• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long term restrictions, lockdowns, etc and the implications on mental health

Is your mental health suffering as a result of Coronavirus fatigue, ongoing restrictions, etc?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
I think we need a new poll now that the latest lockdown has been announced. Surely can't be many left now in the "I'm perfectly fine" camp, especially as we are a collection of travel lovers.

I expect some people may be feeling differently now, or will do soon. But we don't need a new poll, as forum members can just change their votes if they wish to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
I think we need a new poll now that the latest lockdown has been announced. Surely can't be many left now in the "I'm perfectly fine" camp, especially as we are a collection of travel lovers.
Out of curiosity, why have none of the 27 in the "I'm absolutely fine" group not posted a reply
to this discussion to explain how/why their mental health has been unaffected, as I for one
(hovering between 'mildly' and 'badly' on a daily basis) would dearly love to know what their
secret is!!! o_O

More specifically, are the "absolutely fine" from any particular demographic, such as (as I suspect)
pensioners living in rural/semi rural areas with paid off mortgages???

MARK

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, why have none of the 27 in the "I'm absolutely fine" group not posted a reply
to this discussion to explain how/why their mental health has been unaffected, as I for one
(hovering between 'mildly' and 'badly' on a daily basis) would dearly love to know what their
secret is!!! o_O

More specifically, are the "absolutely fine" from any particular demographic, such as (as I suspect)

I'm not a rural pensioner. I'm 53 and live in an urban area.

My secret? Realising that the savings from not travelling for a few weeks can fund bigger, better travel when it is allowed. For instance, in August this year I did an all line rover funded entirely from the trips I couldn't do between mid March and late June. I also made use of the enforced grounding to catch up on a lot of stuff that had got backlogged.

The working at home stuff isn't as good as being able to work in the office, though, but I am one of only two staff who have access granted to go in at least once a month to frank the post for a regular big despatch - after all, we can't take the franking machine home, although everything else ( Purchase Orders, invoices, troubleshooting, compiling monthly budget reports, preparing and printing labels and letters, packing things - that can all be done at home albeit at a lower efficiency compared to being in the office.

The greatest risk to my mental health during a lockdown of any duration is being cooped up with my wife...

adc82140

Established Member
I've swapped to the"quite badly" camp now. Maybe it's because I suffer from SAD anyway. Maybe it's because I have a headache and nausea I just can't shake off. Maybe it's because I fall into the burned out healthcare worker category.

I feel better outdoors , doing something physical. Today I was raking leaves. Tomorrow I will go back to work. But work is a struggle, I just cannot bear to see how we are treating some groups of people coming to hospital. I mentioned last week a patient who had just received the worst news (potentially terminal cancer) and her family were forbidden from accompanying her to her scan appointment. The look on her face will stick with me for a long time. What have we become?

On a selfish level, I need to plan my life in advance. It's how I function. But anything more than a week ahead is out of the question. I'm probably slightly on the Spectrum, so this bothers me a lot.

On Saturday I was going to take the family to the beach for an hour or so,blow off the cobwebs. Apparently this isn't allowed any more. We'll eff the lot of them, we're going. It's a half hour drive, and never mind two metres, we'll be 200 metres from the next person. I'll pay the damned fine.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On Saturday I was going to take the family to the beach for an hour or so,blow off the cobwebs. Apparently this isn't allowed any more. We'll eff the lot of them, we're going. It's a half hour drive, and never mind two metres, we'll be 200 metres from the next person. I'll pay the damned fine.

Where does it say that ?

I was under the impression that outdoor activities (including the beach) were allowed !

adc82140

Established Member
Where does it say that ?

I was under the impression that outdoor activities (including the beach) were allowed !
I guess then it's the usual what did Boris say/what is the actual law conundrum and which one will plod try to enforce. Whatever it is it doesn't help.

MikeWM

Established Member
Yes, unfortunately we're back at having big mismatches between law and advice.

The law says it is ok 'to visit a public outdoor place for the purposes of open air recreation'. There is no mention of how far you may or may not go to do so, or whether eg. you can't go to a beach if there are parks closer by.

The guidance however says:

If you live in England, you cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:
- to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

which would seem to exclude travelling lost distances if there are suitable places closer to home.

('Spend time *or* exercise' is an interesting turn of phrase - hopefully we won't see police telling people off for sitting on park benches this time around).

As usual, it is a bit of a mess.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I guess then it's the usual what did Boris say/what is the actual law conundrum and which one will plod try to enforce. Whatever it is it doesn't help.

I think the guidance mentions something about being allowed to go to "venues" that remain open. I would have thought that includes beaches.

Richard Scott

Established Member
On a selfish level, I need to plan my life in advance. It's how I function. But anything more than a week ahead is out of the question. I'm probably slightly on the Spectrum, so this bothers me a lot.
This is my issue, I like to know what I'm doing over a long period, I enjoy travelling and need something to look forward to. In the current climate this isn't happening. It's no good people saying 'oh but it won't hurt you not to do this or that', I'm afraid it's part of who I am and could do without their lecture.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, unfortunately we're back at having big mismatches between law and advice.

The law says it is ok 'to visit a public outdoor place for the purposes of open air recreation'. There is no mention of how far you may or may not go to do so, or whether eg. you can't go to a beach if there are parks closer by.

The guidance however says:

which would seem to exclude travelling lost distances if there are suitable places closer to home.

('Spend time *or* exercise' is an interesting turn of phrase - hopefully we won't see police telling people off for sitting on park benches this time around).

As usual, it is a bit of a mess.

I don't think they contradict eachother that much. I interpret it that it's probably not within the spirit of it to dissappear up into the Highlands for a weeks camping, but you're ok on a daytrip to a beach or nature reserve.

adc82140

Established Member
I don't think they contradict eachother that much. I interpret it that it's probably not within the spirit of it to dissappear up into the Highlands for a weeks camping, but you're ok on a daytrip to a beach or nature reserve.
One of the eeyores, I forget which one, either Whitty, Hancock or Gove said no day trips.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
One of the eeyores, I forget which one, either Whitty, Hancock or Gove said no day trips.

Perhaps we're allowed to run along the beach but not walk along it !

I don't bother with the TV show. Stick with the guidance :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
secret is!!! o_O

MARK

OK then....

Under 50, but paid off the mortgage, and live in a town. (a mix of ticks crosses there!)

- Working from home, which was implemented by my employer once they got a VPN up and running around a month after lockdown - I can do around 95% of my job at home. Prior to that, the amount of work that could be done was limited to around one day a week, I used that time to get on with some (long overdue) jobs at home, as well as getting some stuff watched on the TV (including the whole series of Minder from Series 1 right to the end!). Working from home saves me money with the commute and around an hour a day. No distractions in the office, or pointless meetings (just the occasional on zoom), I think I'm more productive. Ideally, I'd like to have a mix of home/office working in the future. I've met up with a couple of colleagues socially.

- Books. Managed to read 2 or 3 of the (many) railway books I've bought but never found time to read properly. Might get one or two more read in the next month, as well as some DVDs I've never watched. There's a new 'Blue Pullman' book, but as I'm only half way through the earlier edition (the current book on the go), I probably won't bother with it...

- Railways. I was lucky that my local line, normally unit only, had some engineers trains in May/June, with associated light engine route learners throughout April. I would go out for these most days, tied in with a walk/exercise. Found several new places within a 2-3 mile distance from home where I'd never taken pictures. It also gave me the opportunity to do many other walks in the local area. There are some lovely spots on my doorstep which I'd just never had the time to explore. I still ensure I have a walk each day, if the weather is rubbish only for 15 mins. Sometimes its to one of my local shops like the butchers. People say about how local shops have suffered due to people working from home, but it's the reverse effect for me. Rather than using the canteen at work, I've found myself using my local shops more, not less. The local Post Office and a couple of independent cafes/takeaways have also benefitted - I've tried to support these places, as I did with local pubs that were offering food/drink takeaways during lockdown.

- More recently with railways, I've been able to go out, since the first lockdown finished, I've managed trips out. Diesel running day at the KWVR and NVR, trips to the ELR and NYMR, a day in London, 3 days in East Anglia, a 68 trip to Scarboro a West Yorks Day Rover and 2 or 3 trips out to photograph the Staycation Express. Several of these have given me chance to catch up with people, others have been on my own. I like getting my new engines in the book and I've got 5 winners since March which isn't bad. In the past month, there's been the RHTT so I've had a few short days out chasing that. And I've got some notes/records a bit more up to date, but still plenty more to do which will keep me busy the next few weeks.. Plus it's given me time to come up with ideas for future projects.

- Socially, I think I ended up talking to my neighbours more one day than I have in the years we have lived next to each other - more than just a 'hello' now! Throughout lockdown, I did shopping for my parents and would leave the stuff for them by the door then spend 30 mins chatting through the kitchen window to avoid going into the house, so we maintained face to face contact to a degree. Obviously I was unable to see my friends as normal, but we kept in touch electronically and have been able to meet up since June(?). The pubs are slightly different, but in some ways better. No annoying people sat in front of the pump clips for a start. For the next month, any get-togethers will will have to be 1 to 1, tied in with a local walk or similar, not the end of the world.

- Things have been different - last year I had 6 or 7 trips abroad, this year none - but I've adapted and found different things to do which have been enjoyable (one being a visit to Yorkshire Wildlife Park, don't think I'd have ever found time to do it pre-Covid) and broadened my horizons. I've tried to stay positive and my glass is certainly half full! Have I gone wrong somewhere!?

Last edited:

david1212

Established Member
So far overall ' very mildly ' would be more realistic than ' quite mildly '.

However I always find the clocks going back and the winter weather depressing. OT but keeping summer time so instead dark mornings wouldn't change this as still the same number of hours of daylight.

When work has been busy Christmas is a break to relax and catch up with a jobs. However this year with holiday still to take before the end of the year so time for doing jobs it could be a drag. Work is already quiet. From January if not before I could be on furlough. The change of policy short term will reduce the financial pressure for both me and the employer but long term prospects are not good. Therefore there is a real risk of a much bigger impact on my mental health by the end of March.

hst43102

I'm generally a very positive person, but the last month or so has really been wearing me down. I've just started university and moved out of home, which should be a great experience and lots of fun. However, even though I love my course, accommodation and the city I'm in, I really resent the lack of being able to do things in person. Sitting in my room in front of a computer for nearly all the day gets very monotonous, and I've been able to meet very few people face-to-face. Luckily, I'm a member of this wonderful forum and reading all the interesting discussions on here has really kept me going.

bengley

Established Member
Well, my partner and I thought we'd use common sense and carry on seeing each other throughout any lockdown. Indeed we had been meeting (indoors) despite tier 3 - we are in a 'bubble'.

Yesterday he told me, despite previously being skeptical of the restrictions himself, that he and his housemates had collectively decided that they were going to follow the lockdown stringently and that we could only meet outdoors :rolleyes:

That's done a lot for my mental wellbeing considering I live on my own.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'm in the "slight" category until hospitality reopens and movement becomes a bit more free again.

At least we stand a good chance that things will get moving again from the 3rd of December.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Well, my partner and I thought we'd use common sense and carry on seeing each other throughout any lockdown. Indeed we had been meeting (indoors) despite tier 3 - we are in a 'bubble'.

Yesterday he told me, despite previously being skeptical of the restrictions himself, that he and his housemates had collectively decided that they were going to follow the lockdown stringently and that we could only meet outdoors :rolleyes:

That's done a lot for my mental wellbeing considering I live on my own.

I think I am right in saying that, under the current lockdown restrictions, as you live on your own, you can still have a support bubble with his household which allows you visit him at his place/him to visit you and even stay over. Or is he and his housemates wanting to go a step further than what is allowed?

Crossover

Established Member
I think I am right in saying that, under the current lockdown restrictions, as you live on your own, you can still have a support bubble with his household which allows you visit him at his place/him to visit you and even stay over. Or is he and his housemates wanting to go a step further than what is allowed?
Presumably that would require the housemates to agree to be in said bubble (playing by the book)

35B

Established Member
secret is!!! o_O

MARK
I'm one of the now 33, having erred to "absolutely fine" rather than "mildly". I've been able to get stuff done at home that's been sitting for ages, and work has continued more or less as normal (we already had the necessary kit and connections to work routinely from home). The worst period was lockdown 1 when the kids weren't in school, and were struggling with the way work was being set; now they're back in we're back to the normal moans and groans of secondary age kids.

I do find the lack of contact with colleagues hard; there's a lot to be said from simply being able to meet up and chat in the office, which we simply don't get now. That means I'm not working at full efficiency, but not in a way that I'd in any way suggest that my underlying mental health has been affected.

adc82140

Established Member
I think I'm starting to form a coping strategy:

1. The government Covid dashboard is off limits.

2. As are the news websites for a lot of the time. I'm allowing myself a couple of Covid check ins a day. The US election on the other hand is compelling and I'm looking at that rather a lot.

3. With no offence intended to any of the good people on this forum, I'm giving it a rest for a while. I'll restrict my viewing to the rail related bits. (and the bus sub Forum). It's not one of those attention seeking flounces. I will still view and post occasionally. Just not as often.

4. No arguing on Facebook! Well not about Covid anyway.

Last edited:

WM Bus

There was a Sikh older man lying in the middle of the road earlier, trying to get the oncoming traffic to go over him basically. Members of the public got him out of the road and he went back out again lying down as he went out so the traffic doesn't see him.
He was drinking as well.
By the Washwood Heath Road, Foley Road bus stop in Ward End (towards Chelmsley Wood bus stop).
Shocking to see.

packermac

secret is!!! o_O

MARK
Yes I am retired, live at the coast, have paid off the mortgage (despite upsizing when we moved from London) and can watch a heritage steam railway from the lounge, office or bedroom windows.
But from my point of view this has been far easier than the last 11 years 4 months of my working life, where the threat of redundancy, and hence its impact on my pension and the obvious almost certainty of not being able to get another job loomed large.
My world like most in aviation changed on September 11 2001, when actually we were mid Atlantic when the towers went down. We ended up in Halifax and I remember my wife saying only half joking "I do not want to be a Canadian".
From then on it was all stress (if you count that as a mental health issue, although not sure I do) as even in the good years we were still looking to cull staff.
I must admit I had always found holidays a time where you got stabbed in the back in your absence, so left to me I would probably never of taken them, and whereas most probably counted down to their holiday, I tended to count down to going home when we were away, but we went for my wife's sake. Then she started getting ill flying so we gave up foreign trips, she misses it I do not, same as when I stopped going to motor races in the UK and overseas, 6 months in you get used to not doing it.
I used to like days out to Heritage Lines and stewarding mainline tours, but moving to Dorset reduced that as it takes so long to get anywhere by road and stewarding means 2 nights hotel in London plus petrol at my cost, so far fewer of them, but again have gotten used to it.
We still run a small online business so my 5 days a week to the Post Office (to coincide with arrivals or departures on the railway) has turned into perhaps 5 times since lockdown 1 ended. We buy stamps on line, I drive to a post box out of town where mostly I am the only one around (my wife is in the at risk group for a number of medical reasons).
I only go and photograph the railway here if I can be sure of being the only person there, so nothing in the station area near where the house is.
I rarely went to the beach (500 yards) anyway, have not seen my Dad (who lived 300 yards away) since March, as he is 94 and in the "I will just keep going out brigade", so it is protecting us from him.
I have only been off Purbeck 3 times, to take my wife to Poole Hospital since March 2, and we went into a semi lockdown, that we have continued all the time since then.
I have got used to it, although I feel guilty when I watch the cycling on TV (which I enjoy) as bearing in mind the status in France, Italy and Spain I feel these events should not have taken place.
Yes I suspect it is far worse if you are working, and I feel sorry for those impacted and losing their jobs. But personally if I never went to another restaurant it would be too soon, and pubs are OK, but I can do without them.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I will openly admit I'm already feeling a bit fed and sorry for myself. Like other forum members have said - the first lockdown didn't feel too bad as we had nice warm dry weather and the clocks went forward the weekend after Boris made his big announcement on the 23rd March.

There was also optimism during the original lockdown that the virus was a 'blip' and the country could be back to normal by September/end of Summer.

Unfortunately, there is no optimism now because I'm feeling that this mess is never going to end. The Chancellor's announcement that furlough is being extended until March 2021, just feels like an indication the potential of a third lockdown before the Spring is a real possibility because the government have already put 'buffers' in place to protect the economy and jobs.

One of the things that unsettled me was reading about the Spanish Flu. That lasted two years from 1918 to 1920 and involved four waves.

I'm starting to make comparisons that if this is a second wave of Covid19 and there are two more to come, could we still be living like this by the Spring of 2022?

CJ

yorksrob

Veteran Member
One of the things that unsettled me was reading about the Spanish Flu. That lasted two years from 1918 to 1920 and involved four waves.

I'm starting to make comparisons that if this is a second wave of Covid19 and there are two more to come, could we still be living like this by the Spring of 2022?

CJ

One can only hope it's followed by another "roaring twenties" complete with boozy partying ! (we can miss out some of the bits afterwards though !)

35B

Established Member
What they say and what the law states may be two different things. I would stick with the law.
In which case, I presume that you won't be taking extensive day trips. The phrase "reasonably necessary" crops up repeatedly in the list of defined reasons; I'm struggling to think why it would be reasonably necessary within the gathering limits to go a significant distance from my home under those permissions.

greyman42

Established Member
In which case, I presume that you won't be taking extensive day trips. The phrase "reasonably necessary" crops up repeatedly in the list of defined reasons; I'm struggling to think why it would be reasonably necessary within the gathering limits to go a significant distance from my home under those permissions.
If you lived in a city in the north of England you may well consider it reasonable to travel to the Yorkshire Dales for some outdoor recreation/exercise and to help your mental wellbeing. I would see no problem in such a journey

Class 33

Established Member
Interesting to see that since the national lockdown was announced and implemented, the "No I'm absolutely fine!" vote is actually increasing. At the start of the week it was 18%, yet it's now at 21%!

Status
Not open for further replies.