• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I have done a review of my experience on EC over on the old blog of mine

http://blog.tomstrainpage.co.uk/?p=543

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Service seems good on 0650 ex-GLC today.
First coffee by Motherwell, extra toast no problem, nor were requests for slight variants on the menu for junior. Full English reasonable.

2nd round of coffees just after Waverley. Can't complain about this level of service.

Last edited:
On 0625 ex-EDB, very happy with the service. Had plenty of tea (3 rounds, one upon departure, one after BWK, one after NCL) so far and enjoyed the breakfast. Actually had the whole of Coach L to myself until NCL.

£23 Advance ticket (to West Yorkshire), great value. Only booked this a week ago too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
19:51 York-Edinburgh, already had a round of tea and the weekend offering has been provided. Great service again.

wizzy

First, thanks for all the info in the thread. Now for a newbie question from a Yank.

In late August my wife, 4yo son, and I are headed from London to Edinburgh. Tickets on the EC line just went on sale today, and I get get standard fare for either 64 or 81 pounds, depending on time, or I can get first class for 128 pounds. We'll be travelling mid-day on a Thursday, August 30. Given the 4.5 hour trip time, is it a no-brainer to go first class? I've read the last 20 or so pages so have a sense for what that means, but the more comfortable seat and more relaxed coach sound appealing.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
If you are doing any other travelling by rail in Great Britain it may be worth considering a Family and Friends Railcard for £28, which gives you around 60% off most Child fares and around 34% off most Adult fares when a named cardholder and a child travel together. The difference for this trip is however not as significant as is typical because of the East Coast Small Group (3-9 people) discount of around 34% and because the Family and Friends Railcard does not seem to apply to East Coast First Advances.

I will let someone with first hand experience give you advice about First Class.

calc7

Established Member
First, thanks for all the info in the thread. Now for a newbie question from a Yank.

In late August my wife, 4yo son, and I are headed from London to Edinburgh. Tickets on the EC line just went on sale today, and I get get standard fare for either 64 or 81 pounds, depending on time, or I can get first class for 128 pounds. We'll be travelling mid-day on a Thursday, August 30. Given the 4.5 hour trip time, is it a no-brainer to go first class? I've read the last 20 or so pages so have a sense for what that means, but the more comfortable seat and more relaxed coach sound appealing.

Depends what your motives are? The comfier seats, free WiFi and quieter atmosphere are all very nice. Whether or not the much-touted "First Class" food and drink service materialises and is sufficient enough that you wish you'd brought your own food is another matter. If travelling in the middle of the day, try to avoid the Scone Expresses - these departures from Kings Cross around 2-4pm have a very insulting food offering.

wizzy

If you are doing any other travelling by rail in Great Britain it may be worth considering a Family and Friends Railcard for £28, which gives you around 60% off most Child fares and around 34% off most Adult fares when a named cardholder and a child travel together.

This will be our only rail travel. Flying into LHR, train to Edinburgh, drive around Scotland for a week, and then home from Glasgow.

Depends what your motives are? The comfier seats, free WiFi and quieter atmosphere are all very nice. Whether or not the much-touted "First Class" food and drink service materialises and is sufficient enough that you wish you'd brought your own food is another matter. If travelling in the middle of the day, try to avoid the Scone Expresses - these departures from Kings Cross around 2-4pm have a very insulting food offering.

Good to know. We had been planning on bringing our own food on before I started thinking about FC. Our departure from Kings Cross somewhere between 11a-1p (to make it to Edinburgh in time for a not-too-late dinner), so would hopefully miss the Scone Express regardless.

I guess an inverse to the question would be how tolerable is standard service for a 4.5 hour ride, assuming that we bring on our own food?

calc7

Established Member
I guess an inverse to the question would be how tolerable is standard service for a 4.5 hour ride, assuming that we bring on our own food?

The comforting thing about Standard Class is you know what you're going to get (bar break downs - which also affect First, and uncouth passengers - that train should be quiet enough for you to move carriages). Personally I wouldn't do that trip in Standard as I am flexible enough to travel at times when First is good value (or I travel on Virgin Trains up the other line to Scotland) but the food should not be a major issue for you.

Butts

Veteran Member

If you are arriving into LHR have you considered flying up to Scotland rather than taking a train.

British Airways fly from LHR to EDI and fares start at less than £50 per person. You would perhaps have to TX to T5 rather than going into London Kings Cross.....and of course it only takes an hour !!!:p

TGV

wizzy: If time was critical and you were not concerned with the type of journey you wanted then the fact you are already at Heathrow means that is an option but I'm guessing you have already considered that. The train will let you see more of the UK too which I enjoy when visiting another country.

Having made countless London to Scotland journeys by train, car or plane, personally I would choose the train, and plan my travelling around that. Moreover, I would choose east coast over west coast, especially for Edinburgh. You get some great views to look at on the way. Some stretches of both ecml and wcml are dull to us Brits but when you are foreign that often doesn't become a factor. I remember driving from San Bernardino into L.A. to visit some friends and they told me how dull that highway was. To a local, perhaps but as a foreigner, I liked seeing something different.

If I was you, given the timings you have said, I would go for the 1200h from King's Cross. It is a quick service: first stop York (about 185 miles from London) and 4h25m in total from London to Edinburgh. I would also go for 1st class as well. Never mind the 190 odd pages of ramblings about toast and coffee, the extra space and ambience is worth the money if you are on holiday....erm, vacation.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I personally would happily do it in Standard, but everyone's different. It certainly is a very scenic line north of Newcastle (one of the best in Britain; about 100 miles south of Edinburgh), certainly something you wouldn't get on an aircraft! It's a nice run from Kings Cross-Edinburgh, you'll enjoy it in either class.

philjo

Established Member
If the price is OK I would personally opt for 1st class for a journey of that length - you get the extra leg room & the seats are better. There is also more luggage space as 1st class has fewer passengers in each coach - though as you are boarding at Kings Cross & leaving at Edinburgh less of an issue than for passengers joining en-route
If possible book seats on the right hand side of the train in the direction of travel (if booking online via East coast site you can select specific seats) as the best views are on that side - York Minster, Durham Cathedral, Newcastle bridges and the Northumberland coastline.

I went to York yesterday for Railfest. Went outwards standard class - not busy at all on the stopper (delayed due to 2 windows breaking en route due to ballast hitting them). I bought a bacon toastie from the buffet. Came back 1st class on the 18:01 HST that starts at York. Not many passengers in 1st. One descrepancy from the official weekend menu - the sandwiches are described as Ham Turkey & Dill. on the packaging there is not mention of Dill at all. They are actually Yorkshire Ham Turkey & Gherkins (large chunks) with mustard - not mentioned on the menu. The other option was cheese & onion.
I had bought a citron tart at Bettys & fruit from M&S to have after the sandwiches.
2 trolley runs with the food & juice/water - first after York & again on leaving Newark. Tea & coffee offered after every station (being the stopper this meant they offered it to me 6 times between York & Stevenage but I only had the one mug of green tea plus a glass of orange juice)

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
From my experience, I've tried 1st class on EC once and it was very comfortable and I was very well looked after with plenty of visits from the trolley etc.

That said, as others have mentioned, it's likely to be not too busy in standard at the time you're going (I'd happily do it in standard), and even though there won't be any free food and drink the trolley's likely to come along a couple of times and I find that sometimes a trip to the buffet car can be welcome to stretch your legs. So it's whatever you want to pay for.

wizzy

If you are arriving into LHR have you considered flying up to Scotland rather than taking a train.

We're flying into London Heathrow (LHR), but spending a couple of days in town before we head up to Edinburgh. We're also staying downtown in Edinburgh, so getting dropped off downtown works best for us, as well.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm thinking the 70 pound difference for FC isn't too bad for three of us on holiday, and will manage our expectations on food/drink.

Also good to know that the right side is the best for seeing the sites, thanks!
One more question. Which coach? I saw references to quiet coach K, but a) the seat map only shows M/L/J(quiet) and b) I've got a 4yo who hasn't quite mastered the concept of an "indoor voice". Would L be the best spot for us? I've inferred that the trolley typically starts in the quiet car and then moves to the end, so J->L->M?

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
East Coast have two types of trains HSTs (diesels) and IC225s (electrics) and they have slightly different seating plans/coach lettering. The letters you've given equate to a HST and in that case J will be the quiet coach so I'd suggest that L would indeed be the best place for you to sit. When I'm travelling on ECs HSTs in first class it's where I choose to sit as it avoids being in the same coach as the buffet which means that in fact the quiet coach isn't all that quiet! The IC225s have slightly different lettering as their first class coaches are M, L and K (quiet).

stut

Established Member
Went on a trip up from Peterborough to York with them over the bank holiday - was something of a mixed bag. Both were on extra Bank Holiay services.

On the way out, the carriage was in a poor state - barely cleaned and the doors pegged open (no idea if deliberate or not). My seat was broken, so we moved, although the on-board staff didn't particularly care about the fact the sat was broken. Wanted to move all th way up the carriage to get away from the woman playing her child DVDs at full volume, which seemed to cause the folks on board all sorts of problems. Settled down (both seats were pretty rocky), got one cup of tea. Trolley came round once near Doncaster, with some croissants. I opted for cheese, got cheese and tomato, asked to change and practically got the new one thrown at me. No more tea - the passengers joining at Doncaster did get some, but the hosts made it clear that's all they were doing, and disappeared at lightning speed. The croissant was poor - I know it's a reduced service at weekends and holidays, but they may as well not have bothered.

Coming back was a different story. Despite coming from Edinburgh and lacking reservations, the carriage was spotless, and they were good at making sure everyone got seated. Friendly bunch, and the hot drinks, cold drinks and snacks (including some decent sandwiches) came round several times. Couldn't fault it.

Both IC225s, FWIW.

mirodo

I'll be on the 1135 York - Edinburgh (0930 ex Kings Cross - 1S10) on Friday. Where's the best place to sit to ensure I get the promptest service? I have a seat reservation in coach K (a higher numbered seat), but don't mind moving if it means I get served quicker!

:)

calc7

Established Member
I'll be on the 1135 York - Edinburgh (0930 ex Kings Cross - 1S10) on Friday. Where's the best place to sit to ensure I get the promptest service? I have a seat reservation in coach K (a higher numbered seat), but don't mind moving if it means I get served quicker!

:)

Northernmost end of Coach K - highest numbers.
Note that you may also have to put up with any noise from the adjacent staff compartment here.

mirodo

Northernmost end of Coach K - highest numbers.
Note that you may also have to put up with any noise from the adjacent staff compartment here.

Cheers. As long as the noise isn't crappy tinny music played over mobile phone speakers or leaking from a pair of cheapo headphones, I can cope with it!

wintonian

Established Member
No hot food on today's service north apparently pre packed sandwiches instead. :(

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

StrollerEd

been a long while since I travelled EC FC from Edinburgh to London Kings Cross (KGX) but did so yesterday mid-afternoon, returning on the 18.00hrs from KGX today.

Good trip down and was plied with enough sandwiches, tea and the scones to almost ruin my evening meal in London. Uneventful and allowed me to collect thoughts and finish a presentation for a 9am start the next day.

On the return leg now and enjoyed prompt offer of tea, and the opted for the beef b and a generous slug of Syrah. Obviously not up to the full experience of yesteryear but well edible and satisfying after a day's work. Now about to try the Summer Pudding :)
as folk have said, if getting to Aulk Reekie is the aim then connecting flight is best.

if you like trains - and why/how else do you turn up on this forum? - then the EC train is just dandy. I'm on it right now.

check out eastcoast.co.uk for fares as singles are sometimes better than returns. And there are web specials for both FC and standard.

Getting from London Heathrow to Kings Cross (KGX) is the major downside. Money no option and its the Heathrow Express to Paddington. Else its a long ride on the Piccadilly. (not done the intermediate option which someone else could relate.)

If I were in your position I would splash the cash for FC on EC - and as all have said get those seats on the sea side.

Do remember that Edinburgh is very busy in August (because of the Festivals) and so might be those standard class carriages.

We're flying into LHR, but spending a couple of days in town before we head up to EDB. We're also staying downtown in EDB, so getting dropped off downtown works best for us, as well.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm thinking the 70 pound difference for FC isn't too bad for three of us on holiday, and will manage our expectations on food/drink.

Also good to know that the right side is the best for seeing the sites, thanks!
One more question. Which coach? I saw references to quiet coach K, but a) the seat map only shows M/L/J(quiet) and b) I've got a 4yo who hasn't quite mastered the concept of an "indoor voice". Would L be the best spot for us? I've inferred that the trolley typically starts in the quiet car and then moves to the end, so J->L->M?
I should add that the Summer Pudding was splendid.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have to say, from the pictures I've seen posted here, the food looks pretty good. Perhaps not as many spuds as I'd usually go for, but that could be easily sorted out by someone going up the carriage with a toureen.

wizzy

Thanks all.

Wound up choosing the 12:00 from KCX, first class, coach L, high number. Unfortunately the right side is only single seats, so hopefully we'll still be able to get a good peek at the sights from the left hand side of the train.

HST Power

Established Member
The East Coast website has listed the 0625 Edinburgh-London as full and standing from Darlington with First Class 'reduced.' Does this mean that there are less First Class coaches, a reduced First Class service or a declassified First Class cabin altogether?

calc7

Established Member
Is it even possible to reduce the "First Class" service any more? :lol:

Failed Unit

Established Member
The East Coast website has listed the 0625 Edinburgh-London as full and standing from Darlington with First Class 'reduced.' Does this mean that there are less First Class coaches, a reduced First Class service or a declassified First Class cabin altogether?

They may have a set with a missing first class coach, they certainly did a few weeks ago.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Is it even possible to reduce the "First Class" service any more? :lol:
Are you suggesting that we give the company constructive ideas how to reduce it?

Lets just recap. We've seen the removal of the table lamps, the hot finger towels, the holder of bottled water & condiments, soup, or indeed any starter *, service of vegetable, after meal mints, after meal chocolates, bread rolls, serviettes, (jeez, I can't remember everything that EC has withdrawn in recent months), then we've had cheese platters without cheese, the main called jacket potato which is just one potato, salad which has barely passed within a kilometer of a bottle of balsamic vinager, an 'offering' which is not scheduled to be provided for about half the Company's actual services, meals which have not been loaded onto the train, cutlery which has been loaded onto the train but is the unwashed stock from the previous service, chilled red wine and the classic First Class gaffe of wine in plastic bottles.
* Actually, there was an, er, sort of starter for a few months last summer in the form of a little plastic tub of processed something. Now we are given a little packet of processed nut.

Actually, my experience is that the biggest dissapointments are at the grand and the detailled level. Declaring soup as a Safety hazard is just laughable. the petty erosion of what constitutes an after meal cheese platter is painful. Even the little touches of a bit of apple or pickle or choise of biscuits are continually diminished.

Its just pathetic.

Sometimes I take a mobile phone picture of my meal. Sometimes that image appears to be no more than the vinyl table cladding.
Actually, it could get worse. Let's all go downhill all the way to pre-packaged snack bars with East Coast!

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Are you suggesting that we give the company constructive ideas how to reduce it?

Lets just recap. We've seen the removal of the table lamps, the hot finger towels, the holder of bottled water & condiments, soup, or indeed any starter *, service of vegetable, after meal mints, after meal chocolates, bread rolls, serviettes, (jeez, I can't remember everything that EC has withdrawn in recent months), then we've had cheese platters without cheese, the main called jacket potato which is just one potato, salad which has barely passed within a kilometer of a bottle of balsamic vinager, an 'offering' which is not scheduled to be provided for about half the Company's actual services, meals which have not been loaded onto the train, cutlery which has been loaded onto the train but is the unwashed stock from the previous service, chilled red wine and the classic First Class gaffe of wine in plastic bottles.
* Actually, there was an, er, sort of starter for a few months last summer in the form of a little plastic tub of processed something. Now we are given a little packet of processed nut.

Actually, my experience is that the biggest dissapointments are at the grand and the detailled level. Declaring soup as a Safety hazard is just laughable. the petty erosion of what constitutes an after meal cheese platter is painful. Even the little touches of a bit of apple or pickle or choise of biscuits are continually diminished.

Its just pathetic.

Sometimes I take a mobile phone picture of my meal. Sometimes that image appears to be no more than the vinyl table cladding.
Actually, it could get worse. Let's all go downhill all the way to pre-packaged snack bars with East Coast!

You forgot to mention the removal of ashtrays :oops:

Seriously it seems they have completely deserted the Business Market like yourself to concentrate on "freeloaders" like myself purchasing £12.55 Advanced First Tickets from FKG to Darlington.

What is good to me relative to what I have paid, is appalling to people purchasing "full price" tickets and those like yourself who were quite prepared to pay for a reasonable product.

To use an old Number 10 analagy I can see it ending up as "Beer and Sandwiches":p