• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 intake)

moonie95

Hi All!

I've been reading through this forum throughout my whole process and have successfully been offered a conditional position, so thank you all haha

I've just completed my the Reed portion of this and was reading through and seen it usually takes around 2 weeks for this to be completed, im assuming after this is the medical and drug and alcohol test, may I ask how long afterwards I should expect a contract if successful? I'm just wondering about when to put in a notice as mine is 4 weeks.

Thank you :))
Reed background checks usually take around 2 weeks (depends on how long your references take) could be longer.
Also depends on the start dates you selected on your onboarding documents, if you don’t mind me asking which dates did they have available.
Medical is usually booked in after the Reed background checks are complete.
My medical is booked for a week before my start date and I still haven’t received a contract. Contracts are usually sent around 3 weeks before your start date but I heard some people have received their contracts 2 weeks before start date.
They do send you an email about confirming a date for training though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carpetsgalore

I had my role play and Scenario Based Interview today and I found it much easier having read this thread. Thank you to all who have contributed.

For the role play you don't know any detail about the situation until it begins, but you do get 5 mins to look through what they expect of you/what they are looking for and some detail about a few situations and regulations which give you an idea of possible situations. Don't worry too much about the rules and regs, my advice would be to ask lots of questions to understand what the situation is then just focus on being calm, empathetic and providing alternatives while being personable yet firm.

For the Scenario Based Interview, you have a scenario similar to the role play but with a bit more complexity which you are expected to read and present how you would respond. You have 10 mins to prepare and then a few more questions about the scenario and yourself afterwards. I was nervous going into it but found it fine and everyone wants you to succeed. So good luck.
Thanks for the info

Flex231

Got the role play exercise tomorrow. Just wanted to say this whole thread has been a very informative and great read.

Maki

Reed background checks usually take around 2 weeks (depends on how long your references take) could be longer.
Also depends on the start dates you selected on your onboarding documents, if you don’t mind me asking which dates did they have available.
Medical is usually booked in after the Reed background checks are complete.
My medical is booked for a week before my start date and I still haven’t received a contract. Contracts are usually sent around 3 weeks before your start date but I heard some people have received their contracts 2 weeks before start date.
They do send you an email about confirming a date for training though.
Thanks for the info!

The dates I was sent were from the 15th of this month (which I knew I couldn't choose as that was when I received the conditional offer) all the way through to the 27th of May.

Got the role play exercise tomorrow. Just wanted to say this whole thread has been a very informative and great read.
Best of luck!

Henry68

Hi, does anybody know how TfL pay when you start csa training, the contract says four weekly intervals. Does that mean every 4 weeks from when you start

bluegoblin7

Established Member
No. LUL pay in arrears* on a four weekly basis, which for operational staff is next on April 3.

As a guide, payroll runs the Wednesday before and this will decide when your first payday should be.

It can take a time to adjust to a four weekly cycle but personally I could now never go back to monthly pay!

*Technically you are payed primarily in arrears but slightly in advance as LU weeks run Sunday to Saturday. If you subsequently had changes after payroll runs you’d get any relevant deductions in the month following.

Carpetsgalore

Back from the Roleplay and SBI interview. Feel like I did well.
I have both coming up next week. Would you mind to elaborate on the Sbi interview and what sort of directions the questions went in please?
A few earlier posters have basically said if you read and absorb the pre briefing it will equip you for the interview, would you agree?
Thanks

Henry68

No. LUL pay in arrears* on a four weekly basis, which for operational staff is next on April 3.

As a guide, payroll runs the Wednesday before and this will decide when your first payday should be.

It can take a time to adjust to a four weekly cycle but personally I could now never go back to monthly pay!

*Technically you are payed primarily in arrears but slightly in advance as LU weeks run Sunday to Saturday. If you subsequently had changes after payroll runs you’d get any relevant deductions in the month following.
So if you start in the middle of April, you will receive your first pay in May 4 weeks after you start or 4 weeks after April 3rd?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Start April 1 to April 22 you’ll be paid May 1.
Start April 29 to May 20 you’ll be paid May 29.
Start May 27 to June 17 you’ll be paid June 26.

Etc.

Caveat if starting on 22/04, 20/05, 17/06 it could get pushed to the next date if there’s delays getting pay roll set up for whatever reason, as it runs the Tuesday/Wednesday of those weeks.

CLAUBALMANT

Hi all.
I have recently passed my stage two assessment and have been invited by tfl for stage 3 which is a role play exercise and scenario based interview. There is quite a bit of useful info earlier in this thread regarding the role play exercise.
Can anyone give more advice on what to expect during the scenario based interview please? As the pdf they sent with the invitation email was general and vague.
Thanks

The questions you will be asked are common sense questions, they are not difficult at all.
However you have to answer them in limited time which makes the test tricky. Be prepared to work fast but not so fast that you lose concentration and focus.
thank
Hi all.
I have recently passed my stage two assessment and have been invited by tfl for stage 3 which is a role play exercise and scenario based interview. There is quite a bit of useful info earlier in this thread regarding the role play exercise.
Can anyone give more advice on what to expect during the scenario based interview please? As the pdf they sent with the invitation email was general and vague.
Thanks

The questions you will be asked are common sense questions, they are not difficult at all.
However you have to answer them in limited time which makes the test tricky. Be prepared to work fast but not so fast that you lose concentration and fo

Hi all.
Thanks

However you have to answer them in limited time which makes the test tricky. Be prepared to work fast but not so fast that you lose concentration and focus.
It was all good and I received an invitation for the role-play and interview also... Thank you for your help and good luck on your journey.

Holdonwait

I have both coming up next week. Would you mind to elaborate on the Sbi interview and what sort of directions the questions went in please?
A few earlier posters have basically said if you read and absorb the pre briefing it will equip you for the interview, would you agree?
Thanks
You have to read and understand the email they give you when you book the assessment. It tells you what they are looking for.

I opted to use the STAR method to structure my answer.

Until you get to see the scenario they give you there is not too much you can prepare for, you just have to try to make sure you understand the competencies they are assessing on and try to implement that into your answer.

Good luck!

San.

Start April 1 to April 22 you’ll be paid May 1.
Start April 29 to May 20 you’ll be paid May 29.
Start May 27 to June 17 you’ll be paid June 26.

Etc.

Caveat if starting on 22/04, 20/05, 17/06 it could get pushed to the next date if there’s delays getting pay roll set up for whatever reason, as it runs the Tuesday/Wednesday of those weeks.

Oh that's good to know, thanks will be starting on 8th.

So is training all in Ashfield house?

Carpetsgalore

You have to read and understand the email they give you when you book the assessment. It tells you what they are looking for.

I opted to use the STAR method to structure my answer.

Until you get to see the scenario they give you there is not too much you can prepare for, you just have to try to make sure you understand the competencies they are assessing on and try to implement that into your answer.

Good luck!
Cheers mate

CLAUBALMANT

Hi all,

How long after the Written Communication Test and the Data Interpretation Test were you able to schedule an interview?

moonie95

Hi all,

How long after the Written Communication Test and the Data Interpretation Test were you able to schedule an interview?
Just check the booking page scheduling centre around 11am Monday to Friday to check if any bookings available. They add dates and times to book

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Oh that's good to know, thanks will be starting on 8th.

So is training all in Ashfield house?
Most of the classroom-based training is at Ashfield House but you will do practical elements elsewhere in zone 1. Your trainers will advise you of these.

Location-based training/familiarisation will follow at your permanent location.

moonie95

Got an email today with contract and confirmation of start date. Just need the medical done.

mrldn

Hi I’ve got my Written Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Test coming up soon. Just wanted to confirm is it a grammar test, ticket validation and underground map test? Any tips and tricks would be appreciated? Also what did you guys wear?

Last edited:

Henry1205

When did you do your SBI. Did mine on Wednesday and still awaiting results.
hello Thailah please have just been invited to undertake CSA2 assessment, can you please advise me on what to expect or just a clue. can anyone help please?

can anyone please give a clue of what to expect? i just have few hours left to start the assessment.

thailah2

hello Thailah please have just been invited to undertake CSA2 assessment, can you please advise me on what to expect or just a clue. can anyone help please?

can anyone please give a clue of what to expect? i just have few hours left to start the assessment.
Are you talking about the first assessment? If so, honestly I dont remember it that much but I believe you'll be able to do it as it only required simple maths and English.

The second assessment is mostly about time management as they time you quite quickly. It's mainly about reading tickets and maps as well as some comprehension skills.

The third one was the hardest one for me. You need to do a roleplay and then a one on one interview. Not sure what I can say about this but just make sure to read the sheet they give you as that basically has the answers they want to see in the roleplay.

LadyTee

Hello
When we get given a start date are we allowed to decline and ask for a later start date that is later on in the year or not?

Shezu

Hello
When we get given a start date are we allowed to decline and ask for a later start date that is later on in the year or not?
They have several training dates that you can choose from, they send you a list of training dates that you have the options to choose from.

dazzag

Hi all new here . Im a postie of 28yrs and possibly looking for a new challenge due to job going through huge changes for the worst now and in the years ahead.
Does anyone know if there is anymore vacancies coming up ? I did see that there is huge amount apply which sort of puts me off really but il give it a go as always always wanted to work on the underground. Maybe a distant dream but who knows

Anyone heard anything ref more vacancies coming up ?