• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 intake)

Chirish

Lots of advice on here, and on the other the other related thread. To be honest I'd probably just be repeating what you've already read.

Just try to be personable, honest and be prepared as much as possible, carefully going through the assesment details. Which is what you're doing messaging on here. If you're doing this, you probably will smash it DW.

There's a couple YouTube vids, but basically they'll be after STAR interview questions.

Show how you dealt with troublesome events or customer service and came to a conclusion that's positive, and show how you have prepared yourself.

Are you NT CSA1? or ft 2?

Good luck!

Hey Chirish, I have my third AC, the competency based interview on MS Teams, on the 23rd. Do you have any tips, advice or knowledge that you could please give me?
I really do need this job and honestly want to smash it and pass this last stage.

Silent treatment for those with offers. Training for Night Tube to start in 2024 - not sure when exactly.

According to a FOI, there’s still those from the 2021 NT campaign waiting to start too.
I have to reign in my excitement and find other digs to do at least temporarily.

Hopefully they'll get us in before 2026.. (Major pension changes), however the fact the wait list from 21 is still substantial is pretty concerning though..

Perhaps they're waiting to eventually open NT on the Abbey Wood branch of the Lizzy line.. Makes sense why they'd need a big team to go live for the line.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I have to reign in my excitement and find other digs to do at least temporarily.

Hopefully they'll get us in before 2026.. (Major pension changes), however the fact the wait list from 21 is still substantial is pretty concerning though..

Perhaps they're waiting to eventually open NT on the Abbey Wood branch of the Lizzy line.. Makes sense why they'd need a big team to go live for the line.
Night Crossrail would be manned by MTR Elizabeth Line staff (or STM agency if they can't fill positions!) as it's operated by them on concession to TfL. We won't be assigned to that line as we're LUL staff.

Going back to LU, there is always a high turnover of CSAs as most use the role as an initial stepping stone + the shortages of staff caused by Covid and a lack of trainers.

We will definitely start before the end of next year.

MZM

Lots of advice on here, and on the other the other related thread. To be honest I'd probably just be repeating what you've already read.

Just try to be personable, honest and be prepared as much as possible, carefully going through the assesment details. Which is what you're doing messaging on here. If you're doing this, you probably will smash it DW.

There's a couple YouTube vids, but basically they'll be after STAR interview questions.

Show how you dealt with troublesome events or customer service and came to a conclusion that's positive, and show how you have prepared yourself.

Good luck!

First of all, thank you for the detailed response, answering my questions.
If you don't mind, can you provide the link to any other threads with the exception of this thread, as I can't find them.
I'll stick to and focus on the STAR method and prepare basic expected interview questions.

dub

Good luck!

You might want to check the date on that Diamond Geezer blog post

DavyCrocket

Night Crossrail would be manned by MTR Elizabeth Line staff (or STM agency if they can't fill positions!) as it's operated by them on concession to TfL. We won't be assigned to that line as we're LUL staff.

Going back to LU, there is always a high turnover of CSAs as most use the role as an initial stepping stone + the shortages of staff caused by Covid and a lack of trainers.

We will definitely start before the end of next year.

Farringdon, Moorgate and Whitechapel would require additional night tube CSA staff for an overnight Elizabeth line service

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Farringdon, Moorgate and Whitechapel would require additional night tube CSA staff for an overnight Elizabeth line service

Surely all 5 London Underground managed stations would need additional staff if it happened?

Ultimately this is purely speculative though and I'd ask for any further discussion to be placed in the "Speculative Discussion" forum.

melody

My friend applied for this online and passed through to the online assessment, however it looks like they got rid of the personality test and replaced it with mini games, two of each are maze type and one being quick mathematics. Anyone had the same? Apparently the maths one is close to impossible to complete due to having limited time for each equation!?

MZM

Good luck!

Just finished the interview, It went pretty well in my opinion, they thanked me for each response, and they went into detail asking for more about each situation which I answered. They asked me about any planned holidays, leaves and notice period which I answered no to, but they said best of luck with my future and career, does this mean I didn't pass or anything, or is that what they say to everyone?[/url]

Skyflyer

Just finished the interview, It went pretty well in my opinion, they thanked me for each response, and they went into detail asking for more about each situation which I answered. They asked me about any planned holidays, leaves and notice period which I answered no to, but they said best of luck with my future and career, does this mean I didn't pass or anything, or is that what they say to everyone?[/url]
I was also asked the same about planned holidays and notice periods. Ten days later I had the email to say I was successful in the whole process. I am now waiting for Reed screening and a medical which hopefully will lead to a training course, which I believe will not be until next year. Good luck with your outcome.

MZM

I was also asked the same about planned holidays and notice periods. Ten days later I had the email to say I was successful in the whole process. I am now waiting for Reed screening and a medical which hopefully will lead to a training course, which I believe will not be until next year. Good luck with your outcome.
Well done! But do you think I passed, they were smiling throughout and I didn’t answer any question badly, and each detail they asked I answered.

Skyflyer

Well done! But do you think I passed, they were smiling throughout and I didn’t answer any question badly, and each detail they asked I answered.
To be honest I thought I did not do well but I felt I was enthusiastic. I think that shone through. If you felt it went well then you must have had a good interview. Good luck.

MZM

To be honest I thought I did not do well but I felt I was enthusiastic. I think that shone through. If you felt it went well then you must have had a good interview. Good luck.
That's fine, I'm so nervous still waiting for a result, hoping its a pass and the long process can finally be over and I get the job!

Did anyone get an email about voluntarily moving to the CSA2 role?

In the email it also says that vacancies for NT are low and training is to start in mid-2024!

melody

Did anyone get an email about voluntarily moving to the CSA2 role?

In the email it also says that vacancies for NT are low and training is to start in mid-2024!
Got that email as well. I'm thinking of taking it. I know the pay/grade is lower, but I want my foot in as soon as possible. Are you going to take it?

Mawkie

Got that email as well. I'm thinking of taking it. I know the pay/grade is lower, but I want my foot in as soon as possible. Are you going to take it?
If you can survive on the salary, then getting a foot in the door seems like a pragmatic decision. As soon as you are trained and in position there is often overtime, and you can ask to be trained (and therefore licenced) as a CSA1 and do 'Higher Grade Working' when available.

MZM

Man, I spent so long preparing for this job and I feel I'm suitable, this was the email I got.

Dear ,

Thank you for attending the assessment for Customer Service Assistant 1 - Night Tube. Unfortunately, you did not meet the required benchmark to pass the assessment, so your application won’t progress to the next stage of the recruitment process on this occasion.

Thank you for the time you spent preparing for this role. We would like to take this opportunity to wish you success for the future.

Kind Regards,

TFL High Volume Recruitment Team

Is there anything else I can do or does my journey end here?

Naaah, I have commitments during the week, plus CSA1 is a higher grade!
If you can survive on the salary, then getting a foot in the door seems like a pragmatic decision. As soon as you are trained and in position there is often overtime, and you can ask to be trained (and therefore licenced) as a CSA1 and do 'Higher Grade Working' when available.
Basically what Mawkie said

Man, I spent so long preparing for this job and I feel I'm suitable, this was the email I got.

Dear ,

Thank you for attending the assessment for Customer Service Assistant 1 - Night Tube. Unfortunately, you did not meet the required benchmark to pass the assessment, so your application won’t progress to the next stage of the recruitment process on this occasion.

Thank you for the time you spent preparing for this role. We would like to take this opportunity to wish you success for the future.

Kind Regards,

TFL High Volume Recruitment Team

Is there anything else I can do or does my journey end here?
Commiserations : (. In terms of getting into LU - not for a long time as you can't apply for the recent CSA2 application and as per TfL there isn't a huge business requirement for CSA1 staff.

However, keep on checking the Taleo page for other customer service/operational roles in other departments, for example, Victoria Coach Station, London Transport Museum etc

My friend applied for this online and passed through to the online assessment, however it looks like they got rid of the personality test and replaced it with mini games, two of each are maze type and one being quick mathematics. Anyone had the same? Apparently the maths one is close to impossible to complete due to having limited time for each equation!?
Yes I had the same, I have been invited for the physical accessment now.

hi Mabz, I have a Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Test coming up. I can not however download the practice material from the link. The link seems to be broken. Can you help please ?I have a Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Test coming up.
I have a Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Test coming up tomorrow, I wouldn't mind any hint what I should be expecting, what to prepare and study for thanks

Pipa

Commiserations : (. In terms of getting into LU - not for a long time as you can't apply for the recent CSA2 application and as per TfL there isn't a huge business requirement for CSA1 staff.

However, keep on checking the Taleo page for other customer service/operational roles in other departments, for example, Victoria Coach Station, London Transport Museum etc
Hello, do you know if I apply for the London transport museum job, can that help me get jobs in the future at the stations???

What's the difference between csa1 and csa2??

I have a Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Test coming up tomorrow, I wouldn't mind any hint what I should be expecting, what to prepare and study for thanks
It's common knowledge, what they've sent you go through that. Data interpretation really easy. Just looking of tickets are valid. Train timetables etc. Communication is just checking your English grammer etc. Make sure your handwriting is neat as they check that too

Want for next year if they do recruitment again, I failed my role play, thought I can apply again this year but can't

Mawkie

The grades were clearly defined, but have got more blurred over time.

Essentially, a CSA1 is trained for safety critical work (SATS on platforms, resetting lifts/escalators, emergency evacuations etc). CSA2 is not safety critically trained, so would usually remain on the unpaid side of the barriers, by the POMS (ticket machines) and dealing with customer enquiries.

In reality, on a day-to-day basis, the biggest difference is the pay!

KingKiev123

CSA2s coming through training now are being trained with a CSA1 license. This is allowing the company to assign them CSA 1 shifts when needed and paying CSA1 money for those shifts but still paying the CSA2 salary overall.

Mawkie

CSA2s coming through training now are being trained with a CSA1 license. This is allowing the company to assign them CSA 1 shifts when needed and paying CSA1 money for those shifts but still paying the CSA2 salary overall.
Typical LU style.

(Good to know though, so thanks for the info)

Pipa

The grades were clearly defined, but have got more blurred over time.

Essentially, a CSA1 is trained for safety critical work (SATS on platforms, resetting lifts/escalators, emergency evacuations etc). CSA2 is not safety critically trained, so would usually remain on the unpaid side of the barriers, by the POMS (ticket machines) and dealing with customer enquiries.

In reality, on a day-to-day basis, the biggest difference is the pay!
Thank you would you be able to answer my question on the museum and getting into the LU. Would I easily be able to get into other areas of the underground if I take up job like this. Or is iy just the csa jobs, that enable you to further your career at LU??

Mawkie

Thank you would you be able to answer my question on the museum and getting into the LU. Would I easily be able to get into other areas of the underground if I take up job like this. Or is iy just the csa jobs, that enable you to further your career at LU??
Confirmed that anyone within TfL is eligible to apply for operational vacancies (including train operator) after 6 months. And I can confirm that many people from all over the company are successful.

Pipa

Confirmed that anyone within TfL is eligible to apply for operational vacancies (including train operator) after 6 months. And I can confirm that many people from all over the company are successful.
Thank you so much

coffeetable

I received this email a few days ago:

Would you like to be considered for CSA full-time?

At present, the number of current live vacancies is low; therefore, it is unlikely that we will be continuing with CSA Night Tube Training until mid-2024.

Our current focus is on full-time CSA2 positions, as there are a number of upcoming training courses to be filled. Therefore, we are giving you the opportunity to switch from your current Night Tube waitlist to the full-time waitlist, meaning you will have a stronger chance of commencing your role as a CSA sooner.

We are offering these full-time positions on a first-come, first-served basis; additionally, you will need to be available to commence training in January and February 2024. If you are unable to attend these dates, you will remain on the Night Tube waiting list.

If you decide to move to Full-Time CSA2, you will need to commit to working 35 hours per week. You must also be prepared to work a shift pattern that will involve late nights and early starts. Each shift is approximately seven and a half hours long, and shifts start as early as 04:30 and finish as late as 01:30. You will also be required to work a variety of shift patterns.

The salary is £30,381.

Personally, I'm going to stick with Night Tube and wait till mid-2024.

Hello, do you know if I apply for the London transport museum job, can that help me get jobs in the future at the stations???

It's common knowledge, what they've sent you go through that. Data interpretation really easy. Just looking of tickets are valid. Train timetables etc. Communication is just checking your English grammer etc. Make sure your handwriting is neat as they check that too

Want for next year if they do recruitment again, I failed my role play, thought I can apply again this year but can't
Thanks alot pipa have been invited for next stage, they said interview in the mail but I believe it's the roleplay stage

zee23

Thanks alot pipa have been invited for next stage, they said interview in the mail but I believe it's the roleplay stage
Wow, that was fast.

You had the written and data interpretation stage yesterday right?

Congratulations on scaling to the next stage .

Had mine today, the times were very short I had one unanswered question in the last part - map and timetable interpretation
I hope I make it to the next stage

Wow, that was fast.

You had the written and data interpretation stage yesterday right?

Congratulations on scaling to the next stage .

Had mine today, the times were very short I had one unanswered question in the last part - map and timetable interpretation
I hope I make it to the next stage
You should, I only answered 4 questions in the map interpretation, but completed the whole ticket interpretation, i just made sure the 4 was correct because it was time consuming, yes I did it yesterday, a few of my friends that we completed it together yesterday are yet to get any email and they are so worried