which had a Virgin logo at both ends of every coach I believe.

As sd0733 says, TfW is quite keen on retaining the GC Black and Orange, though I hadn't heard anything about the orange stripe being replaced with red (though I had speculated this myself). They do intend to repaint all of the Mk. 4s in several years time ultimately, but until then I think the ex LNER vehicles will remain in that tatty livery. Not entirely sure though.
Other than the tattiness of the vinyls (and the over-large area of red on the buffet) I don't think the VTEC livery on the coaches was all that bad - in stark constrast to the nasty swirly stuff VTEC put on the locos and DVTs. As for TfW keeping the Grand Central black livery, do the sets remain fixed with a particular DVT I wonder? If they do, then given the RNLI lifeboats have alot of orange on them maybe one set could retain the orange stripe with the DVT given a new RNLI vinyl revised to fit with the coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.