• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long term restrictions, lockdowns, etc and the implications on mental health

Is your mental health suffering as a result of Coronavirus fatigue, ongoing restrictions, etc?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Is your mental health suffering as a result of all these seemingly never-ending restrictions, local(or even national in the case of Wales and Northern Ireland at the moment) lockdowns, etc? I've set up a poll. Though you do not need to go into details of how your mental health is suffering if you do not wish to.

For me, I'm really struggling with my mental health again as a result of these seemingly never ending restrictions. Back in the summer when the lockdown was steadily being eased every 2/3/4 weeks and the Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospital admissions, etc were falling week by week, I was feeling quite optimistic that within say 3 to 4 months time all these restrictions such as social distancing and face mask wearing would be scrapped, and life would be pretty much back to normal. Indeed even Boris himself said back in July that he hopes the remaining restrictions would be lifted from November, and that life should be back to near normal by Christmas. But since then of course, things have gone in the opposite direction due to this blasted second wave of Coronavirus, with stricter rules/laws being introduced and much of the country is in some form of lockdown now(I'm in a Tier 1 area, but wouldn't be atall surprised if we get moved into Tier 2 over the next few weeks). Like was the situation back in late March and April, there now appears to be no end in sight again now!

Even though I limit my watching of the TV news, I'm really sick of all this never ending Coronavirus news and the problems it is causing. The government aren't helping atall what with them saying things like "We refuse to rule out a complete national lockdown." and in talks of introducing a more severe Tier 4 lockdown category, etc. It's even more difficult to find a job now due to these never-ending social distancing guidelines, etc. Also I've not been able to enjoy a short break abroad because of all these restrictions. I've also not even been able to enjoy a relaxing spa(sauna & steam room) session for months, as a lot of them still aren't even open or the ones that are make it not very practical to do so because of these "Covid restrictions"! Wasn't able to goto any festivals this year because of all this. And going to festivals are good for mental health. A lot of the good things in life are not possible at the moment! Anyway, I for one feel very worn out and run down. Life is just FAR from normal. It's been like this for 7 months and still no end in sight!

Winter is coming. And many will find their mental health takes a more severe battering during these months because of these restrictions continuing, and more regions going into tougher lockdowns. And unlike during the summer, people won't be able to enjoy a few hours/day out enjoying the nice weather. Some people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder(though not me personally), and will find it really tough going this winter......

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I felt ok during most of the initial lockdown (once I was over the change of routine, anyhow) - there seemed to be some coherence, it seemed like the right thing to do etc.

I think the ever changing nature, particularly, of the current restrictions is becoming very draining. In fact, I had forgotten that area where I work had changed tier recently until a colleague passed comment earlier today.

So whilst I wouldn’t say I’m feeling very badly affected mentally at the moment, it is certainly having some effect

bramling

Veteran Member
Is your mental health suffering as a result of all these seemingly never-ending restrictions, local(or even national in the case of Wales and Northern Ireland at the moment) lockdowns, etc? I've set up a poll. Though you do not need to go into details of how your mental health is suffering if you do not wish to.

For me, I'm really struggling with my mental health again as a result of these seemingly never ending restrictions. Back in the summer when the lockdown was steadily being eased every 2/3/4 weeks and the Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospital admissions, etc were falling week by week, I was feeling quite optimistic that within say 3 to 4 months time all these restrictions such as social distancing and face mask wearing would be scrapped, and life would be pretty much back to normal. Indeed even Boris himself said back in July that he hopes the remaining restrictions would be lifted from November, and that life should be back to near normal by Christmas. But since then of course, things have gone in the opposite direction due to this blasted second wave of Coronavirus, with stricter rules/laws being introduced and much of the country is in some form of lockdown now(I'm in a Tier 1 area, but wouldn't be atall surprised if we get moved into Tier 2 over the next few weeks). Like was the situation back in late March and April, there now appears to be no end in sight again now!

Even though I limit my watching of the TV news, I'm really sick of all this never ending Coronavirus news and the problems it is causing. The government aren't helping atall what with them saying things like "We refuse to rule out a complete national lockdown." and in talks of introducing a more severe Tier 4 lockdown category, etc. It's even more difficult to find a job now due to these never-ending social distancing guidelines, etc. Also I've not been able to enjoy a short break abroad because of all these restrictions. I've also not even been able to enjoy a relaxing spa(sauna & steam room) session for months, as a lot of them still aren't even open or the ones that are make it not very practical to do so because of these "Covid restrictions"! Wasn't able to goto any festivals this year because of all this. And going to festivals are good for mental health. A lot of the good things in life are not possible at the moment! Anyway, I for one feel very worn out and run down. Life is just FAR from normal. It's been like this for 7 months and still no end in sight!

Winter is coming. And many will find their mental health takes a more severe battering during these months because of these restrictions continuing, and more regions going into tougher lockdowns. And unlike during the summer, people won't be able to enjoy a few hours/day out enjoying the nice weather. Some people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder(though not me personally), and will find it really tough going this winter......

I don’t know about mental health per-se, but I’m certainly feeling fatigued. A lot of people I associate with are saying the same.

I put this down to a combination of things, lack of quality leisure time being one, the constant drip-feed of restrictions being another. But also the way certain things are now a bit of a battle - even just going out for a walk across fields yesterday we had the usual handful of quivering wrecks who make a big drama out of passing on footpaths - I don't really know why it feels such a big thing as in reality it’s pretty minor, but for some reason the awkwardness of it grates, I think it’s the dagger looks which turns what should be a relaxing walk into a conflict scenario.

Another factor is work has now turned into a Covid warzone. Back in April / May it was reasonably untouched, so one felt a certain ownership of taking Covid precautions. Since then the Covid police have well and truly been round, and now pretty much every aspect of work is impinged upon. So work has gone from being a bit of a pleasant outlet to a total chore.

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
A lot of the restrictions in the workplace are down to ignorance of what the regulations actually are, and mid ranking managers wanting to look important. You will not find one bit of hazard tape in a hospital, for example. No one way systems. Just hand sanitiser, which would normally be there anyway, and the occasional sign reminding you to keep your distance.

DustyBin

Established Member
I felt ok during most of the initial lockdown (once I was over the change of routine, anyhow) - there seemed to be some coherence, it seemed like the right thing to do etc.

I think the ever changing nature, particularly, of the current restrictions is becoming very draining. In fact, I had forgotten that area where I work had changed tier recently until a colleague passed comment earlier today.

So whilst I wouldn’t say I’m feeling very badly affected mentally at the moment, it is certainly having some effect

I can relate to this. I should add that whilst I’m not yet losing sleep over it, I’m increasingly concerned about my job. If they continue with this campaign against the hospitality industry it will be a case if ‘when’ not ‘if’....

A lot of the restrictions in the workplace are down to ignorance of what the regulations actually are, and mid ranking managers wanting to look important. You will not find one bit of hazard tape in a hospital, for example. No one way systems. Just hand sanitiser, which would normally be there anyway, and the occasional sign reminding you to keep your distance.

Very true!

Class 33

Established Member
Interesting to see the results so far.

To those 12% who are doing absolutely fine through all this, well good for you that you are managing so well and not letting it effect you.

But then there's 32% of you whose mental health is suffering badly, and 54% of you whose mental health is effected only mildly. But that's still a staggering 86% of you whose mental health is suffering because of all this.

The votes on this poll is probably too small numbers and not a diverse enough range of people to give a true idea of how the whole of the UK mental health is right now. But if it's anywhere near as bad as the results of this poll so far, then this is really pretty grim.

But I imagine things are going to get a lot worst over the coming several weeks now. What with more areas upgraded to Tier 2 and Tier 3 lockdowns, possibility of a Tier 4 lockdown introduced, and pressure on Johnson from SAGE and numerous MP's to put the entire country into full lockdown. It's looking set to be an absolutely dreadful winter ahead of us.

Also a reminder you are able to change your vote. So if for example you voted only suffering mildly, but this then becomes worst, then you can change your vote.

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm a generally positive person, and with the initial lockdown period in spring I was fine with it - it was annoying as I had many plans cancelled, but I looked at the benefits (saving money, getting in touch with people I wouldn't normally speak to online, etc.) and it wasn't a terrible period at all. Especially as the weather was nice.

Now, I've postponed many of this year's plans to next year expecting a normal life again, but I don't feel that now. I'm missing simple pleasures in life, like spontaneous visits to the pubs with friends and indeed my main hobby - travelling. I've cancelled seven trips now this year (although I'm taking the quarantine hit and doing a big one next month to various places, I can't sit around here anymore). I've realised my job is utterly boring without the fun stuff (most around organising events and meetings, both here and overseas, and the various conferences I enjoyed), as well as the social life I had in the office. I'm trying to plan a wedding next year, but it's hard to do as I just have no idea what will be allowed. At the moment its illegal to visit my parents in Scotland, even though my mum has become quite frail lately. It's starting to hit me now, to the point I actually cried in front of a friend the other week - which I don't think I've done in my adult life.

I don't want to complain too much as I've still got a nice life, and I live with my fiancee in a place with a garden, so I don't have the loneliness or the cabin fever so many other people must have, and I've got my health still, which again is hitting other people more. So all those positivies keep me going most of the time, so I voted 'mildly' above. But I'm not sure if I can sustain that thinking all winter if this goes on!

Richard Scott

Established Member
I'm a generally positive person, and with the initial lockdown period in spring I was fine with it - it was annoying as I had many plans cancelled, but I looked at the benefits (saving money, getting in touch with people I wouldn't normally speak to online, etc.) and it wasn't a terrible period at all. Especially as the weather was nice.

Now, I've postponed many of this year's plans to next year expecting a normal life again, but I don't feel that now. I'm missing simple pleasures in life, like spontaneous visits to the pubs with friends and indeed my main hobby - travelling. I've cancelled seven trips now this year (although I'm taking the quarantine hit and doing a big one next month to various places, I can't sit around here anymore). I've realised my job is utterly boring without the fun stuff (most around organising events and meetings, both here and overseas, and the various conferences I enjoyed), as well as the social life I had in the office. I'm trying to plan a wedding next year, but it's hard to do as I just have no idea what will be allowed. At the moment its illegal to visit my parents in Scotland, even though my mum has become quite frail lately. It's starting to hit me now, to the point I actually cried in front of a friend the other week - which I don't think I've done in my adult life.

I don't want to complain too much as I've still got a nice life, and I live with my fiancee in a place with a garden, so I don't have the loneliness or the cabin fever so many other people must have, and I've got my health still, which again is hitting other people more. So all those positivies keep me going most of the time, so I voted 'mildly' above. But I'm not sure if I can sustain that thinking all winter if this goes on!
I think a number of people are heading the same way from those I've spoken to. I have found this hard from a point of view that I can't travel, organise/attend social events, go on visits with work etc. I'm usually very positive but persistent negative news with no sign of an end is getting me down along with the ever impending threat of more masks. I cannot believe there are that many people in favour of these restrictions now as very few people I've spoken to are, and my job involves a lot of people contact so it's not limited to thoughts of friends and family. I've now resorted to regularly venting my spleen by emailing Welsh Assembly and local MP. Won't make any difference but makes me feel better.

MikeWM

Established Member
I'm probably in a better position than 99% of people. I live alone (by choice) in a fairly nice house in a fairly nice area. I have a garden. The countryside is only five minutes walk away. I'm not terribly sociable or a big pub-goer. I don't go to nightclubs or festivals or sports. My job is fairly secure (insomuch as any job is at the moment) and I can work from home fine. I don't have to worry myself with education of young ones or care of old ones. I'm not 'missing out' on the University experience, or the fun you should be having in your 20s. I'm not trying to do anything complicated like buying a house or organising a wedding. I have no (immediate) family medical concerns.

Nevertheless, this has had an impact of my mental health, no doubt about it. I've picked mild, because currently it is. I've suffered from depression in the past, so I know what that's like, and this isn't it. But there is definitely an effect. More up and down than usual is probably the simplest way to describe it.

Notably, there were a few days - I think in August - when I woke up to something that I suppose I can only really describe as a mild panic attack. I'm not really sure what I was 'panicing' *about*, but it wasn't pleasant. This has happened to me before, but very infrequently, and usually for an obvious reason, so this was unusual. Fortunately, for whatever reason, that stopped within a week or so.

Ostrich

I've checked the mildly suffering category - got through the March / April lockdown without any problem after a bit of lifestyle modification (no eating out, no footie) but the relentless drip of "bad news" and the increasingly authoritarian stance society seems to be taking is now having its effect ....

Jamiescott1

Not necessarily mental health but anger when I go out and get stuck with a bureaucrat or jumped up little Hitler.
I would of never shouted or been rude to any person in a public facing job but since march I have been quite often.
I usually regret it afterwards but just see the red mist

Bantamzen

Established Member
Not necessarily mental health but anger when I go out and get stuck with a bureaucrat or jumped up little Hitler.
I would of never shouted or been rude to any person in a public facing job but since march I have been quite often.
I usually regret it afterwards but just see the red mist

I must admit I am finding myself increasingly angry at people acting like idiots trying to enforce many of the government's rules. From the turnip-for-brains management that came up with the Leeds station one way system, to people acting as self-imposed covid marshals. My patience is wafer thin right now and if anyone of these types has a go at me or anyone around they'll be getting a piece of my mind.

But the ongoing an ever increasing restrictions are taking their toll. My mood is a lot darker than it has been for many years, my self motivation to keep working from home is all but spent, and after years of keeping it well under check my anxiety is back with a vengeance. Its going to be a very hard winter.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'm finding it very hard not knowing if or when this is going to end. Back in March, we all had the feeling the lockdown was just a temporary 'blip' to our lives. I even said to my parents at the time - come August/September we should be back to normal. I'm now feeling like I'm caught up in a black hole with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I looked at a Australian holiday in December 2021, but I'm not prepared to book anything, because at this rate we'll still be under some sort of national restriction by 2025!!!

I am starting to have misgivings now about whether any of us will ever be able to go to a football match again, enjoy a steam after a gym work out, go in a night club and mingle around a dance floor, go to a music concert, even going to a pub and staying until midnight with a group of friends getting drunk and not ordering any food.

My five year old nephew has been sent home from school twice since September because a child in his class has tested positive for Covid19. He has to stay at home for two weeks even though he hasn't got it. He has mild Autism and my brother is really concerned now that the six months he had off from March and now all this further nonscene is going to affect his education and his development.

Schools are being massively disrupted - next years G.C.S.E. exams have been delayed by three weeks, but I reckon they will cancel them altogether at this rate and implement the grading system they have done this year. Our younger generation are missing out on their education which is going to impact on their futures and this should not be happening.

I am getting increasing annoyed by the fact we are destroying the economy, people are losing jobs like Lemmings, education is being massively disrupted, people with cancer are being denied vital medical treatment, people suffering from drug/alcohol problems are not getting access to key services.....I could go on! For what? To stop a very very small proportion of the population from dying.

Yesterday, it was announced comedian Bobby Ball had died after testing positive for Covid19, but they have not released further details of his underlining health problems. I suspect he hasn't been well for a while and the Covid virus has accelerated the inevitable.

My point is that 66 million people are being made to suffer by a virus that will do them no more harm than Flu or a cold. I'm completely and utterly fed up of the government's do's & don'ts - we have Tier 1, 2 & 3, then we were told a Tier 4 could be introduced, then Bristol was being put in a Tier 1+ (is that platinum treatment for stop spreading the virus!!!). I'm waiting for the Tier 'Redemption' or maybe Tier 'Ulimation' next, as it starting to feel like some sort of badly acted film series with Boris Johnson as director.

I do hope as a country we hit the 'crunch' sooner rather than later. The crunch will be when the Chancellor can no longer financially support businesses (Sunak has already stated it cannot go on forever) so people will have to go back to their work places and simply get on with it. The 'crunch' will also be when BJ final realises the scale of the economic timebomb and the mounting issue with non-Covid illness not getting medical treatments, will become a much greater priority than the virus itself.

CJ

seagull

I had been doing fine while I thought that it would be just one year's sacrifice for the greater good.
But now that events next year are already being cancelled, and we seem to be heading towards a full winter of lockdown and restrictions and with no real end in sight, yes, I would say I'm feeling pretty fed up of it all, and I'm usually an optimist.

Jamiescott1

I must admit I am finding myself increasingly angry at people acting like idiots trying to enforce many of the government's rules. From the turnip-for-brains management that came up with the Leeds station one way system, to people acting as self-imposed covid marshals. My patience is wafer thin right now and if anyone of these types has a go at me or anyone around they'll be getting a piece of my mind.

But the ongoing an ever increasing restrictions are taking their toll. My mood is a lot darker than it has been for many years, my self motivation to keep working from home is all but spent, and after years of keeping it well under check my anxiety is back with a vengeance. Its going to be a very hard winter.

I snapped at a guy in tk maxx yesterday.
The store had about 10 people in it.
At the entrance / exit there is a display measuring approx 1metre x 1metre. I entered the store and walked to the left of the display. An employee in a bright yellow vest told me i have to come back and go to the right of the display to enter.
I asked him "how many lives will I save by doing that".
On the way out I made a point to exit on the same side of the display walking into people entering the store, telling the employee that on the way in you told me to walk on this side.

duncanp

Established Member
I do hope as a country we hit the 'crunch' sooner rather than later. The crunch will be when the Chancellor can no longer financially support businesses (Sunak has already stated it cannot go on forever) so people will have to go back to their work places and simply get on with it. The 'crunch' will also be when BJ final realises the scale of the economic timebomb and the mounting issue with non-Covid illness not getting medical treatments, will become a much greater priority than the virus itself.

Agree with this 110%.

It won't be just when Boris Johnson realises the scale of the economic timebomb though.

It will be when everyone else realises it as well.

We are just coming to the end of the furlough scheme, and the replacement Job Support Scheme will be very expensive the more and more areas which are added to Tier 3, where businesses are required to close.

If a second national lockdown does happen before Christmas, it may well be the final straw for the retail and hospitality sector, who have probably been hanging on in the hope that the Christmas and New Year season will at least make up some of the losses they have suffered this year. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that a major retailer such as Marks & Spencer or John Lewis (they have already closed their flagship store in the Grand Central development at Birmingham New Street station) goes into administration.

The other crunch point is going to be the budget, when we finally realise just how much we are all going to have to pay for the costs of the lockdown(s).

DB

For what? To stop a very very small proportion of the population from dying.

In many cases it's more a case of delaying their dying for a few months, because a large number of people who die with Covid already have serious health conditions and are likely to die within months anyway.

Have to say that I can certainly agree with those who are running out of patience with petty rule-enforcers. I've not really snapped at any of them yet - but there have been several occasions where I've been challenged about masks on entering a shop and have just walked straight out again.

alxndr

Established Member
Interesting to see that other people have also found that things are tougher for them post-lockdown than they were during lockdown.
I suspect that I'm probably alone though in wishing that we'd just go back to lockdown for my (personal) mental health as things were a lot easier to deal with then. I might not have been doing great then, and certainly had major struggles with the changes in the world and achieving basic tasks such as getting something to eat, but at least then I didn't have to see everyone else going about their business as if nothing was wrong.

The hardest thing for me has always been things changing. I'm not terrified of the virus as I'm statistically unlikely to die, and if I die then I won't care as I'm dead, (although I'm perhaps a little more concerned now that the concept of "long covid" has come into existence). What has got to me though is the changes. I struggle with change and everything has changed. I was unable to go shopping for a significant period of time because the process of doing so had changed. Then it changed again. And again. After each change it took a few weeks, a load of research, and dire need to get me to go back into a shop. On a graph of my weight you can clearly see the dips where the measures changed and I started rationing the food I had left to delay the need to face shopping.

But at least during the height of it I wasn't alone. There were other people finding things difficult, there were other people who weren't shopping, and it didn't seem all that strange that I was finding it hard. Now I get to hear all about the people who are going on holiday, out shopping for fun, back in the gym... and I still can't bring myself to tackle doing those things. Then I feel like a failure.

I have two weeks off coming up and I'm dreading them. When I'm in work things feel normal and I know what I'm doing. In a lot of ways work is better than it's ever been for me. Measures to enable working at home allow me to prepare for what doing before I get there, and I get my own vehicle and space. When I'm not at work though I'm stuck on my own in the midst of a world that I no longer understand, surrounded by people who have successfully adjusted to it.

Not universally true, James Paget near Great Yarmouth has a one way system, some tape, and a designated shouty man on the door. Ironically the handwashing facilities just inside the main entrance were taped off.

Crossover

Established Member
I suspect that I'm probably alone though in wishing that we'd just go back to lockdown for my (personal) mental health as things were a lot easier to deal with then.

For my own mental health, in some ways, I think I may also find it easier as well, vice the Hokey Cokey we have. However, such a thought is from a fairly self-centered, single and isolated viewpoint. The ramifications of doing such are unthinkable (as is discussed elsewhere) and I would never advocate another such lockdown

alxndr

Established Member
For my own mental health, in some ways, I think I may also find it easier as well, vice the Hokey Cokey we have. However, such a thought is from a fairly self-centered, single and isolated viewpoint. The ramifications of doing such are unthinkable (as is discussed elsewhere) and I would never advocate another such lockdown
Oh agreed, I wouldn't want to impose it on everyone as I know it's not sustainable long term, and was much harder on those who are used to seeing family/friends on a regular basis.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
For those who are genuinely struggling with their mental health, in the first instance, speak to your closest and most trustworthy friends. Avoid getting into the whys and wherefores of the situation, and just talk about how you're feeling.

If you don't feel that you can do that, worried about opening up to someone you know or fear being judged, then perhaps these may be of help:

Similarly, if you're ok but think someone you know might not be:
  1. Check to see if they're how they are. Even if you can't meet up, having a phone or video call or just a text or whatsapp to let them know you are there and ready to listen is a real support
  2. If someone wants to speak, let them and just listen; sometimes just having an outlet to discuss feelings is enough and you don't need to offer advice or "fix them"
  3. However, if you've reached out and you're concerned they're not being entirely candid, ask questions (carefully with interest and empathy) as it might just get them to open up
Finally, as the late Dave Allan used to say.... may your God go with you.

Yew

Established Member
For those who are genuinely struggling with their mental health, in the first instance, speak to your closest and most trustworthy friends. Avoid getting into the whys and wherefores of the situation, and just talk about how you're feeling.

If you don't feel that you can do that, worried about opening up to someone you know or fear being judged, then perhaps these may be of help:

1. Check to see if they're how they are. Even if you can't meet up, having a phone or video call or just a text or whatsapp to let them know you are there and ready to listen is a real support
  2. If someone wants to speak, let them and just listen; sometimes just having an outlet to discuss feelings is enough and you don't need to offer advice or "fix them"
  3. However, if you've reached out and you're concerned they're not being entirely candid, ask questions (carefully with interest and empathy) as it might just get them to open up

Whilst useful steps, it's not going to help the fact that our government is instituting a campaign of psychological torture against us; which increasingly seems to have no end in sight, or change in direction.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

If the BBC were to repeat some of the late Dave Allan's TV series, that would certainly improve my outlook !

I've voted YES and quite badly to the above poll.
Last year I was a second year student in a city in Scotland. I had classes in university, which I usually went to, as it meant I got to see other people and ask questions etc. It also gave some structure to the day and meant I was going outside most days. I also worked one day a week in a small retail unit in a "shopping centre"; this was beneficial as it gave structure to the week, helped me be more confident in general as well as with the general public, allowed me to make more friends from the other staff in the shopping centre, and was a nice little source of income.
This year I'm a third year student. 100% of my classes are online, and we've been told, effectively, "you must not come into any university building, unless you've pre-booked a space in the library/computer". I've not done this as I'm technically able to do work from home thus leaving the uni computers available to those who can't. The effect of this though is that I haven't been into university physically since last March (when it was cancelled just before lockdown). All the uni classes are online and recorded. The university societies are all also online-only, and apparently the student union has told them "you must not meet up (even in small groups outside)".
I have also been made redundant from my job (and had been on furlough since March), which I didn't mind too much initially as it leaves me more time to do uni work.
However this all has the unfortunate result that 100% of the things I need to do involve me sitting in my room, by myself, in front of my computer. This was absolutely fine for the first two weeks; from then until the end of last week I was really struggling with it but I did manage it. However since last week I've just completely run out of motivation for it any more. I'd been struggling to focus and concentrate on the work, my days/weeks have no structure now (as I'd end up doing uni work 7 days a week), my physical health has got worse as I didn't have the time or energy to go out for walks, my mental health was getting worse as I couldn't see any of my friends, etc etc. This past week I've ended up getting the slowest direct bus route possible, to the furthest away shops possible, to do my shopping, just because it gets me out of the flat, something better to do, etc, and putting uni work to the side. I'd much rather do this than be stuck inside my flat.
I'm not supposed to, but next week I'm going to go back to where my parents (+ pet cat) stay for a few days, and I'll see if I can better focus on work there (I haven't done this yet as they stay 3 1/2 hours away). If there is another country-wide lockdown - which, if I'm honest, I can 100% see happening - I'm seriously considering spending at least some of it with my parents.

So to answer the question, yes, the ongoing restrictions/uncertainty of what's happening next, is having a negative effect on my physical/mental health.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Whilst useful steps, it's not going to help the fact that our government is instituting a campaign of psychological torture against us; which increasingly seems to have no end in sight, or change in direction.

I was highlighting the options and avenues for help/helping. More useful than your statements, I would suggest.

If the BBC were to repeat some of the late Dave Allan's TV series, that would certainly improve my outlook !

Indeed - a true comedic genius that I never thought got the credit that he deserved. Mind you, as with some 70s stuff, there is the odd thing that hasn't dated so well but sure they could pull together a compilation show(s)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
But that's trying to find a cure when prevention would be better?

I don't think that a cure was being proffered or, if it was, it won't be immediate.

Therefore, I reiterate for those that who are genuinely struggling NOW with their mental health, in the first instance, speak to your closest and most trustworthy friends and try to talk about how you're feeling.

For those who can't do that for whatever reason, then these may be of help:

• NHS
    Mental Health Helpline for Urgent Help - NHS
    Find NHS urgent mental health helplines for people of all ages. Call for 24-hour support from a local service to help you with a mental health emergency.
    www.nhs.uk
    www.nhs.uk
  • MIND
    using this tool
  • The Samaritans 24/7 Helpline - 116 123 or https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/

This is worrying, the London Ambulance service sent a tweet 2 days ago revealing the dramatic increase in attending suicides or attempted suicides per day, increasing from 22 last year to 37 now:

View attachment 85248

This of course is just for London, and the longer we ignore the wider picture, the worse it will get.

With respect, this was posted during the excellent and upsetting BBC programme Ambulance. I appreciate your point and it is valid but I'd suggest you watch the programme so a) the tweet is in context and b) it is truly enlightening and informative, upsetting and even uplifting.

Nonetheless, I fully agree that mental health is an area that must be considered, not just the physical considerations of Covid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.